BajaNomad

HID LIGHTS, cheap... Custom made light bar... JAN. UPDATE: BROKEN!... June Update: Replaced!

David K - 6-1-2008 at 03:37 PM

ORIGINAL POST 6-1-08.
===========================================
1-4-09 EDIT: LIGHT HOUSING FAILED BAJA ROAD ... Cracked! Do not buy if serious off road driving.... Trip to Gonzaga Bay did them in!
===========================================
6-1-08:
I was refered to this sale by an off road race fabricator... who I have been asking about lighting for the Tacoma.

Here's what the description says:

7" HID Off Road Light with a wide and very bright 35 watt Euro-Beam Light pattern. Features include a durable, hi-impact ABS housing with a red anodized aluminum trim ring. These have an internal starter and ballast. Easy two wire installation. Each light includes a clear polycarbonate protective lens cover to protect the tempered glass lens from rocks. The wiring harness to connect to the included blue back lit rocker switch is also included.

Normal price for HID lamps are over $500, so at a little over $100 it was impossible to resist getting a pair!

This is not meant as an add for the auto parts store chain (Kragen)... I just wanted to share the info in case you may want to get some off road racing type of lamps, cheaply. I got these today in Vista... but online or in the advertisement the deal should be all over.

[Edited on 6-27-2009 by David K]

Roberto - 6-1-2008 at 03:51 PM

I hope the lights work out for you, but just to be clear Hella HIDs are around $500. They are race-proven for years and the standard in the industry. The lights you show here are pretty much an unknown (Chinese-made) quantity. Hope they hold up.

David K - 6-1-2008 at 04:06 PM

Yes, I know... I said the price for HID lamps are (typically) over $500... You will note I put "thirfty Nomads" in the subject line.

Anyway, I appreciated the deal and I think others may be as well... Once I get them mounted and use them, I will report if they are any good or junk.

I am not the only Nomad who would not pay $1,000 for a pair of lamps for the few times I off road at night... but, under $250 with tax is another story... and they are HID, not halogen lamps.

[Edited on 8-28-2008 by David K]

Roberto - 6-1-2008 at 04:58 PM

I can't justify HIDs either. And that's why I use these: http://www.4wheelparts.com/Rallye-4000-Series-Driving-Lamp.a...

Quality is just as good as the HIDs from the same manufacturer (in fact they are the same light with a different bulb). I have four, and they are plenty bright for what I do.

[Edited on 6-1-2008 by Roberto]

Fatboy - 6-1-2008 at 11:51 PM

David, those are VERY BRIGHT lights...nice white light, there is no comparsion to standard 100w KC's or Hella's. Plus they only draw 35 watts. I wonder how they will hold up...keep us posted.

Roberto...You run 4 of the Rallye 4000's lights, with the 100w bulbs? Seems like a lot of draw on a stock system.
Also seems like a lot of money for some off road lights, $125 a pop? Hell, run to Harbor Freight and get 4 of their 6" driving lights for under $20 each and be good enough for anything except racing....

bajalou - 6-2-2008 at 06:43 AM

I have HID lights from another manufacturer. they are the 35 watt type and put out a amazing amount of light - but the real value is in the low power usage. I can't tell the difference in brightness when I turn off the motor with these - but I sure could with the regular headlights or halogen driving lights. A racer friend put them on his 12 car and I haven't heard of any complaints.

Baja12valve - 6-2-2008 at 09:10 AM

Old school here. I use halogen airplane landing lights, obscene amount of wattage, but a obscene amount of light. 150 amp alternator helps.

David K - 6-2-2008 at 09:41 AM

Yes, with HID we are talking about using only 35 watts to project a white beam a mile long. Halogen 100 watt + or older KC Daylighter/ aircraft type filament bulbs that draw 100-150 watts do need relays, heavy wire cable, good sources of electricity, etc.

HID is 'new school' lighting...

I have owned KC lights in the past and still have a giant Cibie Super Oscar quartz iodine 55 watt lamp (used in the 70's for off road racing). It was on my dune buggy, and maybe I will use it too on my truck?!

Next, I need a light bar for the front of my truck...

Nice!

Photog - 6-2-2008 at 01:26 PM

Good thread; thank you all for the info!

Ken Cooke - 6-6-2008 at 11:26 AM

Wow! HIDs for $100/pair is definitely a great deal. I run a pair of 150w KCs on my front bumper and 4 Hella 55w lights across the roof area of my Jeep. 3 pairs of HIDs would simply rock my night runs in the desert & in Baja... Thanks for passing this information along, David.

Here's my friend Mike's Unlimited JK Rubicon with 9" Halogen lights, 4x5" Halogen KCs, and pencil beam lights.

We didn't use these lights on the trail in Baja at Baja Grande, but its' nice to have them when needed. Mike runs a red top Optima battery, but has a stock alternator 135 amp unit on his Jeep. My alternator is also a 135 amp unit, and has provided trouble-free recovery usage of my lights and winch system when used in conjunction with my Yellow top Optima battery.

Question: David, you consider upgrading your battery to a dry cell unit for the rigors and washboarding of Baja???\

bajalou - 6-6-2008 at 11:46 AM

Optima's aren't "dry cells" but they can take all the washboards. I have 4 6" HIDs and one 9" HID on my Bronco - 2 6" flood and the rest are spots. 35w each - and each puts out the light of a 135w Halogen. Using less juice than 2 or your 100w lights.

Roberto - 6-6-2008 at 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke

I BELIEVE they are $100 each. Still a great price.

David K - 6-6-2008 at 06:53 PM

Right Roberto...

Hey Ken, this is what I posted: "Normal price for HID lamps are over $500, so at a little over $100 it was impossible to resist getting a pair!"

So, at a little over $100 each, I got a pair... with tax: $259.78 ($119.99 each to Kragen and $19.80 to the government). A pair of name brand HIDs would have been about $1,100.

Yesterday, I went to Off Road Warehouse and 4 Wheel Parts to get prices on a light bar and installation...

A lighting bar for the front of my Tacoma (bolts on) was about $300 (from KC Hilights) at both places. Installation of the bar was $70 at ORW and $140 at 4WP. To wire up the lights, with switch, etc. was about $140 at both places... over $500!

Tomorrow, my future step-son who works on off road race trucks will take measurements to make one... it can then be powder coated or chromed.

Stay tuned!!

Ken Cooke - 6-6-2008 at 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David KA lighting bar for the front of my Tacoma (bolts on) was about $300 (from KC Hilights) at both places. Installation of the bar was $70 at ORW and $140 at 4WP. To wire up the lights, with switch, etc. was about $140 at both places... over $500!

You could also Rhino-coat the lightbar which would make it completely impervious to desert conditions, and make it look even more stout and one-off all at the same time. Chrome-dipping is terrible for the environment, and Power coating (along with chrome triple dipping) does scratch and degrade over time. Just a thought...

David K - 6-6-2008 at 07:08 PM

Thanks Ken... I appeciate that!

How was TJ... you didn't call!:?::biggrin:

Ken Cooke - 6-6-2008 at 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Thanks Ken... I appeciate that!

How was TJ... you didn't call!:?::biggrin:

Ummm. Good times, GREAT food, prompt 4WD service, everything that makes me wish I had a 2nd home there in town.

TIJUANA ME HACE FELIZ! :bounce:

Light bar

John M - 6-6-2008 at 08:38 PM

David, I've been looking for a light bar for my Toyota and about the only one I'd consider is from Pro Comp - I tried to attach an image but can't.

It's on the right side of the page, halfway down, follow the link. And....it's on a silver Toyota.

Hmmmm, maybe the link isn't clickable, so copy and paste maybe.

John M

http://www.explorerprocomp.com/PDFs/07cat/100-103.pdf

Ken Cooke - 6-6-2008 at 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by John M

Hmmmm, maybe the link isn't clickable, so copy and paste maybe.

John M

http://www.explorerprocomp.com/PDFs/07cat/100-103.pdf

Its a PDF file, John. I don't have the Adobe software to open the image. Otherwise, I'd host it on my website. David might be better off buying a unit that is pre-measured/fabricated - it would definitely be more economical.

Roberto - 6-6-2008 at 08:55 PM

I have had a light bar made by Randy Ellis on my F350 for years. It's been through hell and back, and is a bolt-on application. Here is the web page for the Toyota one.
http://www.randyellisdesign.com/TOYOTA%20TACOMA%20LIGHT%20BA...

Ken Cooke - 6-6-2008 at 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Roberto
I have had a light bar made by Randy Ellis on my F350 for years. It's been through hell and back, and is a bolt-on application. Here is the web page for the Toyota one.
http://www.randyellisdesign.com/TOYOTA%20TACOMA%20LIGHT%20BA...

$249 and already powdercoated in Chrome - this should do the trick for David w/o a lot of extra expense to deal with.

TMW - 6-7-2008 at 09:08 AM

I'd use one that bolts to the frame like above and not to the bumper. Might as well get some protection along with the lights. The Squarecircle has a neat roof mounted LED light bar.

Ken Cooke - 6-7-2008 at 11:03 AM

I just talked to David on the cell. He's on his way to get the work started at Craig Stewart's shop (son of Ivan Stewart). The way it sounds is if the light bar will be measured to the frame, and this is going to be done correctly from the start. David is smart by going to a fab shop, and not ordering a flimsy unit that just bolts on top of a flimsy stock bumper. Over the long run, he'll be happy with both a built bumper guard and some bright HID lights for all of his trips into the Baja Backcountry.

David K - 6-7-2008 at 09:13 PM

Right you are Ken! I spoke with Craig Stewart (Ivan's son, owner of 'Stewart's Race Works') briefly while Josh was under the front of my truck taking measurements.

There are some awesome Trophy and Pro Trucks in the shop, I must say.

Craig has a silver Tacoma too (he would only own the best)!

Anyway, the new light bar will bolt directly to the frame... yes! Josh said Craig will probably want one after he sees the one being fab'd for my truck!

[Edited on 6-8-2008 by David K]

BAJACAT - 6-10-2008 at 08:55 PM

looking at this post for ways in saving money,latter i will post on a separated thread,about ONBOARD AIR SYSTEM,for less than $100.I have install mine already it will look good with my 6" lift that Im doing this week.
PS(he would only own the best).that means he drives a DODGE RAM, and parks the TOYOTA.:lol::lol:

Roberto - 6-10-2008 at 08:57 PM

Cat, the main justification for a lift is being able to run bigger tires, which give you more ground clearance, and a better tire-to-obstacle ratio. Are you getting bigger tires?

BAJACAT - 6-10-2008 at 09:04 PM

ROBERTO right now I have a leveling kit on my truck and i was able to fit 33's TOYOS OPENCOUNTRY.With this 6" kit I will be running 315'by 17,they are like the 35's in size.

Leased or own??

Sharksbaja - 6-10-2008 at 09:14 PM

Ok I'm confused. David are you leasing that truck or did you buy it? I only ask because it seems odd that someone would make such mods if only to have to remove them later.
Just curious, thanx.

Cat, u2u coming later.
That is a 2500 you have, right??

BAJACAT - 6-10-2008 at 09:29 PM

No Sharks it's a 04 RAM 1500 4WD W/thr 5.7 HEMI,Im running 370 HP right now,

Ken Cooke - 6-10-2008 at 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja
I only ask because it seems odd that someone would make such mods if only to have to remove them later.

I started out with a lease on my vehicle, but I will be purchasing it from the bank later this year.

Bajacat, my On Board Air system set me back about $550 -- I used it to air up the rear tires from 20 p.s.i. to 30 p.s.i., and the power my setup has is insane. If I can plum the air compressors to the air lockers in my differentials and get everything set up in time, I will be able to run the rocks in Tecate early next month. The compressor on my Rubicon is DOA and with two new compressors, I may bypass the OEM one if I cannot figure out what the problem is in time.

BAJACAT - 6-10-2008 at 10:14 PM

Ken $500 for a air system is alot money to me, i ratter expend more on some other things, right now my air system puts out 15 lbs of air in 3+/-,thats all I need for now..

Ken Cooke - 6-10-2008 at 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BAJACAT
Ken $500 for a air system is alot money to me,

I wasn't going to spend $1,000.00 for the Kilby On-Board Air system, nor was I going to spend $450 on a Air Tank that could be stolen out of my Jeep, so I know how you feel. Tell us how this works out when you get it installed.

Power Tank

Kilby System

[Edited on 6-11-2008 by Ken Cooke]

bajaguy - 6-11-2008 at 06:26 AM

Quote:

I wasn't going to spend $1,000.00 for the Kilby On-Board Air system, nor was I going to spend $450 on a Air Tank that could be stolen out of my Jeep, so I know how you feel. Tell us how this works out when you get it installed.

Power Tank

Kilby System

[Edited on 6-11-2008 by Ken Cooke]

Ken:......bought my 20LB C0-2 from Craig's list. Total cost for tank, hose, regulator was about $90.00. It's not pretty, but it works.

David K - 6-11-2008 at 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja
Ok I'm confused. David are you leasing that truck or did you buy it? I only ask because it seems odd that someone would make such mods if only to have to remove them later.
Just curious, thanx.

Cat, u2u coming later.
That is a 2500 you have, right??

It matters not, because if I was buying it, I would still remove the air bag suspension and light bar when I went to buy another truck... and install it on them, if they would fit.

My truck is still less than 3 years old, on a 5 year lease... so just over half way along. Like Ken, I might buy this one or see what Toyota has in mind for 2010...

Gadget - 6-11-2008 at 09:03 AM

When you get the beam mount done David, its time for a night run.

Where we going?

David K - 6-11-2008 at 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gadget
When you get the beam mount done David, its time for a night run.

Where we going?

I agree... what's closest... Devil's Slide out from Ocotillo Wells?

Gadget - 6-11-2008 at 03:48 PM

Yeah, sounds good.

Somewhere with a mix of stuff and take some Jeep guys with us Maybe?

Ken Cooke - 6-11-2008 at 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gadget
and take some Jeep guys with us Maybe?

:light:

BAJACAT - 6-11-2008 at 09:32 PM

Ken the system is already on my truck,I haven't tested it in the field,but this 4 of july weekend is going to be a good time to do it.I will be going back to Laguna Hanson.

Ken Cooke - 6-11-2008 at 10:47 PM

Quote:
Ken the system is already on my truck,I haven't tested it in the field,but this 4 of july weekend is going to be a good time to do it.I will be going back to Laguna Hanson.

Laguna Hanson? How about TECATE with the BAJA CRAWLERS!?! They're doing a massive 4WD and Campout in the hills near El Hongo with JustRuns 4WD Club of San Diego. I'll be the leader, although not many Americans are going this year... :no:

We'll find something exciting for you and your Dodge to do out there! :bounce:

Gadget - 6-12-2008 at 03:29 PM

Quote:

Gonna head up there and get your long weekend non-stop fix of Umpa music are ya Gato?

BAJACAT - 6-12-2008 at 09:15 PM

Yeap ,thats the whole idea Will,plus I need a break too.This will be a good time to test my 6" FABTECH,lift kit,also to deliver some Grills that my friend build from scrap metal that came out of the Lakeside job, he will be testing his 2008 Tundra with 6" Procomp lift kit....

Ken thanks for the invite, but already have plans, Im leading a 5 car group to HANSON &RANCHO SAN LUIS,I want to visit Hernan in his ranch.

Ken Cooke - 6-12-2008 at 09:32 PM

Quote:
Ken thanks for the invite, but already have plans, Im leading a 5 car group to HANSON &RANCHO SAN LUIS,I want to visit Hernan in his ranch.

Be careful out there. The Pole Line group took an I.F.S. Chevy pickup out into the desert, and its' steering wasn't up to the stress and load of the heavier 35" tires, and you wouldn't believe the trouble it gave one of the guys.

David K - 7-5-2008 at 08:30 PM

OK, Josh did most of the work this weekend and I took a bunch of photos to share the process... plus some pics of the cool Baja racers in the shop... Stay tuned!

The bar is now going to get fully welded and polished for the final finish... which could be black or silver paint, or powder coat, or Rhino coating, or chrome! A final fit on my truck will be next week, then off to whatever shop for the finish...

David K - 7-5-2008 at 09:12 PM

Here are a few photos of the process... it's not a piece of cake!

A back side view of just one of the professional race trucks with tilt up light bar on the roof, at the shop...

Many thanks to Josh for his hard work... and his sister's share for my Father's Day gift!

Pacifico - 7-6-2008 at 08:17 AM

David -
So how are the lights???

TMW - 7-6-2008 at 10:12 AM

Looks like a great job being done.

David K - 7-6-2008 at 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pacifico
David -
So how are the lights???

The bar is not finished, so no lights on and running yet. I just put them on so you could see how they will be mounted and look on the bar... The bar still needs to be welded fully, then sanded/ smoothed out for a paint/ powder/rhino/ or chrome finish.

David K - 7-6-2008 at 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Looks like a great job being done.

Yes, and even if there are no lights on the bar, it would be a great bumper protector or car pusher... bolted right to the frame with F911 bolts. Thanks!

Bob H - 7-6-2008 at 10:53 AM

David, looks like a very fine custom job there. Can't wait to see the finished product! Then, will you be able to remove all of this when you get your new truck in a couple of years?
Bob H

David K - 7-6-2008 at 11:01 AM

Yes, very easy... four bolts connect the bar to the Tacoma frame... The hardest part seemed to be when Josh had to drill the four holes! Toyota has a hard frame down there... double sheets of metal and weld bead to drill through. That's all done now... just finish work on the bar itself to be done.

BAJACAT - 7-6-2008 at 09:32 PM

:mad: I was told that my ruck will run much better with this set up ( 6"FABTECH Susp, lift),the truck looks good but it sucks now on off road,I will be calling 4WP tomorrow,my suspention bottoms out with no effort..:mad::mad:

BAJACAT - 7-6-2008 at 09:33 PM

sorry David I didn't mean to highjack your thread..

David K - 7-7-2008 at 07:06 AM

No worries Jose... A new Fabtech suspension thread is in order, though!

Light bar update/ HID explained

David K - 7-12-2008 at 07:33 AM

Josh has finished welding the bar and I will go to Santee today for the final fit... as welding can change the shape.

To look the best, on my truck, I think a chrome finish will be in order... that takes a week or so to have done... which will be fine, as Baja Angel and I will be on our vacation.

Yesterday, I installed the switch and wiring for the two lamps and turned them on... they work!

I found an excellent full explanation of HID, online:

HID light sources (xenon and bi-xenon)

HID stands for high-intensity discharge, the technical term for the electric arc that produces the light. Automotive HID lamps are commonly called 'xenon headlamps', although they are actually metal halide lamps that contain xenon gas. The xenon gas allows the lamps to produce minimally adequate amounts of light immediately upon startup and speed the warmup time. If argon were used instead, as is commonly done in street and other stationary metal halide lamp applications, it would take several minutes for the lamps to reach their full output. HID headlamps use a small, purpose-designed burner which produces more light than ordinary tungsten and tungsten-halogen bulbs. The light from HID headlamps has a distinct bluish tint when compared with tungsten-filament headlamps. The high intensity of the arc comes from metallic salts that are vapourised within the arc chamber.

HID headlamp bulbs produce between 2,800 and 3,500 lumens from between 35 and 38 watts of electrical power, while halogen filament headlamp bulbs produce between 700 and 2,100 lumens from between 40 and 72 watts at 12.8 V [13][14][15]. Because of the increased amounts of light available from HID bulbs, HID headlamps producing a given beam pattern can be made smaller than halogen headlamps producing a comparable beam pattern. Alternatively, the larger size can be retained, in which case the xenon headlamp can produce a more robust beam pattern.

HID headlamp bulbs do not run on low-voltage DC current, so they require a ballast with either an internal or external ignitor. The ballast controls the current to the bulb. When the headlamps are switched on, the ignitor provides rapidly pulsed current at several thousand volts to initiate the arc between the electrodes within the bulb. Once the arc is started, its heat begins to vapourise the metallic salts within the arc chamber, and the ballast gradually transitions from startup operation to arc-maintenance operation. Once the arc is completely stabilised, the ballast provides 85 V in conventional D1 and D2 systems, or 42 V with mercury-free D3 and D4 systems.

The correlated color temperature of HID headlamp bulbs, at between 4100 K and 4400 K, is often described in marketing literature as being closer to the 6500 K of sunlight compared with tungsten-halogen bulbs at 3000 K to 3550 K. Nevertheless, HID headlamps' light output is not similar to daylight. The spectral power distribution (SPD) of an automotive HID headlamp is discontinuous, while the SPD of a filament lamp, like that of the sun, is a continuous curve. Moreover, the color rendering index (CRI) of tungsten-halogen headlamps (≥0.98) is much closer than that of HID headlamps (~0.75) to standardised sunlight (1.00). Studies have shown no significant safety effect of this degree of CRI variation in headlighting.

The arc within an HID headlamp bulb generates considerable short-wave ultraviolet (UV) light, but none of it escapes the bulb. A UV-absorbing hard glass shield is incorporated around the bulb's arc tube. This is important to prevent degradation of UV-sensitive components and materials in headlamps, such as polycarbonate lenses and reflector hardcoats. The lamps do emit considerable near-UV light.

European vehicles equipped with HID headlamps are required by ECE regulation 48 also to be equipped with headlamp lens cleaning systems and automatic beam levelling control. Both of these measures are intended to reduce the tendency for high-output headlamps to cause high levels of glare to other road users.

HID headlamp bulb types D1R, D1S, D2R, D2S and 9500 contain the toxic heavy metal mercury. The disposal of mercury-containing vehicle parts is increasingly regulated throughout the world, for example under US EPA regulations. Newer HID bulb designs D3R, D3S, D4R, and D4S contain no mercury, but are not electrically or physically compatible with headlamps designed for previous bulb types.

The arc light source in an HID headlamp is fundamentally different from the filament light source used in tungsten/halogen headlamps. For that reason, HID-specific optics are used to collect and distribute the light. Installing HID bulbs in headlamps designed to take filament bulbs results in improperly-focused beam patterns and excessive glare, and is therefore illegal in almost all countries

Ken Cooke - 7-12-2008 at 10:52 AM

I´m on vacation too!:lol:

I´m waiting for photos of that MASTERPIECE IN METAL, so keep us posted. Chrome should look great. Stainless, triple nickel plate, too. Just be sure to take pics!!

The fit was good!

David K - 7-12-2008 at 08:04 PM

The bar fits perfectly... and the lights are awesome (so far)!

Here Josh slides the light bar onto the Tacoma frame... and bolts it on...

Then we mount the lights and flip on the switch!

Compare the HID Xenon light brightness and color to street legal halogen head lights and fog lights...

Josh said they appear just as bright as the same size HID on the Class 1 buggy he has worked on at Raceworks.

Here is the kind of trucks they usually work on at Stewart's Raceworks!

Okay, the bar will get totally sanded and cleaned up, then chromed! Should have something to show you guys in 3 weeks or less! Then let's go to the desert or Baja!!!:light:

Ken Cooke - 7-14-2008 at 08:27 PM

Those lights will outshine your headlights and fogs by far.

BUMP FOR THE BAJA TOYOTA!

David K - 7-18-2008 at 07:46 AM

Yah, I was impressed... I can't wait to get back from our Vegas/ Yellowstone trip... and see the new light bar on my truck with those zillion candlepower HIDs blazing!

Hope you are back home safe Ken!

David K - 8-14-2008 at 08:06 AM

Josh called to say the bar is back from the chrome shop... I will go to Santee this Saturday to have it installed... stay tuned!:bounce::bounce::bounce:

Ken Cooke - 8-16-2008 at 05:55 PM

Quote:
Josh called to say the bar is back from the chrome shop... I will go to Santee this Saturday to have it installed... stay tuned!:bounce::bounce::bounce:

With your two HID lights, your headlamps and fog lamps will have little effect in comparison. It should be fun for you seeing the desert at night! :bounce:

All done, mounted and operating!

David K - 8-17-2008 at 09:22 AM

The chrome finish looks great on front of my Tacoma... Josh says they used a heavy mix of nickel so the chrome will be durable, as on a race truck. Here Josh is securing the wires.

To insure no ugliness:

Ah, what a beautiful light bar... Hooray lights!

Last night, lighting up Elizabeth's black Corolla hood...

The HIDs turn her black car to white!

Okay, now it's time for a night run! Ken, Gadget, Roy...???

Bajalover - 8-17-2008 at 09:33 AM

Dave, Glad to see you back. Great looking bar and lights. I'm Jealous !!
They'll be really giving those Semi's on hwy 1 a scare when you've got them on and they only see light coming around the corner. They'll move over because they'll think you're a Semi too. They're a good safety investment.

David K - 8-17-2008 at 09:33 AM

Any of you with 2005 or later Tacomas who would like to contact Josh, send me a U2U... The bar can be finished in paint, powdercoat or Rhinocoat as well.

David K - 8-17-2008 at 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajalover
Dave, Glad to see you back. Great looking bar and lights. I'm Jealous !!
They'll be really giving those Semi's on hwy 1 a scare when you've got them on and they only see light coming around the corner. They'll move over because they'll think you're a Semi too. They're a good safety investment.

Thanks...

Umm, these are not for Highway One... or any highway...

HIDs are way too intense to shine on another vehicle... That would be cruel!

These are for off road use only... Laguna Salada, Shell Island, deserted dirt roads, etc.

Bob H - 8-17-2008 at 09:52 AM

I saw the finished product live yesterday. Wow... very nice job indeed. In full daylight they lighted up my garage!
Bob H

BAJACAT - 8-17-2008 at 05:05 PM

Ken,Gadget,Roy", what about me I do own a KightRider bike light that I can borrow from my Mountain Bike, a full 12 watts of power,

[Edited on 8-18-2008 by BAJACAT]

Johannes - 8-17-2008 at 06:31 PM

David
Now you can add some more lights to your bar
<ttp://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=95058>
cheap

Johannes - 8-17-2008 at 06:33 PM

Love it, w8ish it was on my car! here again for the additions
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnu...

David K - 8-18-2008 at 08:59 AM

Thanks, but no more lights... The two big HIDs are all I need, the Tacoma already has fog lights (in the bumper) as you can see in the photos. To add more tabs would require re-chroming the bar, anyway.

Now, maybe I can switch the halogen fog light bulbs for HID (xenon) bulbs???:light:

David K - 8-18-2008 at 09:00 AM

Jose, of course you can come too!!!

Gadget - 8-19-2008 at 12:06 PM

Light bar looks cool David.
Suggestion: lock the bolts somehow on the bar to frame connection, lock nuts, deform the end of the bolt, double nut etc.
You want to make it so some one with wrench or multi-tool can't get the bar off with just one tool. Same with the light if you can.
A pro thief will get it if he wants it. Make it so the drive by idiot can't.
A lttle HID trivia: the light emitted is full spectrum, like the sun. Measured in Ks (kelvin) not candlepower, single spectrum light.

For anyone interested, finally sorted out the rear window issue (stuck down in tailgate, no worky) on GSB. Completion of project on hold for needed funds to purchase parts. What a stinking hassle that has been!

Jose, u2u me if you want and we can discuss your lift issues.

[Edited on 8-19-2008 by Gadget]

Ken Cooke - 8-19-2008 at 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David KOkay, now it's time for a night run! Ken, Gadget, Roy...???

2 night run opportunities: Saturday (into) Sunday in Tecate, Baja California - Smuggler's Canyon - August 23, 2008
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/justruns/message/6979

Joshua Tree NIGHT RUN w/Ken Cooke - August 30, 2008 -
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/justruns/message/6987

Here are two opportunities over the next 2 weeks - I will be attending both events - I will be leading the Joshua Tree overnighter.

BAJACAT - 8-19-2008 at 06:33 PM

I will do better Will I will give you a call.

Ken Cooke - 8-19-2008 at 10:34 PM

Quote:
I will do better Will I will give you a call.

Joshua Tree NIGHT RUN w/Ken Cooke - August 30, 2008 -
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/justruns/message/6987

The trip through Joshua Tree on Labor Day weekend is more full-size friendly. Not too harsh on the vehicles, and lots of fun. I will probably set up a tent and sleep out on the trail at the end of the night so that I can feel refreshed for the drive home.

David K - 8-27-2008 at 08:31 PM

An update on the 'cheap' HID lights... As you saw, the lightbar is installed as are the two lights... One of them took 3 flips of the switch to stay lit (it would come on and go right back out the first two flips)... Once the element was warm it light up fine... the first time, afterwards. That wasn't satisfactory to me.

I took the one light back to Kragen and they replaced it (just inside the 90 day warantee from the purchase date)... Now they both light up on the first try.

Took them to a nearby site the other night and it lit up an area the size of a football field... I am REALLY happy. Now, they must be 'Baja Proven'... this Saturday, we are heading south of San Felipe... and I plan on doing some night runs! I will try and do some photos of the HID lights compared to the standard headlights on the road/ beach ahead. I hope my camera will capture it. :light:

bajacrawler - 9-28-2008 at 09:40 AM

Kragen has the HID lights on sale for $99.97. It was in the Sunday paper this morning.

David K - 9-28-2008 at 07:47 PM

Discover Baja had a special gray whale video show Wednesday night, and we pulled in just as The squarecircle and Blanche got to the sidewalk in front of our truck. Naturally, I flipped the switch and the HIDs sizzled to life. I will let Roy tell you if they were bright enough for the bucks... :O

Gadget - 9-29-2008 at 03:49 PM

David, I am not likeing the talk about one of the beams not lighting up when switched on and the lights "sizzeling" on. That was just for dramatic effect, correct?

Do make sure everything is wired correctly, fused properly etc. Those lights should light right up and only be a little blue for a second or 2 until the beam is fully lit.

An electrical fire in Baja could be a very big bummer regardless of how much was saved on the light purchase.

All the connections should be soldered or high grade connectors (I use marine type) and shrink tubed or all of the above to protect and prevent from vibrations, dust, wet coastal air / salt spray.

Baja, as you know, will find anywhere corners are cut on mechanical installations.

David K - 9-29-2008 at 04:14 PM

Okay Gadget... maybe worth double checking. However, I did use the wiring kit that came with the lights which is fused. I bought an illuminting rocker switch from Pep Boys... all grounded to specs.

I replaced the one that wouldn't stay lit unless flipped on 3 times in a row... the newer on is fine.

The beauty of HIDs is they only draw 35 watts to provide the same light of a Halogen 150 watt lamp or more...

Now, the term 'sizzle' was mine... probably because the arc causes a static RF sizzle sound in my radio speakers when it is on. The light beam is blue at first and gets brighter and whiter over about 5 seconds to maximum.

Does all that sound okay to you?

Gadget - 9-30-2008 at 10:53 AM

Yep, sounds like you're good to go Bro.

I'm paranoid of electrical fires now that I've had one. Could have been the end of GSB, but was at least a huge mess to clean up and repair.

Just want to spare anyone else the misery, especially if south of the border.

David K - 9-30-2008 at 03:28 PM

You are a good amigo Wil!

9 months since last post in this thread...

David K - 6-27-2009 at 10:23 AM

On Jan. 4, after we returned from the Lost Mission found trip http://vivabaja.com/109 I edited the top of this thread with this: 1-4-09 EDIT: LIGHT HOUSING FAILED BAJA ROAD ... Cracked! Do not buy if serious off road driving.... Trip to Gonzaga Bay did them in! Roberto was right to be concerned!

Josh repaired them with fiberglass, but the fact remains that ABS plastic lamps did not hole up to the Baja... or at least these Chinese made HID lights sold at Kragen and now Off Road Warehouse (people want cheap)!

Well, a year later (last week, this past Father's Day) Josh surprised me with ...

stay tuned...

David K - 6-27-2009 at 10:27 AM

Hella 4000 (8") Metal 100 watt pencil beam lamps...:bounce:

I installed them (with a Hella wire kit including a relay) and they work very nice... Let's see it the road to Gonzaga Bay does anything to them!!!

bajalou - 6-27-2009 at 11:42 AM

I have some HIDs that are not cheap compared to halogen but are compared to Hella or KC HIDs are very reasonable. We put 4 (2 spot and 2 flood) on a Class 8 truck in the Baja 250 and they came through will flying colors. The 4 HIDs take less electricity than your 2 halogens and for some this is a deciding factor. More light without having to install a larger alternator.

If the light bar is vibration free, those should last you a long time. Looks good.

David K - 6-27-2009 at 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by arbee
They look nice. What is the difference between the pencil beam and the euro beam?

Pencil or spot beam puts light further down the road/ dry lake bed, etc. The lighted area is not a lot wider than a road, but boy is the road lit up!

A driving beam (or euro beam as the Kragen HIDs were called) is more oval in shape, lights up an area about the same as your head lights with your high beams on (high and low together)... but HID or 100 watt halogen are brighters... HID is a lot brighter.

I am researching HID conversions for my 100 watt H1 halogen bulbs... That would reduce my draw to 35 watts and give me 2-3 times more light!

With HIDs, it looks like the sun is out and you can see colors of plants or whatever.

Ken Cooke - 6-27-2009 at 02:24 PM

I think that is cool you were given these lights for Father's Day.
I heard from a co-worker's husband that the Kragen HID lights
flickered when he drove his Baja Bug on the hard stuff at night.
Those Hellas should last you just fine.

David K - 6-27-2009 at 08:57 PM

Flickering may be a loose wire, and that needs to be fixed pronto... Tell him to exchange it at Kragen within the 90 day warantee, if it is not a loose wire!

Bob H - 6-28-2009 at 08:30 AM

The lights look very nice... but THREE pages of posts on lights? Wow.... Bob H

David K - 6-28-2009 at 09:28 AM

Yah Bob... it is a brightest light thing, like some kind of mid-life crisis need maybe? :lol:

Ken Cooke - 6-28-2009 at 10:46 AM

Quote:
Yah Bob... it is a brightest light thing, like some kind of mid-life crisis need maybe? :lol:

My posts about the Jeep have been as long or longer...

Question for light people

Lee - 6-28-2009 at 10:59 AM

Seriously, short of a gift of lights, is it the fun factor, cosmetically speaking, that some are after? More light, more fun?

Got ''fog lights'' on all my vehicles, and don't find myself feeling deprived of light, at night.

Other than seeing what's down the road, do any light people have a vision problem? Is there a utility factor here that would justify the cost?

David K - 6-28-2009 at 11:23 AM

There is a world at night that stock headlights just don't expose... If you either must drive off road at night, or just want to for fun... the more light like the sun, the more you can experience the drive... It is a safety factor as well... specially when driving at speed.

Fog lights are short, wide pattern beams and are helpful when going slow or cornering as they light up wide left and right of the vehicle.

Driving lights are like your stock headlights on high beam, they spread the light out in an oval pattern.

Pencil beams are for long distance lighting straight ahead of you, about the width of the road... lets you see stuff before you are on top of it.

The type of headlights available:

Sealed beams are dim, warm, draw various currents depending on bulb, cheap.

Halogen are bright, hot, draw lots of current, cheap.

HID (Xenon) are brighter with light closer to natural daylight, cool, draw little current, expensive.

LED lights are the future... bright, cool, draw every little current, very expensive now.

Ken Cooke - 6-28-2009 at 11:39 AM

Driving from Bahia de Los Angeles to San Francisquito, having extra driving lights was essential. There simply was no other way after dark, unless you are a local and know the road by memory.

TMW - 6-28-2009 at 12:02 PM

I think having good lights for night driving is always a good ideal. Is it absolutely necessary probably not unless your racing. On my GMC I have the high beams wired to the low beams and a set of 55 watt driving lites thru relays at just above bumper level. I also have wiring for a 100 watt pencil beam on the top of the bumper guard putting it at hood level. I seldom use the 100 watt pencil except for chasing.

roverdude - 10-6-2009 at 02:24 PM

David,
Did you know you can convert those 4000 to HID with a simple kit for under $100!

DonBaja - 10-6-2009 at 07:55 PM

David K I used this guy http://www.kbrowncustoms.com I think he is in your area also.

[Edited on 10-7-2009 by DonBaja]

David K - 10-7-2009 at 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by roverdude
David,
Did you know you can convert those 4000 to HID with a simple kit for under $100!

Yes, I know... thank you. I have talked with the local San Diego HID converting company (1OFFMotorsports) several times about what is involved... For now, the 100 watt halogens will do...

Ken Cooke - 10-9-2009 at 07:25 PM

Quote:
Quote:
David,

Yes, I know... thank you. I have talked with the local San Diego HID converting company (1OFFMotorsports) several times about what is involved... For now, the 100 watt halogens will do...

David, can you explain to us what was said? What was your deciding factor for this decision?

David K - 10-9-2009 at 10:01 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
David,

David, can you explain to us what was said? What was your deciding factor for this decision?

Hi Ken,

I didn't make any firm 'decision'. HIDs are awesome with the true daylight they create.

I stalled because money is tight with this nightmare economy, and I rarely use the lights... I am waiting for things to improve before investing $130-$200 in making my Hellas 'as bright as the sun'. I didn't even do a night run last weekend in Baja.

As for our conversations and emails, it was about how to install their HID bulbs and ballast modules in or on the Hellas, and I requested to pick them up in person rather than mail order... since they are a local company. I even told them I understand small business and if it is based in a garage, I understand fully! They only offered to mail them to me, however.

Anyway, they did send me a detailed photo installation guide on how to install them in my Hella 4000s. One other issue was a 3/4" or 1" hole needs to be drilled in the lamp body and I am not real excited about doing that. I would have felt better if they would have allowed me to come to them and see the product and perhaps install them right there.

These are the HID convert kits that Off Road Warehouse sells and that impressed me since ORW was so wise in solving my Tacoma suspension issues and their staff (at Escondido/ San Marcos store) have always bee very helpful.

Ken Cooke - 10-10-2009 at 12:57 PM

For me, the Hella FF50s and KC 150w Daylighters have been sufficient. I would love a set of HID's, but these would be a want rather than a need.