BajaNomad

Updated Governor's Cup, June 16 - Juncalito torneo rescheduled

bill erhardt - 6-16-2008 at 03:27 PM

The Governor's Cup fishing tournament at Juncalito has been rescheduled for July 4 & 5. The tournament will be coordinated from the playa at Juncalito, not from Loreto. Apparently there has been confusion because El Juncalito is in the municipality of Loreto and rumor has been circulating in Loreto that the Juncalito tournament would be run out of Loreto.
Clicerio Mercado asked me to post the following schedule of tournaments for 2008, as it stands today - June 16.

Nombre Ubicacion Municipio Fecha Efectuado

3 San Jose del Cabo Playa Palmilla Los Cabos 3-15 y 16
4 Isla San Marcos Isla San Marcos Mulege 3-25 y 26
5 Loreto I Loreto Loreto 5-02 y 03
6 El Cardonal El Cardonal La Paz 5- 30 y31
9 Pendientes
10 San Juanico San Juanico Mulege 6-27 y 28
11 Loreto II Playa El Juncalito Loreto 7-04 y 05
12 Lopez Mateos Pto. Lopez Mateos Comondu 7-11 y 12
13 Asuncion Bahia Asuncion Mulege 8-15 y 16
14 Todos Santos Punta Lobos La Paz 10-10 y 11
16 La Playa La Playa Los Cabos Sept.
17 Abreojos- La Bocana Sept.
19 IGC Cabo San Lucas 10/28 - 11/2
20 Mulege Playa Mulege Mulege Nov.
21 Los Barriles Palmas de Cortes La Paz Dic.

[Edited on 6-16-2008 by bill erhardt]

rhintransit - 6-16-2008 at 03:57 PM

thanks. as an only occasional fisher person who is totally ignorant about tournaments (except Fishing for the Mission) can anyone tell me where I can get more info on the Governors Cup tournaments in general? I am a resident of El Juncalito and am also curious as to what, if anything, to expect around here. thanks.

bill erhardt - 6-16-2008 at 04:15 PM

rhintransit........ There have been a number of threads about GC torneos on this forum. Do a search and I imagine you will find them. They offer something for everyone, Mexicans, gringos, young, old, shore fishermen, and those who fish from boats. One nice feature of the torneos is that all fish weighed in are donated for a fiesta that begins as soon as the fish start coming in. All the fish is grilled as part of a free feast for all comers. Get a fishing pole and join the fun. You might even win one of those nice big checks signed by the governor.

flyfishinPam - 6-16-2008 at 05:43 PM

good luck and I'm very glad that tournament will be out of town, we're going to be busy, busy busy then and need all he space (to work) that we can get

shari - 6-16-2008 at 06:05 PM

These derbies are a blast...and you get free swag..hat, shirt, a little bag and it's free to enter so everyone gets to participate and we had a live band playing here at the weigh in beer tent and it was a blast eating all the fish that were caught. I look forward to the next one here Aug.15!

rhintransit - 6-16-2008 at 06:09 PM

thanks, all, sound like fun. will do a search and find out more about the general idea of the/a governor's cup. can't imagine fishing from the shore here, but, hey, I can take the kayak out...!!!

CaboRon - 6-17-2008 at 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rhintransit
thanks, all, sound like fun. will do a search and find out more about the general idea of the/a governor's cup. can't imagine fishing from the shore here, but, hey, I can take the kayak out...!!!

Where is here ??

rhintransit - 6-19-2008 at 07:38 AM

where is, at noted, Juncalito. or El Juncalito. small fishing village/beach south of Loreto, north of Pto Escondido.

I did search, but found not much specific info on what happens at these things, other than what people have kindly noted here. anyone know how many people show, what the hours are, cars?, campers? etc? am very interested as the 4th of July is our local 'big' celebration here, on Playa Libre. should be just a bigger party but would like to anticipate...

Quote:
Originally posted by CaboRon
Quote:
Originally posted by rhintransit

Where is here ??

bill erhardt - 6-19-2008 at 09:25 AM

rhintransit....... Registration for the torneo will be on the afternoon of the 4th, fishing on the 5th, with fiesta to follow. At the tournament in Loreto last month there was a shotgun start at 7:00 a.m. and fish had to be presented at the weigh-in station by 4:00 p.m. Rules vary a bit from tournament to tournament. Rules for particular tournaments are discussed at a meeting in the late afternoon after registration. Sounds like you will get parties two days in a row this year.

rhintransit - 6-19-2008 at 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bill erhardt
rhintransit....... Registration for the torneo will be on the afternoon of the 4th, fishing on the 5th, with fiesta to follow. At the tournament in Loreto last month there was a shotgun start at 7:00 a.m. and fish had to be presented at the weigh-in station by 4:00 p.m. Rules vary a bit from tournament to tournament. Rules for particular tournaments are discussed at a meeting in the late afternoon after registration. Sounds like you will get parties two days in a row this year.

excellent! thank you SO much for the information. party weekend!!!!

Cypress - 6-19-2008 at 10:24 AM

These fishing torneos are called "rodeos" along the northern Gulf of Mexico in the US.:biggrin: Every species of fish in the area is listed and a prize is awarded for the largest entered.:yes: A kid with a cane pole and a can of worms might just win a big prize.:yes:The overall winner is always a "high dollar" contractor with a crew of helpers onboard a blue-water boat.:biggrin:

Pescador - 6-19-2008 at 11:28 AM

I have been sitting on my hands and debating whether to post a response to this thread or not. The Governor's cups were developed and initiated by Agundez when he was elected governor of Baja California Sur. He enlisted Clicero Mercado who was one of the ruling board of the Bisbee Tournament in Cabo San Lucas. It was originally designed to put moneys into the pockets of the fishermen in areas of Baja California Sur and was a kind of economic stimulus package. I originally was really excited about what I was told by the organizers and even Governor Agundez himself. I even won several of the tournaments but since I speak the language and have a number of friends who are pangueros who make their living from the sea, I felt an undercurrent developing that made me uncomfortable and I began asking questions from the participants to try to understand thier perceptions. In Santa Rosalia, they had a squid division where the winner was going to win a new panga and motor and when some of us registered for the event, which we were encouraged to do by the staff and organizers, we started hearing rumblings of discontent from some of the participants. Simply stated, fishing for us was a sport and recreation whereas for some of our friends who were pangueros, it was more serious than that. Because of the good nature of all those involved, not much is said or expressed, but when you overhear things and go a little deeper the issue is definately present.
I don't have the wisdom for any solutions and learned long ago that advice was easy to give but usually accounted for nothing. My own personal way of dealing with the issue was to take a local fisherman out on the boat, but actually I kinda wish I had stayed on shore and helped the little kids out with bait and maybe a couple of hooks or whatever.
But I have to preface all of this with the understanding that I am not a bleeding heart softy and I abhor welfare states where we give somebody something for nothing, but I realize that it is hardly a fair competition when I am out there with a $40,000 boat with $10,000 worth of electronic equipment and I am competing with a panga and a handline.

Cypress - 6-19-2008 at 11:42 AM

Pescador, :spingrin: You're a serious fisherman, all things equal, expect you'd give the hand line guys a run for their money.:)You don't need to apologize for being a being better than most.:tumble:

Klondike_Kid - 6-19-2008 at 04:59 PM

I agree with you Pescador about the advantages of the modern day North American angler and his gear in local tournaments. Perhaps these events should have a "PRO" category to separate those who would benefit from having and using the fancier toys.

Although I haven't made it down there yet - pulling the plug on real work this year and making plans for many extended Baja expeditions - I think I'd prefer to take out a handful of the local kids and try to put them on some serious fish instead. Just something about the sparkle in a kid's eyes and smile ear to ear when they are posing for pictures with a fish they can barely hold off the ground. And maybe a prize winner too. I've had a good life, started my fishing at 3 years old, and look forward to giving something back to other kids in the future.

rhintransit - 6-19-2008 at 05:20 PM

thank you Pescador for the insights. there seems to be little info out there about the GC tournaments...I've been trying to research it for weeks without success. the 'free swag' and all encouragement made it sound like we should all go out and blunder into the midst of it, without knowing anything about it. I was going to pop over and register, just cause it is being held in my little village. I think I'll leave any prizes to the local kids. I'm not on a big boat or one of the local Loreto gringos planning to head out for serious competition so the big guys don't have anything to worry about.

Don Alley - 6-19-2008 at 05:28 PM

Pescador bring up some interesting points.

The local Loreto Governor's Cup tournaments are the only tournaments I've ever entered, two so far for me. I entered at the request of a Mexican neighbor, partly because I have a boat or can afford to hire one. And I'm obligated, sort of. We've fished twice, both times chartering a local panga and captain. Our rules are any prize won is divided among us, and last year we took third on Jose Luis' fish. This year I farmed a potential winner.:lol: So maybe in the next one I'll drive and they'll fish.

Officially, we (gringos) are welcomed and encouraged to participate. The one exception is when a panga is awarded; that prize was for Mexicans only.

We'll probably fish the same three person team at the Juncalito contest. Probably take my panga this time.

Advantages? In certain conditions, many American boats can give a big advantage. They can go farther, faster, and fish rougher water. That could be a considerable advantage in current conditions, with bumpy offshore weather. Is there resentment? I don't know.

Perhaps in the last tournament any us/them chatter was pre-empted by the surprise at who won.:lol:

But yes, the presence of retired gringo expats and visitors, with or without fancier boats, is an elephant in the room.