BajaNomad

Cedar Plugs.

BirdDog - 6-26-2008 at 12:07 PM

Have been reading about people on the east coast and gulf of mexico using these . Was wondering if anyone in Baja has used these. If so any luck,what colors, daisy chained or single? Just trying to load up on some different lures for my trip down in Sept. Thanks

Osprey - 6-26-2008 at 12:28 PM

Bird, never get in the boat without one. The one that catches the most marlin/sail/dorado/tuna/barillete, etc, etc. etc. is painted white with blue, yellow and green stripes. Used to run em long, now I run two outside, a 5 inch plastic head blue and silver skirt between em way down the middle (4 or 5 boat lengths -- panga lengths)

Russ - 6-26-2008 at 02:45 PM

Unpainted ones work well too. FYI I ordered some from Off Shore a few years back and got a note saying they couldn't ship them to Calif. But had no problem getting them at a local tackle shop. ??????

Cardon Man - 6-26-2008 at 03:16 PM

Osprey is right on the mark. Cedar plugs are a classic must have item. The simple, old fashioned, unpainted cedar plug is a proven fish catcher. They have brought me together with some fine yellowfin tuna, yellowtail, and dorado.

fishbuck - 6-26-2008 at 03:41 PM

Concur! Unpainted cedar plugs have worked great on the Party boat from San Diego. I also have a Dorado painted 1 but never used it yet.
The rattle noise of the hook against the cedar seems to attract fish. And they swim a little too.:)

[Edited on 6-26-2008 by fishbuck]

BirdDog - 6-26-2008 at 03:51 PM

Thanks all.

Russ I'm from Iowa so I'll just order them. Thanks for the tip.

Capt. George - 6-27-2008 at 05:34 AM

catch really good on the Pacific side also....

also have caught the crap outa YT with "Reverse Atom", an east coast surf fishing lure...

imitates a squid. (surface lure)

4baja - 6-27-2008 at 06:36 AM

i use them and with albacore there #1 on my boat. the top color being purple and 2nd being natural. wouldnt leave the harbor without them on a tuna run.

Don Alley - 6-27-2008 at 08:28 AM

I only started using them a couple of years ago and I like them.

I didn't use one yesterday, and got no fish, maybe that means something?:biggrin:

The plain, unpainted ones darken when wet, to the color of squid.

BirdDog - 6-27-2008 at 10:32 AM

Well I guess I got my answer. Thanks going to order some today.

stimbo - 6-27-2008 at 09:49 PM

We LOVE Cedar Plugs! Ain't nothing better.

signed:

George "Dub-Yah"

BushVaca.jpg - 26kB

stimbo - 6-28-2008 at 08:58 AM

Two more satisfied cedar plug users...

:lol:

Catfish.jpg - 19kB