BajaNomad

Need Panga Recommend

JaraHurd - 6-26-2008 at 08:36 AM

I am driving to Baja Sur in mid-August. We are going to Loreto, La Paz and San Juan Del Cabo. I am looking for any recommendations on which fishing outfits to use in each place. A prior post blasted a person named Arturo in Loreto. Is that then name of a fishing company or a specific (and apparently rude) panga captain? Any input would be appreciated.

We have received good feedback on Tortuga Sportfishing in La Paz and Gordo Banks Pangas in SJDC. Can anyone verify that these are good people to hire for a fishing trip....Jon

JaraHurd - 6-26-2008 at 08:42 AM

Oops. I meant San JOSE Del Cabo..

wilderone - 6-26-2008 at 09:08 AM

Rancho Leonero has comparable boat rates and rooms right there with meals included. A nice package if you want to experience an Old Style Baja Fishing lodge.

JaraHurd - 6-26-2008 at 10:34 AM

I have heard good things about that outfit. Unfortunately the hotels for my trip have already been reserved. Next time. The Liberal Times (sorry to offend but could not resist..L A Times for some..) had a very good write up on Rancho Leonero a few months back. Will keep Rancho Leonero in mind for next time..

backninedan - 6-26-2008 at 05:38 PM

While in Loreto it is hard to beat "Baja Big Fish Company" Pam uses some of the best pangeros around and she will also set you up with lunches, tackle or anything else you may need. She also has a complete selection of fly fishing tackle available for rental if that happens to strike your fancy.

CaboMagic - 6-26-2008 at 06:36 PM

Hello JaraHurd

We second the Loreto recommendation to Pam Bolles Baja Big Fish - an excellent operation. www.bajabigfish.com

In LaPaz Tortuga is very good and we also recommend our travel partner Jonathan Roldan Tailhunter International. www.tailhunter-international.com

For San Jose Del Cabo Eric Bricston of Gordo Banks Panga is definitely the man to see. www.gordobanks.com

If you make it to Cabo San Lucas proper we invite you to fish with us!

Be sure and bring lots of bottled water and 'handi-wipes' for hygiene. August can bring tropical storms and rains that can wash out roads/water lines temporarily.

There are some great threads on here about suggested items to bring with you on road trips - excellent suggestions contained therein.

Hope this helps - have a great trip!

acadist - 6-26-2008 at 07:15 PM

I have fished with Arturo's a couple of times, both good and bad. Arturo is the owner and if you have a bad experience talk to him and he has always helped to make sure to fix it. With that being said, I have also fished with Baja Big Fish and have had a very enjoyable time, Pam is good people. In La Paz I definitly recomend Tailhunter-International. Jonathan runs a great outfit and works hard to make sure that you have a good experience. Just my two cents worth.:yes:

JaraHurd - 6-26-2008 at 07:25 PM

thanx for the suggestions.

CaboMagic..I appreciate the travel advice. I relied heavily on advice from this site last year for the planning of my trip to Mulege. There was a thread called THE LIST that was especially helpful. ... Jon