BajaNomad

Help For Coco...Thanks

motoged - 3-21-2008 at 02:47 PM

Nomads,

As indicated a few weeks ago, I would make one last post regarding asking for help for Coco's Wheelchair Fund:

Thanks for donations so far...the effort has "legs":

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=323310

This is my last post on the matter.

Ged

TonyC - 3-22-2008 at 11:19 AM

Ged,

Would be bad for my chi if I didn't give a little. I'm in for $30, hope this helps. How do you want it sent?

Tony

motoged - 3-22-2008 at 12:55 PM

Tony,
Please read the link posted in my post above....contact Murray.

It is not only good for your Chi, it is good for your karma ;D

Ged

TonyC - 3-22-2008 at 01:11 PM

:bounce::bounce:

PJC - 3-22-2008 at 04:47 PM

Is there a PayPal address for this?

motoged - 3-22-2008 at 07:07 PM

PJC

Please read the link posted above...Donations are forwarded to Murray...his e-mail address is in the link...and today he told me he has a PayPal account

Murray is at < dochstader@shaw.ca>

Thanks for your support :saint:

Ged

motoged - 3-23-2008 at 12:52 PM

Nomads,

Update info:

The dochstader@shaw.ca address works for PayPal donations

Also, a good response at:
[url=http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=323310/url]

TonyC - 3-24-2008 at 10:15 AM

Ged,

Got back into town last night. No problem with paypal, money sent to Murray for Cocos wheelchair fund.

Tony

motoged - 3-25-2008 at 05:09 PM

Nomads,
Coco is scheduled for surgery in the hospital in Guererro Negro on March 28th to have his "good leg" amputated (below the knee). Coco's "real" name is Jorge Sandez.... , should anyone passing thru a day or more later wanted to drop in to say hello/lift his spirits.

A pic of Coco on Feb 10/08 w/ Vancouver rider:

and Coco's sticker...

Thanks for the support :saint:

Ged

CoCo

baja Steve - 3-30-2008 at 06:38 PM

coco foot 4-1-08.jpg - 37kB

baja Steve - 3-30-2008 at 06:45 PM

CoCo Dec. 07

coco dec 07 (Medium) (WinCE).jpg - 29kB

TonyC - 3-30-2008 at 07:12 PM

baja Steve,

Have not met Coco....yet. Those pics. are graphic. How's he doing, after his surgery? My prayers for him and his family.

Tony

CaboMagic - 3-30-2008 at 07:23 PM

A donation has been made on behalf of Team CABO MAGIC® Sportfishing.

Our best fishes naturally ~ Tommy & Lori Garcia
Team CABO MAGIC ® Sportfishing

baja Steve - 3-30-2008 at 08:43 PM

We have been working with Coco and his medical needs for the last 8 years. During this time we have helped him get to better doctors that not only help him with meds but teaching him what to and not to eat to help his Diabetes. I haven’t seen him in a couple of months but understand they are considering taking his foot. The last time I talked to his doctor they wanted to wait as long as they could because of where he lives and distance to medical help. He has been a good friend and I have seen Coco help a lot of people over the years. If anyone is going to be by his place please try to get fresh vegetables, sugar free snacks, low carb foods and diet colas to him if you can

motoged - 3-31-2008 at 12:54 PM

Nomads,

Since this thread started , it gained remarkable notice when Corky transferred it to ADV Riders forum, a forum focussing on "adventure motorcycling", many members of which have motorcycled in Baja and met Coco....or at least have heard of him.

So far, the donations forwarded to Murray Dochstader (friend of Coco and Baja rider) have been commented on in that thread:

"Adventuring "Comrads"

As of 2:30, Sunday p.m., we are at: $3048.76 (net of Paypal service fees), with approx another $200.00 promissed via cheque-in-the-mail!

Fantastic response from you-all.

Unfortunately, I cannot confirm Coco's condition, as I am unable to make any contact with anyone who has info from down there, at present.

If anyone is travelling, or has a contact, please post for the rest of us.

Thank you all!

El Mur."

So, thanks to any Baja Nomads who have found it in their hearts to help create a fund for Coco's amputation aftercare...

Quite the read:

Thanks,
Ged

bufeo - 3-31-2008 at 02:28 PM

We stopped by on 2/23/08 on the way back from San Ignacio. We hadn't seen any of these posts but made a donation in cash, up close, and personal. Obviously, since our visit was prior to the op we don't have any update, but I'll make some inquiries.

motoged - 3-31-2008 at 03:02 PM

Bufeo,
Good on you...:saint:

Our project is focusing on providing some form of wheelchair support. I know that personal donations to Coco will go to immediate needs....

Ged

motoged - 3-31-2008 at 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
Nomads,

Since this thread started , it gained remarkable notice when Corky transferred it to ADV Riders forum ... <snip.......

Correction to link posted above:

Quite the read:

[Edited on 3-31-2008 by motoged]

boe4fun - 4-1-2008 at 04:09 PM

Does anyone know where Coco will be on or about April the 14th? We will be leaving the Los Pinos Flying Sams clinic in SQ Monday morning and driving south to our La Paz clinic. We would like to visit with Coco and evaluate him for an additional prosthesis on our way south. Any info would be appreciated. Paul Boe

htakai - 4-1-2008 at 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
Nomads,
Coco is scheduled for surgery in the hospital in Guererro Negro on March 28th to have his "good leg" amputated (below the knee). Coco's "real" name is Jorge Sandez.... , should anyone passing thru a day or more later wanted to drop in to say hello/lift his spirits.

A pic of Coco on Feb 10/08 w/ Vancouver rider:

Hey, that's me! I had the pleasure of meeting Coco for the first time, back in February 2008. He was a friendly, comical, genuinely nice guy, I hope he's doing well.

Ged, I was part of the Kamloops Bus group. Heard a little about you, hope we get to ride one day....

Thanks for helping to organize the fundraiser!

[Edited on 4-2-2008 by htakai]

motoged - 4-1-2008 at 11:25 PM

Htakai,

Glad you are paying attention ;D

Apparently Coco is waiting for a bed in the Guerrero hospital (as of ADV Rider post yesterday)...and is staying with a friend there.

C'mon up for a ride sometime...single track or dual-sporting...we have cactus up here , just not the big stuff...

:biggrin:

motoged - 4-4-2008 at 09:19 PM

Grover,
Thanks for the tip(s)....I have passed them on to Murray, the donation co-ordinator....his recent post on ADV Riders April 4/08 is:

"Thanks for keeping this going, everyone!
I am away racing for the next several days, so a quick rundown to date:

-as far as we know, Coco has not had the operation
-PayPal is at $3,734.69
-cheques amount to $738.42
-cash approx $200.
Further info when I get back.

El Mur."

The response has been impressive....the "right chair" is yet to be determined.

Thanks for the interest, folks.

Ged