BajaNomad

New Restaurant in Vizcaino

DianaT - 5-14-2008 at 10:52 AM

There is a brand new, very good restaurant in Vizcaino. It just opened about a week ago.

It is a small place located on the road to Tortugas and Bahia Asuncion about 1/2 mile from the split. Yes, you have to leave the main highway, but it is worth it!

It is owned by Mariano, who also has the Comex store right next door, and Armando who used to be the chef at the La Pinta in San Ignacio. We were told by another friend that Armando has won prizes for his cooking in Baja. It is easy to tell which one is the chef. :lol: And Maria

As you can see, John was not waiting for me to finish taking pictures.

Our lunch and they were GREAT. Only thing we would like better is hotter salsa---it is quite tame

They do not serve beer, but you can walk next door, buy beer and drink it there. Also, it is not fast food, but then again, neither are the other two main restaurants in town.

We really hope you will try it because we want to be able to continue to eat there and worry that the location is not the best. It would be better on the main highway.

Well, I am not very happy with the pix, so soon we have to return to try breakfast and so I can take more pix. :spingrin::spingrin:

BTW---we have found that if you buy the better grades of Comex paint, it is very good, and Mariano in Vizcanio is a really nice person.

Vizaino is not just a place to speed through----good places there.

Diane

[Edited on 5-14-2008 by jdtrotter]

rts551 - 5-14-2008 at 11:05 AM

Diane's comment about Vizcaino is right on. Most people treat it as a speed bump. We enjoyed exploring it for many years. We will have to try the new restaurant soon!

Iflyfish - 5-14-2008 at 11:08 AM

Mouth watering as I look at those great images!
Iflyfish

bajajudy - 5-14-2008 at 11:43 AM

More drool on my keyboard!
I hate it when the gringo-ize the salsa....I like it HOT:fire:

The last time we came through Vizcaino, we stopped at Oasis which has always been good.....it was the grossest hamburger I have ever tried to eat. I will go back to the tortas and forget the burgers. Pretty good french fries though.
Provecho

DianaT - 5-14-2008 at 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajajudy
More drool on my keyboard!
I hate it when the gringo-ize the salsa....I like it HOT:fire:

Provecho

Next time we will ask about hotter salsa, but it was more in the Spanish tradition which is not usually hot.

Maybe we will sneak in some pepper sauce to spice it up. :lol::lol:

Diane and John

David K - 5-14-2008 at 05:04 PM

Nice report... a great way to discover new places to try... thank you!

PS Has anyone asked Chef Armando if he is related to Joseph Stalin?

Bob H - 5-14-2008 at 07:01 PM

Diane, great photos and a very nice post you've made. Hopefully more business for these hard working people because of your words and photos here.
Thanks,
Bob H

DianaT - 5-15-2008 at 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
Diane, great photos and a very nice post you've made. Hopefully more business for these hard working people because of your words and photos here.
Thanks,
Bob H

We sure hope so for selfish reasons---we like it! We told them they need at least a sign on the main highway.

David, Chef Armando does have very piercing, but beautiful light green eyes---cannot remember the color of old Joe's eyes, but they were also pierceing. :lol::lol:

But Armando is super nice and friendly.

David K - 5-15-2008 at 05:28 PM

That's good to hear... any other likeness to Joe, beyond looks would be scary!:D