BajaNomad

The perfect boat?

fishbuck - 4-29-2008 at 12:24 PM

Check this out.

http://albinmarine.com/expresstrawler/expresstrawler.html

I've been checking boats and this looks good.

[Edited on 4-29-2008 by fishbuck]

vandenberg - 4-29-2008 at 12:48 PM

Fishbuck,

I can save the roosterfish just as well from my 22 ft panga and save...what..? $ 40.000.00 in the process.:biggrin::biggrin:

fishbuck - 4-29-2008 at 12:51 PM

Here's another. In kit form or even from plans.

Click on the Bel Aire 26 center console.

http://clarkcraft.com

fishbuck - 4-29-2008 at 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg
Fishbuck,

I can save the roosterfish just as well from my 22 ft panga and save...what..? $ 40.000.00 in the process.:biggrin::biggrin:

Ya, I was just dreaming a little.
I've been looking at boats. I saw a 28 foot mako when I was crossing the border. I looked it up when I got home and it was like $80,000. But it was beautiful.
If I can get my hands on a 21 foot Bayliner bowrider for about $5000 I'll fish and dive out of that or a while.
Probably fish about as well as a panga and more comfortable seats.
Most have a v8 so plenty of power.

Cypress - 4-29-2008 at 01:13 PM

The perfect boat?:?: :spingrin::tumble:

Hook - 4-29-2008 at 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fishbuck
Check this out.

http://albinmarine.com/expresstrawler/expresstrawler.html

I've been checking boats and this looks good.

[Edited on 4-29-2008 by fishbuck]

You dont want a straight shaft if'n you're gonna be using it out front of your place at Pedregal. You want sumpin that will tilt.

I think I'd take the responsiveness of an OB or an OD when crossing the bar out front with the rollers, too.

They do build great boats, though...........luv that 28.

sd - 4-29-2008 at 01:20 PM

Ahhh,

The perfect boat. That's the one that belongs to someone else, but I get invited along.

Next best is a rented panga with local captain on the East Cape.

I have owned two boats. My favorite was a 15 foot Hobie Power Skiff, 40 horse motor. It was small, a good close to shore ocean fisher, and had a very wet ride. Lots of fun.

Next was a 17 foot Whaler. Nice boat, and I tripled my investment when it was totaled while tied to a dock as I was having lunch. Thank you Allstate Insurance.

Hook - 4-29-2008 at 01:22 PM

Wouldnt the perfect boat have that babe in the YT and the dorado posts along a lounger seat?

Hell, it could be a, gulp, Bayliner!!

Don Alley - 4-29-2008 at 02:32 PM

I like these:

Pacific Boats

Bob and Susan - 4-29-2008 at 03:10 PM

i like ALL boats

fishbuck - 4-29-2008 at 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Alley
I like these:

Pacific Boats

Wow, nice!

Alan - 4-29-2008 at 05:28 PM

There is no such thing as the perfect boat. It is always a matter of compromises and your specific priorities.

Don Alley - 4-29-2008 at 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alan
There is no such thing as the perfect boat. It is always a matter of compromises and your specific priorities.

Nonsense.

boat.jpg - 9kB

AcuDoc - 4-29-2008 at 06:37 PM

Check out these

http://www.quintrex.com.au/

Pescador has one and loves it.

The perfect boat

TonyC - 4-29-2008 at 06:37 PM

Just like Baitcast's new fishing partner, they're all pretty, but in the end it comes down to preference, and options. No such thing as perfect.

fishbuck - 4-29-2008 at 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TonyC
Just like Baitcast's new fishing partner, they're all pretty, but in the end it comes down to preference, and options. No such thing as perfect.

Ya perfect is subjective for sure !

But the Albin comes close. Diesel power, completely flush deck. Excellent rough water speed.

What are the most important aspects of a Baja fishing boat?

Don Alley - 4-29-2008 at 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fishbuck

What are the most important aspects of a Baja fishing boat?

Safety
Fuel Economy (This will become increasingly important, I think)
Speed (You have to go farther, more often, to get to the fish)
Reliability (No Sea Tow)
Ability to launch and retrieve at low tide on poor ramps, or even no ramp

Alan - 4-29-2008 at 11:12 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Nonsense.

No Bait tank
No outriggers
No fish holds
NO RANGE
:lol::lol::lol:

Don Alley - 4-30-2008 at 06:54 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Nonsense.

No Bait tank
No outriggers
No fish holds
NO RANGE

Actually, it's a 22 footer piloted by leprechauns. :biggrin:

bajaguy - 4-30-2008 at 07:05 AM

The perfect boat.......is usually owned by somebody else!!!

wsdunc - 4-30-2008 at 12:09 PM

I have been interested in quintrex boats for a while now. Unfortunately it doesn't seem like there is any serious supply in the US. Occasionally one shows up on the boat trader, and Gandalfe Marine used to be listed as a dealer, but their website doesn't show a stock of quintrex.
A few years ago Quintrex opened a plant in the southeast, but closed it down.
Am I wrong, does anyone know of any active Quintrex dealers in the USA?

Russ - 4-30-2008 at 01:18 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Nonsense.

No Bait tank
No outriggers
No fish holds
NO RANGE

Actually, it's a 22 footer piloted by leprechauns. :biggrin:

Would that work for Lake Crowly (sp) opener?

Pescador - 4-30-2008 at 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wsdunc
I have been interested in quintrex boats for a while now. Unfortunately it doesn't seem like there is any serious supply in the US. Occasionally one shows up on the boat trader, and Gandalfe Marine used to be listed as a dealer, but their website doesn't show a stock of quintrex.
A few years ago Quintrex opened a plant in the southeast, but closed it down.
Am I wrong, does anyone know of any active Quintrex dealers in the USA?

You are right, this boat rules in the Sea of Cortez and I was so hopeful that they could get things together when they started a facility in the Southeast. The head company is from Australia and they just could not adjust to how manufacturing works in the United States, so they have moved the facility to British Columbia. If this boat was to receive the proper marketing, it would literally put Gregor and Klamath out of business, since it is built a little like a tank. I think the Pacific Boat is tank like too but in my humble opinion, it looks a little like a tank also. A friend of mine has one at Punta Chivato and I have run mine for the last 3 or 4 years and love it. Try www.quintrexboats.com and see if that does not give you the BC site. Gandolfe was a large dealer in New Jersey but I have not talked to him for awhile so I do not know if he is still selling the boat. We actually had a dealer in Colorado but he did not want to deal very much on the boat I bought so I ended up going to Florida to pick mine up from the same guys who occasionaly show one on the Boattraderonline. com. I have a 115 Yamaha and can go from San Bruno to Tortuga Island which is about a 70 mile round trip and I use about 12 gallons of gas and cruise about 26 to 28. If I kick it up to 35, she goes but burns a little more gas.

The dealer for North America is Ben Hanson who is in Kelowna, BC phone 12502604197, email is Quintrex@telus.net

[Edited on 4-30-2008 by Pescador]

Perfect Boat

bombero - 5-1-2008 at 06:41 AM

Two great things for the start of a perfect boat are "Reliable and Paid for.

Perfect Boat

Bob H - 5-1-2008 at 09:40 AM

Tiger Woods has the perfect boat if you ask me.... Bob H

http://www.powerandmotoryacht.com/megayachts/tiger-woods-yac...

Roberto - 5-1-2008 at 10:55 AM

This would be MY perfect boat if I could afford it:

http://www.nordhavn.com/55/overview.php4

I'd live aboard and travel the world.

With a 22'-26' center console as a tender, of course. :saint:

[Edited on 5-2-2008 by Roberto]

AcuDoc - 5-1-2008 at 03:14 PM

I used to crew on the Wild Goose, John Waynes boat. A 134 foot converted Navy minesweeper. We had two 17' boston whaler on board that we could wench down and use as fishing boats.

It was a pretty sweet boat!

Roberto - 5-1-2008 at 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by AcuDoc
We had two 17' boston whaler on board that we could wench down and use as fishing boats.

You had chicks putting your boats in the water? I guess the Duke could get those wenches to do just about anything. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Sorry, Doc, couldn't resist.:saint:

fishbuck - 5-1-2008 at 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bombero

Bingo! We have a winner.

Hook - 5-1-2008 at 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bombero

Heh, heh! He said "reliable" and "boat" in the same sentence.

Roberto - 5-1-2008 at 04:51 PM

Since we're resuscitating platitudes ...

Boat = Break Out Another Thousand.

and ...

Quote:
The two happiest days in a boat owner's life are the day they buy and the day they sell

[Edited on 5-1-2008 by Roberto]

fishbuck - 5-1-2008 at 05:13 PM

Former boat owner: The day I bought that boat was my second happiest!
Friend: What was the happiest day?
Former Boat Owner: The day I sold it!

[Edited on 5-2-2008 by fishbuck]

Capt. George - 5-3-2008 at 04:56 AM

For Baja, my Dusky

Pescador - 5-6-2008 at 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Capt. George
For Baja, my Dusky

Geez, George, is that boat for sale again?

Oso - 5-6-2008 at 03:59 PM

Roberto,
I'd be afraid to go to sea on that tub.

There's a hat on the bed!!!:o

Bad juju. Worse than bananas.

Roberto - 5-7-2008 at 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Oso
Bad juju. Worse than bananas.

Do you know the origin of that? In Italy, it comes from the fact that an officer's hat is placed on the bed when they die.

I've never spoken to an American who knew about this.

Bob and Susan - 5-7-2008 at 04:08 PM

roberto

i always heard it was because hair holds evil spirits:light:

this is belived because static electricity sparks in the hair
sparking occurs when you take a hat off....sometimes:biggrin:
if you HAVE hair:lol:

lots of older hats were lined with fur and static electricty was really bad ...

if a hat was placed on a bed the evil spirits could come out of it and go into the mattress and blankets... to attack later:lol::lol:

billgow - 5-10-2008 at 10:22 AM

If money was no object http://www.yachtpangaea.com/welcome.html

I heard Albin is no longer in business and that their 26’ CC was never as well built as the originals from Cape Cod Marine in S. Dennis, Massachusetts. http://www.capecodmarineinc.com/

Maybe Cape Cod Marine will begin making these again. These were very seaworthy offshore boats designed for long-range tuna fishing.

I a big fan of the eastern style boats, especially the Carolina flavor. If you’re thinking inboard diesel, I think the 24’ Albemarle is a better choice for many reasons. http://www.albemarleboats.com/trailerable/242CC.html

Oso - 5-10-2008 at 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by billgow
I a big fan of the eastern style boats, especially the Carolina flavor. If you’re thinking inboard diesel, I think the 24’ Albemarle is a better choice for many reasons. http://www.albemarleboats.com/trailerable/242CC.html

I heard one of those was for sale in SD not long ago...:lol:
(but not the same model)

[Edited on 5-10-2008 by Oso]

PERFECT BOAT? NO - BUT IT GOES ANYWHERE

rob - 5-15-2008 at 01:33 PM

I bought a 15´Klamath and designed a trailer for it (thanks US Marines) with one object - to be able to go anywhere in Baja by road, and launch it.

The Klamath was the largest boat I could get and not compromise the objective - it has been great. The motor not so (through no fault of its own). I bought a 40HP Yamaha because it was the largest the USCG would allow - although why the USCG meddles with motor choices is less clear.

40HP is NOT powerful enough to safely surf launch where we live on the Pacific Coast - 12 foot breakers are present if not daily, at least often. Also, with hindsight - do NOT buy tilt-control if you are going to surf launch - it is dangerous and can potantially tear the motor off the boat if you hit the bottom hard enough.

Yet the boat (with a second 15HP Suzuki for backup) takes us out to the Lusitania Banks (sshhh) 35 miles out.

My next boat is a 22foot panga with either 70 or 95HP Yamaha - the perfect surf-launch boat.

010122-Boat-at-El-Centenari.jpg - 16kB

rob - 5-15-2008 at 01:35 PM

I couldnt get both shots together . . .

surf-launch.jpg - 13kB

Cypress - 5-15-2008 at 01:41 PM

rob, You've got the right idea about this boat business.:)

Capt. George - 5-15-2008 at 03:36 PM

Dusky sold it will reside in it's new home in Loreto.

Short time in the summer in Ojos, no need for the Dusky, beach fishing and use my 12 ft Duroboat.............

for sale, not for sale, for sale, not for sale....it happens when you love a boat...not the first time for me though...lotsa years, lotsa boats.

Alan - 5-16-2008 at 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Roberto

and ...

Quote:
The two happiest days in a boat owner's life are the day they buy and the day they sell

Can't forget Broken Or About To

Alan - 5-16-2008 at 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Roberto

and ...

Quote:

This only applies up to about a 40 footer. After that BOAT must be spelled with 2- T's - Break Out Another Ten Thousand

AcuDoc - 5-18-2008 at 02:49 PM

I have a 16.5' Klamath center console w/50hp 4 stroke that I bought from Pescador about 5 years ago. Of course I have modified it to suit my needs and I love this boat.

I have had no trouble launching it anywhere and to date have not had to use the "baja wheel" on my trailer.

I've fished to from La Ventana to San Lucas Cove, San Marcos to Tortuga (40 miles out) and gone 30-35 miles out chasing tuna launching in San Carlos.

My view is for Baja get the biggest boat that you can launch by yourself over sand, rock etc, and you will do fine. I started with a 12' porta-bote w/10hp, then a 15' Gregor w/25hp and now the Klamath. What I like about Pescadors Quintrex is it a tin boat so easier to launch in baja. Plus I like Jim and believe him when he says it rides great in the SOC

At some point I would like a bigger boat, don't we all, probably a 19-21 foot. Maybe I'll buy Pescadors Quintrex when he goes bigger...lol

[Edited on 5-18-2008 by AcuDoc]

[Edited on 5-19-2008 by AcuDoc]

beachbum1A - 5-19-2008 at 09:37 AM

You guys got it all wrong; the perfect boat is one that will get me to the fish in safety (and back home) and allow me a large enough platform to fish from when the action gets heated!
That's it- nothing else. :yes:

Don't forget 'easy-out, easy-in'

Pompano - 5-19-2008 at 10:05 AM

These hot days require a little dunking now and then.

Perfection in a boat is a nice fantasy, but give me a good bait tank anyday...also dog, senorita, lunch, beer, XM radio, sonar, shade, barber chair, ...................................well, you see where it will lead...

Those fish in the fishwell are thee best tasting you will ever find.....period.

[Edited on 5-19-2008 by Pompano]

- 0 0 the perfect boat 3.jpg - 48kB

Skipjack Joe - 5-19-2008 at 12:08 PM

So what are they? Walleyes?

Last summer I saw a brown leech next to my float tube that, I swear, was 9 inches long.

Pompano - 5-19-2008 at 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
So what are they? Walleyes?

Last summer I saw a brown leech next to my float tube that, I swear, was 9 inches long.

Yes, Igor...they are walleyes, and of a nice normal size for the dinner table..and..they make for some truly great shore lunches.

As opposed to this monster....which is WAY too big. ;D

..actually probably smaller than your leech!

- 0 a walleyewhopper-not.JPG - 28kB

The Perfect Boat....well, maybe..

Pompano - 5-19-2008 at 12:43 PM

The boat below is a close 'perfect boat' for me when seriously fishing. I like tiller boats for keeping on structure, controlled movement, and open c-ckpit..no center console.

But...this is mostly an Up North large lake or river boat, rather than open sea. Having said that, I have used this dry-riding, unsinkable boat to fish the Cortez in all kinds of weather and high seas...from pintos at 300 feet to speed-trolling marlin and dorado feathers at 15 knots and 35 miles out. I have brought fish into it from Alaska -across all of Canada - and thru the States to Baja.

It's a good all-round fishing platform, but thank Neptune there are lots of choices out there.

Oh...and a nice barber's chair to make your day comfy.;D

Just my preference in a 'fishing boat'....now, if we're talking c-cktails or 'sleeping', that's a different story.

opps..forgot the photo..here ya go.

[Edited on 5-19-2008 by Pompano]

- 0 a boatforwalleyes (Small).jpg - 49kB

Take your pick.

Pompano - 5-21-2008 at 03:37 PM

A trio is out front right now.

- 0 COYOTE CASA May 21, 2008 011 (Custom).jpg - 47kB

Don Alley - 5-21-2008 at 05:09 PM

This one is anchored off Loreto now. It belongs to Montanan Dennis Washington. He has two; the other one is much bigger, over 300'. But I think this nice little one will do nicely, with it's fleet of big inflatables.

Some people from the boat ordered a bunch of tacos from Caesar's today, but we were disappointed that the helo did not swoop down to pick them up.:no: :lol:

attessa.jpg - 42kB

AcuDoc - 5-21-2008 at 07:19 PM

Isn't that hard to troll or fish live bait?

Nice vessel, Don.

Pompano - 5-21-2008 at 07:53 PM

I let Felipa pick her own a couple years ago.

'
It's truly amazing how distorted images are over water...

Don Alley - 5-21-2008 at 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by AcuDoc
Isn't that hard to troll or fish live bait?

No problem. It comes with a small fleet of 24' inflatable center consoles.

And someone can play the piano in the fish-cleaning room:

attessa-ILOB.jpg - 46kB

Capt. George - 5-22-2008 at 02:27 AM

seeing as how that yacht is so flashy, ya think the banditos will get them?

Especially if they run at night!

Pescador - 5-22-2008 at 09:14 AM

Yep, and I can see the fish blood on the carpets. Guess the maid did a lousy cleaning job on the fish.