BajaNomad

Recommendations for Quad Purchase

bremptg - 5-23-2008 at 11:12 AM

Wife and I are retiring to Baja in November and plan to stay until May. We would like to purchase 2 quads for our yearly stay. We would primarily use the quads for exploring and transportation to and from the beach. We're not "hot rodders", just an old retired couple. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

LancairDriver - 5-23-2008 at 11:27 AM

Take a look at Kawasaki. I have a Kawasaki 750 which has been a good reliable 4 wheel drive quad. If you are going into desert and beach terrain exploring, 4 wd is a must. It is very heavy duty machine and is priced competitively as far as quads go these days. The weak and falling dollar is driving up prices so buying sooner than later will help.

rts551 - 5-23-2008 at 11:41 AM

I think they are all pretty good any more. I would shop based on need (automatic, 4x4, size, etc), Price, and support (where ever you live). Some of the magazines do reviews and comparisons... Take a look on-line.

I put a couple thousand miles a year on mine.

[img][/img]

David K - 5-23-2008 at 11:43 AM

Polaris gets my vote!

Russ - 5-23-2008 at 11:53 AM

I've had quads for about ten years and just bought a Polaris Ranger. I wouldn't go back to handle bars now after riding around for only about 300 miles. I just took two friends for a ride yesterday. I could talk to them during the trip and had room to collect anything they'd have wanted to bring back with them. Oh, and my dog, Mason was a long too. Plus cooler and fishing poles and dive gear (too windy to fish or dive). I chose the Ranger because of the bench seat and more cargo space. Plus they are kinda the bench mark in ATV's and Utv's. 9 gallon fuel tank. Down side: it won't fit in a truck so a 5'x10' trailer is needed.
3 photos to follow:

With Friends 5:22:08.jpg - 47kB

Russ - 5-23-2008 at 11:57 AM

Now that the dogs been in it I can't escape alone.

Bubba (UTV) & Mason (Lab).jpg - 48kB

Russ - 5-23-2008 at 12:03 PM

And the last one (today). Close up of "Bubba" and my Polaris Sportsman on the trailer in the background.

Bubba:ATV on trailer.jpg - 48kB

I vote for Yamaha

RockhouseTom - 5-23-2008 at 12:47 PM

We have a 2000 400 kodiak a 2006 450 grizzly and 2006 Rhino 660, all reliable machines that are easy to work on your self. It depends on your needs, but if your retiring I would recommend a side by side and my choice is the rhino, It will launch my 19ft boat and tow and nice size trailer yet is a blast to drive. It will go any where the quads will go and then some. only down side is it is wider than the largest quads. In addition you can put rear seat in to carry more riders.

You did not say if you have experience on quads. If not try them out and compare to a side by side before you buy. You can make good buys on used quads as many people buy and then decide they are not for them. IRS is important for comfort on wash board roads, most new machines have it, but if you buy used it's a must.

Here is a picture of my son ready to blast off on the Rhino.

660.JPG - 39kB

RockhouseTom - 5-23-2008 at 12:48 PM

Here is my son on the 400 Kodiak

400.JPG - 42kB

RockhouseTom - 5-23-2008 at 12:55 PM

Here is my daughter on the 450:

450.JPG - 40kB

rts551 - 5-23-2008 at 01:28 PM

almost like what truck is best???
here is a place to start. lots of reviews... and like here-opinions.
ATVRider Magazine
http://forums.atvconnection.com/messageview.cfm/catid/17/thr...

[Edited on 5-23-2008 by rts551]

DianaT - 5-24-2008 at 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ
And the last one (today). Close up of "Bubba" and my Polaris Sportsman on the trailer in the background.

Russ,

We are considering one of those and would definitely need the cover for the dogs in the back. Was the cover a factory extra, or an after market item???

Also, I like your description. We have also considered two quads---still deciding.

Thanks
Diane

Russ - 5-24-2008 at 12:59 PM

Diane, I used doubled up shade cloth and jury rigged it. If you sew (sp) you could sew on a durable edging with button holes in it so could zip tie it on or use small bungy cords. I plan to remove it from time to time so I just used zip ties and parachute cord. For the back shade I made a wood frame and stapled down the shade cloth then used eye bolt and tied it to the front cover. I can adjust the height in the back and only use one bungy to hold it down Ask Shari what she thinks of it.

UnoMas - 5-24-2008 at 07:08 PM

First thing to think of is parts availability. Next is what you will use it for, just riding around for transportation or pulling a small boat up on the beach, this will determine if you need a 4X4 or a 2X4. Be careful of full time 4 wheel drives as they eat front tires and can be hard steering. Some have a 4 wheel independent suspension and ride very nice, but are hard on CV joints which are very expensive to replace. After owning a few I have decided that Honda is the only way to go for me, a bit more expensive but worth it.

rts551 - 5-24-2008 at 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by UnoMas
First thing to think of is parts availability. Next is what you will use it for, just riding around for transportation or pulling a small boat up on the beach, this will determine if you need a 4X4 or a 2X4. Be careful of full time 4 wheel drives as they eat front tires and can be hard steering. Some have a 4 wheel independent suspension and ride very nice, but are hard on CV joints which are very expensive to replace. After owning a few I have decided that Honda is the only way to go for me, a bit more expensive but worth it.

you need an update on prices there Uno. Arctic Cat and Polaris are the most expensive, at least for the mid-size quad 4x4's I was looking at. oops and edit to add CanAm

[Edited on 5-25-2008 by rts551]

Bob and Susan - 5-25-2008 at 06:29 AM

that ranger looks really nice...$$$$$:light:

we have a gas golf cart but it wouldn't stand up to really rough riding...

we are looking at a mini-micro truck for around "the ranch" and for trips to town

these 3 cyl minis go for about $3500
they are small and can be driven on the highway

we need things that park easily in town
the streets are narrow

our poor samuari won't last forever:saint::saint:

diah-10.jpg - 47kB

rts551 - 5-25-2008 at 07:59 AM

Ranger, Rhino, Mule, etc all start right under $10k and go up from there. Neighbor payed 15k for a limited edition Rhino.

Lot more than your $3500 mini!

Russ - 5-25-2008 at 08:06 AM

Wow! You could get a lot of those mini things for the price of a Ranger.:O

Roberto - 5-29-2008 at 05:34 PM

I have two - a 2006 Honda Rancher 350, a great, basic ATV. I also have a 2007 BRP Outlander Max 800. This is the cadillac. 4X4, legally carries two people EFI, two-cylinder, gobs of power, you name it. These quads race in SCORE with minimal mods. Expensive, but awesome.

I like the Polaris Ranger, but I like the RZR even more:

This thing must be a BLAST!

rts551 - 5-29-2008 at 06:14 PM

V-twin but a gas hog and They are not winning anything!!!!!

and thats a Polaris people. not an Outlander

[Edited on 5-30-2008 by rts551]

BajaWarrior - 5-29-2008 at 06:32 PM

Let's get back to the topic of quads.

I take it you have not owned quads before. We have several which include:

2 Yamaha Warriors 350cc electric start, 6 speed, with clutch. Reliable bikes and sporty

2 Honda 250 EX 250cc electric start, 5 speed, no clutch (just shift) shaft drive (no chain)Extremely reliable adult sized bikes.

2 Yamaha Breeze's 125cc electric start, fully automatic, small adult sized, perfect for ladies, kids, beginners.

All these bikes have reverse as well and are all 4 stroke motors.

I see the 250's advertised all the time on CraigsList San Diego for $2000 and up in good shape.

Where are you retiring in Baja?

Russ - 5-29-2008 at 07:01 PM

My "friend" Just called my Ranger a "motorized wheel chair for old folks." Ouch!:(

Roberto - 5-29-2008 at 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551

Of course. Isn't that what I said? The Outlander is a quad, and THAT's what's raced in SCORE.

[Edited on 5-30-2008 by Roberto]

CortezBlue - 5-29-2008 at 07:30 PM

I have 2 polaris' quads that are 2 stroke. I think it is impossible to get a 2 stroke anymore, but if you find a 2 stroke stay away from it. They are more difficult to keep going and almost always are fouling out plugs. My neighbor in San Felipe, who is my mechanic, is sold on Hondas??

rts551 - 5-29-2008 at 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaWarrior
Let's get back to the topic of quads.

I take it you have not owned quads before. We have several which include:

2 Yamaha Warriors 350cc electric start, 6 speed, with clutch. Reliable bikes and sporty

2 Honda 250 EX 250cc electric start, 5 speed, no clutch (just shift) shaft drive (no chain)Extremely reliable adult sized bikes.

2 Yamaha Breeze's 125cc electric start, fully automatic, small adult sized, perfect for ladies, kids, beginners.

All these bikes have reverse as well and are all 4 stroke motors.

I see the 250's advertised all the time on CraigsList San Diego for $2000 and up in good shape.

Where are you retiring in Baja?

250ex is semiautomatic. Has an integrated clutch.

None of these bike are 4x4. 2k is entry level Unless you do your homework.

rts551 - 5-29-2008 at 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Roberto
Quote:

Of course. Isn't that what I said? The Outlander is a quad, and THAT's what's raced in SCORE.

[Edited on 5-30-2008 by Roberto]

Ohhh Roberto.... You also probably own a Cheby... Just teasing. I like the Outlander. Just would not own one. I like the simplicity and durability of the Honda (Rancher 420)

rts551 - 5-29-2008 at 07:46 PM

My quads are full time baja machines.

4x4 Ranger goes everywhere.... and a

2 wheel drive 250x "sport" quad is for playing (for me) and racing (for my son).

I learned that where I live, it is easier to keep it simple. Parts are hard to get to include tires.

Keep this in mind when buying.... Is it a Baja bike or do you run it back and forth in your P/U

Roberto - 5-29-2008 at 07:51 PM

Quote:
I like the Outlander. Just would not own one. I like the simplicity
and durability of the Honda (Rancher 420)

Different priorities for a full-time Baja machine, of course. Getting the Outlander serviced in Baja would be a problem, but not one I have. They are quite reliable however, and you just can't believe the power on this thing. Being designed to carry two people is the primary reason I own it.

The Honda Rancher 350 is a workhorse, and I can work on it myself if necessary, but a totally different ride.

And no --- I drive a Ford Diesel.

Chamaco - 5-29-2008 at 07:54 PM

Do yourself a big favor and call OTD Cycle Sports out of L.A. I bought my quad there and they could not be beat. I do not know anybody who works there and do not own the place. They give out the door prices via the internet

Roberto - 5-29-2008 at 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Chamaco
Do yourself a big favor and call OTD Cycle Sports out of L.A. I bought my quad there and they could not be beat. I do not know anybody who works there and do not own the place. They give out the door prices via the internet

They are also here: http://www.otdcyclesports.com/.

Another good resource is Motoworld of El Cajon, in ... El Cajon (in San Diego County). For your purposes, I would look for something like the Honda Rancher. 4X4 probably necessary. Every major manufacturer makes a Utility quad something like this Honda model.

just1man - 6-30-2008 at 02:28 PM

Do yourself & your wife a favour and get an older VW Baja bug or an old square-back and put some dirt tires on it.

They'll drive over almost anything, parts are easy to come by in MX. and all you need to work on them is a standard screwdriver and a crescent wrench. If it breaks down you can either get someone (usually sympathetic because they owned one once:spingrin:) or just leave it on the side of the road after taking the coil out!

Riding a quad isn't something you should run out and pick up at an accelerated age. One foot off the peg and you could really tear up your leg permanently.

Get in, put your seat belt on, crack a coldie and go to the beach!

Air down the tires for encounters with sand:light:

Honda Rincon

Lee - 6-30-2008 at 03:11 PM

Still like my '03 Rinny and would get another. Rode the Bombadier, Polaris and Yamaha and liked the Honda. Combo auto/3 speed tranny and easy to work on. No problems so far and it's still fast. Honda has 5 of top 10 models.

HWNorth - 7-10-2008 at 12:08 PM

A couple of thoughts I would consider ..
Service - IF you need parts or service .. where can you obtain and for what brand ?
Budget - what does it allow ?

Although I have Yamaha, Honda and Lonkin, as well have owned Kawasaki and Susuki... I would still suggest Honda products as far as reliability.

Al G - 7-10-2008 at 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by just1man
Do yourself & your wife a favour and get an older VW Baja bug or an old square-back and put some dirt tires on it.

They'll drive over almost anything, parts are easy to come by in MX. and all you need to work on them is a standard screwdriver and a crescent wrench. If it breaks down you can either get someone (usually sympathetic because they owned one once:spingrin:) or just leave it on the side of the road after taking the coil out!

Riding a quad isn't something you should run out and pick up at an accelerated age. One foot off the peg and you could really tear up your leg permanently.

Get in, put your seat belt on, crack a coldie and go to the beach!

Air down the tires for encounters with sand:light:

Too old? Not sure, but my guess is you know little of Quads or ATVs
FYI quads have floor boards with support pegs under...some ATV don't.
Also to suggest a rolling coffin (no brakes or engine) is not good...and yes I have been in too many VW's.

Important info...
1) no straight axles. That knocks Honda out as they were way behind the curve and only the newest models have independent suspension...this is a must for Baja. Honda is trying to catch up to Polaris and you can forget about all the rest (manufactures)period.
2)Automatics...unless you like like wearing out your skin on your toes (sandals) and being annoyed by having to shift all the time, not to mention getting stuck because you didn't shift right.
3) Water cooled...another must in Baja hot areas...Hondas do not measure up here either. Owners have to watch then close and keep moving.
4) Polaris has a 60" wide wheel stance...won't turn over easy. Not sure if honda has copied this yet.
The Polaris 2-up is really the best choice and you don't need anything over 500cc.
If you can find a year old model at a dealer, a basic bike maybe 6500-7000, but don't quote me.

Edit: Polaris have zero problems I have experienced (mine is a 2005), but the drive belt is a good thing to have as a spare.

Edit: Also want to add Honda has one advantage...it is quieter, but it's HP sucks. That said I think I would still trade a little HP for quieter, but never would I trade bikes...

[Edited on 7-10-2008 by Al G]

Al G - 7-10-2008 at 02:00 PM

Just got quoted $7100 for new 2008 2-up 500cc Polaris (Green or red) and I am sure you can get a better deal then that. Hell, if I could get $5000 for my fully loaded Polaris in Todos Santos...I would go for that. I really like the 2-ups.

[Edited on 7-11-2008 by Al G]

Russ - 7-10-2008 at 04:50 PM

I have a low mileage 2002 Sportsman 500HO I'd let go for $4000. Finally fixed the leaky front hub.

Quads

bremptg - 7-10-2008 at 05:22 PM

Thanks to you all for your input. I'm 60 yo and have no desire to go off into the hills stump jumping. I envision going to the beach, fishing and maybe the occasional trip to the tienda for more Pacifico. Pretty mellow riding so I have no need of a hot rod.

I'll be wintering somewhere in the Mulege area starting next fall. I live in a rural area of Washington State (Hood Canal) and I guess I would drag it (or them, if my wife wants one too) down to Baja along with the boat.

I'm going to look real hard at the 2 seat model. Less maint. than with two quads.

thanks again

Russ - 7-10-2008 at 06:05 PM

bremptg. I wondered what "brem" stood for. Bremerton? I lived 4 years just 2 or 3 miles short of Tahuya then move to Buck Lake for about 4yrs and then to Wye Lake for awhile and Manchester before moving down here. Worked for the county parks 9yrs.
Oh yeah, the quad, I think most of the mulege folks have quads smaller than 500cc but the places you can explore from there are unlimited. Like all the way to San Ignacio? My Sportsman 500 would be perfect. You'll definitely want independent rear axles.Two riders works fine and I have a cargo box and front rack. Rod holders in front too. Shop manual and lots of spare parts. 60, I hope, isn't too old to take on a few boulders. No many stumps down here. I'll hit 60 next year. Like I said I love my new Ranger if you can get one I'd do it. Good luck! Here's nephew and his son on my quad.

Jr..jpg - 48kB