BajaNomad

Netting Dorado in Loreto

bill erhardt - 4-30-2008 at 06:20 AM

Yesterday I came across this old wooden tender trailing what appeared to be a gill net about 35 miles outside the marina at Loreto and 6 miles NNE of Isla Catalana where dorado are streaming up the Sea of Cortez. I trolled around the tender/net and caught a couple of 10 -12 pound peanuts.

4-29-08seiner (Medium).jpg - 49kB

bill erhardt - 4-30-2008 at 06:31 AM

I was targeting marlin, but would have gladly accepted one of the big bulls that are now in the area. My total for the day, however, was 3 dorado, none over 12#. Another private boater fishing a little further south caught some 35 pound class fish. I saw one other boat fishing the area, the first I have seen in 5 or 6 trips looking for pelagics. It was a private panga skippered by the redoubtable Andres Cota. I told them about the netter. They headed that way and later got the skunk out of the boat. Who knows how big those fish are by this morning. This peanut was not at all intimidated by a marlin feather.

4-29-08dodo (Small).jpg - 40kB

bill erhardt - 4-30-2008 at 06:36 AM

When I spotted this tortuga yesterday afternoon I at first thought it was dead. It was only sound asleep, however. Probably gorged on the jellyfish abundant in the area and sleeping it off.

4-29-08tortuga (Small)93.JPG - 49kB

4baja - 4-30-2008 at 06:38 AM

that boat looks like a future ship wreck!

Diver - 4-30-2008 at 06:45 AM

If I can't be fishing in Baja right now, I'm glad you are !!
Thanks for sharing your great pictures and stories !!

Iflyfish - 4-30-2008 at 07:48 AM

Like being there! Great Pics amigo!

Iflyfish

tripledigitken - 4-30-2008 at 08:09 AM

Thanks again for sharing Bill. You are living the life that's for sure!:cool:

Ken

bacquito - 5-1-2008 at 08:45 AM

Thanks for the photos. I gather that it is illegal to net Dorado.

Russ - 5-1-2008 at 09:06 AM

I am probably wrong because I just haven't been able to understand what the regulations really are, but I always thought that it was illegal to target dorado for commercial sales. Then along came Norma and the sale of the by-catch was legal. Of course if there isn't any regulation enforcement what does it mater? Very sad!

Blue Marlin Jig

LaTijereta - 5-1-2008 at 09:23 PM

Bill,
Your getting alot of mileage on that blue marlin jig:o
I seem to see to that in alot of your images..:biggrin:

bill erhardt - 5-2-2008 at 05:53 AM

LaTijereta....... Yes, bright blue and black with maybe some white, flying fish colors, is good for both marlin and dorado, although the dorado are spitting up squid at the boat right now. That one is made my ALlure in Mexico City. Arturo Locht of ALlure came up with the original petrolero, brown, black, silver and orange, color scheme. Yesterday I caught 13 dorado, about half on a cedar plug I had back in the center hoping for yellowfin. The biggest of the day, a 34 pounder, took a petrolero.

Bloody Decks

bill erhardt - 5-2-2008 at 06:44 AM

It is good to tranquilize a dorado intended for the table before you bring him aboard, and then pop him right in the fishbox. Sometimes it doesn't work out like that, however. This 25 pounder that bit on a cedar plug made a bit of a mess.

maydaydodo (Small)90.JPG - 49kB

Russ - 5-2-2008 at 07:17 AM

A good spray of cheap tequila in the gills before you put it in the boat will settle your frisky dorado right down quickly.

bill erhardt - 5-2-2008 at 07:39 AM

Damn! I thought I was supposed to drink that shot of tequila.

vandenberg - 5-2-2008 at 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ
A good spray of cheap tequila in the gills before you put it in the boat will settle your frisky dorado right down quickly.

Is that after you tell him to hold still ?:?::?::biggrin::biggrin:

Don Alley - 5-2-2008 at 09:18 AM

A captain I fished with in Zihuatenejo used beer. Just poured it in the fish's mouth, over the gills, and then put the docile dorado in the fish box. These were big dorado, too.

But on one fish it didn't work; it jumped the gaff and got loose in the boat. Exciting. :lol:

I'll be out tomorrow, fishing in a rumored Governor's Cup tourney. Officially (I saw the poster), sign up is today, fishing tomorrow, but there is a rumor that it's been postponed. They seemed to be setting up some kind of an event at the marina this morning. Either way, we fish.

Maybe the rumor was an attempt to limit competition?

LaTijereta - 5-3-2008 at 08:59 PM

"rumor" Me thinks so...:biggrin: