BajaNomad

Barbacoa Blvd. 2000

Gypsy Jan - 5-17-2008 at 05:51 PM

This is my transcription of a front page article from the new (Volume 1 – 2) Baja Chronicle, a bilingual newspaper, i.e., the articles are printed in English and Spanish. I wasn’t able to find a website, so I am excerpting the article and no author was credited.

Barbacoa Blvd. 2000

“11.5 miles from Fox Studios…In a countryside setting, out in the middle of nowhere on the way to Tijuana via the new road from Fox Studios to Tijuana’s Otay Mesa neighborhoods sits this wonderful place to enjoy lamb prepared in the style of the State of Hidalgo.

Under huge rustic canopies with a dozen or more picnic tables, the Castelán family and employees offer lamb cooked in an underground oven “barbacoa” in the tradition of the State of Hidalgo. The delicious lamb, and on weekends, the suckling pig can be ordered by the kilo or by individual tacos until you can determine what your favourite cuts are. The ribs were incredible as was the “chamorro de puerco” and chicken “chayote”.

The feedings begin in the late morning and generally end in the early afternoon. When the meat runs out, it’s time to close. Everything you eat is fresh, no left-overs here. It gets crowded on weekends but they’re set-up and organized to handle it. Just beware, don’t go too late in the day as they sometimes run out of grub before 3:00 pm.

There is a juke box and on weekends an entertainer and his guitar, Carlitos “El Inquieto,” from Las Vegas…”

[Edited on 5-18-2008 by Gypsy Jan]

[Edited on 5-19-2008 by Gypsy Jan]

DENNIS - 5-17-2008 at 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy Jan
The feedings begin in the late morning and generally end in the early afternoon.

I wonder if they toss your meal at you over a fence.

Just kiddin. I can't remember seeing anything like this or any other eating establishment on the 2000 road. I wonder exactly where it is.

Gypsy Jan - 5-17-2008 at 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
The feedings begin in the late morning and generally end in the early afternoon.

I wonder if they toss your meal at you over a fence.

Just kiddin. I can't remember seeing anything like this or any other eating establishment on the 2000 road. I wonder exactly where it is.

Dennis, if my reading comprehension isn't being interfered with by ADD, the article states that they are 11.5 miles from Fox Studios or "a solos 18 kns. de los estudios de Fox", which indicates to me that if you are heading towards TJ, they are on the right hand side of the road when you reach that distance.

[Edited on 5-18-2008 by Gypsy Jan]

DENNIS - 5-17-2008 at 06:21 PM

Quote:

Dennis, if my reading comprehension isn't being interfered with by ADD, the article states that they are 11.5 miles from Fox Studios or "a solos 18 kns. de los estudios de Fox", which indicates to me that if you are heading towards TJ, they are on the right hand side of the road when you reach that distance.

Yeah, Jan, I saw that part. It just seems to me that there is nothing but construction on that road until you take the Otay turn-off and I was thinking the turn-off is well over 11.5 miles up the road.
I don't know. Next time, I'll look for it.

bajaguy - 5-17-2008 at 06:27 PM

There are various "family business" turnouts on Blvd 2000. I will be sure to keep my eyes peeled for this place and my windows rolled down.......maybe even jump the median when I am S/B....... sounds great!!!!

Oso - 5-17-2008 at 07:37 PM

Definitely want to find this place. My wife is from Hidalgo and we both miss this style of barbacoa, usually pit cooked underground, lamb covered with pencas de maguey.

fdt - 5-17-2008 at 08:03 PM

Must be Valle de las Palmas.

ElFaro - 5-17-2008 at 09:53 PM

Gipsy Jan...

I know exactly where this place is...I have passed it many times heading back to Tecate via Blvd 2000. Everytime I go by the place it is packed with mexicans (no gringos). I am towing a trailer everytime and find it difficult to find an empty spot long enough to pull over. Next time I will stop in and give an update of their "cordero barbacoa". BTW...I don't think it is in Valle de las Palmas.

bajaguy - 5-17-2008 at 09:57 PM

Photos, please ElFaro........