BajaNomad

4th of July yellowtail fishing

fishbuck - 6-30-2008 at 08:00 PM

fishbuck - 6-30-2008 at 09:02 PM

I thought this might happen. You guys are making it difficult to drive through TJ without a quick stop.
But I'm trying to stay focused on what's really important...fishing.;)

fishbuck - 7-1-2008 at 01:00 AM

Okay everybody! This is important. This poll will determine where the yellowtail are going to bite best.
So give it your best guess and vote!
I know you all want to me to go back to TJ and have the best/worst time of my life but that will have to wait for another weekend.
Besides I'm stopping in Playas to say hi to my girl on the way home. I need to bring her a nice big... fish!:yes:

fishbuck - 7-1-2008 at 03:41 PM

My poll is just not getting any love!
Okay, I dropped my reels at the shop for a tuneup and new line. I gotta make a decision soon because I need to call ahead and find a boat.
I'm leaning towards Bola because is almost a sure thing. Whereas San Q could turn into a rockcod trip.
So here is your chance to be part of an epic baja fishing adventure... Fishbuck style!
So just vote!:yes:

[Edited on 7-1-2008 by fishbuck]

BajaWarrior - 7-1-2008 at 04:46 PM

Save the gas, go to T.J.:biggrin:

Diver - 7-1-2008 at 04:51 PM

OK so lets look at the odds;

What is the chance that you will catch fish in SQ ?? 10:1 ?

What is the chance that you will catch fish in BLA ?? 1:1 ?

What is the chance that you will ..... catch a lady in TJ ?? ????

I'd go for the better odds. :lol::lol::lol:

Paulina - 7-1-2008 at 05:04 PM

My vote is for Bahia. This was caught last week. Trolling pink Mirrolure. Orange with tiger stripes worked just as well.

Blame it on the lucky hat.

P<*)))><

ELINVESTIG8R - 7-1-2008 at 05:06 PM

Nice Fish!!!

Diver - 7-1-2008 at 05:40 PM

Nice Hat !!

Nice fishing attire actually; rather unique I'd say !! :lol:

A well-behaved woman could never pull off that look - marvelous !! :biggrin:

You really think he was after the Mirrolure ?? :lol::lol::lol:

[Edited on 7-2-2008 by Diver]

Paulina - 7-1-2008 at 05:54 PM

Hey Diver,

That was the day that I had to turn my fishing shirt inside out. After that, it was only bloody on one side!!!! You must have missed the fishing attire thread that I started pre- trip.

Anyway, yes, unique. Only one person called me the "bag lady" of fishing. Who cares what I look like, I catch fish. I have the rule; if you don't like what you see, you don't have to look again.

Saludos!
P<*)))>{

Diver - 7-1-2008 at 06:15 PM

I like what I see !!
Hope to meet you guys some day !

You should see some of my fishing outfits !! :lol:

BTW, how much for the hat ?? :biggrin:
I'll buy anything that helps catch fish !! :biggrin:

capt. mike - 7-1-2008 at 06:49 PM

no question Buck - go to SQ and stay cool!!
you can do BOLA by air anytime.

fishbuck - 7-1-2008 at 07:18 PM

The boat? That's not from Bola. Is that from San Felipe? Or San Diego?
That looks like a longrange San Diego boat and a kelp patty yellow.

[Edited on 7-2-2008 by fishbuck]

Ken Bondy - 7-1-2008 at 07:43 PM

Paulina you are amazing :D That's a great jurel. What is the boat?

Happy 4th to you and Dern. Hope to see you guys in MB soon.

++Ken++

4baja - 7-1-2008 at 07:54 PM

buck go to bola, it may be hot but there are fish. leaveing tomorrow and will be there for 2 1/2 weeks with a ton of buddys. hopefully there will be a ton of this quility fish like last year. give me a holler if you see my boat.

july 2007 small 019.jpg - 35kB

aha baja - 7-1-2008 at 11:21 PM

Hey P. Nice fresh hog your holdin! Saw another one big and fat and the fish was tambien!:lol::fire::coolup:

[Edited on 01-19-2004 by aha baja]

[Edited on 01-19-2004 by aha baja]

vacaenbaja - 7-1-2008 at 11:37 PM

Just came back from BOLA. Firecracker yellows bitting early in the am with bigger fish at around 9:00am or so at piojo,
smith and al the other usual reefs and rock piles. free diver friends cleaned up on large halibut and grouper. Two of our crew ventured for one day to San Francisquito and caught
half a dozen white seabass from 20lbs on up. Pleanty of bait in the water as well as yellowtail and snappers.
Fished five days in a row. no wind issues. large chrome krocks and blue and white AA tadys were doing the job.
Real hot bring sunblock and a hat. Eco crew on zodiac inflatable checking 4 licsence etc. Raphael with panga Becky and Isabel good guide. Knows the spots.

fishbuck - 7-2-2008 at 12:26 AM

Yep, nice report. About what I figured.
As much as I don't want to drive all the way Bola it's the right spot.
SQ's bite is still really 1 month away with some early action starting now.
Rafael's panga? Where is he at. Any contact info?
Thanks!

vacaenbaja - 7-2-2008 at 02:42 AM

I forgot his last name. He lives south of town on the road towards Gecko. just past the cementary up the hill. His house has a killer view of the bay. At Raquel and Larrys they have a poster with the names and owners of pangas that are members of some kind of eco tour group or something.
Either way Ruth there will be able to get a hold of him for you via radio or someone. Larry is most likely in Ensenada
spending the hottest part of the summer someplace cooler!
Most all the other pangas follow Rafas lead. When he moves the "fleet" moves. Real good for a guy with no gps/ fish finder. The mother ship from San Felipe was there with all their pangas. Therre was a load of bad gas that put a number of boats both local and private out of comission for about four days while the local mechanics had to twice drain and purge fuel systems. The fuel had both diesel and water contamination. One boat had to completely drain eighty gallons of fuel. This was from the gas station on the west side of town. Do fill up at El Rosario as diesel was not reaching BOLA at a regular basis. The road is being worked on in certain sections. It looks like they are actually are trying to either make it wider or add a shoulder/ emergency turn off area at various parts. Have your cooling system in A1 shape. Its real hard on vehicles with AC on and towing.

[Edited on 7-2-2008 by vacaenbaja]

4baja - 7-2-2008 at 05:57 AM

were did they get the halibut? allso bait at the usual spots off the launch ramp and lighthouse?

Cypress - 7-2-2008 at 06:41 AM

Glad to here some really good fishing reports.:bounce:That's the kind of fishing that has made the Sea of Cortez famous.:bounce: The gill net fleet must not be very active in the BOLA area.:D

fishbuck - 7-2-2008 at 04:30 PM

Okay, the polls have closed and I'm booked to fish with Diaz at Bola. I'm not sure if I get my friend Jose Rojas or not. He might already be fishing with someone.
I told them I want to fish the big island for the Jurel Grandes. No pequeños!
Now I need to figure out how to ask them to make bait in spanish.

Bajaboy - 7-2-2008 at 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fishbuck

San Pablo!

Hey Buck-thought of you on my trip down to Asuncion. Stopped for my FMT bright and early on Monday morning. Walked in the immigration office to find 2 young ladies working the counter. I couldn't believe my eyes. And they were very efficient.

Have fun chasing your tail as I know where I'll be fishing

Zac

fishbuck - 7-2-2008 at 04:54 PM

Well, I don't need an FMT but maybe I can think of some questions to stop an ask.;D
I hope you guys find some fish!:cool:

fishbuck - 7-3-2008 at 05:14 PM

Okay, I took a vacation day today to rest and get ready for what should be 1 fun filled but very compact weekend.
Old Green is just about ready. All fueled up and tires balance,rotated and aired up.
So I need to unload my motocross bike and all the other unecessary for baja stuff.
Fishing reels and rods ready for action! New line, new drag washers etc...
I'm still trying to hunt down a local Mexican fishing license. I haven't been worrying about it thinking the boat has me covered. But if we get checked I will be very proud to present my license to the Mexican game warden.
So I gotta go!

Paulina - 7-4-2008 at 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by fishbuck
The boat? That's not from Bola. Is that from San Felipe? Or San Diego?
That looks like a longrange San Diego boat and a kelp patty yellow.

[Edited on 7-2-2008 by fishbuck]

Sorry not to reply sooner, but I'm at the internet mercy of our neighbor, (who is most kind and understanding of my internet addiction). I only bugg her every other day for my Nomad fix.

The boat was the Andrea Lynn out of San Felipe. We are leaving PB tomorrow at 0'dark thirty, heading for Bahia.

Saludos!
P<*)))>{