BajaNomad

Transom savers

Santiago - 3-6-2008 at 07:13 AM

When I 'upgraded' to my current boat, an 18' aluminum Fishrite with a 115HP mercury, I was very clear that I wanted to know what was the recomendation for transom savers on this boat as I had always used them before after replacing 2 transoms. The salesman said they were not necessary and to tow the boat with the motor in the full upright position with the manual lock on and no problemo. Wellllll, after numerous baja tows, on my trip to Asuncion last August, when I got back home, the pin that holds the hydrolic lift to the motor had worked loose. When I took it in for repair the shop foreman freaked and scolded me for not having a transom saver and went on and on about how they do several repairs each year blah blah. Anyway, he said to tow the boat with the motor as low as possible with a transom saver tied to the trailer cross bar which I have done. I hesitate to bring this up, having been in a few campfire conversations on this topic where guys practically get in fist fights over this issue but what has been your experiences on transom savers? If you do use them, do you tie it to the trailer or the bottom of the boat?

[Edited on 3-6-2008 by Santiago]

[Edited on 3-6-2008 by Santiago]

4baja - 3-6-2008 at 07:23 AM

jim, i only use a transome saver if i will be traveing dirt roads or heavily potholed roads. i allways carry one with me if i think i will be on a tough road somewere. they make real tough one that has a bracket that bolts around the rear rubber roller, the saver has a quick disconnect that connects to it and up to the moter. i used this one for years on my whaler and it never failed me. i do believe that a fiberglass transome is much tougher then a aluminum and highly recomend a transome saver. i just use the moter lock on my present boat but do have a saver for it just in case. goodluck.:coolup:

Paulina - 3-6-2008 at 08:30 AM

Jim,

We always use one on our panga. It bolts to the bottom of the trailer.

P<*)))><

[Edited on 6-3-2008 by Paulina]

Pescador - 3-6-2008 at 08:34 AM

If you had ever lifted a motor when the hydraulics had gone out and figured how much pressure is exerted on the transom, parts of the motor, and hydraulic mechanism, you would most assuredly always put a transom saver on. If I am going for a short distance then it is less of an issue, but anytime that I am hauling for any distance, I use it. A motor is designed to be in it's strongest position when it is fully down, but it gets expensive to replace those lower units on all of the "topes".

bremptg - 3-6-2008 at 12:56 PM

I also have a 14' Gregor with a 20 hp. Mercury. I always use one. Mine attaches to the trailer. Never had a problem.

Skipjack Joe - 3-6-2008 at 08:38 PM

Your salesman was right.

Both my honda owners manual and the folks who build Gregors in Fresno recommend that the motor be towed in an upright in a locked position.

I had to have Gregor rebuild my transom after driving around baja WITH a transom saver.

As you know Santiago, I take the motor off the boat and store it in a harness. Washboard roads are really tough on a transom and I don't believe a transom saver is going to do the job. Like that road to Asuncion? Those were 4-6 inch dips for about 15 miles. And when I look at my rear view mirror I swear that boat is just bouncing a foot each time all the way.

My experience was that the saver just pivoted the motor on the transom and didn't reduce any of the weight. If your motor is close to the ground there is some benefit, otherwise no.

Good luck with whatever you decide though. My opinions are always in the minority in a thread but that doesn't bother me.

TonyC - 3-6-2008 at 11:31 PM

I have a 2006 Suzuki 115 HP on my boat. I ask the same thing and the sales guy told me the same thing. Lock fully up with the motor lock. Just didn't look right. I read my Suzuki op. manuel and it reads the only time to use the motor lock was if I had the boat park sitting in the water to keep the motor out of the water. It reads that if towing to use a transom saver. I guess go with what the manufacturer recommends. I agree with what Pescador says about the weight distribution.

AcuDoc - 3-7-2008 at 08:47 PM

I always use one on my 16.5 center console 50hp tin boat. I actually bought the my Klamath from Pescador a few years back. Anyhow the one I use even has a built in spring shock absorber.