BajaNomad

La Ventana/Muertos

AcuDoc - 3-31-2008 at 08:58 PM

I heard awhile ago that they now have a launch ramp at Muertos. Is this true? How much does it cost?

tnx

bill erhardt - 4-1-2008 at 02:45 AM

There is a ramp, right by the Giggling Marlin. I towed my boat from Loreto last fall and fished three days. I spent one night on the boat in the parking lot and one night at anchor. There was no charge for launching or parking, but I spread some fish around.

BajaBruno - 4-3-2008 at 02:29 PM

The ramp is pretty good. I launched my Bayrunner there several times about the same time as Bill did. It's an adequate ramp by Mexico standards: the trouble is that there is no dock, there is a little surge, and the winds tend to be fickle. All this means swimming back and forth to the boat, unless one has a kayack or something.

There are mooring bouys, and as of mid-November the ramp was padlocked and they were charging for launching. I don't remember how much. $20 maybe? I thought I posted it here, but perhaps not.

DonBaja - 4-3-2008 at 02:40 PM

Here's a picture of the ramp for you

MexCabo 170 (Small).jpg - 40kB

DonBaja - 4-3-2008 at 02:46 PM

Another

MexCabo 169 (Small).jpg - 30kB

805gregg - 4-3-2008 at 09:43 PM

It's been renamed by the wealthy land developers to Bahia de los Suenos, guess bay of death is not good for property sales.

bill erhardt - 4-4-2008 at 08:19 AM

A rose by any other name........ The ramp, although not perfect, provides nice access to the fishing on the East Cape for those coming from the north. It is a 6 hour trip from Loreto. Much more convenient than driving on down to Los Barriles, launching over the sand, setting a mooring and ferrying fuel. The yellowtail bonanza on the point about 3 miles from the ramp for the past month or so has me thinking about an early trip down.

Diver - 4-4-2008 at 08:27 AM

Most folks (and locals) are launching on the sand beach just to the right of the ramp.
Low tides can make retreival a bit of work.
We fished there this past Jan/Feb in 14' and 16' tin boats with no problem.

Bay of the Dead Death Knell

Pompano - 4-4-2008 at 01:26 PM

Sorry to hear about the loss of an old Baja name...Bahia de los Muertos...Bay of the Dead. Seems like a true death knell for a lot of Old Baja. Que lastima.

Bill, keep us posted on that yellowtail bite!.. and Gracias!

AcuDoc - 4-4-2008 at 06:36 PM

Yeah I've been there since the renaming...it will always be Bahia de Muertos to me...

tnx for the replies

Bernardo - 4-7-2008 at 09:49 PM

Just spent three days there - ramp is there and free. Caught many yellow tail and sierra as well as bonito and one giant needlefish - 4.5 feet - looked like a huge python. Also, there were tons of bright red dog snapper hitting live bait. We stayed in truck campers in the Mexican parking lot - two of us. No problem. Launched our tin boat over the sand beach. Calm winds and blue skies were the order of the day. They are putting a water line all the way from Los Planes - a major undertaking. A lot of bulldozer work around the entrance to Bahia de Muertos. Come quick and buy your lot for $450K while they last.