BajaNomad

Pompano Fish Report - A TALE OF TWO FISHES

Pompano - 3-27-2008 at 11:41 AM

As most of you fishermen know, it's been a less-than-super fishing season so far.

Usually a great time for yellowtail, they have been very spotty in this section of the Cortez. The last couple of weeks have been slow with one or two exceptions...San Marcos and Tortuga islands produced a couple good days. A successful fishing day for us is first of all...a good time on the water. Secondly, a tasty fish dinner for family and friends. One fish usually does that quite well.

2 weeks ago....South to Ille del Fonso=some smallish tails to 15lbs, and a few Loreto pangas came up to sample those....a looong ways to travel for those charters. Each charter was loading up on these small, but very active yellowtail. Poles were bent over everywhere.

Yesterday, March 27th, we joined 2 other boats full of 'expert fishermen' from Mulege and set out for San Marcos...geared for yellowtail action that just recently picked up some. We had launched at 5:30 a.m...subiki-ed our big-eye baits at nearby Punta Prieta before sunrise, and were off to the island in short order. (the round trip for us from Mulege - San Marcos with all trolling, chasing birds, etc was about 66 miles.)

We kept a good lookout all the way north..past Illes Sta Ines, Little Goat Point, etc... but spotted nothing worth pulling over for....just marveling again at all the new houses at Punta Chivato, Shell Beach, and the cove. Seems like just yesterday there was miles of empty beach on both sides of the old hotel & casa grande.

The surface was calm, water temp about 65, scattered clouds, and a hazy horizon...which looked like it might produce some conditions later on. The two German shorthairs, Chili and Pepper, had their spot on the bow and were pointing the way.

We quickly outdistanced our other two companion boats because of superior boatsmanship...and possibly because we were in a competitive mood. We had a bet on the biggest jurel, you see.

Arriving at the '110 hole' just north of the seal rocks at San Marcos Island, we joined a dozen or so other boats already fishing. Most likely seasoned anglers from San Lucas and San Bruno, with 2-3 pangas from nearby Sta. Rosalia. All bait fishing or pitching iron. We noticed a couple of tails hanging over gunnels as we chose a spot about 160 ft deep..with the humped rockpile below. Hey..'This looks pretty good!', we said.

Actually it's always that way, isn't it? After all, what fisherman heaves to and says, 'This spot is devoid of all life. Let's fish here.' Well..I take that back..there is always my good amigo, Rancid, who travels in his own space continuim...but that's a wierd tale and best left to another forum.

We put out a deep rig (Circle hook w/big-eye and nose-bumping 3 oz sliding-egg lead weight) and a fly-lined bait only. We set the deep rig about 15-30 feet off the bottom and let the fly-line swim with about 100 feet of line. Set the 'clicker' only, naturally. We had a couple of other outfits rigged for casting/jiggin (we like blue-whites the last couple seasons)..about 4-5 ouncers work for us.

Our first hookup came 5 minutes later on a jigged blue-white..and only about 50 feet below the hull.

Our expert gaffhand leaned over and deftly slid a 20-some pounder into the boat....without losing a drop of his tecate. (The shorthairs were dissapointed, as they had been patiently waiting for a little brew to hit the decks.)

The next two hookups were on deep water baits...brought up slowly.. but were a little strange. Both took the bait about 100 feet down and made the clicker really buzz..running strong for many yards..but letting go without getting hooked. Our other two companion boats reported similar events. Oh well, events will happen and you need to just adjust accordingly. We decided it was the dog's attention span at fault.

Aboard companion boat Mi Mujure, our buddy MacyMan, showed his skills at lassoing a pelican with a painless half-hitch around the leg. He is equally adept with boobies, gulls, terns, and cormorants.

Had a good time watching a panga fisherman with a youngster aboard who got into a good tail. Very excited, the young lad looked pretty pooped by the time it was brought to gaff. Reminded me of me..some time ago.

We went south a bit to a place called 'The Ranch'...just about straight east of southend of San Marcos. Before we arrived at that fabled honeyhole, we spotted bird action..and then big splashes of yellowtail hammering surface baits. We ran fast to them ...and cut the engine... while turning at right angles to the fish. We cast fly-lined baits into the mob and were instantly hooked up to a powerful jurel who had some shoulders to him. As he showed color, I was wishing I had my damn video camera..or any camera!..with me, but I had forgot to bring it. The fish looked very good for a portrait when he was just below the surface and slicing past the boat...about 20 feet away...great colors and vibrance!

The ex-expert gaffhand hit a main artery, slammed the fish into the boat and the decks were awash with bright red this time, as were his pants legs. The dogs sat down on the other side of the boat and rolled thier eyes. We now had two nice jurel in the boat and that is enough.

Our buddy boats joined us and we rafted-up for a short while there, but the horizon had now shown it's true colors...which was gray. Fog...heavy, dense, cold fog. (I thought of Bob y Susan's 'Fog' thread a couple weeks ago.) It rolled in very quickly now and cut visibility to less than 75 yards. Years ago we would have just went west on the compass, or wind direction, till reaching the Chivato shoreline and merely head south around the point, watching the depth meter, and got home to Mulege rio entrance with no big deal or worries.

Well, today we have these nice GPS machines and you HAVE to put them to use. So...we grouped up, the three boatloads of us, for a confab out there on the foggy sea. We had to decide what to do.

First, we decided our boat, Two Dogs, had the coldest beers. Stange Lady had the prettiest fisherpeople, and Mi Mujere had the best sandwiches.

Then came 'The Plan'...how best to survive this perilous journey through the deadly fog back to Mulege. There was much exchanges and adjustments made concerning GPS coordinates for San Marcos, Pta. Chivato, rockpiles, fishing holes here and there. We would go from: - waypoint 'The Ranch' - to waypoint '150 Chivato hole' - to waypoint 'Poco Loco' and finally arriving at - 'Lighthouse Point' and safety.

My suggestion to go first to waypoint 'San Carlos marina cantina' - have a few belts - and head 'er west - was rather poorly recieved, I thought.

We ran a magnificent GPS route and found home had not moved. Now it was time to trailer the boats and head to the Jungla for the weigh-in. Remember, we had a bet to settle. Every boat had good entries to make. (Note: We had already disallowed MacyMan registering his best pelican.)

Bart, Jungla owner, was promised a couple of the fish fillets if he assited in filleting the fish. We wanted to critique varios fishermen's fillet techniques. He agreed, but insisted on 'tipping us' with a few libations at the bar. We hesitated, but agreed it could happen. Ultimately, all involved were tipped generously..except for pelican abusers. Chili and Pepper refused a tip..still rankling from the bloody decks. Shorthairs can be a little uppity.

We all showed our skills at getting the best fillet out of a yellowtail on a tailgate next to La Jungla. Bart is good...as we all are. Lots of practice here and there. We had to be good, we were a bunch of fishermen, and not too many fillets, but that's A-okay with us.

The bet results: WE WON! Best fish...31.5 lbs. Huzzah!

Everyone tipped everyone else. Win-win. The following photos were taken by 'Marlin along the River', muchas gracias.

Below is John Dinning of Mulege showing his filleting skills.

*Stay tuned for the upcoming Pinto Derby notification to be held soon at Ana's Cafe, Santispac.

[Edited on 4-2-2008 by Pompano]

- 0 1 MiMujerfillets.JPG - 43kB

Bart takes a hand at it.

Pompano - 3-27-2008 at 11:43 AM

Bart, Jungla Cantina owner, is a good filleter, also. Plus his wife makes good use of the filleted carcass and heads.

-0 1 Bartfillets (Small).jpg - 44kB

Santiago - 3-27-2008 at 12:02 PM

Pomp: yer killing me man. Nothing finer than cleaning fish on the tailgate with beers and buddies. Good report.

Some fine specimens...ahem..

Pompano - 3-27-2008 at 12:10 PM

John Dinning & Pompano

- 0 1 fishtrip5.JPG - 42kB

I am rented out to Bart's as an open-mouthed flytrap.

Pompano - 3-27-2008 at 12:13 PM

Not a fly in sight around this tailgate anymore..

3 boats, 8 anglers, 5 fish. A great fun day on the water is the best reward.

In photo: Pompano, Mi Mujere, Jungle Bart, and Two Dogs.

End of Report

Till next time, adios

- 0 1 afishtrip3 (Small).JPG - 41kB

tripledigitken - 3-27-2008 at 01:24 PM

Great report Pomp!

Waiting for the Jurels up here in So Cal also.

Ken

capt. mike - 3-27-2008 at 04:42 PM

hey - is that ol' Juan i see wit ya Pomp? tell him i said hey.
i'll see ya'll next week.

Iflyfish - 3-28-2008 at 12:47 AM

Love it! Great report and pics too.
Iflyfish

mulegemichael - 3-28-2008 at 08:53 AM

good stuff, roger!...i see o.b. got into them!...can't stand it up here in the cold north; woke to a layer of white this morning. ..we're headed back down for a bit in a couple weeks. ...say hola to juan for roz and mike...nice pics!

Diver - 3-28-2008 at 08:59 AM

Great report; thanks !
Only problem is that I wasn't there !

Paulina - 3-28-2008 at 09:40 AM

Very fun read and nice fish to boot!

Skipjack Joe - 3-28-2008 at 11:44 AM

Thanks for the report. It's good to read to read about current conditions and a bit of added humor makes it even better.

bill erhardt - 3-28-2008 at 12:52 PM

A great report, Pomp. I make the trip to Ildefonso from the south pretty regularly in the spring. Although, recently the yellowtail action has been better south of Loreto at Catalana/Santa cruz, an even longer run. Let me know the next time you plan to make the trip and I will meet you there and pass off to you a Loreto Tecate.

venus - 3-28-2008 at 01:33 PM

nice tail Pompano! I did ok myself at the coronado's last year...

...can't wait for this years! I got the yellow fever already!

:bounce: