BajaNomad

New Airline rules for Baja Fishermen

Osprey - 5-25-2008 at 03:59 PM

The Baja Pony Express reports today that some unhappy fishermen in La Paz were charged $300 U.S. round trip for their rod tubes and a small fortune for ice chests of fish by Delta Airlines. Could increases in gas prices drive the cost of recreational fishing skyward, slow the whole industry, save the fishery?

Russ - 5-25-2008 at 04:15 PM

I'm also told that the immigration folks are taking the whole tourist visa so when you return to fly out they hit you with a $100usd fine for not having your visa. Please pass this on to any travelers. They need to keep the return portion of their visas.

CaboMagic - 5-25-2008 at 04:34 PM

Good afternoon Osprey - always enjoy your writing, and, am grateful to be inspired to think outside my box by it.

From this side of the equation, we do our best to enlighten new visitors/guests that fish with us, to issues not limited only to fishing with us .. We advise all guests, in writing, to respect limits, and, all of our captains enforce this pretty hard .. exception being when there is an unreal run of YFT or Dorado.

When asked about bringing fish back, I say "Dont bring an ice chest with you that looks like a piece of furntiure ..." and suggest a small softsided unit they can put several gallon freezer ziplok bags in so they can have meals 'back home' to enjoy, and perhaps to share and tell about their experience.

It used to be common for fishermen to return with those enormous ice chests filled with filets ... I often find I must patiently listen to the stories from fisherman bragging about how much they brought back, and find myself cringing, there is a line between what I think and feel, and, what I can say ..

So, I am encouraged if the airlines were to start charging to bring back so much fish as it might deter some people from doing so. Charging for rod tubes I dont agree with, unless they are also checking bags and carrying on ..

Not sure it will save the fishery, still I do hope the effects are positive, allowing people to do something they dont do everyday that are visting, and can enjoy fresh fish prepared at a local restaurant to enjoy, and allow locals to fish for their meals and be successful doing so.

Getting along matters .. thanks for your time. Lori

oxxo - 5-25-2008 at 05:32 PM

Its going to get more expensive for everyone, not just fishermen. American Airlines is the first to institute new fees for bags and the rest will follow suit. Here is the notice:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080521/ap_on_bi_ge/american_air...

Don Alley - 5-25-2008 at 05:58 PM

Alaska's new rules go into effect in July, and they are not as harsh. One free checked bag, but three free checked bags on "intra-Alaska flights, which I think means if all your flights are on Alaska. Lots of exceptions for 1st class, etc.

Fishermen can take their gear in place of one free checked bag:

Quote:

Fishing:
One item of fishing equipment, defined as two rods, two reels, and one tackle box will be accepted in lieu of the free baggage allowance. Fishing poles that cannot be broken down adequately to be stowed on board in an overhead bin must be checked. Please package all fishing equipment in appropriate containers.

I would think that, in practice one bazooka rod carrying case would be OK. The Pro model will hold a number of rods and/or lots of shorts and t-shirts too.

Osprey - 5-25-2008 at 06:26 PM

Lori, if Mexican diesel is half the cost of diesel in states I think Baja California charter prices will look very attractive as U.S. charter operators must raise their prices to stay alive. Baja charter prices have almost always been a bargain compared to good game fishing waters anywhere in the world but if I were you I would be doing lots of international advertising and even offering specials aimed at airline changes/rule changes. Show them your good gear, your good equipment and people, sell more waterproof throwaway cameras. Question is, can you handle Austrians who only carry Euros spitting up all over your engine covers?

acadist - 5-25-2008 at 07:13 PM

I am on US Air in the morning, thier rules are dimensions must not exceed 62" and weight 50 lbs so my small ice chest should be ok. My rod tube I am concerned about but will deal with that in the morning, may have to run back to the car and leave it.
Bottom line......LA PAZ tomorrow:bounce:

fishbuck - 5-26-2008 at 09:43 AM

I just came back from LAP. I didn't bring any gear or cooler.
I kept one fish and had him cooked at the restuarant. I gave the rest to the hotel manager.
I have some nice gear too.
The rod I used was missing 1 eye and the gears in the Penn senator were kind of warn out and grinding. Still not a problem.
Usually their rods are fine so you can bring your own reels and switch the reels.
When we came back they bused us to the LAX customs in the basement of the international terminal. We arrived at the same time as a couple of jumbo jets from Korea.
If I had my gear and a cooler it might have taken an hour to get out of there.
I just barely was able to get in front of about a 1000 Koreans and get the hell out of there.
Leave your rods and cooler at home and leave the fish in baja(alive) and just enjoy the moment. Keep one fish to eat and catch and release the others.
Don't be greedy.
As they say "leave only footprints and take only pictures"
Maybe then the baja you love will be there when you return.

[Edited on 5-26-2008 by fishbuck]

Udo - 5-26-2008 at 10:09 AM

Next time land at Ontario, CA airport.
Lot easier customs.

Got Back Friday Night

acadist - 6-1-2008 at 11:10 AM

Got lucky on the way, had my credit card ready for the rod tube asked the ticketing agent about the fishing gear rule. She had to get the supervisor and they were confused and told me they would allow it even though it should be oversized. That saved me $100 each way;). In Cabo it was not even questioned. Tube did not make it out of customs in Phoenix to make our flight but was on my doorstep the next morning before I got out of bed. Also on the question of line on reels: asked TSA in Denver, they said it was no problem so left the reels spooled on the way back and had no problems, even in Phoenix when they hand inspected my bag.
Also, the flight attendant told us that US Air is going to be charging for the first bag soon. Alas, I think all airlines will charge for luggage and carryons are going to be crowded and begin to get restricted more.

Quote:
Originally posted by acadist
I am on US Air in the morning, thier rules are dimensions must not exceed 62" and weight 50 lbs so my small ice chest should be ok. My rod tube I am concerned about but will deal with that in the morning, may have to run back to the car and leave it.
Bottom line......LA PAZ tomorrow:bounce:

shari - 6-1-2008 at 12:56 PM

NIce post Fishbuck...good ideas...now, I talked to Jose Sanchez of Cedros Outdoor Adventures about their fly-in fishing charters and this is another good reason to go with these guys....they can take lots more gear AND provide big coolers. They just use a bigger planes if they have alot of gear. These neat little charters sound way nicer,...less hassle than big airlines..personal service and of course the benefit of flying right to your fishing grounds so no check ins, no taxi, no car rental etc. and bilingual guides for any problems one ay encounter. Commercial flying seems to be a pain these days.

fishbuck - 6-2-2008 at 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
NIce post Fishbuck...good ideas...now, I talked to Jose Sanchez of Cedros Outdoor Adventures about their fly-in fishing charters and this is another good reason to go with these guys....they can take lots more gear AND provide big coolers. They just use a bigger planes if they have alot of gear. These neat little charters sound way nicer,...less hassle than big airlines..personal service and of course the benefit of flying right to your fishing grounds so no check ins, no taxi, no car rental etc. and bilingual guides for any problems one ay encounter. Commercial flying seems to be a pain these days.

I can carry rods and coolers in my Piper Cherokee 6 no problem.
I can also carry surfboards.
I take a seat out of the back and can still carry 4 passengers and gear.
I can get to Shari's from Brown field in San Diego in about 4 hours.
To share the aircraft expense it would cost about $250/person.

The Cedros guys use a Cessna Caravan. The perfect Baja plane.
If any body wants to charter the Cedros plane I'll go. I 'd love to fly with those guys!

synch - 4-15-2009 at 09:48 AM

Are there any rules about bringing fish back and declaring them at customs?
Is it pretty easy to do?
THX

bajabeachbabe - 4-15-2009 at 12:30 PM

Bringing back fish in a cooler chest is pretty easy. Freeze the fish, preferably in foodsaver bags. Use blue ice to keep them frozen. The airlines do not allow dry ice or regular ice. On Alaska you will need to pay an extra bag charge for the chest, unless you are flying first class. The last time we flew back from Loreto to Seattle with our cooler chest of fish, the fish was still frozen solid when we arrived home.

Don Alley - 4-15-2009 at 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by synch
Are there any rules about bringing fish back and declaring them at customs?
Is it pretty easy to do?
THX

Yes. You need your Mexican fishing license. They may not ask, but I have seen them ask some surprised fishermen at LAX. Customs let them bring them in but cautioned them to have a license next time.

Alan - 4-15-2009 at 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabeachbabe
Bringing back fish in a cooler chest is pretty easy. Freeze the fish, preferably in foodsaver bags. Use blue ice to keep them frozen. The airlines do not allow dry ice or regular ice.

Rather than the blue ice (adds weight), I have always just used crumpled newspaper. Line the bottom of the chest with crumpled newspaper, add your frozen fillets and then cover them with more crumpled newspaper. Duct tape the lid closed (after it has been inspected at the airport) and you are set. I have used this method on several occasions even in the middle of summer when driving back from BCS and three days later all of the fillets were still rock hard.