BajaNomad

Diver gets a head intead of a tail in Asuncion

shari - 2-24-2008 at 12:53 PM

Diver is back from his sojourn south and Juan took him fishing. They decided to go south as nothing has been happening up at San Pablo lately. After reeling in lots of bonita, Diver handed the rod over to Juan on a particularly heavy fish...so he could light his cigar...and Juan shook his head solemnly...he knew what was on there....a sea lion eating a yellowtail...sure enough after a long hard struggle, suddenly the line became light and he reeled in a large yellowtail HEAD....missing it's body....bummer. Oh well, we make a wonderful bonita salad and they had a fun day on the water anway....gorgeous weather here this week with normal afternoon winds. The next day Santiago and his amigo went out with Juan and they went north and only got bonita and a barileta...something like a amberjack which was very delicious as sashimi and sushi. So it's back to the rockpile this week for Juan...to work on our rock suite at our place at the point...no more fishing for a bit. I would like to take this opportunity too to thank Santiago for bringing me a better PC and doing a trade...it's much faster and seems to be working fine...now I have to figure out how to get all my stuff off the other one...if you are my skype pal please send me your skype names again...gracias amigos

[Edited on 2-25-2008 by shari]

Bob H - 2-24-2008 at 01:43 PM

Neat story. I thought bonita and jack were kinda boney - never ate one of them before. Always used to bury them around fruit bearing trees for fertilizer...
Hey, I'd love to know the brand of the cigar that was lit! :?:
Bob H

shari - 2-24-2008 at 02:00 PM

Bonita makes a fabulous "tuna salad" We just gut em, then steam or boil them whole, then cut off the dark bits, bones, skin etc...and feed to the dogs and cats...the remaining white meat I then crumble up, add mayo, onions, celery, tomatoes, dill pickle, salt & lime and VOILA an amazing tuna salad for sandwiches or on crackers like apetizers..excellent...I really dont know what a bariletta is...but it was delicious and not boney at all...deep red meat. Good thing Divers wife isn't a nomad eh!

Ken Bondy - 2-24-2008 at 04:56 PM

shari I think barileta is a skipjack, very similar to a bonito. Maybe someone more knowledgeable can confirm.
++Ken++

Pompano - 2-24-2008 at 05:03 PM

Right you are, Ken. skipjack=barileta

Bob..Ira smokes the little cheroots, but don't recall any brand...just a good smell.

[Edited on 2-25-2008 by Pompano]

comitan - 2-24-2008 at 05:14 PM

Bonita have teeth and have almost white meat, Barillite don't don't have teeth and have very red meat.

Bob H - 2-24-2008 at 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
Bob..Ira smokes the little cheroots, but don't recall any brand...just a good smell.
[Edited on 2-25-2008 by Pompano]

Pompano, I only wish I would have met up with you when I was camping and kayaking on Coyte Bay last October... darn it. Bob H

Iflyfish - 2-24-2008 at 05:41 PM

Glad to hear Ira getting out and getting some.... fish. Always fun to be out on the chuck!

Give all my regards and advise them to keep their tips up!

Iflyfish

shari - 2-24-2008 at 05:46 PM

sorry if I offended anyone by my little head joke...guess I've been on bloody decks to much. my bad...first time I got my wrist slapped:rolleyes:

standingwave - 2-24-2008 at 06:46 PM

well, I thought it was funny... but I can see how the repartee could quickly get out of control... judging from some of the comebacks I was considering:lol::lol::lol:

Scrombridae who's who...

Cardon Man - 2-25-2008 at 08:16 AM

Barrilete is specifically the Black skipjack (Euthynnus lineatus.) not be confused with the Skipjack tuna which is a different critter (Katsuwonus pelamis ) but also commonly called a barrilete. :?:

Regarding Bonito...the white fleshed tasty ones with big teeth and an almost sierra-like face are the Eastern Pacific bonito (Sarda chilensis lineolata). As I understand it these guys have a range limited to the Pacific coast of Baja and not past La Paz on the Cortez. I believe the Mexican Bonito (Sarda Orientalis ) is the only other true bonito in our waters. The term "bonito" gets thrown around rather loosely and often applied to other members of the Scrombridae family eg. skipjacks, bullet mackerel, etc.

[Edited on 2-25-2008 by Cardon Man]

shari - 2-25-2008 at 08:39 AM

wow...thanks for that..by the way it's bonitA. the Euthynnus lineatus was delicious.

A or O

Cardon Man - 2-25-2008 at 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
wow...thanks for that..by the way it's bonitA. the Euthynnus lineatus was delicious.

I'm no marine biologist just a fish bum who thinks about this stuff way too much....but I'm pretty sure it's bonitO with an O in English scientific nomenclature. I hear bonitA a lot too, I believe mostly from Spanish speakers ( some but not all ). Which is odd to me...if it's a pescadO it's bonitO and it's an atun it's also bonitO. Truely one of the deep mysteries of the universe.:?:

shari - 2-25-2008 at 09:09 AM

well not really cause there are viejas, cabrilla, barrileta, sardina, sierra, baracuda,macarela,mantaraya, angila,..well you get the idea!

Good point...

Cardon Man - 2-25-2008 at 09:31 AM

Quote:
well not really cause there are viejas, cabrilla, barrileta, sardina, sierra, baracuda,macarela,mantaraya, angila,..well you get the idea!

Yes very true. I think what throws me off is that all the above fish names are proper nouns while bonito(a) is also an adjective and hence ought to have a gender specific ending. But since it's the name of a fish it gets noun status. So the mystery is solved! Wow...now were really bogged down in the minutia! I digress...:)

tripledigitken - 2-25-2008 at 09:36 AM

I can say what we call skipjack in So Cal make for great sashimi. Have enjoyed them many a time out fishing.

The Sushi restaurants even serve it on occasion.

[Edited on 2-25-2008 by tripledigitken]

David K - 2-25-2008 at 09:58 AM

http://Mexfish.com is Gene Kira's web site... with a great fish ID page (photos and names of all Baja fish)

Pescador - 2-26-2008 at 09:55 AM

I have heard for years that bonito do not come north of La Paz but we have caught loads of these fish as far north as Santa Rosalia.

The Black Skipjack is characterized by its “tuna-like” appearance, dark blue back, silver flanks and belly, a series of 5 to 6 horizontal stripes that begin at the base of the dorsal fin and extend to the base of the caudal fin, and its characteristic and distinguishing black spots between the pelvic and pectoral fins.

The Black Skipjack might be confused with the Skipjack Tuna, Katsuwonus pelamis (4 to 6 horizontal dark stripes on its sides with no spots); the Eastern Pacific Bonito, Sarda chilensis (5 to 6 oblique dark stripes on its upper back with no spots); and the Striped Bonito, Sarda orientalis (8 to 11 horizontal broken lines on its back with no spots).

The Black Skipjack is a coastal pelagic schooling species found near off shore reefs in all Mexican waters, normally in the first 125 feet of the water column. The “all tackle world record” caught in Mexican waters as of 2004 stands at 36.4 inches and 20.0 pounds.

I just find it incredible that Shari reports eating a black skipjack. I have had friends who were really hardcore fish eaters find it almost impossible to do anything palatable with true black skipjack.

[Edited on 2-26-2008 by Pescador]

Russ - 2-26-2008 at 10:23 AM

I put together some pictures of Bonito & SkipJack but the sites I stole them from are not in agreement on what their photos represent. So Pescador could you label these for us?

SkipJack vs bonito.jpg - 46kB

So many scrombridae...so little time

Cardon Man - 2-26-2008 at 11:38 AM

I believe the 3rd fish down is a Kawakawa, Euthynnus Affinis. Similar in appearance to black skipjack but notice the vermiculations on it's back rather than stripes. The bottom fish I'd call a bonito and the top two look like skipjack tuna.

I agree about the black skipjack being less than tasty. Though some people I know do indeed eat them. I've tried it as sashimi and thought it was ok at best. Perhaps how it's handled upon being caught makes a huge difference in it's table quality. I tried black skipjack machaca and found it to be foul.

The skipjack tuna is another matter. Pretty damn good. Not as dark and strong.

[Edited on 2-26-2008 by Cardon Man]

shari - 2-26-2008 at 05:58 PM

Juan says it was the last blue fish....so what is that? Honest, it was delicious...a guest ate a whole plate! It made excellent sushi too.

vgabndo - 2-26-2008 at 06:36 PM

If this picture turns out...I stole it from the internet, this is the fish we've taken at San Nicolas' Bay and it was called a Bonito. Absolutely delicious. Can you say WASABE?

Bonito.bmp - 43kB

Tiomiguel - 2-26-2008 at 06:48 PM

Sounds like both Diver and I could use some better luck next year. Diver lets make sure that we get out there on the good days next year to take away that trophy for fisherman of the year from Tim.
Shari, I could not believe that came from you, it was just too profound and totally unlike you. Ha.

Roberto - 2-26-2008 at 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
I just find it incredible that Shari reports eating a black skipjack. I have had friends who were really hardcore fish eaters find it almost impossible to do anything palatable with true black skipjack.

That's my experience too - but I've been told that there are Sushi restaurants that use Black Skipjack to make poke. Never tried it myself, but then again, mackerel is considered a delicacy. Can you imagine eating mackerel? :o

This and that

Skipjack Joe - 2-26-2008 at 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
I have had friends who were really hardcore fish eaters find it almost impossible to do anything palatable with true black skipjack.

I find that many, if not most hardcore fishermen don't like to eat fish. Like my neighbor. He catches all the fish and his wife eats all the fish. She never fishes.

Many black skipjacks lack the dots entirely and people mistakenly think they're bonito. I have never caught a bonito in the cortez.

Raw mackerel is served in many sushi bars. They're all right if eaten say once a week. Smoked or marinated mackerel on the other hand is absolutely delicious. I buy them at the deli.

Osprey - 2-27-2008 at 07:00 AM

This year, for the first time I can remember, when the sierra were leaving, only a few being caught along our shore (about a month ago) we were visited by great numbers of bonito -- the big-teeth, white meat kind. Locals loaded up when and where they could. All my gringo neighbors were trying different recipes. At our house we found the filets make excellent fish and chips, tasty fish soup. Nobody in east cape that I've ever encountered, including all my Mexican neighbors, eats barrilette. Some of my best days out there were pulling light gear through feeding schools of the purple meat fighters being careful how we released them.

Cardon Man - 2-27-2008 at 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Osprey
This year, for the first time I can remember, when the sierra were leaving, only a few being caught along our shore (about a month ago) we were visited by great numbers of bonito -- the big-teeth, white meat kind.

Osprey...just curious, had you not caught the Eastern Pacific Bonito ( Dientona, in Spanish ) at the East Cape in the past or just not in such great numbers? I agree they are fine food fish. I enjoy the sashimi as much or more than good YFT.

Cardon Man - 2-27-2008 at 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe

Many black skipjacks lack the dots entirely and people mistakenly think they're bonito. I have never caught a bonito in the cortez.

Skipjack...That's interesting. What areas of the Cotez do you fish? Perhaps the literature is true in saying that the Eastern Pacific bonito doesn't range north of La Paz.
I'm not sure of the supposed range of the Mexican or striped bonito.
My experience on the Cortez has been largely limited to the East Cape area and no farther north than Isla Cerralvo with only an occasional foray to Loreto. While I've never loaded up on bonito at East Cape I can say for sure I pick up a few each year. I lust after those fish so their catches are always noteworthy!

Skipjack - Barrilette

Pompano - 2-27-2008 at 09:41 AM

I have an old friend who moved from Mexico City to Mulege over 25 years ago...Miguel. With his wife, Claudia, he owns La Tienda, a popular sports clothes and gift store in downtown Mulege. Previously they ran Baja Divers (Cortez Explorers) for many years...a diving/fishing charter service.

Here Miguel is posing a hook-up on his Skipjack...of course he named it ..'Barrilette.'

- amiguelsskipjack.jpg - 38kB

Pescador - 2-27-2008 at 09:52 AM

Well, as close as I can tell, Cardon Man is the closest to using the actual scientific names and it is easy to see where the confusion comes from. The Eastern Pacific Bonito, Sarda Chilensis Lineolata, is the rarest of the tuna and does only show on the Pacific side and up to La Paz. What everyone in the Santa Rosalia area refers to as bonita or bonito is actually the White Skipjack or Katsuwonus Pelamis. The Black Skipjack or Barrilete or Euthynnus Lineatus, is the dark meated member which is abundant in the Sea of Cortez as well as the Pacific side.
Last season, some of the guys at Mulege started reporting catching "Blue Tuna" and San Marcos Mike and I were going nuts trying to figure out what this fish was. We finally discovered that they were referring to Pacific Skipjack.
It becomes easy to identify a certain fish by its characteristics but the real challenge is to match that up with what the scientists are referring to with a specific species. The local fishermen add to this confusion as they communicate with each other about a certain fish but the challenge comes when they try to communicate with fishermen from another area.

shari - 2-27-2008 at 10:17 AM

So I still don't know what it was...that yummy fish no one eats...Juan said it was a really weird fish and he'd never caught one...so maybe rare here???

bill erhardt - 2-27-2008 at 10:24 AM

Whatever you call them, they are all good bait for marlin and big yellowfin.

Osprey - 2-27-2008 at 10:41 AM

Cardon, My wife (up until now) would only cook yellowfin of all the tuna types here so I released all the other types so maybe I missed ID ing a few Bonito of the type discussed. Only this year were they here in such numbers and I heard that from lots of Mexican and gringo fishermen. It is doubling confusing because at times I think we do get a few kawakawa and also some of my gringo neighbors say "caught a mess of small tuna near the shore". Now I just check for big mean teeth to be sure.

Iflyfish - 2-27-2008 at 10:44 PM

Osprey, sorry about the loss of your wife. Couldn't help it...it just came out!

Iflyfish

Osprey - 2-28-2008 at 10:04 AM

No, she's still with me. She likes what I do around the house. She says "Jorge, he's a piece of work."

bajamigo - 2-28-2008 at 10:24 AM

Quote:
So it's back to the rockpile this week for Juan...to work on our rock suite at our place at the point...no more fishing for a bit.

Not a bad-looking rock pile....

Russ - 2-28-2008 at 10:31 AM

Here is another one of Juan and his "Rock Pile"

Juan.jpg - 46kB

Iflyfish - 2-28-2008 at 05:25 PM

Osprey
"She says "Jorge, he's a piece of work."
She is right!

Nice wall there Juan. That man is an artist!

Iflyfish

Diver - 2-29-2008 at 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
Neat story. I thought bonita and jack were kinda boney - never ate one of them before. Always used to bury them around fruit bearing trees for fertilizer...
Hey, I'd love to know the brand of the cigar that was lit! :?:
Bob H

The Bonita made pretty good sushi.
Another favorite is to soak the steaks in teriaki for an hour before barbequeing - yummy. And not too many bones.

The baruleta (Juan's pronunciation) was more similar to a tuna or large YT - very good sushi !!

I was fully stocked with Macanudos for the trip south !!
My source is Mike's Cigars . com

Diver - 2-29-2008 at 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tiomiguel
Sounds like both Diver and I could use some better luck next year. Diver lets make sure that we get out there on the good days next year to take away that trophy for fisherman of the year from Tim.
Shari, I could not believe that came from you, it was just too profound and totally unlike you. Ha.

HAHAHA
I can't wait to go chase some fish with you again !!
BTW, anyone who hasn't met Shari's Tio is missing something special. He and Juanita are 2 of the nicest and brightest folks we have met in a long time. They helped make the holidays a great time in Asuncion !!
I just got back to the US but will post some trip reports soon.

Diver - 2-29-2008 at 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Osprey
No, she's still with me. She likes what I do around the house. She says "Jorge, he's a piece of work."

Now what was that "wave" from the locals !! :lol:
Don't work too hard !! :lol::lol::lol:

I was able to stop in La Ribera for a short stop to put a face with a name.
Osprey has a tough life near the beach but someone has to do it !! :lol:

mulegemichael - 3-1-2008 at 06:30 PM

yeah, jorge has it tough...i left a house in la ribera and have fond memories of my time there...but...life goes on and now here in mulege we are in heaven...jorge...how's the resort right out in front of you progressing?...geez...i had the purple house up on top by the highway..

Diver - 3-1-2008 at 06:40 PM

No signs of the resort yet but I think Osprey will be perched just a few blocks above it when/if it happens.

"Development" Sucks

Cardon Man - 3-2-2008 at 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diver
No signs of the resort yet but I think Osprey will be perched just a few blocks above it when/if it happens.

I'm diverging from the topic of this thread but oh well...

Let's hope the resort never happens! I for one dread to see such a terrible change come to such a tranquil and beautiful place.

There are a number of dump trucks and other heavy equipment sitting along side the coastal road just north of town. All are emblazened with the 'Cabo Riviera' logo...I suppose to give the impression that something is happening or about to happen. Until they get the big arroyo under control this development may well be washed out to sea in the next big storm. I can only hope.