BajaNomad

Juncalito Governor's Cup Fishing Torneo

bill erhardt - 6-1-2008 at 02:09 PM

For those in Mulege/Santa Rosalia chafing for some competitive fishing in the wake of the cancellation of the Mulege dorado tournament, there is a Governor's Cup torneo scheduled for June 21 - 22 in Juncalito. Actually, it is a one day tournament with registation on the 21st and fishing on the 22nd.

pargo - 6-2-2008 at 01:33 PM

You don't mean my culito do you?

rhintransit - 6-2-2008 at 01:35 PM

Juncalito? I'm in little El Juncalito south of Loreto...you don't mean my little bay do you?

bill erhardt - 6-2-2008 at 04:35 PM

rhintransit...... Yes, indeed. Juncalito about ten miles south of Loreto. Last weekend the torneo was at El Cardonal, north of Los Barriles, which is smaller and much further off the beaten path than Juncalito.

Udo - 6-2-2008 at 04:49 PM

Ey, Pargo,
That was uncalled for!
El Juncalito is a safe and secure little bay. No sand to speak of, but a cool little ejido.
For the most part, the residents are in charge of the boats moored at Puerto Escondido. Their residents (about 60) are really hospitable and cohesive. Most of the residents live under large palapas. The majority of the residents are Gringos.
The place I would not want to live at is the gated enclave (more like a concentracion camp) just at the entrance to Puerto escondido. Nice houses and RV's but the place feels like an internment camp from WWII (tall chainlink fence with razor wire on top that surrounds the property.)

Tin=Can - 6-2-2008 at 10:21 PM

rhintransit, can you tell me if the beach is still open to set up a camp again this year ?

Don Alley - 6-3-2008 at 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tin=Can
rhintransit, can you tell me if the beach is still open to set up a camp again this year ?

The beach is still open.

I have no idea if there will be any restrictions during the tournament.

Pescador - 6-3-2008 at 07:21 AM

Don, wonder how the southern Copa Gobernador tournaments are doing. The general feeling up around our area is that they have turned in to "who can cheat the most" We have seen fish offloaded, winning fish that were obviously in the freezer, starting times of 7:00 and winning fish back from Tortuga island (26 miles offshore) checked in at 8:30, so the fun has pretty much gone out of the tournaments in the Santa Rosalia area. Hope they are doing better in your neck of the woods

Tommy A - 6-3-2008 at 07:23 AM

Have been trying to e-mail Debbie aka ladyfish in Juncalito maybe have her E-mail wrong. Please say hi for me, her friend in Manhattan Beach Ca. Thanks

vandenberg - 6-3-2008 at 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
Don, wonder how the southern Copa Gobernador tournaments are doing. The general feeling up around our area is that they have turned in to "who can cheat the most" We have seen fish offloaded, winning fish that were obviously in the freezer, starting times of 7:00 and winning fish back from Tortuga island (26 miles offshore) checked in at 8:30, so the fun has pretty much gone out of the tournaments in the Santa Rosalia area. Hope they are doing better in your neck of the woods

Pescador,
You mean to tell us there are actually fishermen who cheat.:?:
Who would have ever thought such a thing.:no::no::biggrin:

Martyman - 6-3-2008 at 08:13 AM

Pargo;
You are gonna get me fired for laughing out loud!! Thanks for the humor!

Tin=Can - 6-3-2008 at 08:41 AM

Don, thanks for the info. A couple years back someone had put up a fence on the road in. I'm trying to work it out so i can be down there about that time. Love to camp on that beach and had some good fishing in years past. Thanks again.

Don Alley - 6-3-2008 at 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador

I have no complaints. Your report is the first I've heard of any significant cheating.

SOUR GRAPES, MAYBE?

bill erhardt - 6-3-2008 at 11:11 AM

I have participated in four Governor's Cup tournaments and finished in the money twice. Most recently, at the torneo in Loreto a couple of weeks ago when I hooked a 35# dorado at 2:30, 50 miles out of the marina and made it back to the scale one minute before the 4:00 p.m. deadline. In none of the GC torneos I have fished have I heard a whisper of any improprieties. Clicero Mercado who was the organizer of the four tornaments I fished in is a pretty savvy guy. It is hard to believe that Clicerio would be taken in by a frozen and rethawed fish that if presented at 8:30 would, if legitimate, have had to be alive and taking somebody's bait and hour or so earlier. Not to say that it is impossible that such a thing happened, but this tale smacks to me a bit of sour grapes.

rhintransit - 6-3-2008 at 03:52 PM

sorry guys haven{t checked in a awhile. i´m still totally boggled at the idea of a fishing tournament in El J. i live there. it{s tiny. there is one little rock boat ramp owned by the Torres family. there is one dirt road. there is only a rocky beach. there is minimal parking. there are zip services. how many people are expected? where will weigh in be? i{ll be in my palapa watching the events...should be extremely weird.

Don Alley - 6-3-2008 at 04:24 PM

My guess is that they will set up awnings at the camping beach. The beer distributors will bring coolers, beer, table,s chairs and awnings. Someone will bring a generator, there will probably be a disco movil guy, and bbqs for the fish. Participants can launch at Puerto Escondido or bring their boats by sea from Loreto, which is probably what I'll do.

Camping, swimming, music, beer...could be fun. Could be weird. Could be fun and weird.

:biggrin:

Pescador - 6-3-2008 at 08:32 PM

Well, there is hope. Yes Clicero is one of the organizers of the Bisbee and that is why I was a little surprised at the laxness at the San Marcos and San Bruno tournaments and last season we did not have a tournament in Santa Rosalia. The first year was a real blast but there were a lot of complaints this season.

rhintransit - 6-4-2008 at 09:00 AM

thanks, that makes more sense than ¨in El Juncalito¨

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Alley
My guess is that they will set up awnings at the camping beach. The beer distributors will bring coolers, beer, table,s chairs and awnings. Someone will bring a generator, there will probably be a disco movil guy, and bbqs for the fish. Participants can launch at Puerto Escondido or bring their boats by sea from Loreto, which is probably what I'll do.

Camping, swimming, music, beer...could be fun. Could be weird. Could be fun and weird.

:biggrin:

pargo - 6-5-2008 at 11:49 AM

Udo, my deepest apologies for uncalled for humor. i couldn't resist..i sometimes forget we're PG-13 here and thanks for the tour of Juncalito by the way. I,ve been there once just out of curiosity. The place was pretty skeletal at the time with mostly just the foundations up.

...and Martyman, if you really laughed at that then you're going down with me when the humor police show up

Tin=Can - 6-5-2008 at 09:42 PM

ok, put me in handcuffs because i laughed my ass off. its a humor thing

Martyman - 6-6-2008 at 04:00 PM

I hope they use the fuzzy handcuffs.

Udo - 6-6-2008 at 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by pargo
Udo, my deepest apologies for uncalled for humor. i couldn't resist..i sometimes forget we're PG-13 here and thanks for the tour of Juncalito by the way. I,ve been there once just out of curiosity. The place was pretty skeletal at the time with mostly just the foundations up.

...and Martyman, if you really laughed at that then you're going down with me when the humor police show up

:biggrin:Hola pargo...
apologies accepted.:yes:
I tought you might have been another one of those nomads that I have perceived as sarcastic. And rather than stating constructive or helpful comments, they chose to make snide or smart-donkey comments about a previous post. Although such remarks are definitely in the small minority, and there appear to be such members in every group.