BajaNomad

Penn 113 4/0 question

Santiago - 1-27-2008 at 08:51 AM

I have a Penn 113 4/0 that was given to me (new) in late 90s that I don't use much any more. I have been looking around on eBay for a 60-80 pound reel that I would keep on the boat for bottom fishing in rocks and it dawned on me that maybe I could just respool the 4/0. Is this a good idea or is the reel itself too small for this kind of fishing? If it is - what kind/size would you recommend. Target fish would be larger sized yellowtail in deeper water over rocks.
Thanks

Diver - 1-27-2008 at 10:39 AM

Too small.
You need at least a 6-0 for 50 to 80 lb.
Also a good, stiff rod with rollers.

Santiago - 1-27-2008 at 10:54 AM

Thanks - kinda what I thought. Gave away my 6/0 but at least I kept my roller rod.

Hook - 1-27-2008 at 11:14 AM

You can make this reel work, if your definition of deeper water is 200 feet or less. Just re-spool with spectra and put a short topshot of mono on it.

I'd upgrade the frame and the drag system if it is stock, though.

Besides, the weight and bulk of 6/0 reels turns me off.

Santiago - 1-27-2008 at 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by whistler
Is it a red or black 4/0? If it is a black 4/0 I would say no because of the drag.Like Diver said it is a bit small but you might be able to get away with it.Depends on the depth you will be fishing.

Explain the color - is it that they stopped making the black at a certain time or are you talking about the difference between the older senators and the newer specials? This reel is red and was made in the late 1990s I suspect.
Speaking of Penn side plates and color - there is a Penn 209 with green side plates (I've never seen the green before) on eBay currently at $175!!!! I'm tearing one down for a friend and needed a side plate when I ran accross it. Must be a couple of collectors going at it.
http://cgi.ebay.com/GREEN-Penn-No-209-Level-Wind-Fishing-Ree...

comitan - 1-27-2008 at 12:45 PM

Santiago

If your reel is a 113HLW it will work for what you want.

Al G - 1-27-2008 at 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by comitan
Santiago

If your reel is a 113HLW it will work for what you want.

I am glad you said that...because I am not a knowledgeable Saltwater pescador. This is what I have (113HLW)for sub 100#ders...with 60# Strean Super braid and 100# top shot. OHHHH...maybe 600 yards...not likely to be spooled I hope...the big advantage of the 113 HLW (W for wide) is it is maybe 1/2"+- wider then the rest of the 4/0's. I use composite spool for casting and Brass spool for trolling, and bottom....all good and fine, but I have not caught any over 10# yet....:lol:
Also it has Penn's super 4/0 drag too. This Penn's upgrade to their Baja 4/0.

Al G - 1-27-2008 at 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by whistler
The older "black" 4/0's had a slower retrieve and smaller drags.
Your red 4/0 will work ok if you are fishing shallow water like Hook said.I don't like using braided line the rocks ,though.Just run a heavy leader,like 175lb mono.

WoW:o...175# !!! Now I got to go to the tackle store...knew I would find a good reason...:lol:

Al G - 1-27-2008 at 02:48 PM

And dirtybird said I needed to get a life...what better life is there:?::lol::lol::cool:

Al G - 1-27-2008 at 04:21 PM

Sure wish I could see that picture...:(:biggrin:

Al G - 1-27-2008 at 04:43 PM

Now I am impressed...WoW...now I have high hopes...go 4/0:tumble:

Pescador - 1-27-2008 at 05:05 PM

The red 4/0 is fine and the drags will hold up. They probably need to be cleaned and regreased with a little Cal's grease but this reel is strong enough to do the job. I fish it for San Marcos yellowtail all the time and it will work fine with 60 lb string. If you are fishing straight down and not trolling you are fine with normal capacities and do not really need spectra which adds the complication of a knot that will hold up over 40%of breaking strength.
Roller rods are only effective when targeting fish like tuna which pull off a lot of line and they will keep the line from getting hot. For fish like Yellowtail and grouper, they are more of a nuisance since they take quite a bit of maintence to keep them operating smoothly.
I only step up into the 6/0 category when I need the increased line capacity such as trolling for Marlin and Sails and even then the 4/0 will usually handle the job well since it hold a ton of 30 and 40 lb line which is sufficient for the bigger billfish.

Don Alley - 1-27-2008 at 06:15 PM

Pescador's reply looks good to me.

You don't need a lot of line capacity for most uses of 60lb. BIG pelagics are the exception, but for most striped marlin and sailfish 30-40 pound line is fine.

I mostly quit using rollers. The newer guides are great for abrasion, don't require the inspection/maintenance of rollers, and since I roll my own I like the cool colors they come in now. Like holographic...:cool:

The only concern is that I don't think I get as much drag out of my 113 as I'd like for 60 lb structure fishing, where I ramp up the drags over the standard 25-33% (15-20lbs). So I use an Avet now.

Yes, you can spend a bunch of money and get a much better reel.

And have the big ones still rock you from time to time anyway. Some fish just don't recognize quality!:lol:

Al G - 1-27-2008 at 06:26 PM

The price is why I chose 113HLW Reels @$125. Wanted to learn cheap...

losfrailes - 1-27-2008 at 06:53 PM

Santiago,

Taking the chance that I might actually pee someone off, you can count on what Pescador says. He is far and away the best damn fisherman in this area.

He works hard at it and does a fantastic job.

And if Minnow were able to respond he would have something negative to add. Don't pay any attention to the naysayers, Pescado knows what he is doing.

Buen suerte!

bajaandy - 1-27-2008 at 07:48 PM

Just my opinion, but the 113 4/0 ought to do just fine for what you want to do. Holds a large amount of 30-40 pound (even 50 if you want). Sure, it won't retrive as fast as a newer two speed, and the drags should be upgraded (easy to do, and cheap), but you wouldn't be asking this question if you could afford to just go out and purchase a brand spankin new rig. I say fish it til it breaks, then get a new one!

Pescador - 1-27-2008 at 09:01 PM

I have a couple of 113's that I have tricked out and they will pull 40 lbs of drag which is more than most people can safely use and they work like a charm. Of course I fish mostly with Avets now as the anti-reverse on the Shimano's is the absolute pits. I have blown out 3 of them in the last couple of years. The one thing I love about the old Penns is that they are as close to bulletproof as they come. When I have friends who come to visit and go fishing that is the outfit I set them up with. They do not have two speed or anything fancy, but they will work, do the job, parts are easy to obtain, and they are a dream to overhaul and work on. One reel I have is over 9 years old, has caught a lot of yellowtail over the years as well as Blue Marlin, Striped Marlin, Sailfish and just keeps doing the job it was designed to do. When someone is able to design a reel for $100 that does the job of this reel, I will be first in line to buy a dozen.
We have a trite description of fishermen who buy lots of expensive reels to show off with and we refer to them as "Tackle Ho's" but for the most part I would like any of them to show me a better $100 reel on the market.
So just relax, put on the line that you need to use and figure that you want the drags set at 25% of breaking strength of the line and catch a batch of fish and when your lottery ticket comes in come up and buy some of my Avets, Accurates, and Penn Internationals.

[Edited on 1-28-2008 by Pescador]

Don Alley - 1-27-2008 at 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
I have a couple of 113's that I have tricked out and they will pull 40 lbs of drag...

Wow. I can get only half that. How'd you do it?

Cypress - 1-28-2008 at 01:49 PM

Lucky Me! Have met both Pescador and Don Alley. Fishermen. When they speak of fishing, pay close attention.:)

Don Alley - 1-28-2008 at 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
Lucky Me! Have met both Pescador and Don Alley. Fishermen. When they speak of fishing, pay close attention.:)

Hah! I went out today. No yellowtail. One cabrilla. I can't catch fish that aren't trout.

But next time I'll try a different color reel.

Oh, and I got a HOT tip from a local pangero: "Carry two red apples on board; don't eat them until after you've finished fishing."

I just know it will be LIMITS next trip!:lol:

Pescador - 1-28-2008 at 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Alley
Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
I have a couple of 113's that I have tricked out and they will pull 40 lbs of drag...

Wow. I can get only half that. How'd you do it?

Changed out the bevel washer for one that is thicker and stronger and have special drag washers. It is just to the point where freespool is starting to be effected so it is not usually recomended. Hawk from Allcoast helped me set them up.