BajaNomad

Identify this reel?

Santiago - 5-23-2008 at 09:17 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/4-0-High-Speed-Trolling-Reel_W0QQitemZ32...

Isn't this a Penn 113?? Why doesn't the lister say so?? Looks like I can read "LP40".
3 or them dirt cheap if a 113.

Paulina - 5-23-2008 at 10:46 PM

That looks like a Penn with the Tiburon frame kit, but with a newer handle attached. Weird. Maybe it's a non name brand that's why the photo is small and kind of blurry and not listed with a brand name? It doesn't look very high speed to me. Where's Whistler when you need him?

P<*)))><

[Edited on 24-5-2008 by Paulina]

Diver - 5-23-2008 at 10:53 PM

That is NOT a PENN !
It is an LP40.
A much cheaper version that I believe is made in Japan.
The handle has holes drilled in it and the grip is a different shape.

http://cgi.ebay.com.hk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=25...

Oops, I meant to say China.

[Edited on 5-24-2008 by Diver]

Paulina - 5-23-2008 at 11:12 PM

That was easy to read, but you can only use them in "Saltwater lakes".

Santiago - 5-24-2008 at 05:35 AM

Aha - I thought something was up.

Bob and Susan - 5-24-2008 at 05:55 AM

easy read...:lol::lol::lol:

Untitled.jpg - 42kB

Pescador - 5-24-2008 at 06:44 AM

Actually it is a Chinese knock off of a Penn 4/0. Some say that the parts interchange with Penn, but the fit is not as good. Saw one that was a giveaway for a prize and the guy hooked a nice yellowtail and the thing literally blew up. There were pieces flying around and it sounded a little like a broken transmission on a car before everything stopped.
But then the price was only 25 Bucks.

Bob H - 5-24-2008 at 07:04 AM

What's the price on the real Penn?
Bob H

aquaholic..listen up.

Pompano - 5-24-2008 at 07:08 AM

Remember when we were just off the NW corner of Ille del Fonso in your boat, using your equipment and got into the really big yellowtail? Remember that monster yellowtail I lost when the reel fell apart... You know, that clunky Penn 4/0 you insisted I use?

Were you shopping on ebay again?

Frank - 5-24-2008 at 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
What's the price on the real Penn?
Bob H

$99.00

Don Alley - 5-24-2008 at 08:32 AM

The seller's one negative was a buyer of one of these reels, who thought he was getting a Penn.

The seller's response: "I at no time have discribed this item as a PENN reel. The item is as described."

ebay, buyer beware! :lol:

Here's my Penn 113 4/0, maybe I'll put it on Ebay this summer.:biggrin: Buyer Beware!

:biggrin:

Udo - 5-24-2008 at 09:13 AM

While we are on the subject of fishing:
I know there are many Nomads out there who are expert in fishing the Baja waters...
I plan on fishing off my kayak and would like to get a Lowrance fish finder (because it matches other software I have for my Explorer C).
What do you recommend I get, and is ther someone who ugraded to the latest and greatest and would like to sell me their old one?
I would prefer a bright color screen type.
Thanks for your help!

Cheap reels

BajaDanD - 5-24-2008 at 12:19 PM

Its worth the 20 bucks just to see the reel blow up
come on how often do you get to see a reel blow up.
Dand

Don Alley - 5-24-2008 at 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaDanD
Its worth the 20 bucks just to see the reel blow up
come on how often do you get to see a reel blow up.
Dand

One word: Shrapnel

You want your friend to use the exploding reel.
And wear safety goggles.
Ever seen a guy with a star drag wheel buried in his forehead? Ouch!

And remember, these are the reels you cannot carry on the airlines.

flyfishinPam - 5-24-2008 at 01:33 PM

go to a farmer's market or a flea market just about anywhere in the state of California and you'll likely find an old Penn 113H they used to be called 4/0. Expect to pay under $50 dollars for one in decent condition. I have had poor experiences with Penn reels they just don't withstand our use. A few years ago I switched to Shimano reels and they've been good to us. I like the Shimano TLD 15's lightweight and good drag system, spool with 40-50 pound line for yellowtail in winter then switch to 30 pound for the summer species. In my opinion E-bay is a bad place to buy fishing equipment.

[Edited on 5-24-2008 by flyfishinPam]

Cypress - 5-24-2008 at 01:47 PM

About those Penn 4/0 also called 113 reels. There's a big difference between the 4/0 and the 4/0 High Speed. The gear ratio of the "H" is higher than the regular 4/0 without the "H". :) A 113H is a tuff, reliable reel for the average bottom fisherman. The way things are going you won't need 'em in the Sea of Cortez.:no: Some of those old plastic Zebco reels will handle most anything you'll hook.:(

BMG - 5-24-2008 at 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
The way things are going you won't need 'em in the Sea of Cortez.:no: Some of those old plastic Zebco reels will handle most anything you'll hook.:(

I've been using my Ronco Pocket Fisherman.