BajaNomad

Reels in carry on luggage

TonyC - 4-24-2008 at 06:26 PM

Does TSA have a problem with reels in carry on luggage with line (spectra, or mono.)?

sd - 4-24-2008 at 06:48 PM

In my experience, no.

Alaska Airlines told me one time that I would need to check them, but agreed to let me go to TSA and ask. They allowed me to carry on, with mono and spectra.

Have fun fishing!

TonyC - 4-25-2008 at 01:33 PM

Thanks for the reply sd. I saw on another website a few were told reels ok, line no. Costa Rica was a location that said no line on reels for carry on, as well as a few leaving from L.A. Don't want my reels in check in. Don't need to tell you how much spectra cost. I went to TSA website, no mention of line on reels. I sent them an email for an answer.

sd - 4-25-2008 at 10:32 PM

TonyC -

Would love for you to post the letter if you get one.

A long time back, maybe 2 or 3 years, I think it was Western Outdoor News that posted the rules in their paper. Someone, maybe them said to keep a copy of those rules with your reels, and of course I did not. I will the next time I see them.

At one time, reels were allowed as carry on only if they had no line. I made many trips during that time, only to Mexico, and they did not enforce that rule, and allowed me to carry on my reel bag with spectra and mono, and extra mono.

Since then, that rule has changed and reels with line and spectra are OK. I also looked for this rule on TSA, and do not see it there.

Good Luck!!

acadist - 4-26-2008 at 01:07 PM

I agree, I am headed to La Paz soon and would like to know if I can have new line on my reels before I leave.
Quote:
Originally posted by sd
TonyC -

Would love for you to post the letter if you get one.

A long time back, maybe 2 or 3 years, I think it was Western Outdoor News that posted the rules in their paper. Someone, maybe them said to keep a copy of those rules with your reels, and of course I did not. I will the next time I see them.

At one time, reels were allowed as carry on only if they had no line. I made many trips during that time, only to Mexico, and they did not enforce that rule, and allowed me to carry on my reel bag with spectra and mono, and extra mono.

Since then, that rule has changed and reels with line and spectra are OK. I also looked for this rule on TSA, and do not see it there.

Good Luck!!

TonyC - 4-27-2008 at 09:53 PM

After reading the TSA website regarding if you can have line on reels as carry on, there first response after sending a email was to visited the TSA website.

I sent a another email. Here's my email to them.

Before I sent my question, I already visited, and read the below from TSA website. My question was regarding having fishing line on the reel. A few fishermen leaving L.A. airports, and some to Costa Rica were told....no fishing line on reels going as carry on. There is no reference to line on the reels in the TSA website, but a few after getting to the airport were told that no line can be loaded in the reels to have the reels good to board as carry on. Again, what is the policy?

Here's their response:

Re: Customer Service Feedback <<#191661-269991#>>‏
Sent: Sun 4/27/08 3:06 PM
To:

Thank you for your e-mail.

The Transportation Security Administration's current security screening procedures require all carry-on luggage and accessible property be screened before passengers take them onboard an aircraft. Regardless of whether an item is on the prohibited or permitted items list, the Transportation Security Officers (TSO's) have discretion to prohibit an individual from carrying an item through the screening checkpoint or onboard an aircraft if the item poses a security threat.

Therefore, TSA security screening personnel make the final decision on whether to permit items like this into the sterile area of the airport. Should you need additional assistance, feel free to contact us at toll free 866-289-9673.

Please visit our website at www.tsa.gov for additional information about TSA. We continue to add new information and encourage you to check the website frequently for updated information.

We hope this information is helpful.

TSA Contact Center

I give up. I guess it depends on the screener at the airport. NO CONSISTENCY.

Tight lines....if you get to keep it.

Tony

Alan - 4-28-2008 at 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TonyC

Tony

How cool is that! You can get acclimated to Mexico before you even leave the states!:lol:

Don Alley - 4-28-2008 at 07:19 AM

This has been the subject of many threads on this and other (fishing) forums. I also wrote the TSA once for clarification.

And I got essentially the same response. There is no guarantee that anything you bring to carry on an airline flight will be allowed to pass through security.

From the responses over the last couple of years, almost all of those who attempted to carry on reels had no problems. In rare cases they had to remove the line, no small problem if they used expensive Spectra backing. I remember one poster once saying he could not board with a large reel in Honolulu because it's "mass" could make it a weapon. One airport mentioned most frequently with a problem was Loreto.

The bottom line is you could find yourself standing in line, perhaps in another city, your plane about to leave, and you holding two or three Accurate Platinums, Penn Internationals or Avet Two Speeds totaling a couple grand or more, that you cannot take with you.

Some popular fishing areas at harbors and from docks and piers in the USA and other countries (including near Loreto) have been closed to fishing for security/terrorism concerns. Freedom is not free; freedom comes with risks to security. By eliminating some of our freedom we can reduce some of these high costs and increase our safety and security. :saint:

shari - 4-28-2008 at 07:26 AM

Ah gee...maybe we should start a HOTLINE number you can call where we could come and pick up those nice reels...take em off your hands so you don't have to give them to the airport worker...(this old brain works pretty good for monday morning eh...always thinkin...about how to help out my fellow Nomads!!!!:lol::lol:

sd - 4-28-2008 at 12:38 PM

Hey Tony -

I e mailed TSA, and they sent a form letter response with a phone number of (866) 289-9673.

I called, and it just gives recorded info, and does not answer the specific question.

My experience from Los Angeles to Cabo airport (SJD) is that reels with line and spectra have always been allowed for my travel. My trips are normally on Alaska Airlines, but have done the same on Mexicana and American Airlines.

If the airline says you can't, ask them if you can ask TSA. This happened only once to me, and TSA allowed me to carry on.

Good Luck!

acadist - 4-28-2008 at 06:38 PM

Maybe I should let the 4 year old smuggle the reels with line to Cabo.

TonyC - 4-28-2008 at 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alan
Quote:
Originally posted by TonyC

Tony

How cool is that! You can get acclimated to Mexico before you even leave the states!:lol:

:lol::lol::lol:.... that was good.

fishbuck - 4-28-2008 at 07:22 PM

Why not just check the reels? I'm planning a trip myself and might just pack my stuff and check it.
I'm only going to fish 1 or 2 days so I might just take a chance on the panga gear.
Alsaka allows 3 checked items for Mex as long as one is fishing gear. Three bags up to 50lbs each. That's alot of reels. Plus 2 pieces of carry-on.
If you stuff gets stolen it's insured by the airline.