BajaNomad

thanks for the Ensenada trip advice!

vetra - 4-7-2008 at 11:34 AM

Just got back into Chicago from our trip to San Dego, a piece of Baja Norte, and Phoenix. Just wanted to say thanks for everybody's advice as we were planning trip--hard to believe that we were just in Ensenada
just last Sunday! Truly loved the area, but unfortunately we didn't have a lot of time and as everyone had mentioned, we wouldn't have time to see everything we had hoped to.

Couple of brief trip highlights--headed out from San Diego early in the morning--uneventful, except that as we approached the border a California Highway Patrol car in front of us started zig-zagging across the lanes, I guess to slow down traffic--sort of like a sheep dog--it worked, but I still don't get what it was all about--there was some construction or obstruction on of the exit ramps around Imperial
Beach, but anyways after that clear sailing to and through the border. Navigated our way sucessfully to 1D--although at times it seemed like it could be tricky for someone who hadn't familiarized themselves a little.

I found the section that parallels the border sort of fascinating, in that the Mexican side is built up right to border's edge while there appears to be sort of a no man's land on the US side. Anyways traveled down and saw at least the back's of places or developments I read about here.

We stopped at La Fonda for breakfast---I know it has gotten mixed reviews, but we found it fabulous—lots of great food, beautiful location--for a couple from Chicago, what more do you want?

Fully fueled after breakfast, made our way further south and stopped at El Mirador for the scenic view--glad we did--absolutely breathtaking scenery. From there of course not far to Ensenada, and after the last toll made our way down town and beyond, wound through some neighborhoods, stopped at Estero Beach and made our way up (I guess that's down as in south) to Punta Banda. I wanted to go out to the peninsula because the mountains from the shore seemed so inviting. Though it wasn't part of our original plan, once we were in Punta Banda, we made our way out to La Bufadora--as it was low tide we didn't get any spout action, but it was a pleasant diversion nonetheless, and my wife bought a couple of knock off Prada purses from one of the vendors-again the scenery was beautiful.

Made our way back and stopped in town briefly. I had hoped to take Route 3 back, but decided to go back 1D instead, as we were familiar with the route, it was getting late, and we wanted to try Puerto Nuevo lobster--on a side note, if we weren't going to stop at PN I saw a place in Ensenada called Mariscos that seemed interesting...when we were in Phoenix visiting our grand nephew in Phonenix Children's Hospital we found what I guess is another "store" of this restaurant near the hospital—best meal I had the whole trip.

On our way back stopped in PN for some lobster--can't remember exactly which restaurant it was except that it was right on the shore on a bluff-- the restaurant hawkers were a little overwhelming, but it was kind of cool and we enjoyed the meal.

Headed back north toward the border, a little tricky after the toll road stops. I don't know where we were exactly, but when we got to the place where we needed to turn left there was a little police action and we got waved into a lane which headed us away from where we were supposed to go. We somehow ended up on Route 2 toward Tecate, by this time it was well past dark. I figured this would take us to Otay Mesa and followed a late model Lexus with California plates, figuring he was headed for the border as well. This went on for miles, until he exited in some neighborhood in Tijuana. I followed him up some hills and finally got his attention after flashing my lights and honking the
horn as he stopped to let some of his young daughters off at a residence in TJ. To my surprise, when I did get his attention, he wasn't going to the border at all, and in fact, spoke English with the heaviest accent I had heard all day. When I told him I was following him thinking that he was going to the border, he was terribly gracious and took the time to lead us back through the winding streets of TJ to the road that led to the border.

Took that road for several miles, but just to make sure we stopped at a Pemex station where we were told we had two options—one to continue straight ahead to Otay or to take another road 5 miles to San Ysidro—he suggested we go to San Ysidro. We followed his advice and finally reached a place where traffic stopped—really stopped--for four hours stopped. Not sure how far away we were from the border, it had to have been only a mile or two—I wonder where they start measuring border wait times? The vendors were entertaining and we bought a little more stuff just out of sheer boredom—I was prepared for an hour or two, but four hours—wow. By the time we finally reached the border inspection station, I was expecting to at least get a full body cavity search for all the time we had waited in line, but the border agent just asked us what we bought and waived us through in about 2 seconds.

Although our time was very limited we had a great time and would like to explore further in the future---thanks again for all your help and suggestions. One last question for now—while we were waiting in line for what seemed like and pretty much was an eternity my wife and I were wondering what the requirements were for Mexican nationals entering the US for reverse day trips of the sort that we had just done into Mexico. Are they similar to those of US citizens entering Mexico or are there visa requirements? Anyways thanks again…we’ll be back.

Kell-Baja - 4-7-2008 at 11:47 AM

Great trip report. I'm glad you had such a good time.

DENNIS - 4-7-2008 at 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vetra
what the requirements were for Mexican nationals entering the US for reverse day trips of the sort that we had just done into Mexico. Are they similar to those of US citizens entering Mexico or are there visa requirements? Anyways thanks again…we’ll be back.

Mexicans going north have to have a visa obtained from the US government. There are different types but, required none the less. With what we have to go through to re-enter our country, you know the Mexicans will be treated with no less scrutiny. Not all qualify for a visa but, everybody knows that doesn't stop them. That's another story.

Hook - 4-7-2008 at 12:19 PM

I think the border wait is now a bigger deterent than the threat of violence. Man, four hours !!!!!!!!:mad:

DENNIS - 4-7-2008 at 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Man, four hours !!!!!!!!:mad:

Sunday is just a bad day at San Ysidro. Well, all days are bad but, Sunday is the worst.

Also, The safer it gets, the more will visit. Mexico says that's a good thing.
With more visitors, the waits will increase. Mexico says that's a bad thing.
What now? Oh, I know. More border crossings. Don't hold your breath for that to happen.

[Edited on 4-7-2008 by DENNIS]

bajabound2005 - 4-7-2008 at 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vetraand my wife bought a couple of knock off Prada purses from one of the vendors-again the scenery was beautiful.

Beware of those knock-offs...a friend of ours recently had hers confiscated when she crossed the border! They gave her a ziplock bag to put her belongings in. They actually took the purse!!!

you get two choices

thebajarunner - 4-7-2008 at 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabound2005
Quote:
Originally posted by vetraand my wife bought a couple of knock off Prada purses from one of the vendors-again the scenery was beautiful.

Beware of those knock-offs...a friend of ours recently had hers confiscated when she crossed the border! They gave her a ziplock bag to put her belongings in. They actually took the purse!!!

Either:

1. declare it is an original and pay the duty
2. admit it is a fake and give it up (law is clear- no fake stuff allowed to be imported.... yeah, right!!)

Hey, glad you enjoyed the trip, glad it was a positive.
I believe that I advised going up 3 and enjoying Guadalupe and a short border wait.
Wish that had registered, it would have made even a better experience.

vetra - 4-8-2008 at 11:26 AM

That was the plan--taking 3 back, but it started getting late and being in unfamiliar territory we thought it best to take the toll road back up--to be sure next time it is 3 back north!

DENNIS - 4-8-2008 at 12:19 PM

Quote:
That was the plan--taking 3 back, but it started getting late and being in unfamiliar territory we thought it best to take the toll road back up--to be sure next time it is 3 back north!

Baja is a Live and Learn experience.

ElFaro - 4-8-2008 at 12:31 PM

Quote:

One last question for now—while we were waiting in line for what seemed like and pretty much was an eternity my wife and I were wondering what the requirements were for Mexican nationals entering the US for reverse day trips of the sort that we had just done into Mexico. Are they similar to those of US citizens entering Mexico or are there visa requirements? Anyways thanks again…we’ll be back.

I think hands and feet are all they need to cross over.

What? Visa Requirements?...what Visa Requirements?...We don't need no stinking Visa Requirements !!

They simply hop the fence and proceed North :lol::lol::lol: