BajaNomad

Taking a Tijuana taxi to the bus station

zforbes - 2-25-2008 at 07:02 PM

I'm planning to take the bus Friday night to Asuncion from Tijuana (gotta make it to Shari's party!).  :yes:Can someone tell me approximately what I should expect to pay for a taxi from the border crossing point to the bus station? And how much time I should allow to get to the station? This will be my first Baja bus trip...any tips?  Zoe

elgatoloco - 2-25-2008 at 07:05 PM

Take a small pillow, get a window seat. Don't drink the water.:biggrin:

Have a safe trip! :dudette:

comitan - 2-25-2008 at 07:23 PM

Don't take the taxis at the border walk toward town till you see a taxi that says Libro, doesn't mean its free you are on a meter, probably about 15-20 Min.

bbbait - 2-25-2008 at 07:32 PM

You might try Fernando (FDT).. If you set it up with him to meet you he would get you there safely and be able to describe various points of interest along the way. He is very reasonable, courteous and English speaking!

DENNIS - 2-25-2008 at 07:35 PM

From the TJ bus station, take the bus to Ensenada and catch the southbound ride to your destination. The TJ station for you is right across the border, 500 yards. Ask anybody but a cab driver for directions. They'll want to take you in circles for serious Pacifico money.
Have a great trip.

By the way....I don't think they do buisness at night. First bus south is around 6AM.

shari - 2-25-2008 at 08:18 PM

great idea to contact Fernando to assist! It's real easy to take the bus from San Ysidro, it drives across the border and goes directly to the TJ terminal where you get the bus to GN where we will pick you up.

zforbes - 2-25-2008 at 08:25 PM

Thanks for the good suggestions, Nomads. I'll contact Ferna.

Mango - 2-25-2008 at 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
...Ask anybody but a cab driver for directions. They'll want to take you in circles for serious Pacifico money.
Have a great trip.

Thats great advice Dennis.

Also, when lost in the bus terminal (looking for your gate(Salida)), I usually find a jainitor or guard, etc.. they tend to be more helpful and willing to spend a little time talking to you than a ticket agent.

When taking the bus, don't sit too close to the back as it can stink if someone lets one rip in the bano.

I prefer to sit on the right side(passenger side) at a window seat about 1/3 to 1/2 of the way back from the front. This will allow you to look out the window at various stops and see which bags are loaded/unloaded from underneath the bus. Also put any and all valuables in a daypack and carry it near your feet (I often put a small travel lock on my zipper).

I'm a little paranoid about someone stealing my stuff; yet, after 10's of thousands of bus miles traveled in Mexico over the years I've never had a problem.

Also avoid any seat with a wheel well protruding from the floor. This can drastically reduce leg room. Unless the bus is full, it's usually ok to switch to a different seat if you find something wrong with the one you are in.

Bring some water and some snacks, sit back and relax, let the iPod roll, and prepare to watch some movies. I might be weird; but, I really enjoy riding the bus in Mexico.

[Edited on 2-26-2008 by Mango]

[Edited on 2-26-2008 by Mango]

tjvagabundo - 2-25-2008 at 09:00 PM

The ABC bus station is located on the corner of Frontera and Amistad. That's on the street just before entering the small plaza with the foot bridge in back. It's about 50 to 100 yards up the street from that first plaza as you walk across the border.

I'm not sure about the schedule but I believe that buses to Ensenada leave every 30 min or 1 hour.

Google has a decent street map of TJ to help you get your bearings.

Natalie Ann - 2-25-2008 at 10:44 PM

Zoe - I love the Baja buses! But one thing to remember... these folks take their air conditioning seriously. Be absolutely certain to take a sweater or jacket for your ride, no matter how hot the day.
Have a fun trip.

Nena

lizard lips - 2-26-2008 at 07:00 AM

Dennis got it right! I took that bus to Ensenada twice a month for many years after you walk across when they did'nt have a direct bus from the airport. When your on the bus when it stops at different locations look out the right side when they open the luggage door and make sure someone doesn't take your bag by mistake. I've had it happened and almost ruined my trip. Also take some snacks with you-----HAVE A GOOD TRIP!

shari - 2-26-2008 at 08:36 AM

All great advice...but I would go to the big terminal on the outskirts of TJ and get the ABC bus direct to GN....take the night bus that leaves around 8:00 I think and Sirenita will pick you up at dawn. I always weat earplugs to sleep better with a little blanket. It would be fun to hang with Ferna for a bit...give him our love

wilderone - 2-26-2008 at 05:02 PM

The taxi costs $10 to the bus station. Just tell them that is what you'll pay. It takes about 15 minutes. Also, get a night bus in TJ if you want to arrive in the morning. If you take a morning bus, you will arrive in GN about 10:00 pm- midnight.
Or, you can get on a Greyhound bus in downtown San Diego (Broadway and 2nd), and for $12, they will take you directly to the bus station. It takes an hour, and departs 2:00 pm, 2:45 pm, 3:25 pm, 4:30 pm, 6:00 pm, 7:20 pm 7:45 pm, 8:45 pm and 11:00 pm. Other times too, but these would probably be best. Return Greyhound service to San Diego also. Take Shari's advice - buy a ticket direct to GN, and don't switch buses.

DianaT - 2-26-2008 at 06:01 PM

Great to hear you are coming down here!

I really vote for contacting Ferna-----very safe way to do it.

Nena suggested a sweater and Shari suggested a little blanket. I vote for a substantial blanket. It can be 110 degrees outside and the inside of the bus is freezing!

Have a great trip and hope you are staying for a while.

Diane

zforbes - 2-27-2008 at 07:07 AM

Thanks again, Nomads...Bajaboy is dropping me off at the border and Fernando (bless his generous heart) is going to pick me up and take me to the bus station for the 9 pm bus. I've made a note of all the other hints, like take a pillow,  something to keep myself warm, etc. I couldn't get any better care than the kind that Nomads give!:bounce: