BajaNomad

Ensenada Fish Market Taco Stands

postholedigger - 6-15-2008 at 11:11 AM

There are about a million of them down there, all selling the same thing for (I think) the same price. Of the ones right there in the fish market (I still have yet to make it to Fenix), which one would you say is the best? With all the senoritas yelling for my attention, I find it too chaotic to make an informed decision. If I were to be on the lookout for a certain recommended stand name, it would make things so much easier.

DENNIS - 6-15-2008 at 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by postholedigger
There are about a million of them down there, all selling the same thing for (I think) the same price. Of the ones right there in the fish market (I still have yet to make it to Fenix), which one would you say is the best? With all the senoritas yelling for my attention, I find it too chaotic to make an informed decision. If I were to be on the lookout for a certain recommended stand name, it would make things so much easier.

The last time I had one there was the last time. The tacos are lousy and the place is a zoo.

BajaGringo - 6-15-2008 at 11:38 AM

I try to avoid the high density tourist areas, whether it be for food, lodging, shopping or entertainment. You tend to just get stuff crammed down your throat and then... "next!"

That has proven true for most places where I have traveled. The best places to eat fish tacos in Baja are typically found near the port and in small, non-glitzy little stands with a friendly, smiling cook/host/server.

One thing I have learned after 30 years in Latin America - pay attention to the taxi drivers as they know the street life of their community better than anybody.

If you see several taxi drivers stopped to eat at a fish taco stand, you know they are good and at a fair price.

I call it...

"La Ley del Taxista"

Cheers and provecho!

[Edited on 6-15-2008 by BajaGringo]

Bob H - 6-15-2008 at 12:52 PM

We've tried several of those places along the fish market in Ensenada. We always choose one where you see lots of lcoals eating... it's always been good. But, try walking a couple of blocks inland from the main drag and look for a taco stand that appeals to you, again with several locals eating there.
Bob H

ElFaro - 6-15-2008 at 01:43 PM

Simple...

Go to a stand where you can still see your vehicle!!

Too many have gone into the Ensenada "Mercado Negro" or eaten at a stand only to come out and find their vehicle stolen.

My $0.02.

BajaGringo - 6-15-2008 at 02:16 PM

That very thing happened to me at a Jack-in-the-Box in Long Beach a few years back...

Park and Eat

Gypsy Jan - 6-15-2008 at 04:34 PM

Where You Can See and Check Your Vehicle Regularly.

This is Baja Commandment No. 1

Subset a} Take along a dog that treats that vehicle as his property, b) Make sure your four-legged companion has sufficient ventilation and water (see Commandment No. 1).

Otherwise, leave the expensive, attractive rolling stock at home and take buses and taxis.

DENNIS - 6-15-2008 at 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy Jan
This is Baja Commandment No. 1

In time, if Baja doesn't stop the Grand Theft Auto activities, the restaurant industry will morph to a drive-through phenomona, lousy valley wine and all.

bajabound2005 - 6-15-2008 at 05:29 PM

Try Marco Antonio's on Rayon between 3rd & 4th on the north side of the street. Open Mon-Sat, 9am to 1pm and out of food usually by 12:45. Not your average fish taco -- nothing fried. Salmon or Tuna. Excellent. Do a search on this forum for Marco Antonio. I think it's under the "Best Taco Stands" thread.

If you are bent on a traditional fish taco and going further south than Ensenada -- take the turn-off to La Bufadora in Maneadero and go about 1/2 mile. On your right-hand side just at the entrance to RAMOS ALBERCAS, is Lupita's little stand. EXCELLENT fish and shrimp tacos. That's where all the cops go to eat so your car is safe. Open pretty much daily, except Tuesday.

[Edited on 6-16-2008 by bajabound2005]

JaraHurd - 6-15-2008 at 06:41 PM

The Club costs about $80.00 and takes seconds to apply. Won't guarantee your car won't get stolen but it is a little inconvenient to carry a bolt cutter along with screwdrivers and pliers......

JaraHurd - 6-15-2008 at 06:42 PM

...I don't know about Mexico but it might surprise you to know how many people get their car stolen while the the vehicle is unoccupied with its engine running.....hard to believe but true.....happens A LOT...

DENNIS - 6-15-2008 at 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JaraHurd
The Club costs about $80.00 and takes seconds to apply. Won't guarantee your car won't get stolen but it is a little inconvenient to carry a bolt cutter along with screwdrivers and pliers......

Not a problem for a car thief in Ensenada. Bolt cutters are a macho accessory.

Your other post....Who in the world would leave their car while it's still running?

DENNIS - 6-15-2008 at 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by soulpatch
OK, since everyone is proselytizing and not answering your question;) try Pelinganos. It is very good and is the first one you come to heading southbound. It is right next to the tourist info place and you can park directly in front of it.
Good service and killer guacamole and chilly beers and there is a good story about the owner.

Or, a bit south, across the street, McTaco for a quesataco judged by Chef Yublag Schlemp as the best in the universe.
No chilly ones so, bring your own.

Fred - 6-15-2008 at 09:26 PM

Bajabound........I agree Lupita's is the best in the area.

Fred

DanO - 6-16-2008 at 10:10 AM

Fenix.

Baja12valve - 6-16-2008 at 10:36 AM

When I go to the fish market/restaurant area, I don't have a specific place, but I order the "Pescado Entero". It has always been outstanding.

BajaWarrior - 6-16-2008 at 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Or, a bit south, across the street, McTaco for a quesataco judged by Chef Yublag Schlemp as the best in the universe.
No chilly ones so, bring your own.

For us, the Fish Market is too hard to get a parking spot, because when we're in the Ensenada area we're usually towing. Not to say they don't have great tacos! I think it's funny too when the taco ladies start yelling to get your business.

We like Tacos las Brisas, just south of town along the water and next door to McTaco. Good food, good seating, good bathroom, lots of parking across the street.

But beware, we just finished a meal there and walked back across the street to our rig, when I saw a Jeep Cherokee back into my truck rocking it gently, apparently to notify the would be thief inside our trailer that we were coming back. The guy ran out with nothing and jumped into the waiting Jeep and away they went.

I had left the trailer unlocked after our last Army stop, but we got lucky, the thief had piled up helmets, boom box, binoculars, etc... inside the door and was only minutes from getting our goods. I can't help but think if the trailer was locked he may have taken a crow bar to the door...

Just be on the lookout.

[Edited on 6-17-2008 by BajaWarrior]

super duty cabras.jpg - 32kB