BajaNomad

Pemex is NOW OPEN IN Puertecitos !

beercan - 4-21-2008 at 12:31 PM

Got here this morning and the Pemex is open and dispensing gas !!

David K - 4-21-2008 at 02:11 PM

Amazing! The 'end' must be near... or is hell getting cold?

Hook - 4-21-2008 at 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by beercan
Got here this morning and the Pemex is open and dispensing gas !!

Was there diesel?

Progress Mexican Style.

MrBillM - 4-21-2008 at 04:59 PM

Good news.

At 0948, my wife said "What the Hell.........?" and I said that was probably Bob.

Gadget - 4-22-2008 at 12:11 PM

Everywhere but Punta Prieta. There will be 2 stations on a corner before one goes in there.....oh wait there already is in BoLA.

htakai - 4-22-2008 at 12:18 PM

When I was there in February 2008, a local realtor mentioned that they were planning on paving the road from Puertecitos to Gonzaga Bay. Is that true?

Barry A. - 4-22-2008 at 12:22 PM

----------"planning" is the key word here. "Plans" and rumors have been swirling for many, many years------------I will believe it when I see it. (I know, that is cynical) :lol:

By the way, this is not the first time that a Pemex has been open in PuertoCitos----------maybe it will "stick" this time. (??)

barry

No Comparison

MrBillM - 4-22-2008 at 12:50 PM

Having stopped at the "original" Pemex in Puertecitos many times during the 70s, the reasons it didn't "Stick" probably had nothing to do with customers.

I've stopped when they were out of gas, out of power or nobody around. For awhile, they had to start up a small genset to run the pump and, one other time, the only gas they had was in barrels.

The new "Quali" station should do fine, provided there's an attendant around.

[Edited on 4-22-2008 by MrBillM]

Barry A. - 4-22-2008 at 01:15 PM

Thanks, Bill--------I have always wondered about that station. Now I know some of the "rest of the story". It seems I always mis-spell PUERTECITOS (as well as lots of other words)-------thanks for straightening me out (again) :light:

How many miracles do you expect ?

beercan - 4-22-2008 at 03:40 PM

Quote:
by hook
Was there diesel?

The bypass is getting close to completion

beercan - 4-22-2008 at 03:43 PM

Quote:
htakai
When I was there in February 2008, a local realtor mentioned that they were planning on paving the road from Puertecitos to Gonzaga Bay. Is that true?

The road is posed to be paved to Hwy 1 by 2011--but this is mexico, so your guess is good as any others .:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Hook - 4-22-2008 at 03:45 PM

Being a secular humanist, I assumed the opening was just another example of the randomness of the universe..........you know, butteryfly wings against Half Dome, diesel available in Puertecitos, etc. Seemed like equal odds. :no:

David K - 4-22-2008 at 05:14 PM

Isn't it a bit interesting that the new Puertecitos station isn't on the new highway... which is going around town, in the hills... ?

So, at least there is a reason to detour off the highway and drive through town... for gas (or a beer or a taco or to pay to see the hot springs).

Wasn't it silly to not allow the highway to use the same route as the original road to Gonzaga?

Great idea !!

beercan - 4-23-2008 at 12:20 PM

Nope, glad the "highway didn't come thru town . That would have been a disaster!! truck traffic is increasing and I don't need the extra noise or hazard.
I enjoy 'peace and quite"-- been working at the Flying Sams clinic in El Rosario and the noise from the highway is deafening !!

Clara did the right thing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bounce::bounce::bounce:

David K - 4-23-2008 at 06:34 PM

I see your point beercan... less is best!

Now, wouldn't have been better to have the new station along the highway instead of making cars come into town for gas?:?:

Is there still a fee to see the hot springs... the ones on federal land?

We used to go there often in the 70's and 80's... and spent money at the cantina. Then Rafael died and the esposa got cheap, added a toll gate to get to the springs, and now we don't go there or the cantina anymore!:no:

Within the law .

beercan - 4-23-2008 at 07:30 PM

The Orozco family represented by Clara are within their rights to charge for entrance across their property.

Clara has made many improvements to access and parking for the springs. In addition , she has provided concrete paths to increase safety , and enlarged the springs area , so that many more people may utilize that facility.
I am not privy to much of the actual costs, but since I do know a bit about development and construction, I feel that a reasonable fee is very much in line.
I will however speak with her about certain aspects of the charges, such as access to the restaurant , etc.
She has a plan in mind for this "camp" and not too many people will have any influence on the outcome other than the Family.

The "new station" was constructed about 10-12 years ago ?

beercan - 4-23-2008 at 07:35 PM

That was well before the plans were completed for any new road construction.

Quote:
by David
Now, wouldn't have been better to have the new station along the highway instead of making cars come into town for gas?:?:

David K - 4-24-2008 at 09:14 AM

Yes, I understand... of course. Would you (as a Puertecitos resident) prefer the station to be on the new highway route so that no 'outsiders' need to drive through the middle of beautiful downtown Puertecitos to get gas... is what I was trying to ask... That would help keep it even quieter. Naturally, that is a mute point since the station is built. Is the Orozco family the operators of it?

As for the springs, perhaps to use them a charge is fine... but to just look at them or photograph them (good for promoting them to others for more $$$)??? I don't know of any other town that charges an admitance fee in Mexico.

Thanks for your responce...

toll gate

Matt&Mutt - 4-26-2008 at 02:31 AM

The only slightly negative experience I recently had in over a month of camping in Baja was with the guy at the gate in Puertecitos who demanded $10 to drive through the gate just to take a 2 minute peek to see if I wanted to camp on their beach. Forget that--I found a sweet sweet pristine deserted beach not far down the road to make home for a couple of days. I can understand a charge to use their facilities/beach/camp, but requiring loot to drive a loop around their parking lot is ridiculous. This kid was kind of an ass about it, too--the only person that I met in Mexico in a month that I really didn't want to get to know any better...

ArvadaGeorge - 4-26-2008 at 07:32 AM

My Wife Louise and I camped there last January for 2 days. Originally they wanted $30.00 a night for out 23ft RV with m/c trailer. I wanted to look around they said ok. The couple of other campers said they were paying $ 15.00 after some negotiations, with threats to leave, they settled for $15.00 a night.
I was pleasantly surprised by this place. Kind of like camping in town; but a beautiful bay Tables, water, and electricity (5 to 10:00pm) at the site. clean toilets good restaurant
24hr access to hot springs.
Fees as I remember them:
Cars Trucks with up to 3 persons 10.00
ATV & M/C with 2 persons 5.00

You can go to the Restaurant with out paying

My wife and I have checked out most of the Campos in the San Felipe area and tried quite a few.
Most of the prices have gotten out of hand for what you get. In Colorado the Forest Service camp grounds are $10.00 to $15.00 with comparable service. I wouldn’t mind paying the asking price of $25.00 to $50.00 per night if they offer more-I explain this and offer less.

San Felipe has had a dramatic increase in theft. It is my opinion that most of the thefts are related to the vendors. More vendors = more Theft
I find it hard to say this; but if you camp in the S/F area pick a camp ground that has some at the gate or don’t leave your rig/stuff unguarded.

smlslikfish - 4-26-2008 at 10:38 AM

It's my understanding that Clara didn't pay for any of the improvements in town, i.e. launch ramp, hot spring enlargement, walkways etc. The local gringos brought the material and had work parties. The access fee varies with whoever happens to be at the gate. Try driving in like you live there, it works about half the time!

Your "understanding " is WRONG .

beercan - 4-26-2008 at 04:21 PM

I know, I live there and have been an owner for over 20 years.

Quote:

It's my understanding that Clara didn't pay for any of the improvements in town, i.e. launch ramp, hot spring enlargement, walkways etc. The local gringos brought the material and had work parties. The access fee varies with whoever happens to be at the gate. Try driving in like you live there, it works about half the time!

Barry A. - 4-27-2008 at 12:10 PM

I, like others who have commented, used to like PuerteCitos, but when they started getting hostile, and charged to even drive into the town (out on the peninsula) I NEVER do anything but "drive Thru" anymore, and head south-----it is the ONLY town that I get negative vibes from, other than perhaps Puerto Calamajue. I won't even eat there anymore.

Barry, this is the "mexico" that you should be concerned with ??

beercan - 4-28-2008 at 04:01 PM

This is just one of many stories that I have been told.

I can tell you a few that I have personal knowledge of and have seen .

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=31122

On another note, when I purchased property in Jones Valley many years ago, Redding was a "sleepy", friendly town. I don't think it can be described in the same vein today?

Just that times , they are a changing .

Barry A. - 5-5-2008 at 09:03 AM

Beer Can---------Redding is certainly still friendly, but your right, it is not "sleepy" anymore, darn it. The hordes from the Bay area and S. CA are descending on us rapidly, but most of them are nice people (so far). But traffic is getting kinda out of control, and there is now a glut of traffic lights.

Lots of houses available, tho-------we are WAY overbuilt.

Jones Valley is still very nice, tho.

Barry