BajaNomad

Fishplan!

fishbuck - 4-28-2008 at 07:34 PM

Okay, I've begged everyone to go fishing or take me fishing but no luck.
So here's the plan.
Lax-Alaska Airlines-La Paz. $409

Rental car La Paz. unknown but maybe $25-50 for a cheapo. 4 days

Baja Joe's Paradise-La Ventana. Beachfront $50-60/night. 3 nights

Panga fish from beach in front of paradise. $180/day for standard 22 panga.

Maybe fish 2 days or find a kayak fishing operation and try that. It would be fun to catch a Roosterfish from a kayak... I think. Never caught a Rooster yet. Maybe from the beach too.

Last day back to LaLa land. Best to go back quick before I go indian again and it takes to weeks to reindoctrinate me back to SoCal living like last time.;D

Diver - 4-28-2008 at 07:53 PM

Sounds like a great plan !!
I've seen some posts about Muertos fishing on Allcoast and they have been hitting like wild !!
Spent 5 weeks there last Jan/Feb and had a blast !!

http://www.allcoast.com/discussion/ViewTopic.cfm?page=1&...

fishbuck - 4-28-2008 at 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diver
Sounds like a great plan !!
I've seen some posts about Muertos fishing on Allcoast and they have been hitting like wild !!
Spent 5 weeks there last Jan/Feb and had a blast !!

http://www.allcoast.com/discussion/ViewTopic.cfm?page=1&...

That was my original destination but no place to stay except camp. It might be fun but not this trip.

fishbuck - 4-28-2008 at 07:56 PM

My cheapest rental car is about $35/day for an econbox with a/c. Anybody know a cheaper one? 35 is okay but I'm always looking for a better deal.:smug:

Diver - 4-28-2008 at 08:31 PM

By Muertos I mean the straight between Muertos and the south end of the island.
You can fish Muertos from Baja Joe's beach or some of the launches will meet you at Muertos in the morning; it's only a 20 minute drive.
By water it's about 12 miles to the south end of the island and a few more to the north end; both good fishing. This is where most pangas will take you from La Ventana.

Diver - 4-28-2008 at 08:43 PM

Here's a shot looking at the La Ventana beachfront from the south end of the bay. I think Baja Joes is the reddish compound to the left.

DSCN0373.jpg - 39kB

tunaeater - 4-28-2008 at 08:48 PM

Fishbuck when do you plan on going ? We are fishing in Cabo some time between 8/9-8/16...

Paul

fishbuck - 4-28-2008 at 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tunaeater
Fishbuck when do you plan on going ? We are fishing in Cabo some time between 8/9-8/16...

Paul

Cabo sounds great.
I'm going to make an "emergency" fishing trip on May 21-24 if I can get my head around this. I need to shoehorn it in between work and other commitments. I picked La Paz because I'm familiar witht he area and like that Muertos scene alot.
Plus the fishing is crazy wideopen there.

fishbuck - 4-29-2008 at 12:44 AM

Quote:
Here's a shot looking at the La Ventana beachfront from the south end of the bay. I think Baja Joes is the reddish compound to the left.

Now that is my kind of beach!

Note to self: Go to gym and do some swimming. Might come in handy at Baja Joes.:cool:

fishbuck - 4-29-2008 at 01:05 AM

Quote:
By Muertos I mean the straight between Muertos and the south end of the island.
You can fish Muertos from Baja Joe's beach or some of the launches will meet you at Muertos in the morning; it's only a 20 minute drive.
By water it's about 12 miles to the south end of the island and a few more to the north end; both good fishing. This is where most pangas will take you from La Ventana.

I fished Meurtos a couple of times. I've also driven my truck there a few times and explored around. I flew there once and landed at the Las Arenas runway when it was still dirt. I went to the hotel and watched the eclispe in like 1990 or so.
My first trip we went out to the island and made bait. Then back to mid channel. There is a pinical or 2 that bring the fish up. I caught a pile of yellowfin and a couple of big skip jack. I hooked 1 fish on 20lb test and couldn't quite get him in gaff range. He circled just out of reach for a good while and finally popped off. Hook came out. I watched him swim gently into the clear blue water for about 100 feet.
The captain looked at me and said " Aren't you angry? "
"Angry? Heck no! I have more fish in the box than I can carry home now! That was the best fish I ever fought. I was glad to see him get away."
We both cracked a beer and I had just had my best trip ever!

[Edited on 4-29-2008 by fishbuck]

Don Alley - 4-29-2008 at 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by fishbuck[/i

The captain looked at me and said " Aren't you angry? "
"Angry? Heck no! I have more fish in the box than I can carry home now! That was the best fish I ever fought. I was glad to see him get away."

Awesome!

Have fun on your trip!

fishbuck - 4-29-2008 at 06:54 PM

Okay, emailed Baja Joe's about availibilty but I don't really care if he's booked. I find another place if necessary.
I just need to purchase my airline ticket before the rate goes up.
I'll think on it a little but I'm pretty sure I'll do it tonight.:)

fishbuck - 4-29-2008 at 10:06 PM

Okay, I did it. Or atleast I put the res on a 24hr hold to decide whether this is a good idea. 407 rt from Lax to Lap including tax and fees. The cheapest would have been $69 cheaper but I missed those seats so a little more. But not bad.
It will be a short trip but a good one.

Iflyfish - 4-29-2008 at 10:57 PM

Wow, looks like great fishing!
Iflyfish

fishbuck - 4-30-2008 at 01:09 PM

Well, Baja Joes might be out. All the good rooms are booked by a bunch of Fly Fishermen. I asked what they have left but I'm not sure.
Anybody familiar with La Ventana. Can anyone recommend a decent place to stay there.I guess I could stay in La Paz but I want something a little more beach scene.
Maybe I'm back to camping in the parking lot at Muertos at the Giggling Marlin.

fishbuck - 4-30-2008 at 07:04 PM

Is it too hot to camp in La Paz area now? I noticed it was about 97 today. Does it cool enough at night?
Camping at Los Muertos is sounding better to me.
I might switch to East Cape instead too. Maybe Los Barille Motel about 55/night.
Maybe stay in La Paz and drive out to Muertos early.

Diver - 4-30-2008 at 08:04 PM

I normally recommend Casa Verde in La Ventana but they are closed for the HOT months.

Try this one in La Ventana;

http://www.palapasventana.com/activities.html

fishbuck - 4-30-2008 at 08:15 PM

Quote:
I normally recommend Casa Verde in La Ventana but they are closed for the HOT months.

Try this one in La Ventana;

http://www.palapasventana.com/activities.html

Regular Casita – Accommodates up to 2 people
$55 per person double occupancy

Over my budget. but looks very nice.
I did email Casa Verde but no answer yet. Maybe the teepee!

fishbuck - 4-30-2008 at 08:44 PM

Okay got the car reserved. $25/day.

This camping idea is starting to take hold in my mind. The night time temp in La Paz is about 60 now and should be about 65 by my trip.
I figure that I should be able to pack in the things I need.
3 pieces (50lbs each) of checked luggage and 2 carry on.
I'm trying to decide where. La Ventana or Los Muertos. Maybe both.
I still haven't ruled out a cheap motel with air and a shower. But I am trying to avoid staying in La Paz.

Hook - 4-30-2008 at 09:10 PM

I didnt think you could camp at Los Muertos anymore.

tattuna - 4-30-2008 at 09:39 PM

Just got this e mail from Jonathan Roldan......

Alaska Air just announced an airfare drop for flights to La Paz. You have to purchase tickets by May 8 and use them by June 25th. Sample fare $119 from Los Angeles one way plus taxes! That's almost half price!

Their phone is 1-800-Alaska Air.

fishbuck - 4-30-2008 at 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tattuna
Just got this e mail from Jonathan Roldan......

Alaska Air just announced an airfare drop for flights to La Paz. You have to purchase tickets by May 8 and use them by June 25th. Sample fare $119 from Los Angeles one way plus taxes! That's almost half price!

Their phone is 1-800-Alaska Air.

Good luck finding that fare. I booked through Alaska webpage. If that fare existed those tickets are gone.
My cheapest was $130 outbound and $199 back + about $100 in taxes and fees. Or $407rt including taxes and fees.

[Edited on 5-1-2008 by fishbuck]

tattuna - 4-30-2008 at 11:45 PM

When did you book? The sale started today.

http://www.alaskaair.com/as/www2/Promo/FarePromos/Summer-Pre...

fishbuck - 4-30-2008 at 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tattuna
When did you book? The sale started today.

http://www.alaskaair.com/as/www2/Promo/FarePromos/Summer-Pre...

I booked yesterday but purchased today. I checked before and the fares had gone up $30 overnight.
The cheapest fare they list is $132 one way.

fishbuck - 4-30-2008 at 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
I didnt think you could camp at Los Muertos anymore.

I read reports on here that it's okay near the launch ramp.

fishbuck - 5-1-2008 at 04:44 PM

Okay, I need to email all the La Paz Sportfishing companies and let them know I will split a panga with someone. One time I was able to split one there by just asking around.
Fished will a local expat american. It was fun, we caught a bunch of midsize reds. Only time I've ever fish for them. Maybe I'll get another shot this trip!