BajaNomad

Tecate

dr650 - 5-9-2008 at 06:34 PM

I understand that the crossing at Tecate opens at 5:00 am. Does anyone know if you can get a tourist card that early, or do you have to wait until later that morning.

Tecate

Udo - 5-9-2008 at 06:41 PM

Your best bet for a quick tourist card is to go to www.discoverbaja.com. Become a member ($39.00), fax them your US passport copy, pay the fees (around $20.00 for the papers), and have them mailed to you. Or you may go in person to the Discover Baja office in San Diego.

BajaWarrior - 5-9-2008 at 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by udowinkler
Your best bet for a quick tourist card is to go to www.discoverbaja.com. Become a member ($39.00), fax them your US passport copy, pay the fees (around $20.00 for the papers), and have them mailed to you. Or you may go in person to the Discover Baja office in San Diego.

That is conveniant if your a member, but you still HAVE to validate the FM-T (tourist card) upon entering Mexico.

Baja&Back - 5-9-2008 at 10:36 PM

Quote:

Nothing against Discover Baja, but $45 EXTRA just for an FMT?? I'd rather pay that Migracion ******** in Ensenada 5 bucks extra.

Don't know the answer to the original question, but you can get (and pay for) an FMT 24/7 at San Ysidro, Tijuana.

[Edited on 5-11-2008 by Hose A]

805gregg - 5-10-2008 at 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaWarrior
Quote:

That is conveniant if your a member, but you still HAVE to validate the FM-T (tourist card) upon entering Mexico.

I showed them my Tousist Card (from Discover) at the border and the just waved me on. At GN they stamped it no problem, you don't need to even show it at the border.

[Edited on 5-10-2008 by 805gregg]

rts551 - 5-10-2008 at 07:17 AM

Border opens at 6:00AM. Immigration usually not there that early but sometimes as early as 7.

dr650 - 5-10-2008 at 07:21 AM

Thanks, all. Tell me, is the Tecate immigration office open on Sundays? I imagine that the bank across the street is closed on Sundays. So what's the best way to work all that?

fdt - 5-10-2008 at 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dr650
So what's the best way to work all that?

Cross thru Tijuana :light:

Gadget - 5-10-2008 at 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Baja&Back
Quote:

Nothing against Discover Baja, but $45 EXTRA just for an FMT?? I'd rather pay that Migracion ******** in Ensenada 5 bucks extra.

Don't know the answer to the original question, but you can get (and pay for) an FMT 24/7 at San Ysidro, Tijuana.

I don't know about Discover Baja
There is a trip report thread that indicates you cannot get an FMT in Ensendad.
The IM office at TJ hours are 7 to 12 and 2 to 5 last time we were through in Oct. for one, this based on the Bank hours to pay for it.

[Edited on 5-11-2008 by Hose A]

dr650 - 5-10-2008 at 02:32 PM

Ok. Maybe it's Tijuana for me. But "Baja and Back" say the FMT / bank at the crossing is 24/7, while Gadget says it opened at 7:00 am. Can someone clarify?

DENNIS - 5-10-2008 at 04:21 PM

Quote:
Ok. Maybe it's Tijuana for me. But "Baja and Back" say the FMT / bank at the crossing is 24/7, while Gadget says it opened at 7:00 am. Can someone clarify?

No....Nobody here can clarify because nobody here knows what the Mexican time schedule is for any particular day.
Why don't you just plan to hit the border at what we would consider business hours and conduct your stuff in comfort, then hit the road. Quit trying to organize Baja around your needs. Organize your needs around Baja. It's a unique schedule.

dr650 - 5-10-2008 at 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

No....Nobody here can clarify because nobody here knows what the Mexican time schedule is for any particular day.
Why don't you just plan to hit the border at what we would consider business hours and conduct your stuff in comfort, then hit the road. Quit trying to organize Baja around your needs. Organize your needs around Baja. It's a unique schedule.

dr650 - 5-10-2008 at 06:45 PM

Sorry. I didn't know there were rules around asking questions on the "questions and answers board." Maybe, since you're God, you could post 'em for everyone.

bajaguy - 5-10-2008 at 07:03 PM

Quote:
Sorry. I didn't know there were rules around asking questions on the "questions and answers board." Maybe, since you're God, you could post 'em for everyone.

It's not a rule, it's a suggestion, and a very good one. Baja moves at Baja time. There are no "simple" answers for many Baja questions.

bajamigo - 5-10-2008 at 07:29 PM

So where's the complexity in dr650's question?

dr650 - 5-10-2008 at 07:44 PM

It's amazing how some people can sit back and hold court without knowing what's going on. You know, without knowing the back-story. And they're so quick to jump to the safest, or worst, conclusions.

I understand all about "baja moving on baja time." Got it long ago. Kind of like bowel movements, huh? (Sorry, couldn't resist) But sometimes, every now and then but not too often, you find yourself in a situation where you gotta pull out the maps, furrow the brow, and then set the alarm clock. I understand you're not aware of all the facts, but this one's just a little different, Bullwinkle. OK ??

Thanks to everyone who offered their best. Time to go. Happy Trails.

vgabndo - 5-10-2008 at 08:32 PM

Hey DR, are you riding the DR? Assuming you get Dennis' permission.:lol::lol:

dr650 - 5-10-2008 at 09:22 PM

Yes, indeedie, Vagabundo. And I don't need no permission for that. Stay safe.

fdt - 5-10-2008 at 09:30 PM

Quote:

It should be 24/7 if you decide on Tijuana. Have a safe trip.

oxxo - 5-11-2008 at 08:05 AM

I pass through the Tecate crossing frequently. I always pass through around 8 am. Immigration officer has been in his office everytime, at that time. If the bank across the street is closed (and it has been sometimes in the middle of the week with no explanation and always on Sunday), the immigration officer will stamp my visa with a note I haven't paid. He has told me to pay at my destination (Los Cabos in my case) as soon as I get there. I have done that with no problems.

I believe the immigration office in Tecate opens at 6am. If I crossed at that time and the officer wasn't there yet, I suppose I would wander around town, buy some coffee and relax until he arrived. I would be on Baja time.

HotSchott - 5-11-2008 at 08:57 AM

Classic Nomad Dialogue

Bullwinkle!!!!

Quack Quack Quack:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Gadget - 5-11-2008 at 02:48 PM

Here ya go:
http://www.discoverbajacalifornia.com/permits/visitor_card.h...
for tourist card info, fees, locations, banks, hours

Sorry, if I was going to answer, I should have answered it with fact, not from memory or opinion. My bad.

oxxo - 5-11-2008 at 04:11 PM

The website is inaccurate with regards to the Tecate crossing. I don't believe it is open 24 hours, neither the crossing or the immigration office.

David K - 5-12-2008 at 08:54 AM

Tijuana has a 24/7 INM office and a bank teller for (only for) payment of the tax/ fee for the FM-T... IF you don't find either office manned on the side facing the secondary parking, then walk through the hallway next to the row of offices and check the side facing the PEDESTRIAN entrance into Mexico.

Payment at a bank (further south), on a later day has been permitted. This is less risky than before because the newer rule is 7 days or less in Mexico does not require a PAID FM-T, just a free one... However, I am unclear if it is a different form for 7 days vs. 180 days...?

I say risky because until it is paid and has the final stamp, it would not be valid... and finding an INM office open or friendly south of the border may not be easy or convenient... like the one in Ensenada!

Gadget - 5-12-2008 at 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by oxxo
The website is inaccurate with regards to the Tecate crossing. I don't believe it is open 24 hours, neither the crossing or the immigration office.

What any of us believe, or know from the above site or any other base of information for Mexico is all subject to change without notice.

As stated before on this thread, you cannot plan anything with total certainty when heading south. Just go and enjoy life at a different pace.

DENNIS - 5-12-2008 at 03:51 PM

Quote:

Tourists, such as you, bring an arrogant attitude to Baja. Why don't you accept help as it is and quit being so offensive?
Screw you drwhatever and your pals Perry and Corky. You're all tourists and can't tell me chiit. I live here and you all treat my home as your backyard.
Don't attack me for anything, especially for trying to give advice. You arn't allowed to do that as guests to my home.

DENNIS - 5-12-2008 at 04:48 PM

I will bump this ad infinitum. You will not attack me without seeing my response and my wrath for your nonsense. Question me..rebut me but, don't slander or take me as one of your naughty children.
Come back here and discuss this.

Tecate crossing

Udo - 5-12-2008 at 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 805gregg
Quote:
Originally posted by BajaWarrior
Quote:

I showed them my Tousist Card (from Discover) at the border and the just waved me on. At GN they stamped it no problem, you don't need to even show it at the border.

[Edited on 5-10-2008 by 805gregg]

The point of the Discover Baja membership is the benefits that are included with it. I personally plan ahead, get my FM-T in the mail, and head down Baja Sur when the time comes. If I have to fly to La Paz, that is one less hassle with the airlines.
In other words...getting the FM-T ahead of time is a huge bonus regardless if it is $20, $50, or $100 extra. The time savings is worth it, let alone the possibility of getting one's car stolen or broken into while parked for 1-1/2 hours at the aduana in TJ.
We all belong to this forum to help one another. Some of us benefit by reading the posts. Many others benefit by knowing that we helped someone that was less knowlegeable in the south-of-the-border way of doing things. As many members have wisely written...when we come to Baja, we are on BAJA time and BAJA'S rules, and we, as visitors, have to adjust to that. If the visitor is on a tight schedule, you ain't gonna have a good time, only frustrations!

DENNIS - 5-12-2008 at 05:46 PM

AMEN...

David K - 5-12-2008 at 05:50 PM

Dear udo,

I am glad you are now a Nomad and have lot's of energy to post information... You know I do that too... However, if I ever make an error or even mis-type, I get climbed all over!

You being the new guy may get some slack from the forum N-zis here!?!

However, if you don't mind, I would like to give my observations on this part of your post:

"In other words...getting the FM-T ahead of time is a huge bonus regardless if it is $20, $50, or $100 extra. The time savings is worth it, let alone the possibility of getting one's car stolen or broken into while parked for 1-1/2 hours at the aduana in TJ."

1) The FM-T you get ahead of arriving in Mexico (at Discover Baja or other places) may be paid for, but you MUST stop at the border and get it stamped! It's the migra's stamp not the bank stamp that is on the Discover Baja sold tourist cards, that you must get added to the card.

2) The time to walk six doors down from the INM office to the bank teller to pay the fee is just seconds to minutes (if there is a line).

3) Your car is parked in the secondary inspection area full of federal officers and the time you will be parked there will be about 10 minutes +/-, so no chance of break in or a 1 1/2 hour wait.

Again, I want any new Baja travelers to know that the pre-paid Tourist Cards (FM-Ts) are NOT VALID until you stop when entering Mexico and go to the INM office (on the far right, facing the secondary ('Something to Declare') parking area to have them stamped...

Since you have to stop there anyway, paying for a card is not any real extra time or effort... the special teller for payment of the fee is about 6 doors down from the INM office (where you pick up the blank forms).

Where getting a prepaid FM-T is real helpful is when you are going to enter Mexico at any other border than Tijuana, that doesn't have a 24/7 bank teller.

[Edited on 5-13-2008 by David K]

FM-T

Udo - 5-12-2008 at 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Dear udo,

I am glad you are now a Nomad and have lot's of energy to post information... You know I do that too... However, if I ever make an error or even mis-type, I get climbed all over!

You being the new guy may get some slack from the forum N-zis here!?!

However, if you don't mind, I would like to give my observations on this part of your post:

"In other words...getting the FM-T ahead of time is a huge bonus regardless if it is $20, $50, or $100 extra. The time savings is worth it, let alone the possibility of getting one's car stolen or broken into while parked for 1-1/2 hours at the aduana in TJ."

1) The FM-T you get ahead of arriving in Mexico (at Discover Baja or other places) may be paid for, but you MUST stop at the border and get it stamped! It's the migra's stamp not the bank stamp that is on the Discover Baja sold tourist cards, that you must get added to the card.

2) The time to walk six doors down from the INM office to the bank teller to pay the fee is just seconds to minutes (if there is a line).

3) Your car is parked in the secondary inspection area full of federal officers and the time you will be parked there will be about 10 minutes +/-, so no chance of break in or a 1 1/2 hour wait.

Again, I want any new Baja travelers to know that the pre-paid Tourist Cards (FM-Ts) are NOT VALID until you stop when entering Mexico and go to the INM office (on the far right, facing the secondary ('Something to Declare') parking area to have them stamped...

Since you have to stop there anyway, paying for a card is not any real extra time or effort... the special teller for payment of the fee is about 6 doors down from the INM office (where you pick up the blank forms).

Where getting a prepaid FM-T is real helpful is when you are going to enter Mexico at any other border than Tijuana, that doesn't have a 24/7 bank teller.

[Edited on 5-13-2008 by David K]

Hola, David...or DAHVID!

I really appreciate your kind feelings & words. It's encouraging to find others who have been members as long as you and can post helpful notes on BAJA on almost a moment's notice.
I belong to several other Mexico User Groups, and I am considering un-subscribing myself to the other sites, and just devote my time to the BAJANOMAD group. I can see that many of you have way more time than I have, and can devote it as you see fit. And as I feel it within this site, you are a terrific group of people worthy of admiration from the Mexican citizens, and perhaps one day be recognized for your work by our second country...Mexico.

David K - 5-12-2008 at 06:27 PM

Very cool amigo... welcome aboard!!

BajaWarrior - 5-12-2008 at 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gadget
Here ya go:
http://www.discoverbajacalifornia.com/permits/visitor_card.h...
for tourist card info, fees, locations, banks, hours

Sorry, if I was going to answer, I should have answered it with fact, not from memory or opinion. My bad.

Ok, your gonna love this one, because it's been discussed and people have had poo flung at them over it.

I quote from the bottom of the page Gadget provided:

"To ease the entrance by land, the payment can be done every 6 months, being able to enter and exit Mexico several times during this period."

I always thought that was a Baja no-no...

Jack Swords - 5-12-2008 at 06:45 PM

As a rare reader and poster to Nomads, but over 125 trips down the peninsula, I have to endorse David's directions and info regarding entering at TJ (San Ysidro) Been driving down since the early '80s and entering at San Ysidro at 5- 6 AM, parking at the Declaration area, walking down to the immigration office to get the FMT, returning to the bank to pay, then back to immigration to get the final stamp. The entire process takes less than 10 minutes. The immigration folks are not in the little office by the bank, but having coffee in the main office by the pedestrian turnstile before opening the office next to the bank. Their offices (bank and immigration) have been open 24/7 at least since the 80's by my personal experience. We do not cross at Tecate as they open later than we want to cross. We spend 6 months in BCS, then return through Tecate (gentle adjustment to CA). We have experienced nothing but friendliness and courtesy crossing at San Ysidro.

vivaloha - 5-12-2008 at 09:55 PM

True enough - TJ crossing works at all hours but there is STRESS...
not so much stress in getting the documentation and stamps but
stress in the whole TJ vibe / the stories / the cuota road / the whole
war zone the place has turned into recently....I'm so over TJ on the
way in and the way out...I just try to make time for a peaceful and
mellow in and out in Tecate and add the hours on to the trip for down
the track...Now, the original person who wanted to know how early Tecate
border crossing opens in order to get his papeles all stamped up probably gets
the idea...its about 6ish or 7ish...if he can swing the wait, then by all means,
TAKE TECATE on the way out and the way back home....Its super mellow, sleepy,
mexi-happy, chill zone town...IF YOU CANT WAIT then GO THROUGH THE BEAST
of TJ, travel by daylight DAYLIGHT DAYLIGHT, not pre-dawn dark and not dusky dusky dark...
DAYLIGHT...TJ by DAYLIGHT...like another guy said, 6am - la madrugada - and its probably
gonna be all good...If you gotta mission like that due to time constraints and such then
its just gonna be one of those hurried up, gringo jammer type of trips, where common sense
and patience are a scarity...just consider what kind of trip you really want, what type of
risks you want to take, how much stress you want to allow yourself, and then head for
the border crossing you need...I try to take my time, avoid risks, and avoid stress - hence
TECATE...

Pescador - 5-13-2008 at 06:51 AM

Since we come through Arizona, we always stop in Algodones for shopping for prescriptions, glasses, and dental so we always stop in and have our FMT's stamped by immigration. That night we camp in Portrero State Park and we never stop, unless for inspection, at Tecate.
We have crossed at Otay and Tijuana a couple of times but my wife says she would rather eat thumbtacks than ever drive that part of California again and go through the madhouse of driving in San Diego, crossing, and then facing the confusion of Tijuana.
Now that we have FM3's it is no longer an issue and the Tecate crossing is easy and painless.

Pompano - 5-13-2008 at 10:07 AM

dr650 wrote:.."I understand that the crossing at Tecate opens at 5:00 am. Does anyone know if you can get a tourist card that early, or do you have to wait until later that morning?"

dr650.. Yes, the border crossing at Tecate is closed from 11 PM to 5 AM (this was effective as of September, 2007). I will double-check the hours for 2008 in a couple days...as we all know things change from time to time. I will also ask about the availability of tourist visas and bank fees at those hours.

More info on Tecate:

When you want to avoid Tijuana or are driving from the east, then Tecate is where you catch Mexican Route 3 south to Ensenada.

The road to Ensenada is easily found .. a pleasant 1 or 2 blocks east, then south, from the border crossing. The drive from Tecate to Ensenada is a lovely one over the coastal mountains and wine country. Very relaxing with frequent opportunities to stop and browse wineries, eat, shop, etc. The road intersects the coast road, Hwy 1, just north of Ensenada.

Crossing north at Tecate: I drove north from Ensenada to cross the border at Tecate about a month ago. My afternoon crossing took 15-20 minutes...just long enough to enjoy a cute dog-act working the waiting vehicles. Polite and quick US Customs experience.

For me, there is no comparison between TJ/Otay Mesa and Tecate. I choose Tecate for the last 30-some years for a variety of reasons. Not the least of which is, as vivaloha points out, there is NO STRESS involved in a Tecate crossing as compared to the bustling, trouble-prone Tijuana/Otay Mesa crossings.

Another reason for Tecate: The Portrero campground. I usually dawdle-camp the 2200+ miles from up north to southern California. I also haul needed stuff for Baja in the RV.. plus it then becomes a private guestroom for Baja visitors. It's a bonus to find another well-managed campsite, like Portrero, away from the busy cities. We usually spend 2-3 days there...sorting our stateside shopping and prepping for the Baja Road.

Like Pescador, I find that the Portrero campground is convenient also. It's located just a few miles north of the Tecate crossing. It seems to be open even after last year's fires. Call 877/565-3600 M-F 8-5, for reservation. or www.sdparks.org open 9:30 am to sunset

This park has a quiet and peaceful country atmosphere. A good place to organize that final packing.;)

- 0.jpg - 44kB