BajaNomad

HOW GREEN IS MY BAJA?

bajabound2005 - 2-11-2008 at 05:22 PM

How Green Is My Baja?

While the rain storms of the past couple of months wreaked havoc in the fire-swept areas surrounding us, they did provide the drought-stricken peninsula with much needed water. We have never seen Baja so GREEN other than the irrigated fields. The hills, the valleys, the mesas, the arroyos, the deserts! There is green everywhere. Wildflowers are popping up all along the roadsides, daisies, poppies, wild mustard.

You notice how green that green is when you see a small olive orchard with green grass growing all under the trees. The contrast of the olive tree leaves, which are more of a gray-green, to the emerald green of the grass below is stunning.

The livestock, I think, are smiling as they graze in this treasure trove of clover. (Their owners certainly are!) Horses, cows, goats and sheep are sharing these fields of abundance. Baja cows, right now, might be just as happy as those California cows with their great cheese. We’re looking forward to some happy Baja cheese in the near future!

Even in the mud slide area – green is popping up everywhere. The soil has that added nutrient of ash in it now, making things even more lush.

We traveled as far as Mulege (from Ensenada) this past week, and it’s green from end to end. There were a couple of arroyos on Mex 1 with a trickle of water still running through them. The river just south of Colonet or Camalu, or maybe it was Vicente Guerrero (can’t remember for sure which town, but there is a long bridge that goes over it) had quite a bit of water passing through on its way to the Bahia. It looked like the whole town was in the river bed, playing in the water, washing their cars, and having a good time yesterday on a warm Sunday afternoon.

PS: this is just a partial trip report! More to come.

[Edited on 2-12-2008 by bajabound2005]

[Edited on 2-12-2008 by bajabound2005]

Acuity - 2-11-2008 at 05:24 PM

Nice photos. Thanks!

Barry A. - 2-11-2008 at 05:27 PM

Incredible!!!! Many thanks, BB2005 :o

Roberto - 2-11-2008 at 06:49 PM

Yes, I took a quick trip down on Saturday, went to the San Pedro Martir area to take care of some errands. On the way down, in the morning the area between Santo Tomas and San Telmo was covered in dew (it was 6:00 AM). On the way back, in the afternoon, whole fields had flowered during the day!

Beautiful. Can't wait to see it next month south of El Rosario.

BAJACAT - 2-11-2008 at 08:23 PM

Great pix kathleen,i wish i was there.lol
Will see this weekend how the east is going to look (Motomi).

Mexitron - 2-11-2008 at 08:27 PM

That is really beautiful--so glad to see it green after the drought of the last couple years. Last time I remember that much lush growth was in 1997-8 when a wet winter(El Nino) led into a wet summer(ie Hurricane Nora) and the peninsula was green for an entire year straight!

gringorio - 2-11-2008 at 09:20 PM

Thanks! Its really nice to see all the green in such a beautiful place. Right now Colorado is cold, windy and all the vegetation is a lifeless brown. wishin' I was in Baja! :tumble:

greg

shari - 2-12-2008 at 11:40 AM

You are so right about the baja cheese industry....we are getting some phenomenal cheeses these days from the ranches...no rain=no cheese...so make sure you buy some when in baja...you can ask to try each one as they are each a bit different texture and flavour. My horse is soooo happy and hasn't even come in to dring water in 3 weeks now...just grazing and sleeping!

Skipjack Joe - 2-12-2008 at 01:02 PM

It's so green it looks like a golf course!

Where's my putter?

Bob H - 2-12-2008 at 01:46 PM

Great photos.... now the wild flowers will follow in the next few weeks! WOW
Bob H

thebajarunner - 2-23-2008 at 09:40 AM

A week after you took those fotos it was even greener,
and the flowers more colorful

Best of all, I think, is the green on the elephant trees, never saw them look so brilliant in their emerald coats.

Kell-Baja - 2-25-2008 at 11:06 AM

GREAT PICTURES!!

Gadget - 2-25-2008 at 12:28 PM

Glowing cholla after rains in morning sun.

[Edited on 2-25-2008 by Gadget]

IMG_0506red.JPG - 46kB

Martyman - 2-25-2008 at 05:02 PM

Better find that horse!! Nothing I like better than horse cheese.