BajaNomad

Small yellowtail pic

Don Alley - 6-8-2008 at 04:05 PM

You know, if you hold the fish out towards the camera they look bigger.

Yes, this is a yellowtail; there was a swarm of them under a weed paddy. Dorado too; the dorado were a little bigger. I also caught a bird with my fly rod, guess it liked feathers.:biggrin:

minijurel.jpg - 39kB

BMG - 6-8-2008 at 04:12 PM

How long did it take you to land it?

longlegsinlapaz - 6-8-2008 at 04:23 PM

Don, that little sardine musta put up one hell of a fight....from the look of the blood on your hands!;) Was it even a legal keeper?:?:

Cypress - 6-8-2008 at 04:58 PM

Is there a minimum size for yellowtail?:biggrin:

Sharksbaja - 6-8-2008 at 05:59 PM

Swarm? Cmon Don!:lol::lol:

ELINVESTIG8R - 6-8-2008 at 06:01 PM

That there is a trophy fish.:lol:

Ken Bondy - 6-8-2008 at 06:39 PM

Don
This is the smallest little jurelito I have ever seen:

woody with a view - 6-8-2008 at 07:02 PM

how old could that little guy be?:?:

Ken Bondy - 6-8-2008 at 07:28 PM

woody, I have no idea what their growth rate is, I would imagine someone here does.
++Ken++

acadist - 6-8-2008 at 07:43 PM

Looks like it lives in CO:lol::lol:

Yellowtail growth rate

Skipjack Joe - 6-8-2008 at 08:43 PM

Fork tail length is from nose to the fork of the tail.

yellowtail_growth.jpg - 48kB

Speaking of small Yellowtail

DianaT - 6-8-2008 at 10:00 PM

Don, Love that little minnow.

Unless it is a trout, I am terrible at fish identification, but these little yellow tail got my attention.

I never thought about it when I took this picture

But when I played with the photo, I noticed that the poor fish has a yellow tail

Again, zeroed in and looks yellow

Is it a real baby yellowtail or another fish?

Diane

Capt. George - 6-9-2008 at 04:45 AM

Diane

great photos. the fish looks like a lisa (mullet)...

hope to see you in July...go for MRI this AM

woody with a view - 6-9-2008 at 04:46 AM

the fork isn't deep enough for a yellertail.

Ken Bondy - 6-9-2008 at 06:14 AM

Igor you are a fountain of information. The horizontal axis is labeled "Age Groups" and shows Roman numerals from I to XII. Are those years? Thanks for posting this, ++Ken++

Don Alley - 6-9-2008 at 07:32 AM

Many fish have yellow tails...what struck me about this little guy, and identified him as a yellowtail, was the markings through his eye, which were more distinct than show in the picture.

This fish was one of a school hanging tight under the paddy. Toss a jig near the paddy and they would aggressively dart out to it. This guy managed to hook himself on a Megabait jig.

The dorado were swimming around the paddy, eagerly chasing down our chummed sardinias yet showed no interest in eating the young yellowtail.

Skipjack Joe - 6-9-2008 at 08:33 AM

Thanks Ken. Yes, the x axis is years. The aging process was done with ring counts on scales.

It struck me later that growth should depend on food availability and water temperature. That graph was measured on southern california fish. The populations in the sea of cortez or those in new zealand may be different.

The other thought I had was that I had read somewhere years ago that fish growth rates are linear. That is the length (or was it weight) will continue to increase linearly regardless of age as long as food remains the same. Different than most verterbrates like us. Well, I suppose my waistline has been increasing linearly. But anyway, the curve shows clearly that's not the case with yellow. They reach half of their maximum size the first year it appears.

Ken Bondy - 6-9-2008 at 09:49 AM

Thanks Igor. Your age/weight gain chart got me thinking. I have way too much time on my hands,

Skipjack Joe - 6-9-2008 at 09:56 AM

:lol::lol::lol:

I like this side of you.

Barry A. - 6-9-2008 at 09:56 AM

Ken-------------Sooooooo true!!!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

DianaT - 6-9-2008 at 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Bondy
Thanks Igor. Your age/weight gain chart got me thinking. I have way too much time on my hands,

:lol::lol::lol:

Love that

Capt. George - 6-9-2008 at 11:39 AM

don yes yours is a yellowtail

the one in the talons of the Osprey on Dianes post is a lisa (mullet)

Firecracker

Skipjack Joe - 6-10-2008 at 02:28 PM

Even the small ones fight well. This one wrapped my son's rod around the aluminum hull. Off Haystack in December of 2002, I believe.

baja_alex_10.jpg - 23kB

Martyman - 6-10-2008 at 02:39 PM

There's a happy kid! Yeah!

Can anyone identify the yellow thingy being carried away in this video?

ELINVESTIG8R - 6-10-2008 at 02:42 PM

:lol: I guess no one saw the humor in that. Oh well.

[Edited on 6-11-2008 by ELINVESTI8]