BajaNomad

Could Mexico Use this fish tagging system?

Iflyfish - 6-12-2008 at 10:22 AM

My nephew works for this company, they tag and monitor fish all over the world. This video shows the California operation where thousands of fish are taged.

http://www.govtech.com/gt/video/?fr_story=b38c5e765792534e5c...

Iflyfish

Osprey - 6-12-2008 at 10:53 AM

That is fish torture AND MUTILATION. Is there any evidence that the fish without the fin mate less than others because they are considered ugly? I think the Mexican method could be to involve the chollos. Give them special taggers with the gang's name on it, give guns as prizes for most fish tagged and you've got a winner.

backninedan - 6-12-2008 at 01:10 PM

There is an old tatoo gun available on E-Bay, maybe we can get creative.

Cypress - 6-12-2008 at 01:47 PM

High Tech? :spingrin:These guys are just re-inventing the wheel.:spingrin::O It's one of those round things that keeps on rolling.:D

Osprey - 6-12-2008 at 02:44 PM

Rick, just funnin but the system looks efficient -- problem down here would be collection and count. They just don't have the funds for anything but the most rudementary scientific studies at sea. Land based marine studies in my area are well planned and executed; just not enough of them.

Iflyfish - 6-12-2008 at 04:14 PM

I would also suspect that is would be difficult to tag the fish that spawn in the sea, salmon of course spawn in rivers, making this an easier task.

How do they do the land based studies down there?

Many of us had our fin clipped in our youth and the jury is still out on the affect, some say it looks better!

Iflyfish

Don Alley - 6-12-2008 at 04:55 PM

This is a hatchery based system and I cannot see how it could be adapted to an ocean fishery.

Perhaps a better system is the use of pop-up tags read by satellites, but they are expensive and provide fewer data points.

But (one of) the biggest obstacles to collecting data on fisheries in Mexico is the lack of will power to do so. Certain stakeholders won't like what the data tells them.

Osprey - 6-12-2008 at 05:17 PM

Synergy happens! What if we could bring down some Moils interested in blessing God's dwindling stock of mating fish, involve them in the process, send them home with Gold Embossed Certificates of Marine and Eco/Religious recogition of authenticity, Mexico's thanks, a new start for fertile, robust fry.

woody with a view - 6-12-2008 at 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Osprey
Synergy happens! What if we could bring down some Moils interested in blessing God's dwindling stock of mating fish, involve them in the process, send them home with Gold Embossed Certificates of Marine and Eco/Religious recogition of authenticity, Mexico's thanks, a new start for fertile, robust fry.

i think mike tyson is looking for employment nowadays....moil, anyone!!!!!!!!:lol::?::barf:

Iflyfish - 6-13-2008 at 07:50 AM

:lol::lol::lol::o:light::light:

Good ones!

Iflyfish

CaboRon - 6-17-2008 at 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Iflyfish
My nephew works for this company, they tag and monitor fish all over the world. This video shows the California operation where thousands of fish are taged.

http://www.govtech.com/gt/video/?fr_story=b38c5e765792534e5c...

Iflyfish

The link goes to the demo of the Folsom police dept new mobile command van. :lol:

Iflyfish - 6-18-2008 at 07:38 AM

Good one! They changed it! This also could be used, I am certain of it, particularly in the reserve zones!

Iflyfish