BajaNomad

Minitrip to tordillo near Asuncion

shari - 2-3-2008 at 09:16 PM

The weather finally cleared up enough for us to go to our secret spot for some beachcombing, fishing and today's special activity was wildflower picking...I picked a huge bouquet of fabulous flowers including lots of aromatic lilac! Juan caught lunch in the first 15 minutes...yellowfin croaker????
Today was election day for our presidente municipio...I hope my amigo won.

juancroaker.jpg - 49kB

shari - 2-3-2008 at 09:17 PM

here is a better photo of our lunch

croakers.jpg - 33kB

David K - 2-4-2008 at 09:24 AM

"yellowfin croaker?"

YES

Ken Bondy - 2-4-2008 at 10:05 AM

Love the Bruin sweatshirt shari!!! I've got several just like it :lol::lol:
++Ken++

shari - 2-4-2008 at 12:34 PM

here was the flower of the day winner!

smredflower.jpg - 43kB

Sallysouth - 2-4-2008 at 02:31 PM

Wow what an awesome flower Shari! Any ID on that? i have never seen the likes in Baja..Um, I probably shouldn't say this but I will anyhow.Was that a legal size croaker?

Cypress - 2-4-2008 at 03:49 PM

shari, Thanks for the fish and flower pictures.:)

fishbuck - 2-4-2008 at 06:42 PM

Oh ya,we've got those Spotfin Croaker in San Quintin too! Bigger ones. I've caught them in Newport Harbor but I doubt if they taste as good as yours.
Ha ha. There sure are alot of secret spots down there.;)

shari - 2-5-2008 at 08:39 AM

This seems to be the size we always get at this beach...it's funny, ya get 2 (which is all we need) ane thats IT...end of bite! Smart fish..perfect personal size for lunch on the grill! absolutely deeeelicious.

rts551 - 2-5-2008 at 09:44 AM

Don't think those are spot fin croakers. Look like yellow fin

rts551 - 2-5-2008 at 09:48 AM

Notice the spot on the spotfin

wilderone - 2-5-2008 at 04:07 PM

I think it's a Baha Ruby Fairy Duster.

shari - 2-5-2008 at 06:44 PM

great name! It reminded me of indian paintbrush...there are very few of these plants in the arroyos...not very common but uncommonly beautiful!

wilderone - 2-6-2008 at 09:29 AM

I found a site that told how to cultivate them. I'll bring with.

Halboo - 2-13-2008 at 03:22 PM

I'm glad that reel is getting some use.
;)

Pappy Jon - 2-13-2008 at 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sallysouth
Wow what an awesome flower Shari! Any ID on that?

Baja fairy duster, Calliandra californica. Does well in the garden, as long as you don't freeze. Easy from seed.

Iflyfish - 2-13-2008 at 07:50 PM

La vida indeed! Great pics. Love to see Juan pics with guide service logo.

How did you cook them. Cut, salt and grill? Mmmmmmm, good.

Iflyfish

Bob H - 2-13-2008 at 08:45 PM

Nice photos! Where is this place?

Here's more info on that red flower....

http://cals.arizona.edu/pima/gardening/aridplants/Calliandra...

Bob H

shari - 2-13-2008 at 09:02 PM

Well Bob, this IS a secret spot within an hour of here that we would be happy to show you next time down...really spectacular and NOBODY there. We just cleaned then placed the fish on a grill over manzanita wood which gives the fish a lovely smoked flavor....nothing else! Delicioso. PS: Shami is growing up to be a wonderful dog...loyal and great bark!

wilderone - 2-14-2008 at 10:47 AM

"Baja fairy duster, Calliandra californica. Does well in the garden, as long as you don't freeze. Easy from seed. "

It can be grown from seed, if you can catch the seed. The pods explosively burst open, broadcasting seed for yards. If you're serious about wanting to cultivate it, it is recommended that you wrap a drying pod with cheesecloth, so that when it bursts open (optimum time to plant - not to green - not dried out), the seeds can be caught. Ain't nature wonderful?