BajaNomad

New to San Diego..

venus - 7-3-2008 at 10:22 AM

Hi everyone,

I just moved to San Diego, and I was just wondering how long it takes to get to the best spots in Baja??

BajaGeoff - 7-3-2008 at 12:12 PM

That is a pretty broad question venus. What are you looking to do in Baja?

woody with a view - 7-3-2008 at 12:19 PM

if you mean surfspots, there are none. dirty water, sharks, human shadows lurking in the shadow of the cardon, spiders, cartel, snakes, banditos, moondust halfway up your door panel, windy, cold, etc.....

and that's just the spots I know about.:?:

[Edited on 7-3-2008 by woody in ob]

fishbuck - 7-3-2008 at 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by venus
Hi everyone,

I just moved to San Diego, and I was just wondering how long it takes to get to the best spots in Baja??

I'm assuming Venus is a lady.

So Venus, if you can post a picture of yourself maybe I can help you out.;D

No but seriously, the best spot in baja is wherever I am. So that is different all the time depending on weather and fishing conditions.
I'm heading to Bola this evening and it's about 8-10 hour drive.
Now, if you can just post that picture maybe I'll pick you up on my way through San Diego.
Make sure your wearing the proper fishing attire.

:cool:

rpleger - 7-3-2008 at 12:43 PM

The best spot in Baja California is where the least amount of people are ,and has good beaches and fair fishing.

That place is Mulegé

Mango - 7-3-2008 at 02:50 PM

Lots of great places. More or less, once you get south of Ensenada everything is off of one road.

You might want to take a look at the official state tourist website to see some of what Baja has to offer:

http://www.discoverbajacalifornia.com/

Get a map, check out google earth, and search around here. If you let us know what you are interested in doing or seeing and how much time you have to do it in I am sure you will get some good input.

Von - 7-3-2008 at 04:53 PM

Not enough time in ten lives to explore it dive it fish it run it walk it and talk about it......

fishbuck - 7-3-2008 at 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Von
Not enough time in ten lives to explore it dive it fish it run it walk it and talk about it......

There is if you drive fast enough. Or if your a pilot.:cool:

David K - 7-3-2008 at 08:40 PM

Yes, it depends on what you like or want to do!

Baja is 1,000 miles of fun... and then some!

Like beautiful isolated beaches? It takes about 5 hours from San Diego to get to here: http://community-2.webtv.net/boojum2/508

Ken Cooke - 7-3-2008 at 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by venus
Hi everyone,

My suggestions for someone new to Baja would be:

The Observatory in the Sierra San Pedro Martir - on Saturday mornings you can have a free tour! 4 hrs. from San Diego

Valley of the Giants - south of San Felipe 4 1/2 hrs. from San Diego

San Felipe 4 1/2 hrs. from San Diego

But, beware of the heat on the gulf side of the peninsula this time of the year. Still, you would love San Felipe as long as you have a comfortable air-conditioned hotel room that could be used as a jumping off point. Explore EARLY in the morning, or late in the afternoon - return to your room for a nice siesta because the sun is SUPER HOT in the summer.

If you went to the Sierra San Pedro Martir, the Observatory road is paved, and you could stay at Rancho El Coyote in the foothills before you drove up to the mountains. If you camped in the mountains, you'd love it. Nice and peaceful.

wilderone - 7-7-2008 at 08:36 AM

It takes 12 hours.

Ken Cooke - 7-7-2008 at 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wilderone
It takes 12 hours.

I'd probably say 6 hrs to the park entrance from San Diego. 2 to Ensenada - 2 1/2 more to Colonet, and 1 1/2 hrs up the paved road to the park entrance. To the observatory, it depends on conditions, plus I've always traveled there in a lifted 4WD vehicle, so hauling butt up that road was never a problem. But, I've seen small sub compacts also make the trip, and they have to creep up those dirt roads or suffer a tire puncture.

tripledigitken - 7-7-2008 at 10:37 AM

Venus,

We need more information. What do you like to do? Do you camp or motel it? What vehical do you plan to use? And most important how much time do you have for a trip usually?

Ken