BajaNomad

Bola or San Q?

fishbuck - 6-30-2008 at 06:43 PM

Okay, Mexfish is up and San Q is starting to bite. But it looks like the Bola bite is full peak.
He's the question. Take a chance on the early San Q bite or drive the extra 5 hours to Bola for slamdunk yellowtails?
I really only have the 1 day to fish so I need to make it count. But Bola means 10 more hours driving over the weekend.
I'll probably leave after work on Thurs(11:30pm) and go to Ensenada so I'm in position for the long portion of the drive in the morning. Sure would be nice to kickback at Jardines instead of driving another 5 hours.
What do you think?

BajaWarrior - 6-30-2008 at 06:57 PM

Heat or Freeze?

Udo - 6-30-2008 at 06:58 PM

You shudda done this as a poll instead of a question and opinion.
However, I vote to make the run to San Q.
I don't know if you tow your own boat, but San Q's pangas are at the high end of expensive, while BOLA's are a lot more Nomad friendly. We all know about the heat at this time in BOLA.

805gregg - 6-30-2008 at 07:33 PM

Sun or fog?

Von - 6-30-2008 at 07:45 PM

gO FOR Bola..........

shari - 6-30-2008 at 08:53 PM

Hey fishbuck...there are more fun horseraces on saturday followed by a big dance here saturday night..an awesome band is playing so it should be a great affair. Bajaboy arrived and is feeling lucky so they might fish saturday morning if the swell doesn't pick up any more.

fishbuck - 6-30-2008 at 08:59 PM

Bajaboy feeling lucky? Big surprise there! Well if there is a yellowtail to be found I'm sure he and Juan will get it.
Ya, I love that horserace pic you posted.

tripledigitken - 6-30-2008 at 10:55 PM

Fish out of the Old Mill and then come back to a dinner of Stone Crabs.

Those cool ocean breezes will feel good!

[Edited on 7-1-2008 by tripledigitken]

fishbuck - 7-1-2008 at 02:44 AM

Well'I do live on the Pacific here in Newportmesa. So I need that fresh Pacific breeze. And I do like the Old Mill alot.
Usually after I fish at Bola I get in my truck and drive away immediately... back to San Q!

capt. mike - 7-1-2008 at 06:23 AM

yur driving?? :(:no::O

fishbuck - 7-1-2008 at 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
yur driving?? :(:no::O

Ya Cap, I thought of flying to late and the planes are booked.

capt. mike - 7-1-2008 at 06:51 PM

well that's frusterating, been there done that clubs and FBOs.........
lotsa good iron out there for sale - git yourself a bird bud and be free!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mex avgas the best deal going!!

fishbuck - 7-1-2008 at 07:21 PM

Quote:
well that's frusterating, been there done that clubs and FBOs.........
lotsa good iron out there for sale - git yourself a bird bud and be free!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mex avgas the best deal going!!

You got that right Cap!:coolup:

m12m12 - 7-2-2008 at 08:31 AM

I just got back from BOLA and the Yellowtail fishing is wide open. Fished on June 28th with Rafito on his boat named Lula’s. We used jigs to catch breezing yellowtail near Piojo Island in about 3 hours. All 15 fish were between 10-15 pounds. Water temperatures where between 76-79 degrees, calm waters, and there were light winds. It was a very good day of fishing. Water temperatures were rising fairly rapidly during the week.

fishbuck - 7-2-2008 at 04:58 PM

Nice report. Thank you. I hope to add one of my own in a couple of days.:yes:

Udo - 7-2-2008 at 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by m12m12
I just got back from BOLA and the Yellowtail fishing is wide open. Fished on June 28th with Rafito on his boat named Lula’s. We used jigs to catch breezing yellowtail near Piojo Island in about 3 hours. All 15 fish were between 10-15 pounds. Water temperatures where between 76-79 degrees, calm waters, and there were light winds. It was a very good day of fishing. Water temperatures were rising fairly rapidly during the week.

What did the boat cost you, and what are pangas going for this time?

fishbuck - 7-2-2008 at 06:34 PM

Last time I fished with Sammy Diaz it was $150/day for bay and near island fishing. $200/day for Isla Angel De La Guarda. Ofcourse it could cost more now because of fuel.

Martyman - 7-3-2008 at 09:00 AM

The crab is better at Cielito Lindo

tripledigitken - 7-3-2008 at 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Martyman
The crab is better at Cielito Lindo

Wasn't the last time I went to Cielto Lindo. It stank of ammonia. Is your experience recent? If so I will check it out, as I have been going there since the 80's.

Ken

I had the crab last month

Keri - 7-3-2008 at 09:18 AM

after not eating it for a year or more because I had one of those ammonia days. I couldn't bring myself to eat it again. But it is one of my favorites soooooo I tried it again. It was great. I'll do it again, Try it Ken, you'll like it k

I had the Crab last month...........

tripledigitken - 7-3-2008 at 09:33 AM

Keri,

Glad to hear the quality is back where it once was. Miss going there, lots of memories of that place. Mostly good (the restaurant that is).

If they have the Pismo Clams they are killer.

It's back on my list, I will report back.

Thanks,

Ken

Cielito Linda~~Crab Claws

dean miller - 7-3-2008 at 09:58 AM

Mrs. Miller and I had crab claws at Cielito Linda about a month ago. They were outstanding! A full kilo each, served hot off the grill with about 400 napkins .

The chips were also a cut above the norm. They were served with two salsas; a gringo mild and a Mexican hot...Mixed together at 100% Gringo and about 30% or more Mexican was just right for my born Canadian wife, but mild for me.

My wife had a Maggie--it was very strong- it was large and lasted the entire meal...a new record for her

The dinning area was loaded with Mexican families; we were the only Norte Americanos. As would be expected the bar was loaded with the usual suspects and a few local natives

In discussions with the waiter and the bartender the entire operation was sold to a Mexican national who is busy rebuiling CL and repairing it's reputation. Seems to be doing a good job.

Sad to report that Gypsy camp apparently is closed, including the Wet Buzzard Bar (WBB). It was reported that Laura and her son moved to Texas with her American husband. No more $1.00 Burritos.

After the WBB was closed some one broke in and removed much of the equipment....

And so it goes ...in Baja

[Edited on 7-3-2008 by dean miller]

capt. mike - 7-3-2008 at 02:05 PM

they need to fix the runway.

tripledigitken - 7-3-2008 at 02:08 PM

Quote:
they need to fix the runway.

Ever consider installing pontoons?:cool:

Ken

David K - 7-3-2008 at 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dean miller
Mrs. Miller and I had crab claws at Cielito Linda about a month ago. They were outstanding! A full kilo each, served hot off the grill with about 400 napkins .

The chips were also a cut above the norm. They were served with two salsas; a gringo mild and a Mexican hot...Mixed together at 100% Gringo and about 30% or more Mexican was just right for my born Canadian wife, but mild for me.

My wife had a Maggie--it was very strong- it was large and lasted the entire meal...a new record for her

The dinning area was loaded with Mexican families; we were the only Norte Americanos. As would be expected the bar was loaded with the usual suspects and a few local natives

In discussions with the waiter and the bartender the entire operation was sold to a Mexican national who is busy rebuiling CL and repairing it's reputation. Seems to be doing a good job.

Sad to report that Gypsy camp apparently is closed, including the Wet Buzzard Bar (WBB). It was reported that Laura and her son moved to Texas with her American husband. No more $1.00 Burritos.

After the WBB was closed some one broke in and removed much of the equipment....

And so it goes ...in Baja

[Edited on 7-3-2008 by dean miller]

That's major news! Laura's Breakfast Burritos were the best! My kids and I would drive to Gypsy's set up camp inside the indoor camping building (as it always rained each trip) and enjoy Laura's cooking!

I will make up a page of photos that I have...

Thanks for the report, even though a sad one. I presume Laura hitched back up with her ex?

dean miller - 7-5-2008 at 06:19 AM

I presume Laura hitched back up with her ex?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The report from two local transplants was that she did and they moved to some where in Texas.

I some how recall that her mother passsed away about a year or so ago, leaving her alone in SQ.

dm

David K - 7-5-2008 at 08:37 AM

Thanks Dean... I am anxious to hear from 'Porky Pig' (Dave & Juanita) who owns the land and built Gypsy's and the Wet Buzzard when they decided to sell off the Motel and restuarant at Cielito Lindo back in 2001.

Laura & Gene have a daughter...

Laura

Porky Pig - 7-6-2008 at 06:46 AM

Laura has moved to Yuma to be with significant other Gene. She has daughter Jennifer and son Rogelio with her. She returned to San Quintin this week to spend some time with her sister who has a new baby. Gypsys is now leased to an oyster and clam farming company. All their clams and oysters go to New York.
Quiet 4th of July here

capt. mike - 7-6-2008 at 07:01 AM

hey Dave and Juanita - thx for checking in. there is a lot of buzz over at the bush pilots about the CL strip being in very poor condition and taxiing to the tiedowns virtually unable for low winged planes. is there no one maintaining these days??

added - also i was last in july 2006 and it was very much un useable then but haven't been back based on reports.

[Edited on 7-6-2008 by capt. mike]

Diver - 7-6-2008 at 08:50 PM

Uh-oh !!

Did you see this post on Allcoast about fishing San Quintin last week ??

http://www.allcoast.com/discussion/ViewTopic.cfm?page=1&...

fishbuck - 7-7-2008 at 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diver
Uh-oh !!

Did you see this post on Allcoast about fishing San Quintin last week ??

http://www.allcoast.com/discussion/ViewTopic.cfm?page=1&...

Nice report! That's the one I've been waiting for.
Okay, I 'm back from Bola.
Weather was great, not too hot, not much wind.
I caught 5 yellowtail and 2 nice big cabrilla. 1 yellow was 20lbs and 1 cabrilla was 20Lbs.
I could have piled on another 5 or so 15lb yellows but I wanted to fish with bait so I missed a little of the early jig bite. No matter. I wanted a larger size fish and did get one and lost 1 grande when the hook pulled. Probably had the drag too tight.
I'm glad I got the one more trip at Bola. Now I'm ready for SQ!

Slow trolling live bait over a reef at Bola for large cabrilla was a lot of fun. They hit like a ton of bricks but are hard to hook. They don't swallow the bait right away so it's easy to pull it out of there mouth. That's why I only got 2. The small one was about 15lb.

When I passed by SQ it was a little cool and foggy. Plus the town was full of people from the holiday. Better in a few weeks I think.

Man am I tired!

[Edited on 7-7-2008 by fishbuck]

Cypress - 7-7-2008 at 11:31 AM

fishbuck, Thanks for the fishing report.:)Good to hear that some fish have escaped the gill nets and seine boats to be caught by hook and line.:)

capt. mike - 7-7-2008 at 02:49 PM

when the WX cools i'll meet you at PSFO. about oct will be good.

the BBP had a few planes go on the BAM trip this week.
a nite at Lorenzo's, a nite at Meling's and an over the top it off nite at Serenidad.
trip report at BBP if you're a member with access.