BajaNomad

pics from last trip

bajapablo - 3-25-2008 at 10:02 PM

took the fam to san felipe/percebu march 8-13 here's a few pics. trip report to follow mas tarde...

my son, myself, and my dog enjoying the view of the cable at laguna percebu

worldseriesthanksgivingbaja 201 (Medium) (Medium) (Small).jpg - 48kB

birds please help out with the name...

bajapablo - 3-25-2008 at 10:06 PM

nest on a water tower in bahia santa maria

worldseriesthanksgivingbaja 229 (Small).jpg - 48kB

another bird shot

bajapablo - 3-25-2008 at 10:08 PM

try again

bajapablo - 3-25-2008 at 10:11 PM

worldseriesthanksgivingbaja 231 (Small) (2) (WinCE).jpg - 16kB

elgatoloco - 3-25-2008 at 10:16 PM

Osprey

don't rock the boat

bajapablo - 3-25-2008 at 10:33 PM

worldseriesthanksgivingbaja 247.jpg - 40kB

can't get close enough on the resize to do these flowers justice but they were beautiful...

bajapablo - 3-25-2008 at 10:38 PM

worldseriesthanksgivingbaja 235 (Small) (Medium) (Large).jpg - 26kB

the fam minus the big dog and one hija

bajapablo - 3-25-2008 at 10:46 PM

worldseriesthanksgivingbaja 264.jpg - 29kB

resizing really is not doing any of my pictures justice

bajapablo - 3-25-2008 at 10:50 PM

so i will stop for now. But the last pic was at puertocitos and I kid you not that abou 100 yards of shore we saw a whale come out of the water. Unbelievable. gave us all chills. Never knew there were whales coming up that far in the see of cortez. he surfaced (breached?) about 3 times and of course by the time the camera clicked it was all a pipe dream. Anyway. we had a wonderful time. camped at percebu with some friends and had the whole place to ourselves for the most part. We were the only campers. We left before the racers started coming in so it was perfect (for us). We like the peace and tranquility and San Felipe was way more tranquilo than in years past at this time.

bajapablo - 3-25-2008 at 10:52 PM

It is now midnight but since I'm already in baja mode I guess I'll start the trip report now...

bajapablo - 3-25-2008 at 11:14 PM

we left on Friday 3/07 and had our first blowout 20 miles out of mesquite in our new (used) to us tent trailer I bought from a friend (we are still friends) after a 3 hour delay and new 2 new tires in Overton we were back on the road following he scenic route along lake mead. Finally arrived a quartzite and camped with my wife's biological dad who has a moho there. We hit mexicali and tried the east entrance for the first time. What a breeze. especially pulling a tent trailer. Headed strait to percebu no problemas. Windy the first day and night after that it was beautiful.

Sunday we headed into church. Not to preach but it is enjoyable for us to visit people with a common thread in a foreign country. We also visited the big sand dune south of town near the water tower and the kids always have a blast there jumping and sliding around. Lots of hammock time and beach combing for the kids. Dinner in town on the corner of the malecon. mmmmmmm!

For breakfast everyday we saved dinero by firing up the dutch ovens on the camp chef and making breakfas burritos and pancakes. Breakfast for a family of 6 plus a friend and for another family of 8 was 30.00 for 4 days for my fam. more hammock time went to santa maria and the kids found many shells and we saw the osprey dinner on block off the malecon at the stone/brick place that serves steamed clams with every meal. double mmmmmm! Sleeping like babies every night. getting up at the crack of dawn. Life was good.

Tuesday we went to puertocitos and the kids loved the tide pools until the tide came in and we soaked for a very short while but it was a nice day. Wednesday we had to head home while our friends stayed another day. My son his friend he brought had tickets to the mountain west conference tournament or we would have stayed through Saturday.

But all is well, much to my boys chagrin we brought the girls along this time and had a blast as I knew we would and proved to my boys that that would have fun even with mom and all her rules. Seeing the whale was the bomb. As was laying in a hammock watching my girls play for hours. My buddy cooked breakfast everymorning while I worked on more hammock time. My wife had the baja bug bite and is now into planning my son's (who is only 14) senior trip driving the whole peninsula for a month after his graduation. Everything was copacetic. even the walking vendors seemed mellow and not overzealous as I remember. THe drive home sucked (12 hours) over 2 days but makes for good conversation time.
THe east exit was a 6 car wait and no problema.

Baja me encanta!

4baja - 3-26-2008 at 01:40 PM

nice report, looks like good weather and lots of fun. ospreys look happy.

BajaWarrior - 3-26-2008 at 10:00 PM

Great report, yep, we get whales from time to time...

Give us a shout when your near Santa Maria next time...

BW

TMW - 3-27-2008 at 07:21 AM

Thanks for sharing. It is always great when you can have a family vacation and everyone has fun together. I have never seen a whale in the Sea of Cortez that far north. I have seen them close to shore on the pacific side.