BajaNomad

LOOKING FOR A FISH FINDER

Udo - 5-26-2008 at 11:52 AM

I can see that we have a large number of fishermen belonging to our group, therefore I think one of you may have the answer.
My wife and I own a couple of seagoing kayaks, and I plan on fishing from mine. I am looking for a fishfinder that I can use from my kayak that has a color display, and perhaps one that is compatible with my Lowrance GPS.
I am sure many of you have opinions on the direction I should take, and I'm listening.
If you know of someone who upgraded and wants sell theirs, please let me know. In a U2U I'll give you my cell number.
THANKS

Diver - 5-26-2008 at 12:18 PM

The Garmin 160C is made in a portable version with a battery pack and removeable transducer - works pretty well for the price. No GPS though.

http://www.thetwistergroup.com/store/customer/product.php?pr...

[Edited on 5-26-2008 by Diver]

Diver - 5-26-2008 at 01:48 PM

Thanks Grover - I couldn't get the whole thing to stick.

Cypress - 5-26-2008 at 02:14 PM

You're gonna need a high-tech, super-dooper fish finder to locate any fish down in the Sea of Cortez.:(

Capt. George - 5-26-2008 at 02:29 PM

ya right Cypress....how about a hookah rig?

Cypress - 5-26-2008 at 02:54 PM

Capt. George, Yea, and their days are numbered.:(

Udo - 5-26-2008 at 03:15 PM

Thanks Diver & Grover!

Paulina - 5-26-2008 at 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
You're gonna need a high-tech, super-dooper fish finder to locate any fish down in the Sea of Cortez.:(

I'm thinking he should hire Skeet.

P<*)))><

Cypress - 5-26-2008 at 05:18 PM

Paulina!:lol::lol:

Pescador - 6-3-2008 at 07:26 AM

Since most of what you will be needing is less than 100 feet, any of the decent depth finders will work well, you just need to play with the gain to set up the sensitivity. Also, since it is a pretty wet setup, make sure you are using a sealed unit. I prefer not to have a combination GPS and depthfinder because if the unit goes out I have lost two important instruments. On a kayak, I use a portable GPS and a Garmin finder with 50/200 settings. There is a kayak fishing site out of southern California that really goes into depth on this very issue.

Udo - 6-3-2008 at 04:53 PM

Muchas gracias, PESCADOR,
yours is the type of information I was looking for.
I was originally considering the LOWRANCE LMS 520c because of it's GPS as well as a depth/fish finder capabilities and how bright it was, plus I was considering a sealed AGM motorcycle size battery, which hopefully would give me about 8 hours of power.
Another question: why a Garmin with the 50/200?
As I understand it, the 50 transducer makes for a wider sonar angle, and the 200 for a narrower beam. Since I can't go very fast any way, why would one be more advantageous than the other?
And what is the kayak fishing site you know of?
Thanks!

Udo - 6-3-2008 at 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
Since most of what you will be needing is less than 100 feet, any of the decent depth finders will work well, you just need to play with the gain to set up the sensitivity. Also, since it is a pretty wet setup, make sure you are using a sealed unit. I prefer not to have a combination GPS and depthfinder because if the unit goes out I have lost two important instruments. On a kayak, I use a portable GPS and a Garmin finder with 50/200 settings. There is a kayak fishing site out of southern California that really goes into depth on this very issue.

I notice you are from LOVELAND CO.
Do you know Boyd Bass & Barbara Winternitz? Loveland is not that big, and I love your post office!

bremptg - 6-3-2008 at 05:55 PM

The 50/200 cone settings are not speed related, but settings are determined by water depth you wish to view. Garmin is a very good unit (one of the few that are waterproof, not just water resistant). I've had mine for 4 years and never a problem.

bremptg - 6-3-2008 at 05:56 PM

The 50/200 cone settings are not speed related, but settings are determined by water depth you wish to view. Garmin is a very good unit (one of the few that are waterproof, not just water resistant). I've had mine for 4 years and never a problem.

castaway$ - 6-3-2008 at 07:07 PM

Actually the 50/200 refers to the frequency the unit operates at, it does mean you have 2 different cone angles and it does affect the the ability to reach into the depths. The 200 khz will have a wider cone angle and will not penetrate nearly as deep as the 50 khz at the same power. If you are not going to be fishing in water over 150 feet 200 khz is more than adequate as long as the unit has the power to back it up, plus it will give you much higher resolution. It would also be wise to check each unit you are interested in for the peak to peak wattage rating, if you don't have the power to push the sound adequately you will get distorion and weak echo returns and pescador is definitley right adjust your gain and sensitivity to get a clean picture. One final note DO NOT USE THE LITTLE FISH SYMBOLS they will represent everthing as a fish from a piece of kelp to a fish fart, learn to read the "arches" and you will be much more successful. Castaway$

Santiago - 6-3-2008 at 07:59 PM

ah jeeze - Paulina beat me to it.

Pescador - 6-3-2008 at 08:25 PM

You have already been educated about dual cone transducers, but the most important part, for me, is the ability to find and differentiate bait fish. If you are just going to look for bay bass or other critters on the bottom thn it does not make much difference, and once you get the gain dialed in, you will be amazed. I can see the jig going down on mine and I can see the fish rising up to strike. Almost like a video game.

Kayaking resources:

www.bluewaterjon.com
www.kayakfishinggear.com
www.jaxkayakfishing.com
www.kayakfishing.com
www.kayakfishinstuff.com
www.kayakfishingzone.com
www.kayak4fish.com
www.suncoastkayaksportfishing.com
www.texaskayakfisherman.com

ElFaro - 6-3-2008 at 08:27 PM

Another thing to consider is the pixel resolution of the screen!!

Let's say the bottom below you is 150 feet deep and the top to bottom screen resolution is 150 pixel. That means each pixel represents 1 foot.
A 300 pixel resolution means 1 pixel to 1/2 foot. Thus a fish may not be visible on the screen due to insufficient pixel resolution...something passed on to me from an expert at a fishing show kayak booth.

Udo - 6-4-2008 at 04:24 PM

Hola, pescador, el faro & castaway$!
Your information has been most helpful. Now I'm looking to see which model of the Garmin units to purchase.
I think I have a reasonable idea regarding the fish finder and an external motorcycle-size battery: store the battery in a PELICAN CASE and add a 5 watt solar charger to the outside of the case to sort of keep the battery charged. I don't know how long the battery will last when using the Garmin.
Unless some of you have already done it.
Again,
thanks for your help!

ElFaro - 6-4-2008 at 05:53 PM

Udo...

Here is my current setup...I have an Ocean Kayak Prowler "Big Game" olive green. It is setup to accomodate an assortment of fishing accessories. Directly in front of my feet is a molded flat surface to accomodate a fish finder and a compass and whatever else one wishes to "bolt on" to the surface. For the fish finder specifically the right side of the flat surface in front of my right foot is the ideal area to mount the fish finder. There is a battery shelf under the surface to secure the battery. Power is then run up through a hole to the fish finder. The transponder is mounted on the underside of the kayak on a small circular flat surface specifically molded around the front right drain hole to accomodate the transponder mount. The cable is then fed up through the drain hole and into the fish finder.

I prefer to use the GARMIN FORETREX 101 wrist mounted GPS for a host of reasons...It is separate from the fish finder, waterproof, portable, and battery powered to 15 hrs. It is a basic GPS that stores 500 waypoints and 10,000 trackpoints w/ traceback feature. Waypoints can be uploaded/downloaded to a PC. It DOES NOT store maps...which are useless in Baja anyway for near shore/estuary fishing in remote areas. I also prefer a wrist compass. Both my navigation tools are separate from the fish finder in case I'm separated from the kayak.

ElFaro - 6-4-2008 at 06:05 PM

Udo...more info

When considering batteries to power your kayak you may wish to look beyond motorcyle batteries for other options. Down here in San Diego there are "battery warehouses" that sell rechargable small 6-12 ampHr "gell" type batteries. These can be mounted sideways to accomodate tight locations inside your kayak. Don't have to worry about acid spills. Maybe there is a battery specialty shop in your area. These places provide specialty batteries for golf carts, wheel chairs, emergency light power units, etc. One guy I knew used a bunch of old 9V Makita drill batteries to power his bait pump and fish finder!

Pescador - 6-4-2008 at 06:47 PM

Well, we want to see pictures of the fish you are gonna catch. Cabela's sells a great gel battery that I use on my icefishing sonar and it works great, if it tips over it keeps on working. Keeps the acid from leaking out of the motorcycle battery and eating your swim trunks, or whatever.

Udo - 6-4-2008 at 07:13 PM

Faro & pescador...
I am really thankful for your input!
Do you mind if I come down your way, Faro, and look at your rig? I would also like to take some photos of it so I may remember what I looked at.
I'll be in SD again (on business) on the 25th of this month. The battery I was considering was an Odissey AGM battery. I had really great luck with it in my Goldwing (so far it's been in there for 8 years).
My kayak is a Hobie Adventure Island. My wife's is the same, but only mine will be set up for fishing.
I already have a GPS. it's a Lowrance Expedition c. I'll be using it in Alaska starting this weekend. (We are going to share some salmon with some bears). The Nauticpath chart chip I bought for it has all of the west coast as well as Baja. Really cool!
But as far as the fishfinders go, it seems that the ones with the brightest screens are in the $400-600 range, and so far there are more votes for the Garmin, than for Lowrance or Humminbird. No one has recommended which Garmin yet, but I compared screens at the Bass Pro store in Rancho Cucamonga and the Garmin 340c has my vote because of the screen. Comparing units within a price range, say $500.00, all the brands seem almost identical in features.
Your input on placement of the transponder is invaluable because I was undecided regarding on what kind to get and where to mount it. I am concerned, however, about the bottom of the kayak dragging on shallow water and dragging on rocks when in Baja and losing the transponder.

maspacifico - 6-5-2008 at 07:55 AM

I would love to watch TV, but where would I put the fish?

DSCN2363.JPG - 39kB

maspacifico - 6-5-2008 at 09:16 AM

Before I get ripped for the sailfish.............It was an accident. I don't even fish for billfish anymore, and certainly not from a kayak with 14lb line and no leader. I tried for ten minutes to revive it. Didn't taste bad though.

Udo - 6-5-2008 at 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ElFaro
Udo...

Here is my current setup...I have an Ocean Kayak Prowler "Big Game" olive green. It is setup to accomodate an assortment of fishing accessories. Directly in front of my feet is a molded flat surface to accomodate a fish finder and a compass and whatever else one wishes to "bolt on" to the surface. For the fish finder specifically the right side of the flat surface in front of my right foot is the ideal area to mount the fish finder. There is a battery shelf under the surface to secure the battery. Power is then run up through a hole to the fish finder. The transponder is mounted on the underside of the kayak on a small circular flat surface specifically molded around the front right drain hole to accomodate the transponder mount. The cable is then fed up through the drain hole and into the fish finder.

I prefer to use the GARMIN FORETREX 101 wrist mounted GPS for a host of reasons...It is separate from the fish finder, waterproof, portable, and battery powered to 15 hrs. It is a basic GPS that stores 500 waypoints and 10,000 trackpoints w/ traceback feature. Waypoints can be uploaded/downloaded to a PC. It DOES NOT store maps...which are useless in Baja anyway for near shore/estuary fishing in remote areas. I also prefer a wrist compass. Both my navigation tools are separate from the fish finder in case I'm separated from the kayak.

Besides coming down to take a look at your kayak-fish rig, I would also like to look at your tackle box because I have no idea on what to take as bait/lures when I'm in Baja fishing off my kayak.