BajaNomad

Water temps in San Quintin?

fishbuck - 3-17-2008 at 09:35 PM

I was curious about it because a previous post said it was colder than San Diego.
I checked Mexfish today and SQ was report to be 56 degrees. I checked a SD site and the temp is the same.
Any comment.

BornFisher - 3-17-2008 at 09:53 PM

Yeah, if you check water temps year round, SQ will be a bit cooler than San Diego.

fishbuck - 3-17-2008 at 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BornFisher
Yeah, if you check water temps year round, SQ will be a bit cooler than San Diego.

How much is a bit? 1 degree? Is there anywhere to get that data on line?

TonyC - 3-17-2008 at 10:32 PM

I don't think the water has turned over in San Diego. Normally from south Ensenada towards and pass San Quintin the water is cooler. That's why the freezer trips from San Diego head to Colnett to fish.

How about it Fishbuck....fishing any good? Thinking of heading down in a few weeks. I use to be able to fish rockfish up here, Marin/San Mateo coast, but not no more.
At least I get a chance at WSB and YT when fishing San Quintin.

Did you hear there may not be a salmon season in the most of California. Fishermen starting to sell their boats up here. Bay Area fishing is going to suck this year, no salmon, reduced rockfish season with lots of restrictions. Doesn't look good. :mad:

TonyC - 3-17-2008 at 10:52 PM

Quote:
Quote:

More, cold enough to support oyster farms. I read 5-10 degrees colder than San Diego. Fish that are caught in 250ft up north are caught in 60-120 ft. in San Quintin. Go deeper like 240 spot, and you know what kind and quailty of fish you can get into....lings, rojos, homeguard YT. I love it there, reminds me of fishing up here (Bay area) when I was younger. That's in the winter, summer in San Quintin is even better.

fishbuck - 3-17-2008 at 11:12 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by TonyC

More, cold enough to support oyster farms. I read 5-10 degrees colder than San Diego. Fish that are caught in 250ft up north are caught in 60-120 ft. in San Quintin. Go deeper like 240 spot, and you know what kind and quailty of fish you can get into....lings, rojos, homeguard YT. I love it there, reminds me of fishing up here (Bay area) when I was younger. That's in the winter, summer in San Quintin is even better.

Ya, I found a similar report. But the 10 degree difference is in summer. Winter the temps are the same.
The Mexfish report says they are whacking the lings and rockfish but haven't seen another WSB since you reported yours. I don't expect a yellowtail until about June.
My place is at Pedregal. I hope we can hook up and fish.
If I could get to La Paz right now that is where I would fish. At Los Muetos/Punta Area area.

TonyC - 3-18-2008 at 08:45 AM

Kelly said they were picking up a few YT (240 Spot), but your right he tried looking for WSB south, Socorro area....nada, just calicos, and sandies. Need to try fishing for halibut down there, they get come fatties. Just have to allocate fishing time when down there to have a good shot.

Tight lines,

Tony

Taco de Baja - 3-18-2008 at 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by fishbuck
Quote:
Originally posted by BornFisher

You can play around this site, if you want sea surface temperatures in the past: NOAA Coast Watch

I find the following settings work best...but others sometimes have results as well:

View results as: As Images
Region: West Coast
Product: SST
Sensor: Imager
Satellite: GOES-11 [...or sometimes, another one, if GOES-11 has no results...]
Dates Whatever you want [...go too far back and the data is purged, though...can't remember the cut off, probably 3 - 6 months]

Click on an image and you can get a more detailed view.
Look for ones that have the the most data of the area(s) you are interested in.

[Edited on 3-18-2008 by Taco de Baja]

allanbartlett - 3-18-2008 at 10:17 AM

I'll never forget my first trip to San Quintin when I was a teenager. It was my first time below Ensenada. My buddies parents have a place at El Socorro south of San Quintin. It was the middle of summer and it was hot out. I went down to the beach in my swimming trucks sans wetsuit for a little body surfing...bad idea. The water was freezing! I went back up to the house to b-tch about how cold it was. My buddy said..."oh yeah, there's been some upwellings lately and the water stays cool pretty much year round". I like the Sea of Cortez water temps a lot better.

TonyC - 3-18-2008 at 11:06 AM

I did the same thing....same place El Socorro. I thought I was at the beach in San Francisco. I brought and left my wet suit in El Socorro. Didn't tell my son when he tried the water in Socorro....if looks could kill. That was so funny.:biggrin:

David A. - 3-18-2008 at 11:23 AM

My father lives in El Socorro too. Yellow house on the left, before the gate to Agular's place.

TonyC - 3-18-2008 at 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David A.
My father lives in El Socorro too. Yellow house on the left, before the gate to Agular's place.

David,

Who's your Dad? After the right off Mex 1, Roman's house, Rocky's house, and my house is a bit back off the road. I bought it with my sister and her husband. I've got a few years before I can enjoy it on a regular basis. Daughter finishing 2nd year UCSB, and son done with high school this year. When they're done, I'm done.

Tony

BornFisher - 3-18-2008 at 11:49 AM

According to Terrafin, today the water is 59sh in San Diego, 55sh in SQ. But in summer, a 10 degree difference is not uncommon.

capt. mike - 3-19-2008 at 07:37 AM

are you guys talking about El Socorrito 8 miles south approx of San Quintin?
i have a friend lives there, has a hangar, the only one on that strip. Nice place for summers if yur from AZ.
Tried to "follow him in" using his home made IFR approach july 2006 when it was a pea soup morning before noon. He made it in broken conditions , but i missed 10 minutes later as it re socked and had to divert to Cielito Lindo the only clear spot avail and wait it out. Went over finally at 1:00. Had a great dinner that nite at Jardines. What are properties going for there? There's another newer subdivision a couple miles further south on the water.

TonyC - 3-19-2008 at 08:19 AM

Capt. Mike,

Yes, same place. They haven't sold to many lots from the subdivision your speaking of, the one between El Socorro, and Tranquillo. The lots on the right side of the road are owned by the Agulars and some of the lots near the runway. Senora Agular last the Decmeber mentioned to my Pops and I that there are lots available. Some lease, and there are some bank trust. My buddy Brett's Mom also owns some lots in Tranquillo she wants to sell, $30K she said to me, don't know price for the ones in Socorro. Let me know if you want me to ask.

Tony

capt. mike - 3-19-2008 at 08:52 AM

always curious. have to pick a new base some day. for the non working years.......if they ever come! :(
my dilemma will be - SOC side, Pac side or mainland/tropics??
my friend, a retired professional, medical, has his place for sale now i believe. it happens to be one of the nicest there, had it like 20 years plus and its worth a bunch if it closes mid 6 figures abouts. he'll likely pull it in a soft market as he doesn't need to take a hit.

so sure any real estate info is good to have. I see Bill Grandstaff's place over at Pedregal is up too. used to be avail as a pilot's rental linked to BBP, guess that's changing. the problem with Pedregal is it's such a pain in the arse to drive in to town for supplies. guess if you had a boat you could take it over to old mill area and taxi into a tienda. Now that would be stylin!:tumble:

TonyC - 3-19-2008 at 10:11 AM

Capt. Mike,

The ride from Pedregal to Mex. 1, and the road to Old Mill when it rains are the reasons I pick El Socorro. Water was the other reason. I like being 15k from San Quintin.

Tony

allanbartlett - 3-20-2008 at 12:52 PM

The family I know is Dick & Bonnie Whiteside. They have a house right off of the runway at El Socorro. They fly down all the time in Dick's Cessna 182. It's a great little neighborhood. I haven't been down there in about ten years.

snappyaerape - 6-25-2008 at 09:51 AM

I am headed down to El Socorro after the 6th of July. I have the house right behind the Aguilars on the right side on the hill. Haven't been down for about a year. Last time I talked to Senor Aguilar there was quite a few lots for sale. I will let you know what there asking when I get back. I will miss the homeowners meeting though. Usually followed by a good party at Cielito Lindo.

hey Snappy and Allen- i have not met

capt. mike - 6-25-2008 at 10:39 AM

Dick y Bonnie but my friend there is Dr. PW. on the big hill, brick house big patio.
do you know him? he's either there now or headed.
he's a retired med pro. expert in cadavers.
we are supposed to get there soon.

David A. - 6-25-2008 at 11:35 AM

Hey Snappy
We will be in El Socorro Friday July 11, on our way back from BOLA. We are staying at my dad's house (Yellow house and yellow block wall on the left when driving in). We should have a cold one at happy hour Cielito Lindo. You will not miss us. We will have the weiner dog and a Boxer puppy with us.:tumble: