BajaNomad

Taking your boat to BOLA

tripledigitken - 3-3-2008 at 05:18 PM

Those nomads that fish BOLA and don't have a house there, where do you rinse/flush you outboard motors? Will Diaz let you do it at his compound for a fee?

Ken

Diver - 3-3-2008 at 06:00 PM

I once did a rinse/flush at a Pemex.
Of course they thought I was crazy but .....

Most (of the newer ones anyway) have agua and aire available.

Roberto - 3-3-2008 at 07:38 PM

Most don't until they leave.

4baja - 3-3-2008 at 07:44 PM

unless your spending months down there why flush it? the mexicans dont and they dont have problems. unless your leaveing your boat down there dont worry about it untill you get home, then do a normal washout. goodluck

tripledigitken - 3-3-2008 at 08:27 PM

The motor is a Yamaha 250 4stroke. Admittedly I'm anal about maintenance on my stuff, and I know everyone doesn't do it, some here from the posts.

But I would like to flush it if it is possible. Other than a pemex are there facilities to do it in BOLA?

I would expect the locals would think I'm a crazy Gringo, but I'm used to that.

When you guys are in the states do you flush you engines after each use?

Thanks for you input.

Ken

Diver - 3-3-2008 at 09:18 PM

Yes, in the states, I flush after every use.
Not everyday but at the end of each trip.
I do make sure to run the motor dry with some stabilizer in the fuel also.

Roberto - 3-3-2008 at 09:19 PM

Let me amend my previous comment.

Most don't until they leave because it is VERY difficult, if not impossible to do. If you have your own place, you could set it up, but if you're camping, or hoteling, finding a public facility -- good luck.

Is that clearer?

Alan - 3-3-2008 at 09:21 PM

Daggets had a water spigot near the restrooms but of course you would need to bring your own hose to attach the earmuffs. (I don't think I have ever seen a hose in Mexico that still had a threaded end. I imagine it has something to do with chaffing their thumb).

To be honest with you though, knowing how limited water is in BoLA I didn't feel right using it to flush my engine when there and just give it a good flushing when I return home.

tripledigitken - 3-3-2008 at 09:34 PM

Thanks for the information. I usually camp at Daggets so thats convenient.

Ken

Skipjack Joe - 3-3-2008 at 11:55 PM

I believe I flushed mine at Daggetts last time I stayed.

My mechanic tells me that corrosion gets far worse if you let it dry with the salt water inside. The metal doesn't corrode nearly as fast when submerged in the salt water so if you keep using it daily it isn't necessary to flush it every day.

Also, you're probably aware that there are these additives to the flush that really help keep things in check.

Pescador - 3-4-2008 at 07:53 AM

When I stayed at Daggets, he or his son would flush his motor every time it went out, so I suspect that you will have no problem with that. With my Yamaha I have the threaded flush so you can also use a 5 gallon can with a hose attached. It does not take a long flush but just enough to rinse out the salt and then you can do a more thourough flush when you return home. Skipjack is right that the Salt Away really helps to clean out the salt faster.

tripledigitken - 3-4-2008 at 02:34 PM

Pescador and Skipjack,

I think i'll try the 5 gal flush with the additive while on trips to Baja. I too have the threaded flush attachment which will make the hookup easy. My only question is with only gravity feed will it give it a proper flush. I will try it and see.

Daggets is my usual place to camp so that works out fine. Thanks for all the advice.

(funny with these two nomads "handles" that I would get the best advice)

Tight lines!

Ken

Hook - 3-4-2008 at 03:13 PM

How about a basic bait pump with 12 leads and hoses that you can draw water from your 5 gallon bucket? Or even rig it off your existing bait pump?

Skipjack Joe - 3-4-2008 at 03:50 PM

My experience in flushing in baja is that if the hose doesn't have pretty good pressure the water tends to get real hot during the flush (explanation: I meant that the water wasn't cooling down the engine enough). I decided that under these conditions I may be doing more harm to the engine than good.

I'm not sure about my conclusions and would welcome some advice on this 'problem'. Will a flush with a weak stream cause any engine damage?

I have found very few campgrounds in baja where you can do it like back home. That was one of the good things about Tripui, but the escondido launch fees now are ridiculous.

[Edited on 3-4-2008 by Skipjack Joe]

BajaWarrior - 3-4-2008 at 05:30 PM

Speaking of BOLA,

Is the entire area closed to fishing? Or just parts of the bay and offshore?

I've used the bucket system before for flushing my boat as well but I don't worry too much about day to day use while away from home. A good cleanup all the way around is for when you get home.

Tripledigitken, have a good trip when you do go.

Roberto - 3-4-2008 at 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alan
To be honest with you though, knowing how limited water is in BoLA I didn't feel right using it to flush my engine when there and just give it a good flushing when I return home.

Thank you - I was hoping someone would bring that up.

tripledigitken - 3-4-2008 at 06:18 PM

Well lets just expand on that abit.

No ice for cooling down beers.

No ice in Margaritas.

Shower once a week.

Don't put the fish on ice just throw them in the hold.

Better not spray water on the dirt outside the shops too.

Roberto your just too much sometimes.

4baja - 3-4-2008 at 06:46 PM

bola is not closed to fishing anywere just certain fish, go and have fun and dont worry about flushing the moter after all you are on vacation. when im at my place down there i have 300 gallons at my finger tips but ill be damed if im going to pull my boat out of the water just to flush it. lifes to short! ill do it when i get home.

Roberto - 3-4-2008 at 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Well lets just expand on that abit.

No ice for cooling down beers.

No ice in Margaritas.

Shower once a week.

Don't put the fish on ice just throw them in the hold.

Better not spray water on the dirt outside the shops too.

Roberto your just too much sometimes.

I wasn't talking about ANY of those things. Why are you? And why is raising the OBVIOUS point that water is a precious resource in Bahia being to much? Inquiring minds want to know.

I could quote some comments made to me by locals on the topic of insensitivity on this matter, but I won't - I'll leave that to your imagination. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Let me just say, however, that the water from the spring is often insufficient to fill the barrels of everyone who wants it, and dispensation stops for that day.

The other, more abundant, sources of water are heavily mineralized, and of dubious value in flushing a motor. In fact the hose at Daggett's is probably from highly saline water.

Did you know any of these things? Five gallons, if that's what you use, I would have no argument with.

[Edited on 3-5-2008 by Roberto]

tripledigitken - 3-4-2008 at 07:59 PM

As a long time visitor to Baja I am well aware of the precious nature of the water there. While visiting BOLA in our camper we brought water into the town and other than ice didn't consume water. As a tourist I am now interested in bringing a fishing boat into BOLA. A desire of the government I might add! I have water needs, is it 5 gal's per day or10 gals not sure. I am willing to pay for this commodity. If it isn't available so be it, if it is I will buy it. By the way for the boat it could be nonpotable. Daggets water would work nicely.

I honestly don't think anyone I have dealt with in BOLA as a tourist in the past would begrudge my desire to buy 5 gals of water per day to perform maintenance on my boat.

I hope that clears it up.

Ken

cbuzzetti - 3-5-2008 at 04:15 PM

Check with your local Yamaha mechanic. I have a 2006 200 4 stroke and the recomendation is to flush with motor off through hose bid attachment.
Ear muffs are not required to flush my engine.
Yamaha does not recommend flushing through water intakes on gear case with engine running.

I do not flush my engine untill I get home. But then I have a 6 year warrenty and I don't usually keep my boats for more than 5 years.