BajaNomad

Photos of day trip through Valle las Palmas, April 5, 2008

tripledigitken - 4-6-2008 at 08:42 PM

Roy (squarecircle) put together a day of off-roading south of Tecate this last Saturday. Myself and Paula joined Roy and 3 friends in his Land Rover and Broc in his Izuzu Trooper.

We left Mex 3 at Valle Las Palmas around 10 am and headed off-road toward the coast ending at Cantamar. We went through a recently repopulated Rancho that has been shutoff from visitors for many years. The trails and roads we traveled showed no recent use at all. Horses and cattle roamed the huge rancho and all were in amazing condition.

We saw many off-roaders on motorcycles and quads throughout the day. We were between elevations 1200' & 1600' most of the day.

The cemetary the Gilbert family were laid to rest was one of the highlights of the trip for me. The view of the valley was incredible.

We were back on pavement at Cantemar around 4:30 pm and decided that a seafood meal at Popotla would be a good way to end the day.

I want to thank Roy for heading up this trip and encourage others to explore this area of northern Baja.

Ken

Note the lack of traffic through this area!

Many Ranchos offer refreshments to the off-roaders traveling through

The fishing village of Popotla is very popular with locals, we saw very few norte americanos there

Thanks Roy we look forward to many more trips with you in Baja!

for more pictures and slideshow go here (just hit the slideshow bar in upper right) http://dunken.smugmug.com/gallery/4664717_uXwWA#275541592

[Edited on 4-9-2008 by tripledigitken]

Natalie Ann - 4-7-2008 at 09:09 AM

I love that barn, Ken, what cool colors.
Looks like you had a fun weekend. Thanks for taking us along.

Nena

Russ - 4-7-2008 at 09:25 AM

As always, way cool photos tripledigit. Some of the effects you added are really neat. I like the ocean spray coming over the hill and the effects you got at the beach sight. Keep posting they're great!

Gadget - 4-7-2008 at 09:50 AM

Very nice. Sorry we missed it :(

BAJACAT - 4-8-2008 at 09:15 PM

Me too:(:(

David K - 4-9-2008 at 07:35 AM

Thanks Ken for the cool photos... Looks just as nice as it did 3 years ago... Roy 'The squarecircle' is a good trail boss in Baja!

tripledigitken - 12-5-2011 at 12:01 PM

This is in some of the same country Ken Cooke went through (west end).

David K - 12-5-2011 at 12:32 PM

JUST FYI, Josh (our son) saw Roy last week at RaceWorks in Santee...

Awesome Day!

El Vergel - 12-6-2011 at 07:25 PM

Great Trip Report. Killer pics! Thanx 4 the share.

bacquito - 12-7-2011 at 05:57 PM

Enjoyed, thanks

tripledigitken - 12-7-2011 at 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
JUST FYI, Josh (our son) saw Roy last week at RaceWorks in Santee...

I recently talked to him over the phone.

Thanks for the comments on the photos. Here's a few more......

Notice the lack of past tracks on this road!!!

Natalie Ann - 12-7-2011 at 06:48 PM

Ken... in the first of this last series of photos, notice the cross on the left appears to have a small brick in front of it... the cross on the right a larger round rock. What do you suppose is the meaning?

or do I make a fool of me in asking:rolleyes:

nena

tripledigitken - 12-8-2011 at 08:55 AM

Nena,

I don't know the significance, but many other headstones had rocks placed by them as well. They surely had meaning to those that placed them.

Ken

[Edited on 12-8-2011 by tripledigitken]

wessongroup - 12-8-2011 at 09:43 AM

Ken ... that "barn" is cosmic in color ... unreal shot.. muy bueno :):)