BajaNomad

Checked by Mexican Navy While Fishing Off La Salina

howat - 5-19-2008 at 03:30 PM

Last week drove my boat down from San Diego to Puerto Marina Salina via water. Easy cruise down in my 1987 Cabo 216. Stopped at the rockpile for dinner about half way on the 50 mile run. My buddy picked me up at the marina and drove me to his house 1/2 mile south to "Angel's Camp". We spent the next 5 days fishing daily locally and to the Finger Banks. No tv, newspapers, phones, just the solitude of crashing waves and noises of the animals. Few people in the 100 or so houses in camp. Caught all kinds of rockfish, calico bass, lingcod, humbolt squid to mention a few. While fishing the kelp beds off baja Mar golf course the Mexican navy roared uo to us in their WWII PT boat. They we very courteous, spoke english well, checked our fishing licenses, wished us good luck and off they went. I was very impressed with their professionalism. Just like the CG who check on me at least monthly back home.

Well, Wayne talked me into becoming a partner in the property lease but not ownership of the house. It's the place to the right of the truck with a couple of trailers on it along the wire fence. I get the run of his large house and all I need to do is help with the infrastructure up-keep and lease cost. I'm retiring in january and have been looking for a place to get away from it all (wife & kids). For $400/year how could i say no. I plan on putting my 40' 5th wheel trailer on the property for my private abode and build a 17' high deck above it for the driving range & lounge, solar system and water tank. Need to get my golf game in shape for Baja Mar is only 2 miles south. There is no power or water facilities within the camp.

Attached are a few pics of the area and marina. I can walk from the house to the marina along the beautiful coastline. No more driving a car thru TJ. I've finally got my Baja Nomad place.

Dennis

BornFisher - 5-19-2008 at 03:46 PM

Congrats! I`ll be seeing down there. How deep were you fishing when you got the squid? I think I`m the only person who LOVES those things, but I`m almost out!!
Hey did you get some carnitas at the little shack by the entrance? The`re great!!

bajajudy - 5-19-2008 at 03:53 PM

Felicidades!
Looks like a great place and the no tv, etc will speed up your relaxation. When we first built our house, we used to sit on the porch with all the lights on and watch the geckos. Plenty of entertainment for this Nomad...did you know that they can eat a moth twice the size of their head?
cheers

Hook - 5-19-2008 at 04:22 PM

I havent been down in a LONG time...........what's that high-rise structure in the background of the marina pic?

Also, what's the status on the 4-5 homes along the water that are between Angel's Camp and the south jetty of the harbor entrance? Not the mansions in the Puerto Salina development but the smaller ones with the paths leading to the water.

Congrats on getting the lease.

[Edited on 5-19-2008 by Hook]

Capt. George - 5-19-2008 at 04:31 PM

A Boston hat and a Connecticut Sweat,

watcha do, make a wrong turn?? Not too many of us Eaterners out here.

Looks like a nice spot, enjoy. My buddy just got a Cabo 21, great boat.

cap'n g lotsa years on the Cape (Cod, that is)

David K - 5-19-2008 at 05:17 PM

I see a Mike McMahan Baja wall map in the kitchen... GOOD!:cool:

Here's a photo of Mike on tour in Baja, about 1954, I think!

[Edited on 5-20-2008 by David K]

La Burrita-r.JPG - 46kB

DavidT - 5-19-2008 at 07:41 PM

Your partners already have a to-do list for you.
I heard you are pretty good at wiring, how are you with roofing?

DENNIS - 5-19-2008 at 07:54 PM

Right-on, howat....Welcome to the neighborhood. Keep the wheels on the fifth wheel and you'll have peace of mind forever.

I think that is out of San Ignacio

thebajarunner - 5-19-2008 at 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
I see a Mike McMahan Baja wall map in the kitchen... GOOD!:cool:

Here's a photo of Mike on tour in Baja, about 1954, I think!

[Edited on 5-20-2008 by David K]

That is the spitting image of a stream crossing halfway out from SI to the old "beach route" of the Mexican 1000.
How could you forget such a place?
One of a kind.

Von - 5-19-2008 at 10:11 PM

nice place..

[Edited on 5-20-2008 by Von]

Von - 5-19-2008 at 10:23 PM

This is my baja in La Barca in Rosarito...

IMG_3179a.JPG - 15kB

BajaWarrior - 5-19-2008 at 10:29 PM

Didn't they (La Barca Resturaunt) have a spaghetti dinner on Thursday nights about 25 years ago?

Iflyfish - 5-19-2008 at 11:26 PM

Little piece of heaven there! Congrats!

Iflyfish

howat - 5-21-2008 at 06:34 AM

I do not know much about this area. For the past 30 years have been driving thru here at 4am on my way to Mulege, Loreto, LA Bay and other places along the Sea of Cortez. This year I asked Wayne if we could have our fishing vacation at his place so i could drive my boat there via water. Those tow trips down Hwy 1 are real white-knuckle adventures. Did not imagine I'd fall in love with the area. It's just too close to home to be any good i always thought.

The pics are of Billy in the Conn shirt and Wayne with the mustache. They grew up together in Mystic & Lords Point, Conn. They have known each other since 2nd grade. Wayne is the GM of Shelter Island Boat Yard in San Diego. I'm a AF brat.

About a month ago I did an exploratory trip to Puerto Marina Salina taking the free raod down and back. It was a vertual ghost town south of Rosarito, with more federal officers than tourist. All construction I noticed was stopped with no workers in sight. The high building in the marina's background I believe is a partially completed hotel. The older little house along the marina's south breakwater seemed inhabited. I really liked them but did not explore them further. They are on the walk from Wayne's place to the marina. Just love that walk.

I looked at the two houses for sale right on the ocean at Angel's Camp but did not explore them further after Wayne asked me to partner with him. But forever what reason things do not work out at Wayne's, I'll either buy or rent another lot at Angel's Camp. I'd prefer to be on the water any way. My plan is to spend a lot of time at Wayne's and complete a project each stay. i enjoy doing fixer-up projects to keep busy and give purpose to one's life. I'm a qusai expert in solar systems and electrical wiring but enjoy painting the most. Already have all the materials to upgrade Wayne's solar system and install my.

Thanks for the kind words and if I'm in the area and you Angel Camper's need any electrical help, stop by but it'll cost you a Pacifico or two.

Dennis

Skipjack Joe - 5-21-2008 at 08:55 AM

I'm jealous!

bajaandy - 5-21-2008 at 04:04 PM

Howat,
I'm interested to know how you were able to score a slip at the marina and how much they charge. That sounds like a fun run from San Diego. Looks like you had some good fish dinners!

howat - 5-21-2008 at 05:43 PM

Just send a email to this site and they will respond. i believe it was $8 a ft/day.
http://www.marinapuertosalina.com/
Dennis

mulegemichael - 5-22-2008 at 03:49 PM

wait a minute....is that the going rate for moorage everywhere?....$8 per foot, per day?....can't be right, can it?....so for my almost 30 footer it would be $240 per night?....nah...

Diver - 5-22-2008 at 04:11 PM

Daily rate is $0.55 per foot and includes utilities.

Hook - 5-22-2008 at 04:12 PM

I stayed in there about 3 years ago and my 25 footer was less than 20.00 for the night.

I think that might be the rate per month, not day.

bajaandy - 5-22-2008 at 04:34 PM

Whew! I can handle the $0.55/ft. A bit spendy if it was really $8.00/ft! Thanks for the info guys. I think I might just take my 25 footer down for a quick run this summer.

pig roast

snorklebob - 6-30-2008 at 07:02 AM

Hi Howat,
I have the blue and white house in the front row at Angel's. Be shure not to miss the 5th of july pig roast. Welcome to the neighborhood. We're Bob and Jayne
asta