BajaNomad

New toy for my Jeep!

Ken Cooke - 4-12-2008 at 06:23 PM

I ordered this new toy today! Once its in use, traveling in Baja will be so much more fun!! :bounce:

Viair X'treme Duty Onboard Air System

Sorry, I just get excited about this sort of thing...

[Edited on 4-13-2008 by Ken Cooke]

Lauriboats - 4-12-2008 at 06:30 PM

Sorry Ken, this doesn't do a thing for me. Will this make the bumps smoother?

DENNIS - 4-12-2008 at 06:37 PM

Will it make the beer colder?

Ken Cooke - 4-12-2008 at 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lauriboats
Sorry Ken, this doesn't do a thing for me. Will this make the bumps smoother?

Sure will. After airing the tires down to 15 p.s.i., and disconnecting the front swaybar, roads like this one will smooth way out. After arriving at Laguna Chapala, I'll just pop open the hood, air up the tires in right about 10 minutes, and be ready for Hwy 1.

If someone gets a flat tire, pull out the air tools, and have everything changed in record time! [see below]

bajalou - 4-12-2008 at 06:49 PM

Those compressors look like the one I carry, Ken. But why 2?

Ken Cooke - 4-12-2008 at 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalou

For 100% continuous duty, keeping the air tank filled, and providing a continuous flow of air to the tank. This kit is intended for guys running 37" tires, running air tools, doing back country tire repair work, etc.

standingwave - 4-12-2008 at 08:11 PM

nice tool!!!:wow:

Diver - 4-12-2008 at 08:24 PM

I wonder how many framing or roofing guns you could run off that thing ?? :biggrin:
Just pull your Jeep up to my jobsite !! :lol:

Diver - 4-12-2008 at 08:25 PM

Now if you could only air up and down from inside the cab while at speed !

Ken Cooke - 4-12-2008 at 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diver
I wonder how many framing or roofing guns you could run off that thing ?? :biggrin:

I've got to do some work here at the house, so, that wouldn't be a bad idea. Just buy a stolen roofing gun on Propertyroom.com and get it done. :bounce:

Diver - 4-12-2008 at 09:51 PM

Seriously though, I was curious about the cfm rating for the pumps as I have a smaller single in my truck. I couldn't find it listed on the site I checked. Any idea about cfm for 1 pump ?

Ken Cooke - 4-12-2008 at 10:13 PM

Quote:
Seriously though, I was curious about the cfm rating for the pumps as I have a smaller single in my truck. I couldn't find it listed on the site I checked. Any idea about cfm for 1 pump ?

100% Duty Cycle, 2.68 CFM :bounce: OH YEAH!! :bounce:

VIAIR’s new X'treme Duty Onboard Air Systems (100% Duty Cycle, 2.68 CFM) make locating and installing all of the parts needed to make installing an onboard air system simple and efficient by including everything you need in one box. With dual compressors, the refresh rate of the tank is lightning fast and enough flow is available to run air tools on demand. X'treme Duty Onboard Air Systems come with added value tools such as a tire inflation gun, a 200 PSI inline pressure regulator (for air lockers) and a versatile blow gun. Air up tires on the trail with ease or perform roadside repairs yourself using air tools. Comes with a 2-gallon (six-port) air tank, pneumatic fittings, pressure switch, electrical relays and parts, wiring, dash panel monitor, all required hardware and detailed instructions for a flawless install.
(For vehicles with up to 37-inch tires)

Gadget - 4-13-2008 at 11:04 AM

Cool tool. I love tools, hence the "handle". I use a CO2 tank, and other than refilling it, I haven't found any draw backs. We've picked up a sponsorship from Airgas now so refills are free, just gotta go do it. I guess I could run it empty, but haven't yet.

Sure is alot of pieces parts on the Viair. If I may suggest:
Rubber insulator mount the compressors
Tephlon tape all air connections
Thread lock all other connections
The wash boards will wreck havok, so plan ahead

You still out of the country? Are you considering La Turquesa?

Roberto - 4-13-2008 at 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke

Is that free-flow or at pressure?

Ken Cooke - 4-13-2008 at 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Roberto
Quote:

Is that free-flow or at pressure?

No se. I'll look at the spec sheet & let you know. This unit is intended to inflate 37" tires w/o breaking a sweat. My puny 33s will inflate faster than bumming air off of my friends - that along w/ powering air tools, airing up camping mattresses, mounting tires, repairing flats in the field are my biggest uses for this system.

Ken Cooke - 4-13-2008 at 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gadget
Are you considering La Turquesa?

I don't have the time off from work. That and GOA GIL from India will be hosting a TIJUANA TRANCE PARTY that same weekend. I talked Chris Glass into going, and we're all pumped up to see this guy spin HARD, PSYCHADELIC TRANCE outdoors for 24 HOURS STRAIGHT.

Gadget - 4-13-2008 at 02:18 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Gadget
Are you considering La Turquesa?

I don't have the time off from work. That and GOA GIL from India will be hosting a TIJUANA TRANCE PARTY that same weekend. I talked Chris Glass into going, and we're all pumped up to see this guy spin HARD, PSYCHADELIC TRANCE outdoors for 24 HOURS STRAIGHT.

HUH :?::?::?::?:

Ken Cooke - 4-13-2008 at 04:34 PM

Saturday May 3rd is when this event is being held. Chris Glass and myself will be there instead of further south trying to connect Hwy 1 with La Turquesa.

Roberto - 4-13-2008 at 04:45 PM

Ken, I could be wrong, but I don't think Gadget was asking about the dates.

I must say, you are an interesting person. The rock crawling, the love of toys for your Jeep, your travels to Baja and points south, it call kind of fits ... right until you came up with

Quote:

I talked Chris Glass into going, and we're all pumped up to see this guy spin HARD, PSYCHADELIC TRANCE outdoors for 24 HOURS STRAIGHT.

By the way, the word is spelled psychedelic. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Have you ever looked at the Extreme Outback products?

Ken Cooke - 4-13-2008 at 04:54 PM

Extreme Outback products? Hmmm. Not sure.

Before Jeeping, I used to DJ. After getting tired of staying up late at night, and as imported music became a drain on my budget, I got into 4 wheeling. My buddy Chris Glass used to play in a live Trance band in LA, so when we get together, our Zune players swap files like its nothin. :bounce:

David K - 4-13-2008 at 05:06 PM

May 3 is ALSO the date for Keri's 6th annual Pyramid Resort Baja Book Book Signing...

Ken Cooke - 4-13-2008 at 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
May 3 is ALSO the date for Keri's 6th annual Pyramid Resort Baja Book Book Signing...

That's a popular date for so many events.

Pyramid Resort

Goa Gil

La Turquesa

[Edited on 4-14-2008 by Ken Cooke]

David K - 4-13-2008 at 05:13 PM

Decisions, decisions.. huh Ken?:?::light::cool:

Ken Cooke - 4-13-2008 at 05:13 PM

C'mon, David. I bet you'd have a great time dancing to Goa Gil's Trance music under the stars for 24 hours in Tijuana!!

Roberto - 4-13-2008 at 06:02 PM

Quote:
Extreme Outback products? Hmmm. Not sure.

www.extremeoutback.com Check them out!

XRPhlang - 4-13-2008 at 09:03 PM

Dang! Can't you convince the Goa to make it down to Turquesa.
More stars than TJ.

Ken Cooke - 4-13-2008 at 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by XRPhlang
Dang! Can't you convince the Goa to make it down to Turquesa.
More stars than TJ.

That would be the coolest. We could invite Coco to attend!

New toy for my Jeep!

The squarecircle - 4-13-2008 at 09:21 PM

Quote:
Saturday May 3rd is when this event is being held. Chris Glass and myself will be there instead of further south trying to connect Hwy 1 with La Turquesa.

Hola Ken, >>>> We all have our priorities, Ken. Whatever toots your whistle! >>>> sq.

Ken Cooke - 4-13-2008 at 09:24 PM

Honestly, I can't take 2 days off from work. Not with student testing which takes place right around that time.

Ken Cooke - 4-13-2008 at 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by The squarecircle

Hola Ken, >>>> We all have our priorities, Ken. Whatever toots your whistle! >>>> sq.

Hey, weren't you and TW going to meet up with us in November??? Now that I think of it, we were supposed to take care of this right around Thanksgiving when I had 7 or 8 spare hands wanting to do some free labor.

DonBaja - 4-21-2008 at 05:16 PM

Onboard air is nice to have. I'm the only one in the group I run with that has it. From 7 psi to 25 psi in less than 2 min. for 35's per tire. :yes: But my OBA is not quite as nice. I have a AC compressor plumbed to a 5 gallon tank under the bronco. It works great for everything!!! only downside is I need to add oil to the compressor to keep it lubricated.

It seems to keep my beer just a bit colder than everyone elses :wow:

fishbuck - 4-21-2008 at 05:28 PM

So this guy is going into a 24 hour trance?

TonyC - 4-21-2008 at 06:05 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by bajalou

For 100% continuous duty, keeping the air tank filled, and providing a continuous flow of air to the tank. This kit is intended for guys running 37" tires, running air tools, doing back country tire repair work, etc.

Ken, I was in a restaurant when a guy blew his horn hooked up to a compressor. I almost stabbed myself in the eye with my fork....I was peeed, and wasn't the only one in the restaurant. My brother thought it was hysterical...it was a train horn. I think he's going to put one in his truck....I hope he gets a ticket.

Ken Cooke - 4-21-2008 at 07:09 PM

Tony,
My next door neighbor has an air horn hooked up to his F350. I get to hear it every couple of weeks, so I know the feeling.

Diver - 4-21-2008 at 08:50 PM

Have you seen the Warn Ultimate compressor ? 8 cfm at 90psi !!!
One of these would be all you need but they cost over $700 !!

Ken Cooke - 4-21-2008 at 10:04 PM

Quote:
Have you seen the Warn Ultimate compressor ? 8 cfm at 90psi !!!
One of these would be all you need but they cost over $700 !!

I saw the Warn equipment, and it looks great, but $700? :?:

I only wanted a simple setup to air up the tires, clean out the Jeep with compressed air, and run air tools on demand.

Iflyfish - 4-22-2008 at 08:44 AM

What are you going to fill the compressor with at the Human Be In. Love your toys and hope you are the buy who stops when I get a flat. I too really appreciate the diversity of your posts.

Iflyfish

Gadget - 4-22-2008 at 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Roberto
Ken, I could be wrong, but I don't think Gadget was asking about the dates.

I must say, you are an interesting person. The rock crawling, the love of toys for your Jeep, your travels to Baja and points south, it call kind of fits ... right until you came up with

Quote:

I talked Chris Glass into going, and we're all pumped up to see this guy spin HARD, PSYCHADELIC TRANCE outdoors for 24 HOURS STRAIGHT.

By the way, the word is spelled psychedelic. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Have you ever looked at the Extreme Outback products?

Yes I too enjoy the diversity of Kens posts. I look forward to meeting him one day.

I also used to be a Deadhead. Followed them all over at concert and spent many a day "tripping". :bounce: There wasn't any thing, drug, or idea that I wasn't open to in those days. :o

Some may call my faith in Jesus a close minded attitude now, but I truely believe that it was the ultimate end of my spiritual search. :saint: The "Calvary" movement was majorly populated by Hippies in the 60s who came to the same end of their search. I was just born a decade later.

Rock on Ken, its all good!!!

Ken Cooke - 4-22-2008 at 05:34 PM

This Saturday, Coachella to see Kraftwerk.

Next Friday, to TIJUANA to hear the sounds of Goa Gil!

Astral Projection from Tel Aviv, Isreal plan to return to Tijuana and possibly Mexicali soon, but this portion of their tour has been postponed. :?: I'll post here, so everyone knows when the next PsyTrance event takes place in Baja!

[Edited on 4-23-2008 by Ken Cooke]

Gadget - 4-23-2008 at 12:35 PM

I'm still a little confused. If you're in a "trance" how do you know anything is happening? :O

David K - 4-23-2008 at 06:41 PM

Gadget... have you met Ken???:lol::O:light:

fishbuck - 4-23-2008 at 07:30 PM

I need to get a jeep and hang out with Ken!:cool:

Roberto - 4-23-2008 at 08:04 PM

Like I said ... you are quite an interesting person, Ken. :wow:

Ken Cooke - 5-11-2008 at 09:24 PM

Installed!

AEM DryCharger synthetic element air filter :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Mike did the electrical work and I assisted in the installation work.

[Edited on 5-12-2008 by Ken Cooke]

Ken Cooke - 5-11-2008 at 09:28 PM

Installed, and ready to use. I have to mount the rear seat so Mike & I will know where the air tank can be hard mounted. Everything works likes a dream. The interior of the Jeep rumbles along with the dual compressors, and this gear airs tires up *fast*.

[Edited on 5-12-2008 by Ken Cooke]

Sharksbaja - 5-11-2008 at 11:41 PM

Goog goin' Ken. That's quite a setup. Will stay nice and tidy there. Are you gonna "box" it in? Just line it with a good insulation and put rubber pads between the compressors and the body and it will make a huge difference in sound and vibration.

TonyC - 5-12-2008 at 06:48 AM

The name is Bond.....Ken Bond 007. Cool toys Ken.

Bob and Susan - 5-12-2008 at 06:53 AM

music...
http://midis.jamesbond-online.com/james-bond-theme.mid

David K - 5-12-2008 at 07:52 AM

Ken, where do you put any camping gear with that thing taking up so much room? I think you need a Liberty or a Commander! If only Jeep made the Gladiator concept truck!!

Ken Cooke - 5-12-2008 at 08:24 PM

Quote:
Ken, where do you put any camping gear with that thing taking up so much room? I think you need a Liberty or a Commander! If only Jeep made the Gladiator concept truck!!
I have practically zero space for camping gear now. The rear seat is going back in the Jeep, I'm selling the rack and turning the 2 seater Jeep back into a 4 seater - this is my daily-driver as you all know.

I will be installing my 360w amp soon, and mounting a subwoofer inside of the rear seat since there is no space for the 10"speaker w/box. This should improve the sound nicely.

There are rubber feet mounted to the base of the compressors, but they do very little to dissipate the vibration. As for heat, I will just open up the back of the Jeep for airflow if needed. This system works very fast, so unless I am airing up additional vehicles, this won't be an issue.

David K - 5-13-2008 at 10:55 AM

So now you are a portable, four wheel drive compressed air service...:rolleyes:

Can you put enough gear, ice chest, etc. on the new back seat... ? I guess so, because otherwise it would be useless for camping trips!

Of course, if you go camping with us, the beauty of a 4WD pickup bed comes into play and you can toss your gear in it! Of course you can refill my tires when we leave Shell Island!:spingrin:

Ken Cooke - 5-13-2008 at 06:47 PM

Quote:
Can you put enough gear, ice chest, etc. on the new back seat... ?

Of course you can refill my tires when we leave Shell Island!:spingrin:

Hey, I'm glad to finally have a great air system in my Jeep. I've needed this setup for the past 5 years. Space isn't a problem with the options out there for Jeeps and pickups nowadays. I wouldn't drive a swb pickup like my old Ford Ranger if you payed me.

My off road rack has provisions for 2 cans holding 5 gal. each.
Above is the ice chest holder. It fits the Coleman Extreme nicely, although, I am looking into the ARB Freezer/Fridge and trashing the ice chest.

With all of these new modifications, I've never been happier!

[Edited on 5-14-2008 by Ken Cooke]

David K - 5-13-2008 at 09:23 PM

You look happy! Great avatar!!

Ken Cooke - 5-13-2008 at 09:36 PM

Quote:
You look happy! Great avatar!!

I'd be happier with a tricked out JK Unlimited Rubicon and no monthly payments, but at least I have on-board air now..LOL

Sharksbaja - 5-13-2008 at 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja
Goog goin' Ken. That's quite a setup. Will stay nice and tidy there. Are you gonna "box" it in? Just line it with a good insulation and put rubber pads between the compressors and the body and it will make a huge difference in sound and vibration.

Not forgetting the need for heat dissipation, of course... :)

--Larry

OOOPS!:lol:

Good point Larry. Ok, drill holes pointed away from your direction OR a 3 in tube in&out and put a small thermostaically controlled fan in there.

Ken Cooke - 5-14-2008 at 06:05 AM

In less than 15 min., you have all of the tires aired up. Its not like with the guys with the lesser-duty compressors who are trying to air up their tires. With everything working in tandem, heat really isn't a big problem.