BajaNomad

Shark does the Baja 1,000 in a month

Taco de Baja - 3-24-2008 at 09:23 AM

Quote:
Released by Aquarium, shark hustles to Mexico
(03-22) 19:30 PDT -- One of California's best wildlife stories of the year, tracking the coastal adventures of a young great white shark, took a stunning twist in the past week.

The shark was released in February from the Monterey Bay Aquarium and in six weeks has already swum past the southern tip of Baja at Cabo San Lucas and is heading south to the Mexican mainland. That is a distance of roughly 1,200 miles covered in 44 days, according to electronic reports, an average of nearly 27 miles per day - and that's if the shark is swimming in a straight line, an unlikely event. That is the fastest a shark has been documented migrating south from Monterey to Baja, according to the Monterey Bay Aquarium.

This past winter, more than 650,000 people saw the young great white shark during its 162-day stay at the aquarium.

Another twist is that the public can track the shark's position online, where its movements are updated and mapped. Check it out at: las.pfeg.noaa.gov/TOPP_recent/index.html.

link

Juvenile White Shark 77272 3308001 15 Feb 2008 to 23 Mar 2008
with SST

elizabeth - 3-24-2008 at 02:34 PM

I think he was just hauling off to Mexico because he didn't want to get picked up and taken back to captivity in Monterey! He just figured it for an escape.

I'm just glad he didn't decide to head up the Sea of Cortez.

But, seriously, it's pretty exciting getting this information about whites.

David K - 3-24-2008 at 02:36 PM

I'd be worried if I was swimming near Mazatlan about now!:rolleyes::O

castaway$ - 3-24-2008 at 09:48 PM

Maybe it heard the seal tacos are excellent this time of year!

Sharksbaja - 3-25-2008 at 12:24 AM

Very cool and just proves how much our seas are connected. Sobering.

elgatoloco - 3-25-2008 at 06:56 PM

http://las.pfeg.noaa.gov/TOPP_recent/TOPP_tracks180.html?spe...

That website is great. On the left hand side you can click on tags from last 180 days and see all different kinds of species. The leatherback turtles and the albatross tracks are interesting as well.

The science these guys are doing is cool.

There is a track from Great White Shark 66880 that ends right on Malarrimo Beach

Thanks for the heads up.

Taco de Baja - 3-26-2008 at 07:35 AM

Winggrrl also posted about TOPP a few weeks ago.
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=30348#pid3053...

I wonder if the ending track for shark 66880 at Malarrimo Beach is because the tag came off and washed up there??? When I was there around 1986 there were a lot of electronic buoys with saying like "Property of US Navy. If Found call: xxx-xxx-xxxx."

elgatoloco - 3-26-2008 at 08:50 AM

"The $3,500 battery-powered tags can record water depth,temperature and ambient light every 15 seconds or so. They're programmed to pop off the shark months later and float to the surface."

Maybe we should put together an expedition to scour Malarrimo, find the tag and drive to: Phoenix :lol:

velella - 5-28-2008 at 05:09 PM

For the person who said... good thing he's not in the sea of Cortez should look again. As of the 27th it looks like he is at San Franciscito and heading north. I hope his tag stays on so I will know where he is when I go down snorkeling at L.A. Bay in August.

4baja - 5-28-2008 at 06:21 PM

castaway$ your killing me HA HA HA !

Paulina - 5-28-2008 at 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by elgatoloco

Maybe we should put together an expedition to scour Malarrimo, find the tag and drive to: Phoenix :lol:

Dern and I are in. We'll meet the two of you down there, find the tag and then do what the four of us do best...hang out in baja. You wouldn't mind taking the tag along on your next business trip so we can all have more time down south, would you?

P<*)))><

elgatoloco - 5-29-2008 at 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulina
Quote:
Originally posted by elgatoloco

Dern and I are in. We'll meet the two of you down there, find the tag and then do what the four of us do best...hang out in baja. You wouldn't mind taking the tag along on your next business trip so we can all have more time down south, would you?

P<*)))><

Let's do it! :bounce: When do we leave?:dudette: