BajaNomad

To the Pub!

fishbuck - 4-17-2008 at 01:43 AM

I went to Bajadock's Pub after I dropped some bikes at Bajamigo and Bajabound 2005's house.
It's a very cool drive and all uphill.
I wasn't sure where his house was but I had seen the pictures and drove through his neighborhood until I found the pub.
Th "Pub open" sign was up so I climbed his stairs and gave a yell.
He was expecting me because news travels fast at Punta Banda.He got an email from down the hill.
Doc invited me in and showed me his cool house and I was blown away by the veiw. We went onto his deck and the veiw was awesome. Like flying a plane we were so high up.
What a great guy with a great story. And he is into this (bikes) charity also. I found out about the golf tourney. It sounded great and I don't golf but if they do it again I'm going.
We chatted in the sunshine on the deck and I just did not want to leave.
I like Doc and will definitly have a drink with him in Ensenada next time I'm there.
Great fun so far on Punta Banda. But wait there's more... There was one person who I just could not miss while I was out there on the point. I just had to meet... DENNIS!!!

bajajudy - 4-17-2008 at 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by fishbuck

Great fun so far on Punta Banda. But wait there's more... There was one person who I just could not miss while I was out there on the point. I just had to meet... DENNIS!!!

AND AND.........................

durrelllrobert - 4-17-2008 at 07:44 AM

Quote:
But wait there's more... There was one person who I just could not miss while I was out there on the point. I just had to meet... DENNIS!!!

AND..... witness Sharky's first hand:cool::cool::cool:

fishbuck - 4-17-2008 at 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
Quote:
But wait there's more... There was one person who I just could not miss while I was out there on the point. I just had to meet... DENNIS!!!

AND..... witness Sharky's first hand:cool::cool::cool:

Durrellrobert got that one right
! I did stop by Dennis's house 1st and he lives in a nice place.
But he wasn't there so I rolled on down the hill and was pretty certain I would find his truck parked at Sharky's.
Sharky's is a nice little bar near the shore of Estero Beach. I strolled in and said I was looking for a guy who was known to occupy a certain bar stool on a mostly daily basis at the little bar.
"Who's looking for him?" Came a bit of a stern reply from the corner.
"Fishbuck from BajaNomad" was my reply. A broad smile formed on the face of a gentleman an a space was made for me and a beer in front of me.
I immediately felt welcomed. DENNIS and I got to know each other over a beer and exchanged many good laughs. Alot of which were about some of the people on the board and the posts. We both agreed that the forum was great source of entertainment. We weren't bashing just enjoying the colorful and diverse nature of the Nomads. Okay we bashed a few but only because we love you.
Anyway, DENNIS is great company
and durellrobert joined us too and we had great fun. One beer could easily have turned into an afternoons worth at Sharky's. And next time it will!
I enjoyed it and there was even a few cute local girls in there the in case DENNIS and I needed a break from all the joking around we were doing.
But I still needed to drive about 4 hours to my fishcamp at San Quintin.
So it was time to pry myself loose once more and continue my trip.
There are many fine people living up on the point and it's a beautiful place. It will be very difficult to pass by the La Bufadora sign and not make a turn to go spend time with my new friends.
Thanks for all the smiles
:yes:

[Edited on 4-17-2008 by fishbuck]

DENNIS - 4-17-2008 at 10:49 AM

Thanks, Mike....It was fun. Next time, it's a box of beer.

bajadock - 4-17-2008 at 07:13 PM

...and Fishbuck is one of the few who now knows the secret of the bells . "Buck" is a fun guy with great attitude, so he fits in well with other Ensenada nomads. (I'm just an observer on the bicycle gig, as Grover, BB05/BA, HoseA, BajaCat and others are doing the heavy lifting).

bajabound2005 - 4-17-2008 at 07:26 PM

Fishbuck!!! You must get your geography straight! Sharkey's is NEAR the turn off to PUNTO ESTERO and a long stretch from Estero Beach. So let's make it easy, Sharkey's (and I DO believe that's the correct spelling, but please correct me if I'm wrong) it located right smack in the middle of Cantu....somewhere between Maneadero and La Bufadora and you can't possibly miss it.

DENNIS - 4-17-2008 at 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabound2005
Sharkey's (and I DO believe that's the correct spelling, but please correct me if I'm wrong)

1 E 2 many.

fishbuck - 4-18-2008 at 01:12 PM

I've been back from my little trip for a few days now. I must admit I've been a bit worthless at work too! My mind is still in baja.
I'm like the Martin Sheen character in "Apocalypse Now". At the beginning of the movie he's just back from a mission in the field. He's back on the base and can't function after living on the edge.
That's been me these past few days. I go native real quick now when I go down and don't convert back to "The OC" very well. I can't take this place seriously anymore!
After I left DENNIS, I stopped in Maneadero at Tacos Las Poblanos. The last red and white taco joint on the way outta town. Always good and quick and $1 each.
It was a perfect day and I had no real schedule so it was one of the best drives I've had.
No need to break the sound barrier to get some where. Just sorta ambled down passing only the sick and wounded cars that pop up ocassionaly. All others welcome to pass me at the most dangerous spots as they liked. No problema!
I stopped in one little town, San Vincete I think. It was a warm day so I needed a six pack for the rest of the drive.
I saw the first of the marvels for that leg of the trip. An amazing RV called a Revcon.
More like a military camper. A 4x6 F-350 with a huge camper on it. It was very cool! I looked them up on the internet and they cost about $125,000 or more.
I guess my little F-150 will need to last a little longer.
More later...

[Edited on 4-18-2008 by fishbuck]

fishbuck - 4-18-2008 at 11:11 PM

I continued on down the highway and got to S. Quintin at around 5. I stopped for another sixer(the others were warm) and headed out to the fish camp after lowering my tires to 20psi.
The speed limit near town is 25mph and it's a bit of a speed trap near the miltary when you turn onto the dirt.
But after a few miles I like to hit about 50mph to smooth out the washboard.
There is a small Ejido that I pass and I slow there for the locals. Also, I sometimes pass a lady on horseback with a herd of about 40 or so cows. She looks indian and not at all like a Vaquero. But I slow so as not to spook the cows. She waved to me so maybe she recognizes me now. I'll have to stop and try and talk to her.
I got to Pedregal and said Hi to my friend John who has a beautiful 2-story house near my fishcamp.
It was such a perfect day with no wind and about 75-80. I stayed at my camp until about 9pm and it was heavenly. Even the warm beers were delicious!
I headed back to town to the Valle De San Quintin and my friend Ricardo.
The restuarant at the hotel was closed early but I spied a taco stand across the street and darted over. $1 each and delicious. A long and excellent day needed to end and I was plenty tire and fell asleep thinking of the great day I had just had and the new friends I had made. Could it get any better?
Only the first rays of the next mornings sun might offer a clue.
Next, can a 2-wheel drive F-150 drive around San Quintin bay at low tide? Is anyone dumb enough to try....?

[Edited on 4-19-2008 by fishbuck]

fishbuck - 4-19-2008 at 12:57 PM

Up early and down to the restuarant for a delicious breakfest at the hotel. Ricardo sits at my table and we talk for over an hour.(San Quintin needs a movie theater!)
In the truck and head south. I'm intending to tour the other side of the bay that I can see from my fishcamp.
I pick a road off the highway that looks about right and cut in. Soon I'm in a swampy wasteland strewn with trash. Evidence of recent muddiness is still carved into the road.
But my guess is right on and soon I'm at the Old English Cemetery. Or as the locals know it, the cemetary.
It's still clearly in use. There is a large walled in shrine with a statue there too. I assume that is the original cemetary site for the English. It's well maintained and some guys were there watering plants.
There was a tribe of indians huddling in the shade of one of the shrine walls. I think they live there. In the cemetary!
Maybe the men do the digging and the live there and wait for someone to die so the can get work. Strange.
Anyway I had enough cemetary and continued along the shore of the bay. I was able to make my way no problem until I hit a sand dune. There the road went right into the bay to a panga launch. I drove down and found I could drive on the low tide sand.
I continued on towards a house about a mile or so away. Right next to the old pier motel. My only concern was if there was a way out by the motel. A boat ramp maybe?
I went about half a mile with no problem but I did hit a couple of soft spots and decided to back out in my same tracks and find a better,drier way.
Back onto the big sand dune. No way my truck can get over it. Find a road and now I'm following a fence line around wheat fields. I make my way on some very sanding and scary double track roads. Don't stop whatever you do!
I get to the houses and the motel and stop at the motel driveway. It's roped-off and I get out to look inside...
More later! :yes:

[Edited on 4-19-2008 by fishbuck]

bajabound2005 - 4-20-2008 at 05:36 PM

the suspense is killing me...

DENNIS - 4-20-2008 at 06:00 PM

Good writing, Fish....... I feel like a passenger in your truck. Next chapter...please.

Bajaboy - 4-20-2008 at 06:02 PM

Hey Buck-

Put the cerveza down and start typing.

Zac

fishbuck - 4-21-2008 at 01:00 PM

Okay I'm back!
So I survived some really sketchy driving and am now at the Old Pier driveway.
I'm standing by the rope gate and looking at what appears to be a ghost fishing motel. It's fully planted with mature trees so I'm guessing it was built in the 50/60's. Old school 10-15 room motel on a bluff overlooking the bay. Totally deserted. Seen better days but I can imagine that those days were very good indeed.
I'm trying to figure out if I can walk around and look at it. Just then, a truck bounces up behind me and asks if I need help. I think it's an old gringo but I ask if he speaks english just to make sure.
He does and he's the neighbor of the motel and I can come over to his place to here about it.
Not counting the indians living at the cemetary, I have just meet my first neighbor outside of Pedragal.
I drive next door and help him wih his groceries and we go in for a beer. A good old Budwiser. We talk for over an hour and he's been the 15 or so years. Built his house from scratch up
on the bluff. I'm in awe. This guy knows soo much. I can see this will also take many more beers and a whole afternoon if not many.
He suggests that I walk down to his beach and look at the Old Pier from that side. I do and it's a great low tide beach stretching for a 1/4 mile. All hardpack filled with small clams. It goes for miles.
I walk down to the Old Pier and someone in the past has spent alot of time and effort to improve it. There is a great set of concrete stairs leading up. The look white and recent and this is what I can clearly see from my fishcamp when I look across.
I climb the mighty stairs and see the Old Mill from the beach side. What a day it had when it had it's day. I can hear the fiesta music and laughter.
I guess the new owner is refurbing the place to open it back up. It will be humble but nice and probably the best view in Bahia San Quintin. Hey you can see me from there right! For sure nicer than the old mill for it's remoteness. It might be open in a year, 10 or never, who can say.
I retrieve my truck from my new friends and I now know I was right about backing up while still on the bay beach. There was no way out at the Old Pier.
I see more houses in the distance and start making my way toward the old mill where I hope to meet some local panga captains and hear about fishing.
More later...

[Edited on 4-21-2008 by fishbuck]

bajajudy - 4-21-2008 at 01:14 PM

WOW
The old pier used to have the absolute best lobster in all of Baja. We stayed there many times just for that. The rooms were, shall we say, rustic but the views were spectacular. The family that owned it or ran it were getting old. Mama, in particular, was in bad health. They had signs everywhere...no mascotas but never said a word about our two mutts. We tried camping there once....WINDY and COLD(yes I am screaming)....once was enough.
Please keep us posted on the progress of the new place.
Have you done any exploring around the old volcanoes? Pretty interesting!

fishbuck - 4-21-2008 at 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajajudy
WOW
The old pier used to have the absolute best lobster in all of Baja. We stayed there many times just for that. The rooms were, shall we say, rustic but the views were spectacular. The family that owned it or ran it were getting old. Mama, in particular, was in bad health. They had signs everywhere...no mascotas but never said a word about our two mutts. We tried camping there once....WINDY and COLD(yes I am screaming)....once was enough.
Please keep us posted on the progress of the new place.
Have you done any exploring around the old volcanoes? Pretty interesting!

I intend to take a few history lessons about the place and hope to meet the new owner. Looks like a great place to hangout. If I can figure out how to get across it will be fun.
Ya, I haven't camped yet. The weather needs to be right and last weekend it was near perfect.
I'll try it next trip.

[Edited on 4-21-2008 by fishbuck]

fishbuck - 4-21-2008 at 04:54 PM

The road gets better past the Old Pier. I saw more tractors I can't have on the way to the Old Mill. Los Pinos had some big ones on a plot that goes right to the waters edge. Looks like more wheat but I'm no farmer. They work all the little patches here and there around the bay. But they don't hire out. Those Los Pinos guys are rico for sure.
Passed the tractors the is a couple more houses and I stop and dogs sound the alarm. I'm on a road end that drops right to the bay. One house on each side. One is clearly empty but the other is full of life and a nice lady comes out to greet me. She chats with me for a good twenty minutes or so and I have now meet my second and also quite knowledgable neighbor. Very nice lady who lives there with her husband and grandkids. She has an accent but looks white. Who knows?
The other house is empty. The owner died and the estate was sold and the new guy died before moving in. Wow, talk about bad luck! So the place is in limbo but it's a nice little waterfront house with a huge lot.
The original owner paid $14000 to run the power out the from the Old Mill road but thieves have since stolen all the copper wire. So no power.
Back in the truck and closer to the Old Mill and maybe a cold beer.
I pass another campo on the water but this one is faily well fenced and the gate says something like don't enter without permission and a phone number. Maybe next time. I've been curious about the place because I can see that they have a huge retaining wall on the water side. What's going on in there?
I go a little ways farther and I have the Old Mill in sight. I see some guys building a new house near the road. They look busy so I drive down a little two track road that heads toward the bay. I get to the end and I'm about to drive into the bay again. It's marshy looking here and a small jeep trail skirts the edge and heads towards the mill.
Old Green ( my truck ) is sending me " don't go there dummy " telepathy so I pause for a moment and enjoy the beautiful vista. Old Green wins and I'm about to back out again when I see an old Ford 4x4 coming my way. He pulls up next to me and says " you need any help?"
What's with all this help offering? Do I really look that stupid.
I think he was trying to prevent having to pull me out of the marsh later. Mexicans are smart like that. Maybe it's standard gringo to get stuck in there.
He says he's working at the house and come back and they will talk to me. I meet Scott who's house it is and Carlos.
Turn's out Carlos is the owner of the Old Mill and probably the land I was just exploring. I chat with them and they are very cool. Carlos is a little different that most I meet. He's a young go getter type local and pretty serious too. It might take some time to make friends with him. But Scott is plenty friendly. An old gringo who lived at the Old Mill and now is building a house on Carlos's land with a lease.
They are heading to town so I continue on to the Mill on the main road.
Lots going on over there I tell you. Developement is beginning and lots are for lease. The runway at Don Eddies looks very good and well fenced and maintained. Watch out for the powerlines at the approach end. Well marked with orange balls.
All for now...

[Edited on 4-22-2008 by fishbuck]

fishbuck - 4-22-2008 at 01:30 AM

No cold beer?

I continue towards the mill. There are several boat yards along the road. Literal yards with boats parked in them. Fences separate each yard and most have a house or trailer in the back. Each has about four boats. Pangas and small crusiers. No shortage of boats.
No one is visible as I drive by except at Tiburon's Pangas. I walk over and it's the typical gathering of locals under a palapa. I met Genaro Flores Avin'a. I guess he's the owner. Young guy, speaks good english. I look at his boats and he has two excellent super pangas. 26 footers. 1 with a 200 merc and the other 150.
I've never heard of this guy but my gut says yes. We talk price and he offers to fish with me himself. Nothing but bottom fish but coolers full if you want.
I'm waiting for the White Sea Bass bite. He heads back to his crew and I go search for beer.
I go to the little tienda by the ramp. He's got hats, shirts etc but no beer. Why does he have a beer sign?
I go into the bar and prepare to pay $3-4 for a beer but no one is around. How Curious! I look around and decide no one cares so back to the truck.
Mission acomplished I drive back towards town where I know they have plenty of cold beer. I'm speeding along and see a sign for Jardines! Hard brakes and fishtail the dirt turn. I'm surrounded by farm fields but I can see a palm oasis ahead.
Wow, so many palms and other plants. I see it. The new reasturant! I turn in but there are no cars. I see some workers in front and get out.
Guillermo meets me and says the restuarant is closed on monday. Bummer!
He gives me a little tour and shows me the plants and then the hotel.
I have now found my new hotel. That's all I will say about the place.
But no beer.
Back in the truck and haul into town.
Soo thirsty...

[Edited on 4-23-2008 by fishbuck]

vandenberg - 4-22-2008 at 07:38 AM

Fishbuck,

Love your writing style. Keep it up.

fishbuck - 4-23-2008 at 01:13 AM

To the beer!

I bounce my way to the highway and head to town. Be very careful in San Quintin area. Traffic is crazy.
I see another sign I was looking for. Motocross San Quintin. It's been there for a few years so I head back into the dirt and find Rancho Avin'a, where the track is. I can see it from the road but can't get to it. It's deep in the ranch. I just wanted a quick look but now I had to go to the house and ask.
Will I ever get a cold beer today?
I park the truck and start up the driveway and I see a rancher walking two big horses my way. I walk up and say hi and point to the track. He speaks no english and his spanish is rapid fire. I'm lost.
I resort to signing like a cowboy talking to an indian in the movies. He gets it and I think he says it's 2 bucks to ride there. He's very friendly and patient for a guy holding onto horses. I say gracias and head for beer.
I head toward the road to my camp and stop at a little tienda on the way. There must be 1000 little stores around there. I get a cold sixer of tecate and head for a taco stand.
My first bad taco stand too. It's near the military base and next to a little motel. The motel has a bar upstairs.
The vibe wasn't right and the tacos were skimpy. I still wolfed two down while simultaniously drinking a beer. Good enough so I turn on my road and keep er right at 25 until I'm clear of town and speed up to about 50.
11 miles goes by quick and I'm back at the camp.
What a day!
I patrol my camp and dream big dreams looking out at the bay and my new friends houses. I wonder if they are looking at me?
I drink more beer and start putting on more clothes. It's colder than last night. A camp fire would be nice.
I walk all around and find an old tractor. It hasn't run for years. What's its story. Maybe an old pioneer's tractor.
I'm looking at the volcano nearest and a marine layer is coming in fast. It engulfs the volcano. Now I'm a little wet and cold.
But I cant leave, not yet.
I stand in the patio alcove of Rafael's house and it shelters me from the wind. I'll camp in there next trip. It's empty so I have it to myself. I should buy that darn house!
Finally I can't take much more cold. It's dark but still beautiful. I climb my high ground once more and burn the image into my mind.
Back to the nice warm truck and the even warmer hotel. A great diner in the restuarant and in for the evening.
Ensenada at 7am...

[Edited on 4-24-2008 by fishbuck]

fishbuck - 4-23-2008 at 04:56 PM

I'm up early and anxious to get ahead of the morning farm traffic. It takes lots of busloads of workers to farm all that area. They are slow and stop alot.
An uneventful drive gets me to Ensenada at around 9 and I get to Aida's to drop my FM-3 for renewal. My 1st year. She remembers me and I give her the FM and $215. 115 in fees and I guess her cut is 100. I'm not sure and don't really care.
It's all part of my grand plan to become a Mexican citizen.
I need to mail her back my passport and financials and I'll be legal again.
She helps me locate my lawyer, Enrique, by calling his office. He's by Doriens and has a parking lot near there. He's out so I decide to go down to the Malicon and get some coffee. There is a little drivethru on Costero that I use when I blast through Ensenada early. The is a very cute young women who works in there I'm guessing with her mom.
I decide to do the walk up and try and flirt with her a little. She's young and cute and has braces. The mom looks a little scary but doesn't seem to object to my intentions. I'm in love.
I figure even though she is probably 16 that it's okay in Mexico.
Hey my new friend in SQ is 84 and married a local girl 45. By that math I should be able to marry a 10 year old. But my donut shop girl is just right. Maybe she's 17.
I finish the coffee and have no reason to stay so I head for Enriques.
I park in his lot and find him. I need to make copies for him so I search out a copy shop. The I find an ATM to to get his $100 to review all my documents. They are notorized but I want the review just in case.
Turns out that the translator didn't include the CC&R'S so I have some wiggle room to negotiate with the developer, Rafael.
So time to head home and deal with an 1.5 hour buzz killing border wait. Traffic is good in Socal and about 3-4hours later I'm home in Costa Mesa again.
What a trip!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

[Edited on 4-24-2008 by fishbuck]

Diver - 4-23-2008 at 05:45 PM

Thanks for a great report !!
Sounds like the kind of trip that makes you want to go back - now !!

DENNIS - 4-23-2008 at 05:51 PM

Great report, Fish. Great writing and a Great thank you. It was fun.

fishbuck - 4-23-2008 at 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diver
Thanks for a great report !!
Sounds like the kind of trip that makes you want to go back - now !!

Ya, I've been heart sick all week. I am truly in love with baja.

fishbuck - 4-23-2008 at 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Great report, Fish. Great writing and a Great thank you. It was fun.

The fun was all mine. Can't wait to get back to Sharkys. In Cantu!

bajabound2005 - 4-23-2008 at 08:26 PM

Fishbuck - get a SENTRI pass!

durrelllrobert - 4-24-2008 at 10:43 AM

Quote:
The fun was all mine. Can't wait to get back to Sharkys. In Cantu!

Ditto on the great report. I'll see you at Sharky's next time you come down.:o:o:o

bacquito - 4-24-2008 at 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fishbuck
I went to Bajadock's Pub after I dropped some bikes at Bajamigo and Bajabound 2005's house.
It's a very cool drive and all uphill.
I wasn't sure where his house was but I had seen the pictures and drove through his neighborhood until I found the pub.
Th "Pub open" sign was up so I climbed his stairs and gave a yell.
He was expecting me because news travels fast at Punta Banda.He got an email from down the hill.
Doc invited me in and showed me his cool house and I was blown away by the veiw. We went onto his deck and the veiw was awesome. Like flying a plane we were so high up.
What a great guy with a great story. And he is into this (bikes) charity also. I found out about the golf tourney. It sounded great and I don't golf but if they do it again I'm going.
We chatted in the sunshine on the deck and I just did not want to leave.
I like Doc and will definitly have a drink with him in Ensenada next time I'm there.