BajaNomad

Temp. Import - Truck & Boat in La Paz

bill erhardt - 6-23-2008 at 06:49 AM

I would like to pick the brain of anybody who has recently obtained a six month temporary import permit for a truck and a ten year temp. import permit for a boat in La Paz. Also anybody who has taken a truck/boat across the SOC on the ferry from La Paz to Topolobampo or Mazatlan.

Capt. George - 6-24-2008 at 08:47 AM

bill keep in mind, with an FM-3, truck temp is good for a full year.
Motor homes for ten.

comitan - 6-24-2008 at 10:52 AM

There is NO vehicle Temp. Import permit for Baja....................................................

[Edited on 6-24-2008 by comitan]

bill erhardt - 6-24-2008 at 05:51 PM

George....... Two + years ago when I took the ferry from Santa Rosalia to Guaymas, where at that time the import was necessary, the permit I got in SR was for six months. I had an FM-3 at the time. Has there been a change since then? Since they moved the line of demarcation for the permit requirement south on the mainland you can no longer get them at the terminal in SR.
Comitan....... Is it your belief that one cannot obtain a temporary import permit for a vehicle in La Paz?

comitan - 6-24-2008 at 06:16 PM

If there was, we would all have one instead of importing. Also you notice no has come forward that has done it in Baja. Temp Boat- import you can get, no problem.

bajalou - 6-24-2008 at 06:19 PM

You can get a Temp Imp Permit for a car in Mexicali - and they don't care where you drive the car to. If you have FM2 or 3, it's good for the entire time you have the FM, including renewals.

bill erhardt - 6-24-2008 at 07:20 PM

Comitan...... I have done it in the Baja. I got the temp vehicle permit it Santa Rosalia before I put my truck on the ferry to Guaymas. In fact, at that time, in January, 2006, when it was required that a US registered car had to have the permit in Guaymas, you had to have one to get a vehicle on the ferry. My question is about obtaining the permit in La Paz.
bajalou...... I know the permits can be obtained at the border. I will be travelling from Loreto to the mainland via the ferry from La Paz.

Pescador - 6-24-2008 at 07:40 PM

Bill, what you are talking about is a car permit for Sonora which is needed if you travel below Guaymas. I think if you post on the San Carlos board, you should get a more accurate answer. I think I have the answer but I have heard that there were changes made. You also could call the ferry company in La Paz.
http://sancarlosmx.mywowbb.com/forum2/

bill erhardt - 6-24-2008 at 07:51 PM

Jim..... Thanks, I may have to call the ferry company, but I'm pretty sure that there was a thread on this forum recently by somebody who took a truck and boat across from La Paz that detailed exactly where you needed to go and what documentation was needed on the boat/trailer/truck to get the temp permits. Also I saw a thread recently on this board or some other about a service somebody in La Paz was performing, maybe in conjunction with a fishing tournament, to obtain the ten year boat permit without having to present the boat, just the documentation. I would like to get the permits in advance of a trip, if I'm going to make one, and would like to avoid dragging my boat through La Paz in the process.

comitan - 6-24-2008 at 07:52 PM

I misunderstood, you want them for the mainland. You can get them at any of the ferry terminals.

Pescador - 6-25-2008 at 08:39 PM

If you have the importation permit already on your boat for Baja that will work for the mainland. I thought the issue was the permit for your car which is usually done at the ferry office. You do need to be sure that you drop off this permit when you leave, like coming back on the ferry because you have a credit card on an open billing to make sure you do not sell the car while in the Mainland. We did that when we went across with a smaller boat to fish the bass at Mocuzuri.

Capt. George - 6-26-2008 at 06:45 AM

bill just got a permit last nov. for car and cargo trailer did not need one for the boat (12ft)

car and trailer were good for 1 year with FM papers

Can get all in La Paz office near the ferry office in SR closed.

george

bill erhardt - 6-27-2008 at 06:54 AM

Jim, George........ Do either of you know if I can drive down to the terminal at P-nchelingue with paperwork on truck and boat, but without the boat in tow, and get temp. import permits for both? Or, is it necessary to have the boat along for them to inspect? Interesting fishing in Loreto these days. Not a lot of fish, but quality fish are around. Yesterday I caught a 45# bull, the only fish all day, and the day before hooked a wahoo that spit the hook at the boat.

Ford - 6-27-2008 at 10:07 PM

We are getting ready to do the opposite starting tomorrow. We are towing a 29' CC down through mainland and then take it across on the ferry to keep it in baja. We heard that as of very recently you no longer need a boat permit at all. Just need all the paperwork to prove ownership of the boat and you are good to go...But you know how it goes when traveling through mexico you better be prepared to go with the flow. Most important tip also is to keep asking until you get the answer you want!
We are a little worried about being able to turn in the temp. vehicle permit either in topolobampo or in la paz but we want to keep the car in baja without having to go back to the border...