BajaNomad

Newport Baja

fishbuck - 4-29-2008 at 01:38 AM

I live in Costa Mesa a stones throw from the Newport Beach line.
Yesterday it was like 85 here and just a little tropical. I spent most of the day in the shade working on my truck and motocross bike.
At about 4 I went down to the beach. My custom is to stop at the store and buy a 24oz. Bud and find a spot and pretend I'm drinking a beer in Baja.
The spot I go to has dunes and iceplant and stuff so you don't see the houses.
It's a little dangerous because its like a $1000 fine if you get caught drinking a beer there. But I lived oceanfront for about 10 years so I still have "local knowledge".
I love to sit there and pretend I'm in Baja. It ain't Baja, but it ain't bad neither!
Later in the bay I saw a yellowfin croaker working the bottom and then a baby stringray
swam by.
It was nice.

capt. mike - 4-29-2008 at 06:45 AM

why don't you just pour it into a big gulp cup?
cammo style!! that's what i do all over in publical placitos.:light:

DENNIS - 4-29-2008 at 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
why don't you just pour it into a big gulp cup?
cammo style!! that's what i do all over in publical placitos.:light:

Yeah....And they don't break when you throw them out the window at 1000 feet.

David K - 4-29-2008 at 07:34 AM

"...and buy a 24oz. Bud..."

Don't they sell Pacifico in Costa Mesa?:rolleyes:

Come on down to Oceanside my friend... Pacifico, XX, Sol, Tecate and even that Corona stuff is in all our markets!

Will you be going to the Pyramid Resort this Saturday?

Cardon Man - 4-29-2008 at 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by fishbuck
It's a little dangerous because its like a $1000 fine if you get caught drinking a beer there.

That's a sad commentary on the USA. Drinking beer on the beach must have a been a real threat to public safety to warrant that approach. :?:

DENNIS - 4-29-2008 at 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cardon Man

That's a sad commentary on the USA. Drinking beer on the beach must have a been a real threat to public safety to warrant that approach. :?:

Actually, that was a commentary on Newport Beach. They demand respect for their laws even when they are harsh and unreasonable. I know....I was raised there.

Paulina - 4-29-2008 at 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

Come on down to Oceanside my friend... Pacifico, XX, Sol, Tecate and even that Corona stuff is in all our markets!

We call a 24 oz Bud a "Tallboy". Fishbuck would have to buy a Caguama or a Ballena in order to have enough to satisfy his baja thirst!

I like your tradition Fishbuck, sounds like something Dern and I would do.

P<*)))><

David K - 4-29-2008 at 08:13 AM

They sell Ballenas of Pacifico here...

The normal size bottles are better I think, because they don't have time to warm up, as they are drunk faster than a Ballena...:P

fishbuck - 4-29-2008 at 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

I guess I should switch to Mex beer for the for effect!
I will be at the Pyramid Saturday. But I have to leave early. Plenty of time to buy a few books and meet people.

fishbuck - 4-29-2008 at 12:08 PM

Quote:
Quote:
It's a little dangerous because its like a $1000 fine if you get caught drinking a beer there.

Ya, I was lucky that the several million dollar helicopter wasn't around. I'm sure they have some kind of hi-tech "cold beer" detection system. Once you've been spotted there's no hiding. An army of quads and 4x4s will be on you before you can destroy the evidence.
Forget about trying to escape into the water. Newport has a navy also. And maybe a submarine too.:(

[Edited on 4-29-2008 by fishbuck]

DENNIS - 4-29-2008 at 01:31 PM

Quote:
[Forget about trying to escape into the water. Newport has a navy also. And maybe a submarine too.:(

Coastguard and Sea Scouts. Low intimidation factor.

fight the Power!

Cardon Man - 4-29-2008 at 05:17 PM

Quote:

Ya, I was lucky that the several million dollar helicopter wasn't around. I'm sure they have some kind of hi-tech "cold beer" detection system. Once you've been spotted there's no hiding. An army of quads and 4x4s will be on you before you can destroy the evidence.
Forget about trying to escape into the water. Newport has a navy also. And maybe a submarine too.:(

Good lord. Now I'm convinced moving to Baja full time was the best thing I've ever done. At least there is some degree of freedom here. How sad is that? It seems in the USA, the land of the free, that the man is behind every bush looking to enforce an ill conceived law, and more importantly, impose an over blown fine!

In my experience, hanging out in any public park or beach in the USA is almost a guarantee to have a cop roll up on you for an attempted shake down. And heaven help you if you are young, Mexican, Black, or white with long hair. At that point you might as well empty your wallet for "the man".

Viva Baja. I think I'll walk to the beach with a cold Ballena and drink one for all the Bro's back home that can't enjoy that simple pleasure.

Hook - 4-29-2008 at 05:21 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Good lord. Now I'm convinced moving to Baja full time was the best thing I've ever done. At least there is some degree of freedom here. How sad is that? It seems in the USA, the land of the free, that the man is behind every bush looking to enforce an ill conceived law, and more importantly, impose an over blown fine!

In my experience, hanging out in any public park or beach in the USA is almost a guarantee to have a cop roll up on you for an attempted shake down. And heaven help you if you are young, Mexican, Black, or white with long hair. At that point you might as well empty your wallet for "the man".

Viva Baja. I think I'll walk to the beach with a cold Ballena and drink one for all the Bro's back home that can't enjoy that simple pleasure.

If only the British had evicted Rastafarians in 1620 instead of Puritans.............

[Edited on 4-30-2008 by Hook]

Ken Bondy - 4-29-2008 at 06:10 PM

fishbuck you know howta live! ++Ken++

You Can Drink on the Beach in Newport

Gypsy Jan - 4-29-2008 at 07:58 PM

...with no problem - if you are sitting next to your private dock on the bay.

True story: A paramedic ambulance was pulling away down the street and some bayside residents came outside. One lady asked another about the event. The other lady replied, "It's nothing, it wasn't one of us."

I don't miss Newport at all.

Beach violations

Sharksbaja - 4-29-2008 at 11:56 PM

That's part of the reason we left SoCal. WTF is that all about. Up here folks are encouraged to use the beaches for recreation.
I remember the day when....ah never mind. You ol'timers know how it WAS.

On our beaches you will find:

Dogs of all shapes and sizes.
Tourists of all shapes and sizes.
Campfires.
Drinks.
Picnics
Beachbums
Surfers.
White Oregonians.
Fireworks.
Topless bathers.(yes we had one in 1999)
Horses.
Fishermen and women.
Agate collectors.
Etc...etc....etc.

You feel so carefree on our beaches. You will never get scoped out or harassed by big-egoed quad-cops. They are up on 101.

Sorta like some places I know in Baja. My only complaint is the freezing low-vis water.:lol: