BajaNomad

Weird bass

Santiago - 3-10-2008 at 06:31 AM

Gene Kira on this week's report (www.mexfish.com) reports this bassy-looking fish caught at Rocky Point last week. What is it???

odd bass.jpg - 13kB

Osprey - 3-10-2008 at 06:59 AM

my fish book says it's a Panama Graysby

BMG - 3-10-2008 at 07:49 AM

Looks to me like a Barred Sand Bass.

sand bass.jpg - 32kB

Hook - 3-10-2008 at 08:33 AM

I agree, BMG. dont understand the perceived confusion. It looks like a barred sand bass with more prominent markings than most. That third dorsal spine is the real giveaway. Looks to have some "cabrilla" in the gene pool based on the gold spots.

This fish probably lived in an area of sand mixed with some dark volcanic rocks.

[Edited on 3-10-2008 by Hook]

Osprey - 3-10-2008 at 08:44 AM

Page 4, Fishes of The Pacific Coast by Gar Goodson

Osprey - 3-10-2008 at 08:46 AM

Ooops, page 5 shows a Barred Sand Bass and the tail, dorsal show that to be the fish. my bad, it's early down here.

goldspotted sand bass

Skipjack Joe - 3-10-2008 at 08:51 AM

a variant of it. Paralabrax auroguttatus. That's my guess.

http://mexfish.com/fish/gspotbas/gspotbas.htm

Paulina - 3-10-2008 at 10:02 AM

That's an easy one. I'd say it's a dead fish.

(sorry, no diet coke for me yet this morning)

P<*)))><

bajabass - 3-11-2008 at 12:26 PM

Spotted Bay Bass ?

Taco de Baja - 3-11-2008 at 01:11 PM

Maybe a spotted sand bass Paralabrax maculatofasciatus ??? or a hybrid between a spotted sand bass and a barred sand bass Paralabrix nebulifer ???...Especially since the spotted sand bass is supposed to be spotted all over....

CA DFG - Sea Bass

ric - 3-12-2008 at 09:18 PM

Hey guys, my buddy Mike caught that fish and I have caught quite a few of them over the years fishing out of puerto penasco. They are found in the exact same depth range and areas as the goldspotted bass but i have never picked one up shallower than 200 ft deep. They have many similarities to goldspots and spotted bay bass but do not look exactly like either. My guess is a hybrid between a goldspot and either a pinto cabrilla or spotted bay bass. I would be curious to know if these species are closely related enough to cross breed and create a hybrid. If you look at the picture and notice the spots right around the tail, it looks like the spots are pretty big which makes me believe it is more likely a cross between a goldspot and pinto vs the spotted bay bass. We catch quite a few panama graysby's around puerto penasco and it is definately not one of those.

Ric