BajaNomad

Mayberry RFD Catavina style

Paulina - 3-27-2008 at 07:38 PM

Heading north this morning from Bahia, we pulled through Catavina around 7:30am, slowing for the speed bumps before passing the hotel. We noticed the Policia truck parked adjacent to the hotel parking lot to our left, watching the traffic pass by.

We were not surprised when he appeared in my side view mirror, nor when he turned on his headlights. Eventually he lit up his light bar and when the loud speakers starting quacking at us Dern figured he’d look for a pull out spot.

I remembered seeing this same Police truck along with two vehicles pulled over on the side of the road at the river bed crossing on our way south five days earlier. Dern commented that this officer must have the timing down pat. He knew just when to turn on the headlights, add the flashers, then honk the speakers just where it would be convenient to pull over at the river.

We passed up the river parking spot.

The Police truck repeated his siren quack with more emphasis as we passed his pre set river bed mark. Dern hit the brakes and hooked a hard right at the next dirt shoulder and pulled our truck to a quick stop. I don’t think the officer was expecting such a fast dismount from the highway as evident by the sound of his tires as they locked up behind us, screeching to a halt, as well as the look on his face as he approached Dern’s driver’s side window.

Dern rolled down the window as the officer asked, speaking perfect English,

“What’s your problem!!??”

Dern replied, “We don’t have a problem, you’re the one who pulled us over.”

He then asked for Dern to turn the truck engine off and to give him his driver’s license, which he declined to do. It quickly became an argument between the two,

“Give me your license.”

“No. It’s illegal for you to take my license.”

“Give me your license….”

This went on for a few minutes till Dern gave in and handed over his expired license from ’03. Then he asked for our registration and this time I spoke up, telling him that he was NOT getting our registration. I told him to write us the ticket so we could be on our way. He insisted on being handed the registration which led us to following him back to the station in Catavina to see his boss as I would not hand it over.

Once we got there he unlocked the doors to the station and led us inside. His perfect English switched to Spanish as he stepped to the opposite side of his desk. I told him that I would continue to speak English to him so I would not incriminate myself and would appreciate it if he continued to speak English as well.

He complied as he asked again for our registration in English, which Dern then handed over. With both documents now in his hand he insisted that we had been speeding, which we were obviously weren’t. Anyone who knows that spot knows to slow for the watery dip, slow again before hitting the speed bumps as you approach the hotel, and watch for the numerous cars that have a habit of pulling out in front of you, so no, we weren’t speeding.

I opened my journal and asked the officer for his name. He replied, “Jose Luis.” I looked up from my journal, held out my hand and asked to see his Police identification. I told him that he had our documents, I wanted to see his. I said Please. He held my gaze for a moment, reached for his wallet and handed me his I.D. card. I copied his name and asked Dern to read me his badge number as it was a bit blurred.

When I returned his card I said thank you, then I asked for the officer to write us our ticket and we would be on our way. I would gladly pay the ticket in Ensenada.

He said, “I see that you know the rules in Mexico,” to which I did not reply.

He went on to insist that we had to pay there.

I told him that we were not paying him. We would take the ticket and pay in Ensenada as Catavina is governed by Ensenada.

He insisted, “Catavina is different. You pay here.”

Again I refused. He then said that he had to call his boss, so he stepped over to the radio. We were to pay his boss, who would in turn write us a receipt. I don’t believe the radio was on as when he attempted to call, I never head any background noises.

He said that we had to wait for his boss to come. At one point I told him that I would not pay mordida to him or to his boss. I would take our ticket to Ensenada and pay there, or even mail it from the U.S. He told me that I had to pay the ticket there, would get a receipt, then I could file a complaint in Ensenada or San Quintin if I wanted to.

There were a few times during our conversation that words weren’t spoken. Long, quiet eye contact happened, a lot. Each time it was broken with the officer saying, “Ok, I see you know the rules, but this is the way it is going to be.”

After one of these quiet exchanges the officer looked at us from across his desk and said, “Come with me. Let me show you what you did!

We followed him outside to his truck. He opened his door then stood back as he stretched out his arm as to display the contents of the inside of his truck scattered on the passenger side floorboard.

“Look what you did!” he exclaimed.

I looked inside to see his glove compartment open, but didn’t take inventory of the truck’s contents. “I didn’t do that,” I said in reply. “It’s not my fault you stopped too quickly.”

(Yes, we did do a pretty abrupt stop, but I wasn’t going to claim it.)

“YOU stopped too fast,” he stated.

I took a long breath, looked at him and said, “You put your lights on and sounded your siren. That means stop. We stopped. You obviously were following us too closely and stopped too fast. That mess isn’t my fault.”

He closed the truck door and we returned inside to his desk where he resumed trying to call his boss on the radio. Dern had stepped outside to check the back of our truck as I had smelled gas while checking out the cab of the officer’s truck. Our generator’s gas can had tipped over. As he was righting that, a friend of ours pulled in. He had seen our truck on his way south, so he made a U turn and stopped in for a chat. We explained to Bruce what was going on and talked about the happenings over the past week in Bahia.

I was still waiting inside the station with the officer as he called on the non functioning radio when he said that he was going to take our registration with him and drive around town to find his boss, as he explained. “He’s not at his house. That is why he is not answering his radio.” I told him that he was not going to drive away with my documentation. Our buddy Bruce suggested that one of us go with him so I was just about to volunteer when the officer changed his mind.

I went out to get Cody from our truck and brought her back inside to use the restroom. I could hear Dern back at the desk talking to the officer. He had discovered Dern’s license was expired and was telling him that it was illegal to drive in Mexico on an expired license. Dern told him that he wasn’t driving on that license, it was just an old one he had on hand for the very reason he used it today.

Dern went back outside to finish chatting with Bruce as Cody and I exited the bathroom. Cody returned to the truck as I leaned against the door jam of the office. I watched Dern talking with Bruce as I waited to see what the officer would pull out of his bag of tricks next.

He had given up on the radio or on finding his boss. He was back standing at his desk with our documents in his hand as he said to me, “You need to calm down.”

I turned my head back to face inside the room as my eyes adjusted to the light and replied, “Oh, I am SO calm right now.”

He said, “Then Darren needs to calm down.”

I smiled and said, “He’s calm too.”

He then said, “Tell Darren to come back in here.”

“Dern! Jose Luis wants you.” I shouted. He and Bruce said their goodbyes and Dern returned to the office.

The officer handed Dern his license and registration as he said, “I’m going to do you a favor. I’m going to give you your driver’s license and registration back and give you a warning.”

Dern took the documents and shook his hand. I shook the officer’s hand too, why not, he seemed to be a good sparring partner. As we walked out the door he reminded us to drive carefully and to respect Catavina. Dern said, “We LOVE Catavina,” and as we continued to walk on we heard Jose Luis reply in a sarcastic way, “Yeah, I love Catavina too.”

We exchanged que tenga buen dias and were off before he had a chance to change his mind.

I do have a couple of questions;

Is Catavina a separate entity from Ensenada as Jose Luis stated? Was I correct in insisting that we could pay for our ticket in Ensenada or mail from the U.S.?

Can local Polica give tickets for speeding on the highway, or is that reserved for the Caminos Federales? Jose Luis didn’t have a radar gun only a machine gun held to his side as he approached Dern’s door so he didn’t really have any way of knowing our exact speed as we passed through town.

It was like stepping back into time, walking through the door of Mayberry R.F.D. and dealing with Barney Fife as he tried to find Andy on the radio.

It seemed obvious that he was cherry picking and picked a fruitless tree. He thought he picked a big red truck with the words GRINGO written all over it. We weren’t speeding, so I don’t feel bad about that, but if I was wrong in my assumptions regarding the ticketing process, oops, my bad, but I would like to know for the next time.

P. <*)))><

sd - 3-27-2008 at 07:51 PM

I don't know the answer to your question, but applaud you for standing your ground.

My hat is off to you!

Crusoe - 3-27-2008 at 07:57 PM

Paulina.........You did everything EXACTLY RIGHT!!! ++C++

Ken Bondy - 3-27-2008 at 08:09 PM

Paulina you and Dern are AMAZING!! What a great story. I am so glad you had the courage to do this, and that it WORKED. Felicidades,
++Ken++

BornFisher - 3-27-2008 at 08:37 PM

Well I`m glad to see that most folks have more principle than I do (I just give the cop $20)!!
And thanks for the "Heads Up" for that area!

Pompano - 3-27-2008 at 08:45 PM

Nice ending, Paulina and congrats for doing the right thing. Standing up to traffic ticket corruption anywhere in Baja usually results in a pass.

Maybe not that mid-America Mayberry RFD comparison, though? I thought that old show was all about family and small town values...fun stuff...not police corruption. Somehow I can't quite see Barney Fife or Andy shaking someone down like your Jose Luis.

Now a show comparison like 'In the Heat of the Night' I could believe. :yes:

You will enjoy the retelling of this story many times.

Santiago - 3-27-2008 at 08:53 PM

Sweet!

Paulina - 3-27-2008 at 08:55 PM

You're probably right there Pompano. I guess I can't imagine Aunt Bea walking in with a pie, or Matilda with a plate of juevos rancheros for that matter.

Our RFD thinking was that it was old fashioned, a step back in time; the office setting with the old metal desk and chairs, non functional radio and an officer who was "waiting" for his boss to show up. Jose Luis was no Barney, that is certain.

Dern was close to telling Jose Luis that we were going to head down the road to have breakfast with Oscar and Matilda, and to come get us when he found his jeffe. I wonder what he would have said to that.

P<*)))><

DENNIS - 3-27-2008 at 09:00 PM

Good for you guys. I am sooo proud of you. I think it's in the Ensenada municipality but they probably have their own municipal jurisdiction but, that's only a minor detail when the lady says "I will not pay."

Sorry I missed you when you came through. I had a box of Noche Buena for you to take to Bahia. I'll try to hang on to it till you guys return.

Paulina - 3-27-2008 at 09:13 PM

Dennis,

We're here till Sunday morning. If you haven't disposed of those Noche Buenas yet, I'll shake you down for them. Coffee at the liar's club manana?

P<*)))><

Paulina - 3-27-2008 at 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by morgaine7
Bravo!!
But I could barely focus on the story, remembering your practice run. :lol:

Kate

Kate,

That is SO FUNNY you mentioned that! I was laughing with Dern that it was too bad that he didn't leave that "message" on his old license and hold it up to the window when the officer asked to see it.

Can you just imagine what the nice officer would have done at that point? :lol:

We got a good giggle over the "what if " as we drove back to the station with Jose Luis following behind us. Thanks for bringing it back up.

P<*)))><

DENNIS - 3-27-2008 at 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulina
Dennis,

We're here till Sunday morning. If you haven't disposed of those Noche Buenas yet, I'll shake you down for them. Coffee at the liar's club manana?

P<*)))><

I thought I saw Big Red parked up the street this evening.
OK...If I miss you at Paty's I'll bring them over mañana

Bob H - 3-27-2008 at 11:54 PM

Wow, great story! Thanks.
Bob H

Iflyfish - 3-28-2008 at 12:21 AM

You rock! Good one! Nomads one, Barny zero.

Iflyfish

Capt. George - 3-28-2008 at 04:18 AM

As Buford Pusser would say, "when you're right, your right"! Good job.

Coming through Tijuana early one morning (dark) Deborah and I were stopped, we seen the police car and were literally crawling, knew he was going to pull us over, he did...After conversing with the Officer (in Espanol) for a while and explaining that both Deborah and I double checked our speed, he rambled on anyway. I then simply informed him he was no Policia but a bandito, who was not going to get mordida from us. At that point, I quit speaking Spanish and every so often would look him in the eye, and say "no policia, bandito". After a few of those, he gave up and sent us on our way. Not over yet!

Five minutes up the highway, the flashing lights of a motorcycle cop. Pulled us over and came to Deborah's side of the window. After the typical nonsense about speeding, Deborah informed him that, my husband must get to the Veterans Hospital in San Diego very soon. He is a Viet Nam Vet and we have to get there for medicine and therapy. After I had completely ignored him during there entire conversation, I leaned over and with a crazed look in my eye, screamed "Si, Si!!!!

At that point he backed off and said Vamos, Vamos!!! I guess Viets Vets are considered strange even in Mexico...wadda trip!

capt. mike - 3-28-2008 at 05:15 AM

bastard, purely....simply.:mad:

glad i don't have to drive much there.

Capt. George - 3-28-2008 at 06:48 AM

bastards yes, but the Gov't worse.

They pay the cops crap and pretty much tell them to go get the extra dinero elsewhere...

It sucks, but Baja is worth it. Viva Baja

DENNIS - 3-28-2008 at 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Capt. George
They pay the cops crap and pretty much tell them to go get the extra dinero elsewhere...

It's another form of induced tipping.

TonyC - 3-28-2008 at 08:05 AM

Paulina,

Your are my HERO. I would have payed the $20 to be on my way, but I will now follow your lead. You showed me the light.

------------------------ BAJA NOMADS----------------------------------

------------MORDIDA....Don't try that on PAULINA------------------

Becky's (wife) going to put that on a shirt for me. Thank you for showing this newbie how it's done. You are one of the reasons I love this club. So much to learn.

Thank you,
Tony

Lauriboats - 3-28-2008 at 08:21 AM

Good job standing your ground.

Capt. George - 3-28-2008 at 08:48 AM

induced tipping, I like that. Had something like that in NYC before the Knapp Commisssion...............

now just the politicians get their hands greased!

Eli - 3-28-2008 at 10:24 AM

Paulina, great story, well written, I really enjoyed it. I applaud your bravo.

For sure I am one of the pay and be on my way sort of travelers. I take mordia in Mexico as simply an informal way of paying taxes.

For years now, I have been giving the local cops $200 pesos a pop whenever they hit on me for gas money, maybe once every couple of months. They always come to me with the line of "I am so embarrassed, but we need gasoline for our truck so that we may patrol your neighborhood", and I always reply with "Not to worry, I am grateful that you are here and happy to help out". Am I being hypocritical? YEP, you bet.

Still, my perspective is; They truly are underpaid, and I want them on my side when I need them.

David K - 3-28-2008 at 10:32 AM

Sweet...

Good for you guys!

Thanks for the story!!

DENNIS - 3-28-2008 at 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Eli
For years now, I have been giving the local cops $200 pesos

That's one of the problems. Not that you give them 200 Ps but, that the amount has grown way out of that catagory. Now, in many areas, they are demanding hundreds of dollars for simple to non-existent infractions.

"Induced tipping runs amok"..Film at eleven

Kell-Baja - 3-28-2008 at 11:52 AM

Wow, you guys are much braver than me.:bounce:

Eli - 3-28-2008 at 11:53 AM

Dennis, certainly if I was being hit on for Hundreds of DLLs. my attitude would be different.

Mayberry vs Catavina

Skipjack Joe - 3-28-2008 at 11:53 AM

... the difference being that Barney was allowed to only keep a single bullet in his left shirt pocket. And when he overstepped his limits had to hand it over to Andy, dejectedly.

Glad to see you win the mordida battle with the cop although I feel that either way it takes a toll on a vacation. I can still feel the anger in the writing. Win or lose, having to go through that is unpleasant. But that's just part of the latin 'experience'.

[Edited on 3-28-2008 by Skipjack Joe]

Separated at birth ?

Halboo - 3-28-2008 at 02:24 PM

[img]http://cache.eb.com/eb/image?id=98354&rendTypeId=4[/img]

Bajagypsy - 3-28-2008 at 03:55 PM

You guys ROCK!!!

Capt. George - 3-28-2008 at 04:00 PM

In my case, I actually found it amusing! Maybe another time it might not be so "funny"?!

Wiles - 3-28-2008 at 04:17 PM

PAULINA for DELEGADA!!!:bounce::bounce:

Paulina - 3-28-2008 at 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Quote:
It seemed obvious that he was cherry picking...

It seems clear you consider this an abuse of police power, you took obvious pains to document it, and there were two witnesses. Did you happen to report it to anybody outside of this forum? Besides commiserating, we cybernuts aren't a whole lot of good to wreak change in Mexican government.

I can understand not wanting to get the police involved in a complaint process; has anyone ever tried reporting this stuff to Turismo? That is one agency I should think would be on the tourists' side...

--Larry

Larry,

I asked a few questions at the end of my post, and until I know the answers I would feel stupid filing a complaint based only on my opinion of the law.

There are a few people on this board who may be able to give me the answers, letting me know if I have a valid complaint.

I do have the officers full name and badge number should I need to use it.

P<*)))><

Problem solved

Bronco - 3-28-2008 at 05:06 PM

Yo Paulina, maybe you can kiss Mayberry goodby. After playing the game for years I just went into Ensenada and got a Mexican drivers license. End of problem and it can be fun. One quick story at the linea when a Mexican in a real beater tapped me or vice a versa. Entonces, I told him we should meet on the other side once we got thru customs. Being the cordial guy I am I pulled over by the Jack in the Box as did he. You could see the $$$$$ signs over his evil little smile. As protocol goes I offered my license and he offered his- a California DL vs my Mex. DL. The look was fantastic as he said "Oh S--t man". Got in my car and bid him adios.

Baja&Back - 4-11-2009 at 08:47 AM

Quote:
I do have a couple of questions;

Can local Polica give tickets for speeding on the highway, or is that reserved for the Caminos Federales?
P. <*)))><

Ever notice those signs saying Begin or End Tramo de Carga? Federal jurisdiction for the highway changes to local at each town it travels thru. Thats why the pavement is so lousy in so many towns. They have no money to maintain their stretch of road.

Local cops have jurisdiction within the town boundary. They are trying to raise funds to repave the road for your comfort & safety. :lol:

Udo - 4-11-2009 at 09:52 AM

You are my mordida hero, Paulina. And thanks for the heads up in Catavina!

Bajahowodd - 4-11-2009 at 12:25 PM

I'm actually surprised that no one else has had the pleasure of meeting with the local cop. He's been working it for years. Usually preys on people in the morning leaving the Desert Inn headed North. Figures he's got a better chance with people anxious to get home.

thebajarunner - 4-11-2009 at 12:28 PM

I flip on my Escort radar detector when I cruise thru there (lot of good that will do me, I know)
Too many official cars for a place as small as that.
Way too many...
Like one is too many IMO

mtgoat666 - 4-11-2009 at 12:36 PM

Quote:

We passed up the river parking spot.

Dern hit the brakes and hooked a hard right at the next dirt shoulder and pulled our truck to a quick stop. I don’t think the officer was expecting such a fast dismount from the highway as evident by the sound of his tires as they locked up behind us, screeching to a halt, ...

“Give me your license.”

“No. It’s illegal for you to take my license.”

He insisted on being handed the registration which led us to following him back to the station...

funny story.

Lucky you didn't get rear ended playing that game :lol:

So,... is it really illegal for a cop to ask to see your license or registration? I think not. May be illegal for him to "take" it, but I think he has a right to ask you to show it and legal for him to inspect it. And if you give him a cop an expired license, can't he cite you for driving w/o a license?

Noleakman - 4-11-2009 at 05:10 PM

I was told by Don Johnson at the Serinadad Hotel that Baja Sur tickets were handeled there in Baja Sur and tickets North were handeled in Baja North But that might be Federal police?

fixtrauma - 4-11-2009 at 09:25 PM

I have not laughed that hard for a long time. Then I read your story to my wife and laughed all the way through it again because I knew what was coming this time.

You write so well. Thanks for taking the time to tell us this one.

:lol:

gallesram - 1-7-2013 at 05:04 PM

I know this is a very old thread but it has significance to me because I was just pulled over in Catavina last week. I have always been suspicious of that police station (what's the reason for having one in Catavina; such a remote place?). When the police officer came to my window, he began apologizing for pulling me over; now I was really confused. Then appeared another policeman holding 2 suitcases who also apologized profusely; turns out that they pulled me over because the chief (Jose) needed a ride to Ensenada since his car wasn't working and given that I was traveling alone could I give him one? I really wasn't about to say "no" so I ended up giving him a ride; and it gave me 4 1/2 hours to ask him a ton of questions about being a police officer in Mexico, living in Catavina, etc. He spoke perfect English and was eager to practice it.

It turned out to be a very interesting ride and he seemed to be a good guy; I was surprised to learn that he earns about $25K/year, which isn't bad for a policeman in Mexico. But the living conditions are pretty harsh in Catavina and he mainly deals with accidents on the highway as well as theft of animals among ranchers. I guess they also grow a lot of marijuana in the hills around Catavina. His boss is indeed in Ensenada and he travels up there every 2 weeks to meet with him. He also told me all about "Gotta Peso", the homeless guy in Catavina as well as the head chef at the Hotel restaurant (I'll think twice about eating there now; better choice is the restaurant across the street). I felt a little funny speeding (remember the highest speed limit is 50 MPH; who drives that slowly?) and I took a few calls on my cell phone but he didn't mind either of the infractions. And I have one of those Sindicatura stickers on the back of my car, too!

I chalked this up to another classic Baja experience; he was sure grateful for the ride and now I guess I have a "connection" in Catavina (like that's going to ever do me any good!).

Udo - 1-7-2013 at 05:48 PM

I stopped at the Cataviña gift store a couple of weeks ago. I saw the two police officers and asked directions to the El Marmol gift store.

I don't think they could have spoken to a more GRINGOISH GRINGO, with a kayak on top of an FJ cruiser.
But they were both helpful with the directions.

However, big difference...I spoke in perfect Español wit them, and they were very cordial.

Great storys

captkw - 1-7-2013 at 06:11 PM

20 odd years ago I left the wife & dog at camp and was going to the Big city S.J.D.C. for the weekly supplys..came up to the hwy and three cops in uniform..One waved so I pulled over and and they climbed in (volvo sedan) and the It hit me,, like a ton of brinks...the wifes joints were in the rear ashtray between the two front bucket seats facing the (2) cops...and then my spanglish wasnt that great.. but I made clear .." no smoking please" and drove for 45 mins to town with my heart skipping about every 4 beat !!! I'll never forget that ride !!:lol: wonder why me a the wifeee alwas got in fights about carrying herb !! LOL ...K&T

David K - 1-7-2013 at 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gallesram
I know this is a very old thread but it has significance to me because I was just pulled over in Catavina last week. I have always been suspicious of that police station (what's the reason for having one in Catavina; such a remote place?). When the police officer came to my window, he began apologizing for pulling me over; now I was really confused. Then appeared another policeman holding 2 suitcases who also apologized profusely; turns out that they pulled me over because the chief (Jose) needed a ride to Ensenada since his car wasn't working and given that I was traveling alone could I give him one? I really wasn't about to say "no" so I ended up giving him a ride; and it gave me 4 1/2 hours to ask him a ton of questions about being a police officer in Mexico, living in Catavina, etc. He spoke perfect English and was eager to practice it.

It turned out to be a very interesting ride and he seemed to be a good guy; I was surprised to learn that he earns about $25K/year, which isn't bad for a policeman in Mexico. But the living conditions are pretty harsh in Catavina and he mainly deals with accidents on the highway as well as theft of animals among ranchers. I guess they also grow a lot of marijuana in the hills around Catavina. His boss is indeed in Ensenada and he travels up there every 2 weeks to meet with him. He also told me all about "Gotta Peso", the homeless guy in Catavina as well as the head chef at the Hotel restaurant (I'll think twice about eating there now; better choice is the restaurant across the street). I felt a little funny speeding (remember the highest speed limit is 50 MPH; who drives that slowly?) and I took a few calls on my cell phone but he didn't mind either of the infractions. And I have one of those Sindicatura stickers on the back of my car, too!

I chalked this up to another classic Baja experience; he was sure grateful for the ride and now I guess I have a "connection" in Catavina (like that's going to ever do me any good!).

Great story and I wish I was there with you guys to hear it all!

Paulina - 1-7-2013 at 07:41 PM

I wonder if your new friend Jose is the same guy we dealt with?

I would love to hear the story of Gotta Peso, or Andy Hurr, as he calls himself. Maybe start a new thread? I've always wondered what his story was, according to the locals. We all know his version(s).

Thanks,
Paulina >*)))>{

ps. We still creep through Catavina, even after all this time.

KevinFromUtah - 1-7-2013 at 08:38 PM

Quote:

I also couldn't pass up this post or your response and found myself laughing out loud at the coincidences between your story and mine.

A month ago when I totaled my car near Catavina (http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=64627) it was Jose Luis who was a great help to me and my friends. In the day and a half we were there, he would check in on us to see how everything was going.
When he found out we were going to take a bus back to the border, he said he was headed home to Ensenada and offered to give us a ride. He ended up taking the three of us and all of our gear across the border where we met up with my dad.
Along the way he introduced us to his family and his favorite taqueria, and gave me a chance to ask him all sorts of questions about Baja, as his English really is impeccable. He was extremely polite and helpful, but obviously there's two sides to every coin as the other stories unfortunately illustrate.

I'm not trying to defend the speed trap at all, or cops asking for bribes. Just found it worth commenting on the strange reverse situations we found ourselves in. Small world.

Thanks for the post Kevin !!

captkw - 1-7-2013 at 09:05 PM

well,, EDIT..a few minutes later..sorry,,had Dog problem & had to run...NOW,,what was I going to say............................................:?:

[Edited on 1-8-2013 by captkw]

Marc - 1-7-2013 at 11:12 PM

Now when he pulls me over in Cataviña i will tell Jose Luis he is now famous on the internet.

Marc - 1-7-2013 at 11:15 PM

Quote:

Tell us about the chef at the hotel.:?::?::?:

BajaNomad - 1-7-2013 at 11:46 PM

Quote:
I would love to hear the story of Gotta Peso, or Andy Hurr, as he calls himself. Maybe start a new thread?

Many existing threads on Gotta Peso:

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=36086
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=42730
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=49084
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=50032
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=50325
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=53915

DianaT - 1-8-2013 at 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Marc

Tell us about the chef at the hotel.:?::?::?:

Yes, please

gallesram - 1-8-2013 at 11:47 AM

Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned that (about the chef at the hotel); but since I did I'll convey what he said. Let me preface by saying that I always stop there for breakfast on my way south and I have never had a problem.

When I mentioned that, Jose said that the chef is a real slob and he would never eat the food that came out of the kitchen. When he first moved there 5 years ago he used to eat at the hotel but later started eating all of his meals at the restaurant right across the street because he thought that the kitchen was too dirty. We talked alot about where to eat in different places so he seemed to be pretty savvy on that point; when I told him that I never had a problem at the hotel and that I enjoyed my stop there he said "you really need to stop eating there".

One other thing to mention: the police station in Catavina has no telephone and no radio communication with Ensenada. The only radio they have is one to the hotel which has the only telephone in town. So if they need anything, they radio the hotel and the hotel makes the phone call for them. They also have no electricity other than solar, no running water and certainly no hot water (they get their water from the hotel and they heat it with a fire). There is also no refrigerator for their food so he eats 2 meals a day at the restaurant across from the hotel.

I mentioned the problem down in Constitution with police corruption (I tread lightly here because I didn't want to get him mad). He seemed to dislike the corruption as much as me; he said that those police have no training whatsoever (they just show up and when hired put on a uniform whether they have experience or not) and make around $200/week. Everyone seems to expect that they will supplement their income with morditas. Different jurisdictions pay their police different salaries; not all are the same. When I explained the routine we use of not paying cops, speaking only English, not handing over a driver's license, insisting on going to the station, etc., he agreed that this was the best way to avoid paying a mordita.

DavidE - 1-8-2013 at 05:00 PM

I will risk being condemned for harping on this point :)

For unfair stops, take the doggone time to file a complaint with the Green Angels. No cop, from a rurale, to the commandante of the SSP can ignore the ton of paperwork that has to be filled out to address a federal complaint. Many Mexican cops tell me they would rather face a sicario than a queja federal de SCT. Every T has to be crossed and i dotted or it goes back to the officer. The cop is grilled and they do not like it one bit. If they should be stupid enough to ignore the summons, they go to jail or pay a 1,100 peso multa. Then they fill out the forms.

Unless the cop is driving a car or pickup with the word MUNICIPIO, PJE (State) or PFP (federal) he is a RURAL and subject to very restrictive rules as to how he can administer traffic law.

If you elect to do so DEMAND A FACTURA for any payment of any fine. A FACTURA has the SHCP SAT module emblem imprint on the receipt and an official folio number. No Factura, no pay. It is a FEDERAL FELONY to issue a receipt for a delito that does not have the SHCP SAT folio number on it. Want to cop to back down, if he insists on payment, tell him "Si! Con Un Receibo de FACTURA. Solo FACTURA!" This is playing hardball and it's best to demand a FACTURA politely. Stay businesslike, and professional. A cop doesn't need to be a nuclear physicist to realize when he is in over his head.

Udo - 1-8-2013 at 05:41 PM

I definitely agree with the FRACTURA with a seal!

Lee - 1-8-2013 at 07:03 PM

FYI and only my opinion: DO NOT hand over your original DL or registration.

Make copies, give it to a cop asking for it.

Hand over originals, game over. You lose.

msawin - 1-8-2013 at 07:19 PM

Is there any truth to any of his "Gotta Peso Man's", Hollywood stars stories?

Paulina - 1-8-2013 at 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad
Quote:
I would love to hear the story of Gotta Peso, or Andy Hurr, as he calls himself. Maybe start a new thread?

Many existing threads on Gotta Peso:

Doug,
I know that there are many existing threads on him. I've contributed to a few. As I said, we all know his version. What I was asking is to hear the LOCAL VERSION of his story. Start a new thread on what the cop had to say. Where does the guy sleep? What do the locals think about him?

Quote:
..... I've always wondered what his story was, according to the locals. We all know his version(s).

gallesram - 1-9-2013 at 12:30 PM

Paulina, I had the same idea (wanted to know the "local" perspective). Jose clearly thinks the guy is nuts and he regaled me with the stories that we have read about from others. I learned that he lives in his car, eats cookies & drinks pepsi from the local tienda (that's the extent of his diet). One thing that was interesting; Gotta never pays with any paper money, only coins. This has lead the locals to think that he is secretly stashing away paper money to be able to someday return to the US. I didn't get the sense that they look at Gotta with disgust or pity, just as someone with a screw loose.

Gotta claims he's from Switzerland and was secretly kidnapped to the US; Jose said "so if you're from Switzerland, you must speak German; let's hear it". Of course, Gotta didn't reply to that.

DavidE - 1-9-2013 at 01:09 PM

Lee if the cop looks at your copies of car registration or DL and demands the originals he has the law behind him. I'm not suggesting to fork them over merely to keep this fact in mind. The Codigos Transitos de PFP are based on these universal state laws and I read the laws pitiful word for pitiful word.

I suggest another tactic. Before you fork over ANYTHING, request the cop fork over an OFFICIAL RECEIPT for your paperwork. Listing the entire description and numbers for your documents. His name, badge number, vehicle license number, time & date.

"Quiero recebo para los documentos, que dice nombres de documentos, fechas, tu ID oficial, fecha, y tu firma."

This will slow them down.

Corrupt cops pray to the gods for gringos because gringos NEVER EVER EVER do anything about it. ZERO. They take the abuse and flee like mute rabbits.

I've "processed" more than a dozen cops and I can tell you for a fact they do not like it but there isn't a damned thing they can do about it. One jerk in downtown Lazaro Card##as Michoacan refuses to look at me now. I ran him through the meat grinder, including sindacatura, state and federal tourism board exams, the PGE and PGR and made copies of the complaints and actions and circulated the copies to all the businesses on ave Reforma in Lazaro Card##as.

No tickee, no washee.