BajaNomad

Another Alta California Mexican food find

Hook - 4-7-2008 at 04:32 PM

People returning to SoCal from Vegas will appreciate this one.

We were returning from Vegas yesterday and spotted a sign along the fwy. for a restaurant on the outskirts of Barstow. It's called Hacienda Colima. Specialty appears to be mariscos but we ordered a gigantic tampiquena plate that had a chile relleno, two taquitos, a slab of marinated beef or chicken, a chicken enchilada sonoran style, a sope, rice and beans, tortillas AND a trip to their wonderful salad bar. 13.99 for more than two could eat............and that's saying something, if you know me. All very good food. The relleno is the style we prefer with NO BATTER ON THE OUTSIDE. Just a grilled pasilla with cheese in the middle covered with that mild sauce.

We saw one guy chowing down on Baja style langosta; it was listed as market price on the menu. Also saw a FOUR enchilada plate (about 4 different types of enchilada sauce to choose from as well as four different fillings), beans and rice and torts for 11.99. Also say a shrimp coctel in the large goblet for 11.99. Full bar and all mexican beers are in bottles.

A sign on the door says the place is affiliated with the Tacos Rigo chain.

Exit at Old Hwy 58, headed south on I-15 and stay on the road for about 3 miles and it's on the right. Great thing about this is that you are basically paralleling the I-15 so you really arent going out of your way. Just head into downtown Barstow after you're down and get back on the fwy.

BTW, old hwy 58 exit is a great way of avoiding the I-15/I-40 bottleneck when returning.

[Edited on 4-7-2008 by Hook]

DENNIS - 4-7-2008 at 05:15 PM

I was thoroughly flamed on another thread a while back for saying you get the best Mexican food in California.

Hook - 4-7-2008 at 05:34 PM

I can see that Dennis. Californians are willing to spend lots on dining and creative Mexican chefs can justify spending lots to get the finest ingredients. It's not always the most authentic but it sure can be good. And, often times, more healthy.

It's also very competitive up here.

Try finding a better shredded beef taco than at the fast food chains like Alberto's, Adalberto's, Albertacos and all the permutations of that name. Hand made crispy shell and about four ounces of shredded beef with about an inch high layer of cheese on top. Still about 1.70-1.80 everywhere. TWO are hard to finish.

DENNIS - 4-7-2008 at 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook

Try finding a better shredded beef taco than at the fast food chains like Alberto's, Adalberto's, Albertacos and all the permutations of that name.

I, long ago, worked in a very popular Mexican restaurant and their shredded beef came out of a can which came from Argentina. It was spiced up a bit and eccellent. A #10 can of shredded beef will make at least a million tacos so, they have good profit potential.

sylens - 4-7-2008 at 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
[ A #10 can of shredded beef will make at least a million tacos so, they have good profit potential.

ONE MILLION--1,000,000. NOT 999,999 or 1,000,001.
:lol:
did you count them, dennis:cool::cool:

DENNIS - 4-7-2008 at 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sylens
did you count them, dennis:cool::cool:

Yes. As I ate them. That was my pay.

sd - 4-7-2008 at 06:51 PM

Hook,

Thanks and I will give them a try soon.

www.mariscoscolima1.com

Webite says their other restaurant in North Hollywood has been open over 8 years. Full menu is listed and it looks great. Abalone c-cktail for $10.99!

should not flame over that!! truth.

capt. mike - 4-8-2008 at 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
I was thoroughly flamed on another thread a while back for saying you get the best Mexican food in California.

because 1/2 of mexico has moved to california!:lol::lol::lol:

actually the best mexican food is in southern Arizona.:light:

Taco de Baja - 4-8-2008 at 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Could be right (I agree-- not California), though my vote would be New Mexico. Hard to beat Hatch chiles.

--Larry

Aren't Hatch Chilies more commonly known as the Anaheim Chilie?.... Because they were originally grown in Anaheim, CALIFORNIA...

;)

Bajalover - 4-8-2008 at 07:49 AM

Hook, great find :spingrin::spingrin:. Shall check it out on my way to Tecopa from Borrego Springs next week. Look forward to eating some good Mariscos or that Gigantic Plate they offer. Guess after that :light:I'll have to stop at Peggy Sue's for a nap.

DENNIS - 4-8-2008 at 08:00 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Could be right (I agree-- not California), though my vote would be New Mexico. Hard to beat Hatch chiles.

Nope!!! Uh uh!!! Sorry!!! Ni Modo!!! Absurd!!! Racist!!! Xenophobic!!! Tasteless!!! Blind!!! Deaf!!! Dum!!!!!!
California has, by far, the best Mexican cooking north of the Rio Grande. All polls, surveys and educated palates agree on this. I won't cite references at this time as I'm very very busy but, just accept it as fact.

DENNIS - 4-8-2008 at 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajalover
Guess after that :light:I'll have to stop at Peggy Sue's for a nap.

Not sure what/where that is but, it sounds like fun.

Bajalover - 4-8-2008 at 08:17 AM

Dennis, it's a 50's style diner off I 15 with a hugh open parking lot. The Coors Can (Airstream Trailer) and I can rest there w/o being disturbed. OH - Peggy Sue's Diner has captured almost every Coca Cola item ever made. Crazy place.

Hook - 4-8-2008 at 09:03 AM

We ate at Peggy Sue's once. Burger combo was pretty average and actually quite small. But the place is interesting to look through.

The whole AZ-NM-COLO "mexican" food scene is a very different animal. Many places feature what they call "green chile" which is a concoction of anaheim/ortega/Hatch chiles simmered in chicken broth and shredded pork. Does not involve tomatillos as in mexican chile verde that you find in Ca and Mexico. This version of "green chile" they ladle on anything and everything, especially burritos where you are met with incredulous looks when you order a burrito dry. But also on enchiladas and they even order a la carte bowls of the stuff as dip, filling tortillas, whatever......

Being steeped in "authentic" mexican cooking, it's taken me awhile to accept this concoction but it really is good. A dollop of sour cream, some tortillas and/or chips and a bowl is a delicious meal.

Of course I continue to fight with my in-laws from COLO that it is NOT authentic mexican. They disagree, even when I point out that I have never seen it anywhere south of the border.

Fred - 4-9-2008 at 01:08 PM

The best thing about Peggy Sue's is the ARCO station accross the street. Cheapest gas in Bastow.

tripledigitken - 4-9-2008 at 02:09 PM

Hook,

I agree about NM Chile Verde. It's delicious, but different than the mexican preparation.

I do love the way the New Mexican's cook. Blue corn tortillas, enchiladas like in Sonora...........flat stacked up 4 tortillas high then topped off with a sunnyside up fried egg.:yes:

Pozole with lamb. Sopapillas with honey. Stuffed squash blossoms. Even the tamales I've had in some of the pueblos are different but delicious.

Ken

Taco de Baja - 4-9-2008 at 03:32 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Taco de Baja
Aren't Hatch Chilies more commonly known as the Anaheim Chilie?.... Because they were originally grown in Anaheim, CALIFORNIA...
You're serious? I haven't a clue as to their origin, always assumed they were local to New Mexico. What's your source on this?

--Larry

I was just funnin’ a little...."Green Chilies", "Anaheims", "Ortegas", and "New Mexican" are essentially the same chili. But nothing peees a New Mexican off like calling a Green Chili an “Anaheim”. Kind of like telling a Texan his salsa is made in New York City....

However, technically a real "Hatch" chili must come from a specific growing region in New Mexico. Just like "Champagne", "Port", "Bordeaux"

Bajalover - 4-17-2008 at 08:58 AM

Hook, Great restaurant. Thanks for putting Hacienda Colima on the map. Ate there last night and it was terrific. Had their scallops, shrimp, and octopus in garlic chili sauce with rice, steamed veggies, and fries. All went down very smoothly with a maggie on the rocks. Will stop there again.:bounce::bounce::spingrin:
Yes, after that it was off to Peggy Sue's Diner to use their parking lot to spend the night in my tin can. Had a Good after the meal - very large serving.

Hook - 4-17-2008 at 10:26 AM

Glad you liked it. We've got to try their mariscos next time but, returning from all the good restaurants in Vegas, we were craving a good Mexican meal.

Did you ask how much the lobster was? Just curious.