BajaNomad

Air Travel and Tackle

neckman - 6-30-2008 at 04:30 PM

Has anyone flown south lately with rod tube and tackle? What are charges? I assume lures must be in checked luggage. How about reels? I am flying US Airways in August to Punta Colorado. They say their tackle is in good shape now, but I always took my own before as some of the pangas in La Paz had pretty poor equipment. I know the airlines are nickel & diming everything.

Airline travel with fishing gear

touchdown67 - 7-8-2008 at 03:19 PM

I just returned from a great fishing trip to La Paz. The worst problem of the trip was upon returning to Arizona we discovered two of our checked bags had been gone thru after the check in at the gate and 6 fishing reels and a few other items had been stolen. Aeromexico tells me that they are not responsable for LOST items.

So all I can say is check with your airline to see if you can carry these type of items with you. My understanding was you can not take reels with fishing line on the aircraft unless you check them.

vacaenbaja - 7-8-2008 at 04:12 PM

I have ALWAYS taken expensive reels and anything else of value on my person or carry on. Anything in checked baggage is subject to loss by theft or otherwise. Carry on
should always have evrything that you would need to get by
should your baggage be lost. E.G. JACKET,1 CHANGE OF CLOTHES MEDICINES. valuables. think of it as a travelers ditch bag.

Don Alley - 7-8-2008 at 05:46 PM

There have been many, many posts about reels in carry on luggage on various boards and the consensus seems to be that it's OK, even with line. The next best alternative is to secure them in checked baggage with a cable through the frame of the reel and the frame on the bottom of the suitcase, padlocked, to make it more time consuming to steal.

Nowadays if something was stolen out of my luggage I would report to Homeland Security that the airline is loading baggage that has passed through an insecure area and is subject to tampering by criminal, possibly terrorist, elements. Then maybe the airline can try to glibly tell Homeland Security that they are not responsible.:biggrin: