BajaNomad

Next Fastest Fish

Osprey - 4-25-2008 at 07:04 AM

Next Fastest Fish

My post about the fastest fish was a real surprise to me. I thought Nomads would just give information they knew about or personal experience that would come close enough to let me get back to my inquisitive pal with a short laundry list. The Nomads were way ahead of the curve and set me, my pal and the piscatorial world on our heels by showing everyone that current speed tests are flawed and invalid.

Nomads pointed out that some fish tested might have hit the lure from the side or front so the speed was not measured in a straight line away from the boat. Then there’s the point about the difference in speed after being hooked versus the same speed chasing and catching it’s prey (I was going to say “Fast Food”).

No wonder we can’t really nail it down; there are so many fish, so many ways to catch them, so many variables. My dog Storm loves to fish but faces lots of problems – the little fighting belt I made him slips over his small hips and has to be constantly readjusted. Likewise the forepaw boot I attached to the reel handle needs to be tightened during the fight. He barks incessantly until I get the trolling speed down around 8 miles an hour – I think this is an imprinting thing about chasing cars; I think he’s afraid we are out-running the slower fish. He goes a little nuts near the end of the fight – he hates the catch-and-release thing, prefers the catch and eat method. He probably thinks all my releases are just clumsy mistakes. But I digress……

Fish are just like people – fickle, moody and quirky. Some times they will only eat fresh, live bait, other times they will bite anything less durable than a rock. Lots of lures are purposely manufactured to resemble injured bait fish; they wobble, dart, dash, dive and may appear to be crippled, easier to catch. Often when I’m fishing, I use them but go home with nothing only because I have trolled them through schools of Paladin types, Travis McGee fish who would never, never take advantage of damaged goods, an injured animal.

I have lures that are so bright they can actually hurt your eyes. I think some have killed bats. I usually employ those big gaudy ones to try to catch radio fish. Those are the ones I hear being caught on the radio. I listen carefully, discern the exact position and often get to the feeding spot just minutes after the bite – then it’s off to another radio hot spot and so on throughout the day.

Now I’m using all the new invisible line and 400 pound test NASA stuff that’s thinner than a possum’s whisker. I have floro, chloro, miro, mini, ultra and double ultra. Now I’m beginning to think I did better before, maybe the fish could see the line, the leader, then followed it to the bait!

I think there’s one sure scientific end-game for the fastest fish in the sea. When we have fished out all the oceans, eaten almost every last fish, the little relic survivors might then be determined to be the fastest (or smartest or, come to think of it, the ones that taste like rutabagas).

Capt. George - 4-25-2008 at 07:42 AM

Osprey

Please give me the name(s) of your therapist........I want whatever medications you are on..........

And, by the way, thanks a lot for making me wet my pants!

Martyman - 4-25-2008 at 09:22 AM

So my dummy fishing methods are still the best? Great, because I'm too stupid to learn anything new.
I'm currently reading Zane Greys "Tales of Fishes" that was recommended here on Nomads. Kinda gets you in the mood. Zane makes it sound like bonefish are smarter than people. Or at least smarter than me.

Who else out there wants more pictures of baja gypsy wrapped in seaweed?

Gadget - 4-25-2008 at 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Osprey
Next Fastest Fish

No wonder we can’t really nail it down; there are so many fish, so many ways to catch them, so many variables. My dog Storm loves to fish but faces lots of problems – the little fighting belt I made him slips over his small hips and has to be constantly readjusted. Likewise the forepaw boot I attached to the reel handle needs to be tightened during the fight. He barks incessantly until I get the trolling speed down around 8 miles an hour – I think this is an imprinting thing about chasing cars; I think he’s afraid we are out-running the slower fish. He goes a little nuts near the end of the fight – he hates the catch-and-release thing, prefers the catch and eat method. He probably thinks all my releases are just clumsy mistakes. But I digress……

:lol::lol::lol::lol: The anthropomorphizing cops in white suits are at your door as I type.