BajaNomad

Bay of LA!!!

marv sherrill - 4-20-2008 at 05:04 PM

Just a quick report after almost 2 weeks in Bahia - hope to spend 2 more!!

Weather:
Wind from the West all night, then morning west segueing into a giant north afternoons- somtimes even a south! When west battles south, 5 minutes of calm results until west wins.

Activities:
Estimate wind speed - check with anemoneter
Develop wind speed to % of bay covered in white froth relationship - (50mph = 95%)
Develop wind speed to leg sting sand erosion pain scale 1-5 - (over 50mph no data avaliable - not enough testosterone)

Exercise:
Shovel sand off sidewalks
Sweep sand off porches
Dust sand off kitchen counters, tables, etc
Brush sand out of cat's fur
Wash sand out of hair, ears and other orifices
Repeat daily

Adaptations:
Coffee 9-10
Champagne brunch till noon
Afternoon beer, read Randy Wayne White novels, beer
Happy hour - Marguerita and world championship of Cribbage tourament (gail 56-Me 48..)
Dinner -
Wine - a little read- wine, nightcap, listen to KNX
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
We love Baja!

fandango - 4-20-2008 at 05:57 PM

:spingrin: hilarious!!!!!
quite a schedule, but i would do it any day, as long as it was in baja.
do you travel with your cats?

Fred - 4-20-2008 at 06:09 PM

Marv...............when the wind is blowing that hard, is it still possible to sweep the sand and drink a beer at the same time?

Multi tasking I think they call it.

Ken Bondy - 4-20-2008 at 06:23 PM

marv -- you do know how to live :)

saludos,

++Ken++

Paulina - 4-20-2008 at 07:17 PM

Very creative post. I do hope you get 2 more weeks as I'd love to read about the rest of your adventure.

ps. Your place must be north of town, as there's NEVER any wind down south where we are...:P:coolup:

P<*)))><

David K - 4-20-2008 at 07:34 PM

Paulina, only Marv and Gail have more street signs decorating their place than you and Dern have! The only difference is their signs come from Dana Point, CA :light::lol:

bajalera - 4-20-2008 at 10:11 PM

Now there's a dedicated Baja research scientist. Way to go, Marv!

Mexitron - 4-21-2008 at 04:22 AM

That sure beats eating canned tuna for dinner in the cab of the truck like we used to at Santa Rosalillita when the dunes started rippling.

Lauriboats - 4-21-2008 at 02:16 PM

Thats what it's all about!

marv sherrill - 4-22-2008 at 04:04 PM

The sun is shining, the wind stopped blowing,
we're out fishing, big catch boasting
to a perfect day, we are toasting
fellow nomads please disregard our last posting...

(apologies to Roger Sherman)

Paulina - we are a few houses south of Los Vientos Hotel - Look for dana point harbor sign- come on by for a beer anytime!

Fandango - we travel with Zorro - found him down here a year and a half ago - about 6 months old - this is his 7th trip - he loves it here!

Hope the weather holds for the next few days anyway!

Hasta -Marv and Gail

Barry A. - 4-22-2008 at 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Paulina, only Marv and Gail have more street signs decorating their place than you and Dern have! The only difference is their signs come from Dana Point, CA :light::lol:

You have touched a real sensitive point with me-----------Years and years ago we (BLM Rangers) made an "unofficial" sweep of the town of Puertecitos tearing down all the BLM signs we could find decorating peoples houses and yards and returning them to the California Desert-------those signs costs the taxpayers about $75 a piece, and it is a Federal crime to take them----------if we had been in the USA with jurisdiction we would have made some great arrests. :fire::fire::fire::fire:

I have never understood blatant law breakers.

That is MY rant for the day.

Barry

Paulina - 4-22-2008 at 04:50 PM

Barry,

FYI, none of our signs were removed from the State of California, or disassembled from anywhere else for that matter. Our signs are from Baja, and all were either run over or involved in some sort of accident that didn't require a tool of some sort to remove from their original position.

Totally innocent, :saint: probably not. A blatant law breaker? Not hardly.

P<*)))><

[Edited on 22-4-2008 by Paulina]

Barry A. - 4-22-2008 at 04:55 PM

Thanks, Paulina----that is good to know.

Barry

David K - 4-22-2008 at 04:59 PM

Barry... the signs that Marv decorated his Bahia home with were rescued from the city trash dumpster... They were replaced already, and he stole nothing... but saved the landfill from excess junk.

Hook - 4-22-2008 at 05:05 PM

Marv's gonna have a field day if the Dana Point "revitalization" ever gets going.

Barry A. - 4-22-2008 at 05:22 PM

Wow-----OK, David--------I guess I was shooting from the hip this time. glad to hear this info, and it makes me feel a lot better.

Thanks for the update.

barry

David K - 4-22-2008 at 05:34 PM

Yah, we don't want any bad press on Marv... He ia a GOOD one, has has changed so many young people's lives for the better with his marine biology field trips to Bahia las Animas... His BAJA CALENDAR helps to pay for the less advantaged city kids to have a first camping trip, first Mexico trip, first chance to learn how good the world is... outside of the city.

http://www.bajacalendar.com It's never too late to get one, as the money is for a real good cause... and the photos are great! Click on the calendar on that page or here to see more and order: http://www.bajacalendar.com/order.htm

[Edited on 4-23-2008 by David K]

Baja&Back - 4-23-2008 at 09:24 AM

Looking at my copy of the "Off the Beaten Track" calendar as I type. It is available at the front desk of Baja Cactus motel.

Didn't know it was Marv's creation when I bought it. FABULOUS WORK, MARV!!! Your beautiful photography captures a lot of the essence of Baja.

bigboy - 4-23-2008 at 10:39 AM

That should be Alan Sherman!

Barry A. - 4-23-2008 at 12:38 PM

Soulpatch------I HAVE chilled out, but the signs that we repatriated from PuerteCitos were originally STOLEN from the California Desert, not "auctioned" off, and we KNEW it. At the time we almost hoped that one of the local residents would have protested us taking-back the BLM signs, but alas they just watched us with distain. Over the years we lost 100's of BLM signs in the CA Desert, costing $1000's of dollars to the tax-payers.

I have no problem with signs that are obtained legally, and in fact I have a couple myself.

Barry

marv sherrill - 4-23-2008 at 06:12 PM

Thanks David for my defense - Anyway, the signs were procurred from a dumpster and now hang proudly from mi casa. I hope to continue the Baja Calendar next year and have already gotten some guest photographers contributing photos - still enjoying my days here in Bahia and welcome any visitors to stop by! (wind picked up again today) If you have any photos that you would like to submit and share, email them to me! I have used many pictures from nomads and will feature some more in next year's calendar. The students are so excited for this years trip! I'm heading back north first week of next month to help in logistics for the trip and then a quick turn around and head back down.

Soulpatch we should be back by May 14 or so - will try to get to the Book signing at Keri's next week! u2u keep in touch

805gregg - 4-26-2008 at 07:41 AM

I say get rid of the BLM give the peoples land back to the people and let them destroy all the signs the BLM was ever there.

[Edited on 4-26-2008 by 805gregg]

Barry A. - 4-27-2008 at 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 805gregg
I say get rid of the BLM give the peoples land back to the people and let them destroy all the signs the BLM was ever there.

[Edited on 4-26-2008 by 805gregg]

What an interesting, friendly comment about the largest land owner in the USA (BLM owns 1/5 of all the land in the United States). The Bureau of Land Management (BLM) manages the Public Lands-----get it "Public Lands"------which means that EVERY CITIZEN OF THE USA has a stake in those lands, and IS the owner. BLM is MANDATED by Congress to manage those lands, which means that BLM has to try and satisfy all US citizens (an impossible job) as best as possible.

Nice that you are so understanding, and would prefer chaos out there. :lol:

Cheers, Barry

Barry A. - 4-27-2008 at 05:32 PM

Soulpatch-----------Yep, you are probably right------since I have been "out of it" for over 12 years now, who knows who the Bureau is hiring now for it's Rangers-----I do know that we were attracting "harder and harder line" enforcement types when I left, and I did not like the trend.

I have long wondered what has happened to the "traditional" Ranger types that we all used to encounter in the Parks and on the Public lands that were actually out there to HELP people, not harrass them.

Maybe there are just to many knotheads out on the public lands these days-----I don't really know, and I no longer really care, if you know what I mean.

It was fun when I was on the job-----not sure that is true anymore.

Thanks for the input.

Viva Baja.

barry