BajaNomad

Maiden fishing voyage of Juan's new panga a success!

shari - 1-21-2008 at 05:11 PM

Our new panga performed well on her maiden voyage in Asuncion. Juan took 4 big guys who flew in here from Oregon to fish. Even though it was a full moon(not good for fishing) they found fish 2 miles off of San Pablo and had a blast losing more fish than they caught! and they saw lots of whales passing by as they fished. Juan doesn't have the new bigger motor on yet as he's missing a steering wheel but he was really happy with the more spacious panga.

IMG_6469-2.JPG - 37kB

shari - 1-21-2008 at 05:12 PM

Juan pouring mexican champagne (Tecate) to christen the new panga!

[Edited on 1-22-2008 by shari]

IMG_6467.JPG - 30kB

shari - 1-21-2008 at 05:14 PM

this panga's first sunrise in Asuncion...lovely sight!

IMG_6472.JPG - 22kB

Bajagypsy - 1-21-2008 at 05:16 PM

Beatuiful pictures Shari

fishbuck - 1-21-2008 at 05:26 PM

Wow, looks beautiful all painted-up! My collar bone is about 3/4 healed so maybe I can fish now!

fishbuck - 1-21-2008 at 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajagypsy
Beatuiful pictures Shari

Hey Gypsies! How long did it take to drive from San Diego to Shari's. Was it difficult to do in 1 day? Sounds painful! But I might try.

Sunman - 1-21-2008 at 05:39 PM

Shari,
Pass my congrats to Juan, she's a beauty!

Barry A. - 1-21-2008 at 05:43 PM

Shari-----

Ahhhhhh, a NEW panga!!! Panga's are beautiful, and Juan's is, of course, beautiful too.

Congrats to both of you------nothing like a new boat to raise one's spirits!!!:yes:

barry

Bajagypsy - 1-21-2008 at 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fishbuck
Quote:
Beatuiful pictures Shari

Hey Gypsies! How long did it take to drive from San Diego to Shari's. Was it difficult to do in 1 day? Sounds painful! But I might try.

It is a good 12 hours driving like my husband does:lol:. I think it is probably closer to 14 or so hours, not many people drive as fast as he does.:o

Bajaboy - 1-21-2008 at 06:07 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Beatuiful pictures Shari

It is a good 12 hours driving like my husband does:lol:. I think it is probably closer to 14 or so hours, not many people drive as fast as he does.:o

11-12 hours from our door in SD to our door in Asuncion. We get pesos at the third toll booth, gas at El Rosario, gas at Vizcaino (beer and chips across the street), switch over to Sirius Blues and take our time on the dirt road. I don't really drive very fast but we limit our stops. Of course this time of year there is more traffic and thus will add a bit more time.

Zac

Bajaboy - 1-21-2008 at 06:08 PM

Hey Shari-

I'm so excited for you and Juan. Bigger boat means bigger fish...right?! Can't wait to see you in March.

Zac

fishbuck - 1-21-2008 at 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Beatuiful pictures Shari

11-12 hours from our door in SD to our door in Asuncion. We get pesos at the third toll booth, gas at El Rosario, gas at Vizcaino (beer and chips across the street), switch over to Sirius Blues and take our time on the dirt road. I don't really drive very fast but we limit our stops. Of course this time of year there is more traffic and thus will add a bit more time.

Zac

More traffic?
Still not a bad idea to do it with a stop at San Quintin( or El Rosario ). I have about 1.5hrs more from Costa Mesa.
I drive a little fast. There's a couple of spots there that I hit 100mph. Mostly 80-90 on the straight parts.
Can't wait to start flying down. It will be much safer.

ELINVESTIG8R - 1-21-2008 at 06:51 PM

Juan y Shari que Dios Bendiga su nuevo Panga y que te traiga mucho suerte Hoy Manana y en el futuro.

Bajaboy - 1-21-2008 at 06:59 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Beatuiful pictures Shari

Zac

More traffic?
Still not a bad idea to do it with a stop at San Quintin( or El Rosario ). I have about 1.5hrs more from Costa Mesa.
I drive a little fast. There's a couple of spots there that I hit 100mph. Mostly 80-90 on the straight parts.
Can't wait to start flying down. It will be much safer.

Yep, much more traffic in winter than summer months. This time of year you have snowbirds and the RVs. 100mph....you're hauling booty!

Zac

Al G - 1-21-2008 at 07:02 PM

Nice Shari...really great looking. Was going to offer to bring my equipment and paint it for you, but looks like someone did a great Job already:coolup:.

DianaT - 1-21-2008 at 07:12 PM

Juan did a great job and the panga looks great. :yes::yes:

shari - 1-21-2008 at 07:17 PM

thanks everyone...we are really excited about this papa panga to accompany mama and baby panga...grandpa panga is next get prettied up. The moonset was outstanding this morning although fishing usually sucks at full moon...but we're having sashimi anyway...hee hee!

Bajaboy - 1-21-2008 at 07:23 PM

Ah Shari-

Fishing never sucks....catching on the other hand.....

Zac

Bob H - 1-21-2008 at 07:26 PM

Wow...a new panga equals one happy
fisherman (Juan:tumble: )
Congrats!
Bob H

[Edited on 1-22-2008 by Bob H]

Iflyfish - 1-21-2008 at 07:48 PM

Wow! Now your talkin! Beautiful boat, there will be many a fine fish over those sides!

Nice to see Juan pouring the Tecate on the boat before drinking it, I have been known to do it the other way around.

Iflyfish

SHARI

BAJACAT - 1-22-2008 at 11:03 AM

I don't see a name on this bellissima Panga?,does IT have a name,what about SIRENA DEL MAR

Pompano - 1-22-2008 at 01:27 PM

That's a great thought, BAJACAT. But maybe a bit long for the vhf radio...or could just radio 'Sirena' for short. Looks like a real fun ride, Juan...good luck with her and good fishing!

shari - 1-22-2008 at 02:13 PM

Sirena is the name of the mama panga so perhaps this will be Martita after Juan's daughter.

Tiomiguel - 1-22-2008 at 03:07 PM

Shari that is a beautiful paint job on the panga, it looks great. This looks like the smaller panga, or is it the gigantor one. Funny how it looks smaller in the water. Great job by Juan. I'm sure the new VHF and antennae will go on soon.
Baja Boy drives like Tio, that's about the same time that we made it down the first year driving. But mi amigo, you have a reason to slow down now. Take care, the extra time really does not matter so much. Even I have slowed down in Baja. Give our best to the family.
Miguel et Juanita.

shari - 1-22-2008 at 05:14 PM

Yes Tio, this is the smaller of the two we got..the grandpa panga is next to fix up when we are a bit more ummm solvent! It's weird how it looks much smaller in the water! Juan's really feliz!

fishbuck - 1-22-2008 at 09:58 PM

Shari, please ask Jaun how much longer the yellowtail will be around?

shari - 1-23-2008 at 08:56 AM

The fish move around and come and go, some days are better than others...don't come at the full moon and overcast days are not as productive either...they may last another month at least.